Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any Tiger & Bunny Fans?
With no new anything since the Rising other than a release of it's English dub and some merch, I'm dying here. Anyone got any good facfic recs or something? Fan comics?

Also who is your favorite character/ character you can relate to the most? They can be seperate if you feel like it's more appropriate.

For instance, my favorite character is Sky High/Keith Goodman for sure, but the character I relate the most to is Ivan because weeby feels and shyness.

General gushing is also encouraged.
With no new anything since the Rising other than a release of it's English dub and some merch, I'm dying here. Anyone got any good facfic recs or something? Fan comics?

Also who is your favorite character/ character you can relate to the most? They can be seperate if you feel like it's more appropriate.

For instance, my favorite character is Sky High/Keith Goodman for sure, but the character I relate the most to is Ivan because weeby feels and shyness.

General gushing is also encouraged.
@critwhal

I watched Tiger and Bunny when it was just released with only English Subtitiles.

I drank SO MUCH Pepsi during that time. It must the constant hero-advertising.

Right now, I don't recall much of the show to really fangirl over it. Maybe if I rewatched it, the nostalgia will drive me to weeb mode. The one thing I truly remember was how great the series was. It was on my "I can't wait for next week" show back then.

I do remember the episode with Tiger's daughter. She'll be a terrifyingly powerful hero or villain if she chooses to be.
@critwhal

I watched Tiger and Bunny when it was just released with only English Subtitiles.

I drank SO MUCH Pepsi during that time. It must the constant hero-advertising.

Right now, I don't recall much of the show to really fangirl over it. Maybe if I rewatched it, the nostalgia will drive me to weeb mode. The one thing I truly remember was how great the series was. It was on my "I can't wait for next week" show back then.

I do remember the episode with Tiger's daughter. She'll be a terrifyingly powerful hero or villain if she chooses to be.
@critwhal Yoooooooo, good to see some TnB love on FR!

I'm in the same boat as Kevi. Watched it as it was being simulcast out of Japan on Hulu and fell in the love with it. Got back into it late last year after I got a friend to watch the entire series and start fangirling with me. I even ended up going into fangirl overdrive and making some custom TnB shirts for us to wear, as well as breeding my own Barnaby and Kotetsu fan dragons.

Alas, while it holds a special place in my heart, I've kinda fallen back out of the fandom. Mostly because of trepidation I have for The Rising. I mean, I'm excited about it, sure, but I've avoided watching it primarily for two reason: a) It signifies the ending of one of my favorite animes, and b) I just... really don't like Ryan Goldsmith's design. I mean, granted, I've heard good things about Ryan, but something about his visual design just irks me.

As for my favorite, I'd have to say it's Barnaby, although funnily enough it didn't start out that way at all. I always kind of liked Barnaby, but it took me watching the show about 2-3 times and having some fridge-horror about his situation (as well as some added character development from the comic anthology, although those are probably considered non-canon) and he slowly worked his way to my number 1 spot.

As for who I relate to most, well... I'd have to say Fire Emblem, although I've always kind of had mixed feelings about her/them. Initially I kind of had a distaste for Nathan, since I interpreted her/their behavior as being a parody of gay men/trans women/people who dress outside of their gender norms (didn't really help that I'd heard second-hand about how sometimes Japanese media would lump all of those together...) But then I found out that one of the director's said Nathan was Agender, and... I dunno, it kinda made me reevaluate my interpretation of her/them. Being Genderqueer myself, I have a naturally feminine appearance, so I often find myself "compensating" for that by dressing in a more "stereotypically masculine" fashion. Once I considered that maybe Nathan was doing the same thing I was... well, it made me feel a kind of kinship with her/them. All that said, I still largely suspect that the production crew did kind of lump all of the gay/trans/nonbinary stereotypes together when creating Nathan, considering some of the gross "bait and switch" gags in the series. However, it's at least refreshing to have a character be canonically nonbinary as opposed to the "Their gender? It's a mystery!" statements that used to be common in the animes of yore (not sure about modern times, haven't really kept up). One of the things that does make me want to watch The Rising is to see the character development Nathan gets, since I've heard that the movie goes pretty deep into her/their history.

... Er, sorry I went off on a tangent! But yeah. Love TnB. Glad to see I'm not alone there. Y e p . . .
@critwhal Yoooooooo, good to see some TnB love on FR!

I'm in the same boat as Kevi. Watched it as it was being simulcast out of Japan on Hulu and fell in the love with it. Got back into it late last year after I got a friend to watch the entire series and start fangirling with me. I even ended up going into fangirl overdrive and making some custom TnB shirts for us to wear, as well as breeding my own Barnaby and Kotetsu fan dragons.

