Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Rise of the Guardians [fic]
Not a Nuzlocke, just something to pass the time with, basically ^_^ I hope you all enjoy! I'll be trying to follow my Lair's growth as chronologically as I can; as if right now my lair is big and going to be bigger, so hopefully I can keep up. Feel free to leave your comments and I'm more than happy to add any of you to the ping list.

Enjoy!

[ Chapters ]
I. Waking up Dazed
II. Yours, Mine... Ours?
Not a Nuzlocke, just something to pass the time with, basically ^_^ I hope you all enjoy! I'll be trying to follow my Lair's growth as chronologically as I can; as if right now my lair is big and going to be bigger, so hopefully I can keep up. Feel free to leave your comments and I'm more than happy to add any of you to the ping list.

Enjoy!

[ Chapters ]
I. Waking up Dazed
II. Yours, Mine... Ours?
3ghrpME.png
I. Waking up Dazed

Blinking light green eyes open, Coel looked around the reedy area where he slept, confused and dazed. Where was he? Why was he here? What was going on? Questions and panic rose within him as he took a look around. Rising to his feet, the Guardian gave the area the once over, ridges furrowing. 'Coel...' Came a whispered voice, startling the great beast from his thoughts. 'Coel... take a look around. You are in the Windswept Plateau,' the voice continued, as Coel looked, the name sounding like home than a strange place he had only woken up in.

"Why am I here?" Tried Coel, as he moved slowly, being careful not to trod through or ontop of the reeds. 'Your Search begins,' said the voice. 'You will know what you're Searching for, once you've found it.' Confused, Coel moved to look behind him, the voice sounding so close but yet so far. "Why?" He asked, but the idea of 'the Search' didn't feel unfamiliar. 'You are Guardian. This is your task. Find your Charge, begin your life.' Wih that, a gentle breeze blew over Coel's yellow-white scales, and using it as a surge of energy, he took off, leaving the Zephyr Steppes without a second glance back.
-~-

Years passed. Coel flew from Wind, to Arcane, to Fire, learning and seeking and protecting this absurd idea of finding 'his Charge'. He soaked up information about his life, about his flight, about the voice he had heard that told him to go. From Fire he travelled to Ice, then from Ice back to Wind. He was sulky; growing and growing and searching only to be rebuffed at every chance. Would he ever find his Charge? He had to. He couldn't let the Windsinger down. "You!" Cried a voice from the east, and before Coel had the chance to turn his head he was tackled, the smaller, brightly coloured Dragon launched at him and knocked him down.

Coel isn't a small dragon by any means, but this little purple femme had him rolling.

"It's you!" She yelled, claws digging unhelpfully into Coel's side, as she scrambled over him with all the grace a Guardian of their size could have. She was a full ten feet smaller in every sense than Coel, but her speed made up for it all. "Me?" Coel spluttered, getting to his feet as he looked down at the red and purple guardian. "Yes! I... This is going to sound weird but ... I have this feeling about you," Coel's stomach twisted. "Am... Am I your Charge?" The female Guardian stopped, completely frozen, before she started laughing.

"No! Oh, Windsinger no. I found my Charge a long time ago," Lifting a clawed hand she pointed to the similar bodied Fae flitting about, and Coel let out a sigh. "His name is Xerxes." Coel nodded, before the Guardian female gasped and began to speak once more. "I'm Dez, by the way! Windsinger how rude of me just to come barreling out of the reeds like some juvenile hatchling! You must think I'm crazy, I'm not!" Coel wordlessly nodded, but there was faint smile tugging at his mouth.

"Come, I'll introduce you to every-" Coel shook his head at the offer, tail waving in dismissal. "I can't, I'm sorry. I can't stay for very long. I'm still on my Search, and-" Dez nearly looked ready to pounce again as she turned with such a quickness Coel hadn't seen in many Guardians before. "That's fine!" She chirped, making Coel frown. "You can settle for a short while, and when that itch to leave comes, feel free to leave! We'll understand." Dez came up along his flank and gave him a shove, not giving the male Guardian much choice but to walk with her.

There weren't very many around, Coel came to learn. Outside of Dez and Xerxes, the majority of the dragons flitted in and out whenever they pleased. It left Coel with a sour taste in his mouth. 'This isn't what I came to find,' He thought, as Dez socialized amongst the others. He sighed, quickly turning to find a den he could call his for a short while to please Dez.

It took some work and some careful treading amongst the Wind Flight's classic reeds, that Coel found a rather large and abandoned area. He was at least a mile or two out from where Dez found him. He stepped into the area, and that was when the warm breeze he had felt back when he 'woke' wrapped around him and combed over his yellow white scales. A sense of purpose, belonging, and concrete fulfilment flooded the Guardian's body, and with a new glint in his eye, Coel realized he had found his Charge.

He was to be a Clan Leader, and he would start that here, in this area of the Windswept Plateau.
I. Waking up Dazed

Blinking light green eyes open, Coel looked around the reedy area where he slept, confused and dazed. Where was he? Why was he here? What was going on? Questions and panic rose within him as he took a look around. Rising to his feet, the Guardian gave the area the once over, ridges furrowing. 'Coel...' Came a whispered voice, startling the great beast from his thoughts. 'Coel... take a look around. You are in the Windswept Plateau,' the voice continued, as Coel looked, the name sounding like home than a strange place he had only woken up in.

