Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | RL Art Sales - Copyright Inquiry
So I haven't been on this site in forever but decided to come back on a whim and am a bit rusty on rules and such.

I have gone through the forum rules and code of conduct but as this is a bit of a hybrid for art and sales I wanted to post here before just assuming anything and moving forward unintentionally causing trouble.

When I first got on here I wanted to someday sell pinback buttons of people's dragons and misc designs but at the time didn't have the machine necessary. Now I have one and would like to attempt at selling such goods for preferably real money on the Art Sales Forum.

My question is this-

If someone wants a simple headshot of their original dragon on a button would I be in copyright violation to charge for a button using their dragon's design? I know the designs of the dragons (the artwork) are property of the Flight Rising company itself, and I'm merely a vendor who sells the process of transferring an image onto a button medium.

But I feel like an argument could be made that if you're printing the original artwork even if you're only charging to make the button it still profits off of someone else's work that the customer does not have rights to.

If I made minor edits to the design would that be suitable for sales?

Would these rules be different for FR currency? and would it be a violation for RL currency?

Thanks for reading this rather long question, I greatly appreciate it.
So I haven't been on this site in forever but decided to come back on a whim and am a bit rusty on rules and such.

I have gone through the forum rules and code of conduct but as this is a bit of a hybrid for art and sales I wanted to post here before just assuming anything and moving forward unintentionally causing trouble.

When I first got on here I wanted to someday sell pinback buttons of people's dragons and misc designs but at the time didn't have the machine necessary. Now I have one and would like to attempt at selling such goods for preferably real money on the Art Sales Forum.

My question is this-

If someone wants a simple headshot of their original dragon on a button would I be in copyright violation to charge for a button using their dragon's design? I know the designs of the dragons (the artwork) are property of the Flight Rising company itself, and I'm merely a vendor who sells the process of transferring an image onto a button medium.

But I feel like an argument could be made that if you're printing the original artwork even if you're only charging to make the button it still profits off of someone else's work that the customer does not have rights to.

If I made minor edits to the design would that be suitable for sales?

Would these rules be different for FR currency? and would it be a violation for RL currency?

Thanks for reading this rather long question, I greatly appreciate it.
@all4Him

Its a bit 'complicated'

If you make tangible goods (buttons in this case) of off FR copyrighted material you are allowed to make 5! pieces for RL currency - everyhing over this limit NEEDS to be 'sold' for site currency.

If you draw peoples OCs, generic dragons, monsters whatever and make them ino buttons (things that don't use FR copyrighted material) you can sell as many as you want for RL currency over the site.

Things you would possibly need to enquire about: Selling for FR currency but having shipment paid by the buyer. I send a contact us in once about this but got no answer (possibly because I asked it as a theoretical question only). You might have more luck.
@all4Him

Its a bit 'complicated'

If you make tangible goods (buttons in this case) of off FR copyrighted material you are allowed to make 5! pieces for RL currency - everyhing over this limit NEEDS to be 'sold' for site currency.

If you draw peoples OCs, generic dragons, monsters whatever and make them ino buttons (things that don't use FR copyrighted material) you can sell as many as you want for RL currency over the site.

Things you would possibly need to enquire about: Selling for FR currency but having shipment paid by the buyer. I send a contact us in once about this but got no answer (possibly because I asked it as a theoretical question only). You might have more luck.
@Ismaiel

Thanks so much for the quick response.

Yes it is definitely a little complicated, we ran into issues with this at a Shirt Shop I previously worked and encounter it every now and then at my current job.

With the 5 is it 5 in total or 5 per customer? Is there a forum or rules page concerning this I missed?

I may have to inquire about shipment, in the past I've had that as a separate transaction and it's usually assumed as an add on cost to the buyer, however it is sometimes just assumed if it's not clearly stated (not sure if I understood your statement?).
@Ismaiel

Thanks so much for the quick response.

Yes it is definitely a little complicated, we ran into issues with this at a Shirt Shop I previously worked and encounter it every now and then at my current job.

With the 5 is it 5 in total or 5 per customer? Is there a forum or rules page concerning this I missed?

I may have to inquire about shipment, in the past I've had that as a separate transaction and it's usually assumed as an add on cost to the buyer, however it is sometimes just assumed if it's not clearly stated (not sure if I understood your statement?).
@all4Him

You pinged the wrong person. :)

As far as I understand it it is a 5 pieces per artist rule. So you are allowed to do a total of 5 things (whatever they may be) in your career as artist.

I meant that the shipment cost is never mentioned in the rules - depending on what ones countries habits of selling are this leaves a big part of the rule open to interpretation.

Example: If I sell a tanglible good for FR currency but ask the buyer to pay for the shipment (and thus could offer worldwide shipping) will FR admins regard this transaction as 'selling a tangible good tor RL currency' - because I DID recive in fact RL currency to perform the shipment with?

This is not cleared up at all sadly.

Here are the rules for artsales. Tangible art is a suppoint of the rules:
http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=81

Look under art sales policies.
@all4Him

You pinged the wrong person. :)

As far as I understand it it is a 5 pieces per artist rule. So you are allowed to do a total of 5 things (whatever they may be) in your career as artist.

I meant that the shipment cost is never mentioned in the rules - depending on what ones countries habits of selling are this leaves a big part of the rule open to interpretation.

Example: If I sell a tanglible good for FR currency but ask the buyer to pay for the shipment (and thus could offer worldwide shipping) will FR admins regard this transaction as 'selling a tangible good tor RL currency' - because I DID recive in fact RL currency to perform the shipment with?

This is not cleared up at all sadly.

Here are the rules for artsales. Tangible art is a suppoint of the rules:
http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=81

Look under art sales policies.
@Ismaiel

Yep that's what I get for being gone for a couple years thanks for telling me!

Ah I see that makes more sense. I wasn't sure about the per customer but wanted to double check.

Ok I get what you mean now, yes I didn't see them mentioned and I'd have to figure that out. Probably would have to count it as a RL transaction on FR as it's a transaction that did originate on the site. Something like an "Add-on" item if you will to the original purchase. The First purchase is for the object itself, the second to receive it, that's why most companies I've seen won't charge you a fee to get it if you will pick it up at the factory or retailer themselves. Something though to definitely inquire about.

I guess a work around could be to charge the customer the RL shipment cost for the equivalent in FR currency. That would be fine in my mind.

Thank you for the link, not sure how I missed that!
@Ismaiel

Yep that's what I get for being gone for a couple years thanks for telling me!

Ah I see that makes more sense. I wasn't sure about the per customer but wanted to double check.

Ok I get what you mean now, yes I didn't see them mentioned and I'd have to figure that out. Probably would have to count it as a RL transaction on FR as it's a transaction that did originate on the site. Something like an "Add-on" item if you will to the original purchase. The First purchase is for the object itself, the second to receive it, that's why most companies I've seen won't charge you a fee to get it if you will pick it up at the factory or retailer themselves. Something though to definitely inquire about.

I guess a work around could be to charge the customer the RL shipment cost for the equivalent in FR currency. That would be fine in my mind.

Thank you for the link, not sure how I missed that!