Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Ever thought about learning a language?
1 2 3
Have you ever thought about learning a second language? I'm assuming most people here speak English as their native language (including myself) but whether that is true or not here is a topic to discuss such things!

I have friends that leave in Italy, and their native language is Italian. They can write in English though they cannot actually speak it, so Skype calls are nearly impossible. However, it has inspired me to study and learn Italian.

Ciao, piacere di conoscerti!
Have you ever thought about learning a second language? I'm assuming most people here speak English as their native language (including myself) but whether that is true or not here is a topic to discuss such things!

I have friends that leave in Italy, and their native language is Italian. They can write in English though they cannot actually speak it, so Skype calls are nearly impossible. However, it has inspired me to study and learn Italian.

Ciao, piacere di conoscerti!
"My name is Shuck."

light_banner.png
Bonjour, enchantée ! I love learning languages! Growing up in Canada, I learned French all through school and now it's my minor in university - I also took Japanese classes in high school and now I'm teaching myself German. :)

Have you signed up for Duolingo? It's a really amazing tool, I'm so glad I've found it. My great-grandmother had to learn German to speak to her husband's family and all she had was a pocket English-German dictionary, I'm so thankful for technology... :")
Bonjour, enchantée ! I love learning languages! Growing up in Canada, I learned French all through school and now it's my minor in university - I also took Japanese classes in high school and now I'm teaching myself German. :)

Have you signed up for Duolingo? It's a really amazing tool, I'm so glad I've found it. My great-grandmother had to learn German to speak to her husband's family and all she had was a pocket English-German dictionary, I'm so thankful for technology... :")
@aprilrain Ah! Si, I have signed up for Duolingo! It's my primary tool at the moment along with other sources for the Italian alphabet and grammar, such as this. My Italian friends also help me practice!
@aprilrain Ah! Si, I have signed up for Duolingo! It's my primary tool at the moment along with other sources for the Italian alphabet and grammar, such as this. My Italian friends also help me practice!
"My name is Shuck."

light_banner.png
Yes! I'm learning German right now but I plan to learn Thai because I want to talk to my aunts and uncles better. Also Is duolingo a good site to learn?
Yes! I'm learning German right now but I plan to learn Thai because I want to talk to my aunts and uncles better. Also Is duolingo a good site to learn?
myriad_pixels_final.gif tumblr_inline_mwnarxpRyn1rbfrbj.png tumblr_mmku31gxWj1s8k4mqo1_100.gif tumblr_inline_mgndxoz9zS1qgc2ta.png tumblr_md4lwrCK0E1qlajmo.gif mini_meulin__free_icon__by_ran_hime-d5kut4i.gif meulin_pixel_art_by_lauralac-d5jlfme.gif nepeta___meulin_ministrife_icon_by_herpyderpos-d7jeh8m.gif tumblr_mcy2wdbQai1qesb9j.png
I'd love to learn Latin, but everyone looks at me like I'm crazy whenever I say that. Spanish would be practical, though I've tried more than once to learn it.
I'd love to learn Latin, but everyone looks at me like I'm crazy whenever I say that. Spanish would be practical, though I've tried more than once to learn it.
eswSnrS.png
MUYNhfy.png
kCHWEjf.png
mlSrRbK.png
JHkKimP.png
8B7LZd5.png
I am three hours ahead of FR, ping if you need me.
@Shadowkat One of my best friends took Latin all through high school and college, she loves it! It's also a useful basis if you want to learn Romance languages later on, and super useful if you want to do anything in a medical or scientific field, since it's often used in medical terminology and scientific names. I think that "because I want to" is a perfectly valid reason to learn any language (I mean, I'm learning Old English right now, sooo), but that doesn't mean that Latin isn't very useful or practical! ^^

I speak English, studied French for about eight years, took German for a summer, and am learning Old English and American Sign Language right now. I really love languages, I just want to learn all of them~ I'm also studying to be a TESOL teacher, and I'm in a class on Second Language Acquisition right now, so I'm hoping that will be helpful in both teaching English and learning languages myself. =D

I don't plan to continue with Old English formally after I graduate at the end of this semester, but I want to become fluent in ASL, and I'm going to be enrolling in an ASL interpreter training program as well as applying to masters' programs in Linguistics.
@Shadowkat One of my best friends took Latin all through high school and college, she loves it! It's also a useful basis if you want to learn Romance languages later on, and super useful if you want to do anything in a medical or scientific field, since it's often used in medical terminology and scientific names. I think that "because I want to" is a perfectly valid reason to learn any language (I mean, I'm learning Old English right now, sooo), but that doesn't mean that Latin isn't very useful or practical! ^^

I speak English, studied French for about eight years, took German for a summer, and am learning Old English and American Sign Language right now. I really love languages, I just want to learn all of them~ I'm also studying to be a TESOL teacher, and I'm in a class on Second Language Acquisition right now, so I'm hoping that will be helpful in both teaching English and learning languages myself. =D

I don't plan to continue with Old English formally after I graduate at the end of this semester, but I want to become fluent in ASL, and I'm going to be enrolling in an ASL interpreter training program as well as applying to masters' programs in Linguistics.
lZB1YEe.png
How cute, so many people wants to learn my language :D I'm italian so my secondary language is english, roles are reversed lol! Feel free to ask if you need some help about it.