Alas, while it holds a special place in my heart, I've kinda fallen back out of the fandom. Mostly because of trepidation I have for The Rising. I mean, I'm excited about it, sure, but I've avoided watching it primarily for two reason: a) It signifies the ending of one of my favorite animes, and b) I just... really don't like Ryan Goldsmith's design. I mean, granted, I've heard good things about Ryan, but something about his visual design just irks me.

As for my favorite, I'd have to say it's Barnaby, although funnily enough it didn't start out that way at all. I always kind of liked Barnaby, but it took me watching the show about 2-3 times and having some fridge-horror about his situation (as well as some added character development from the comic anthology, although those are probably considered non-canon) and he slowly worked his way to my number 1 spot.

As for who I relate to most, well... I'd have to say Fire Emblem, although I've always kind of had mixed feelings about her/them. Initially I kind of had a distaste for Nathan, since I interpreted her/their behavior as being a parody of gay men/trans women/people who dress outside of their gender norms (didn't really help that I'd heard second-hand about how sometimes Japanese media would lump all of those together...) But then I found out that one of the director's said Nathan was Agender, and... I dunno, it kinda made me reevaluate my interpretation of her/them. Being Genderqueer myself, I have a naturally feminine appearance, so I often find myself "compensating" for that by dressing in a more "stereotypically masculine" fashion. Once I considered that maybe Nathan was doing the same thing I was... well, it made me feel a kind of kinship with her/them. All that said, I still largely suspect that the production crew did kind of lump all of the gay/trans/nonbinary stereotypes together when creating Nathan, considering some of the gross "bait and switch" gags in the series. However, it's at least refreshing to have a character be canonically nonbinary as opposed to the "Their gender? It's a mystery!" statements that used to be common in the animes of yore (not sure about modern times, haven't really kept up). One of the things that does make me want to watch The Rising is to see the character development Nathan gets, since I've heard that the movie goes pretty deep into her/their history.

... Er, sorry I went off on a tangent! But yeah. Love TnB. Glad to see I'm not alone there. Y e p . . .
Badge.png
@merethic

I totally get your angle on not wanting to watch the Rising. I felt that too. But I definitely recommend pushing past those feelings. I don't think it's the end of the series, probably because I'm still hoping for a second season, but also because I felt like the film left that as a possibility in it's ending, like it didn't definitively end anything other than itself as a film. Plus that Fire Emblem character development you mentioned is one hell of a doozy. It almost brought me to tears, the only reason I held back was that I didn't want to cause a ruckus. As someone also genderqueer and not 100% straight it really touched me.

And don't worry too much about Ryan. Let's just say you wouldn't have to worry about him showing up in a continuation and leave it at that for avoidance of major spoilers. I didn't care for him much either, and I say that as someone who watched the film. It's not that I don't like him, I just feel apathetic.

And frankly, I don't blame you for falling out of the fandom. It's rough in there, especially if you get tired of all the Kotetsu/Barnaby shipping. Like yeah I ship it, but it's so gratuitous... I want to see something fresh happen. That's what a fandom is for!
@merethic

I totally get your angle on not wanting to watch the Rising. I felt that too. But I definitely recommend pushing past those feelings. I don't think it's the end of the series, probably because I'm still hoping for a second season, but also because I felt like the film left that as a possibility in it's ending, like it didn't definitively end anything other than itself as a film. Plus that Fire Emblem character development you mentioned is one hell of a doozy. It almost brought me to tears, the only reason I held back was that I didn't want to cause a ruckus. As someone also genderqueer and not 100% straight it really touched me.

And don't worry too much about Ryan. Let's just say you wouldn't have to worry about him showing up in a continuation and leave it at that for avoidance of major spoilers. I didn't care for him much either, and I say that as someone who watched the film. It's not that I don't like him, I just feel apathetic.

And frankly, I don't blame you for falling out of the fandom. It's rough in there, especially if you get tired of all the Kotetsu/Barnaby shipping. Like yeah I ship it, but it's so gratuitous... I want to see something fresh happen. That's what a fandom is for!
@kevi

Dude, I was thinking of rewatching the series too! I don't rewatch many series, but I just remember having such a good time with this series, It really feel the need to! It doesn't help that I have a roommate who hasn't seen it, and I really think she would like it, so I want to watch it with her! The unfortunate part is that she has a super busy schedule, so it's hard to get a hold of her for a long time.
@kevi

Dude, I was thinking of rewatching the series too! I don't rewatch many series, but I just remember having such a good time with this series, It really feel the need to! It doesn't help that I have a roommate who hasn't seen it, and I really think she would like it, so I want to watch it with her! The unfortunate part is that she has a super busy schedule, so it's hard to get a hold of her for a long time.