Uhm, I praticed a little spanish and I would like to learn it better, it's somewhat easier to learn for me because lots of grammar rules are similar to italian.
I also have a thing for arabian writing, their calligraphy is a stunning form of art that inspires me a lot, but if I should decide to learn a new language for work I think I would choose chinese. It's a beautiful language, easier than many think (according to people who study it, it's very easy to speak but very hard to write) and stylish.
How cute, so many people wants to learn my language :D I'm italian so my secondary language is english, roles are reversed lol! Feel free to ask if you need some help about it.

Uhm, I praticed a little spanish and I would like to learn it better, it's somewhat easier to learn for me because lots of grammar rules are similar to italian.
I also have a thing for arabian writing, their calligraphy is a stunning form of art that inspires me a lot, but if I should decide to learn a new language for work I think I would choose chinese. It's a beautiful language, easier than many think (according to people who study it, it's very easy to speak but very hard to write) and stylish.
[quote name="MeulinLejion" date="2015-03-01 14:03:28"]Yes! I'm learning German right now but I plan to learn Thai because I want to talk to my aunts and uncles better. Also Is duolingo a good site to learn?[/quote] Duolingo is probably one of the better free-to-use websites out there, at least from my experience! It even gives you the option to speak into your microphone to practice speaking in the language you chose. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me to good as it could never pick up on what I was saying though you may have better experience with it. One flaw I may point out, though, is that the explanations they give you for the grammar are poor and difficult to understand so other sources are a must. Other than that, it's a website I use everyday! [quote name="InariOkami" date="2015-03-01 15:22:38"]How cute, so many people wants to learn my language :D I'm italian so my secondary language is english, roles are reversed lol! Feel free to ask if you need some help about it. Uhm, I praticed a little spanish and I would like to learn it better, it's somewhat easier to learn for me because lots of grammar rules are similar to italian. I also have a thing for arabian writing, their calligraphy is a stunning form of art that inspires me a lot, but if I should decide to learn a new language for work I think I would choose chinese. It's a beautiful language, easier than many think (according to people who study it, it's very easy to speak but very hard to write) and stylish.[/quote] I took Spanish for 3 years in school, BARELY passed the first time and failed the next two. I dislike Spanish so it wasn't a language I considered learning. :'D Though, like you said, Italian does have some similar grammar rules to Spanish so it was easier for me to catch onto.
MeulinLejion wrote on 2015-03-01 14:03:28:

Duolingo is probably one of the better free-to-use websites out there, at least from my experience! It even gives you the option to speak into your microphone to practice speaking in the language you chose. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me to good as it could never pick up on what I was saying though you may have better experience with it.

One flaw I may point out, though, is that the explanations they give you for the grammar are poor and difficult to understand so other sources are a must. Other than that, it's a website I use everyday!
InariOkami wrote on 2015-03-01 15:22:38:

I took Spanish for 3 years in school, BARELY passed the first time and failed the next two. I dislike Spanish so it wasn't a language I considered learning. :'D Though, like you said, Italian does have some similar grammar rules to Spanish so it was easier for me to catch onto.
"My name is Shuck."

light_banner.png
I took German in school but I've forgotten quite a bit of it. I want to pick it up again, but I'm also thinking of applying to school in Norway, so it makes me think I should learn Norwegian instead, but I don't think my chances of getting in are all that great. Although I'd love to learn Norwegian anyway. It's on the list of languages I want to learn. Which is constantly getting longer. Right now it consists of German, Danish, Faroese, Norwegian, Finnish, Nahuatl, and maybe Swedish.
I took German in school but I've forgotten quite a bit of it. I want to pick it up again, but I'm also thinking of applying to school in Norway, so it makes me think I should learn Norwegian instead, but I don't think my chances of getting in are all that great. Although I'd love to learn Norwegian anyway. It's on the list of languages I want to learn. Which is constantly getting longer. Right now it consists of German, Danish, Faroese, Norwegian, Finnish, Nahuatl, and maybe Swedish.
I took Spanish in high school and college and then Japanese in college as well. I can still understand Spanish but I can't speak it anymore, Japanese less so. I messed around with Nahuatl with my anthropology minor but I can't say I even know much, lots of people here don't even know what that is @Korvus :)
I took Spanish in high school and college and then Japanese in college as well. I can still understand Spanish but I can't speak it anymore, Japanese less so. I messed around with Nahuatl with my anthropology minor but I can't say I even know much, lots of people here don't even know what that is @Korvus :)
tumblr_nm1sm0uXkM1tfzajgo3_r1_75sq.gif tumblr_inline_ngn0n8JKde1qk8bj1.png gAOT387.png 11031865.png
1 2 3