"Why am I here?" Tried Coel, as he moved slowly, being careful not to trod through or ontop of the reeds. 'Your Search begins,' said the voice. 'You will know what you're Searching for, once you've found it.' Confused, Coel moved to look behind him, the voice sounding so close but yet so far. "Why?" He asked, but the idea of 'the Search' didn't feel unfamiliar. 'You are Guardian. This is your task. Find your Charge, begin your life.' Wih that, a gentle breeze blew over Coel's yellow-white scales, and using it as a surge of energy, he took off, leaving the Zephyr Steppes without a second glance back.
-~-

Years passed. Coel flew from Wind, to Arcane, to Fire, learning and seeking and protecting this absurd idea of finding 'his Charge'. He soaked up information about his life, about his flight, about the voice he had heard that told him to go. From Fire he travelled to Ice, then from Ice back to Wind. He was sulky; growing and growing and searching only to be rebuffed at every chance. Would he ever find his Charge? He had to. He couldn't let the Windsinger down. "You!" Cried a voice from the east, and before Coel had the chance to turn his head he was tackled, the smaller, brightly coloured Dragon launched at him and knocked him down.

Coel isn't a small dragon by any means, but this little purple femme had him rolling.

"It's you!" She yelled, claws digging unhelpfully into Coel's side, as she scrambled over him with all the grace a Guardian of their size could have. She was a full ten feet smaller in every sense than Coel, but her speed made up for it all. "Me?" Coel spluttered, getting to his feet as he looked down at the red and purple guardian. "Yes! I... This is going to sound weird but ... I have this feeling about you," Coel's stomach twisted. "Am... Am I your Charge?" The female Guardian stopped, completely frozen, before she started laughing.

"No! Oh, Windsinger no. I found my Charge a long time ago," Lifting a clawed hand she pointed to the similar bodied Fae flitting about, and Coel let out a sigh. "His name is Xerxes." Coel nodded, before the Guardian female gasped and began to speak once more. "I'm Dez, by the way! Windsinger how rude of me just to come barreling out of the reeds like some juvenile hatchling! You must think I'm crazy, I'm not!" Coel wordlessly nodded, but there was faint smile tugging at his mouth.

"Come, I'll introduce you to every-" Coel shook his head at the offer, tail waving in dismissal. "I can't, I'm sorry. I can't stay for very long. I'm still on my Search, and-" Dez nearly looked ready to pounce again as she turned with such a quickness Coel hadn't seen in many Guardians before. "That's fine!" She chirped, making Coel frown. "You can settle for a short while, and when that itch to leave comes, feel free to leave! We'll understand." Dez came up along his flank and gave him a shove, not giving the male Guardian much choice but to walk with her.

There weren't very many around, Coel came to learn. Outside of Dez and Xerxes, the majority of the dragons flitted in and out whenever they pleased. It left Coel with a sour taste in his mouth. 'This isn't what I came to find,' He thought, as Dez socialized amongst the others. He sighed, quickly turning to find a den he could call his for a short while to please Dez.

It took some work and some careful treading amongst the Wind Flight's classic reeds, that Coel found a rather large and abandoned area. He was at least a mile or two out from where Dez found him. He stepped into the area, and that was when the warm breeze he had felt back when he 'woke' wrapped around him and combed over his yellow white scales. A sense of purpose, belonging, and concrete fulfilment flooded the Guardian's body, and with a new glint in his eye, Coel realized he had found his Charge.

He was to be a Clan Leader, and he would start that here, in this area of the Windswept Plateau.
3ghrpME.png
[ @LagMonster ~ ]

II. Yours, Mine... Ours?

His realization didn't come without some troubling thoughts. As he made for a nest that night under the fading pink sky, chased with blue, Coel had a sinking realization that he needed to start fleshing his Clan out before the troubles of being alone came tearing at his wings. Being a lonely Leader of a practically non exsitant clan made for some trouble, especially for those so-called predators who hunted in groups.

"You!" Came a familiar shriek as the smaller length of purple and red dashed towards him. "Hey, are you staying? You don't have a lair!" Dez gasped, glancing around the area. Her bright wings were tucking against her sides, and with some thought, Coel noticed she had flown and ran to his spot amongst the reeds. "I... I do have a lair, and I do believe I'm staying." Coel said slowly, not wanting to speak too much, considering Dez had a big enough mouth for the two of them. The purple femme shrieked with the sounds most Guardian's used to gather others, and launched herself at Coel, tangling up and around him in happiness. before she jerked away from him, as if his scales burned her.

"What about your Search?" Dez whispered, staring at him with identical Wind-Flight eyes. "But-! What about your Charge! Did you find it, are you going to find it? How? When will-" It was Coel's turn to take charge, and he quickly whipped a wing over her head, silencing her before she could talk herself into a serious tizzy. "Dez," He started, carefully folding his larger wings back against his flanks. "First of all, I have a name. I'm Coel," He lifted a clawed hand to stop her from talking over him, already showing an Alpha sense over the purple femme. "Secondly, I've found my Charge." Coel stepped back and spread his wings, showing off the territory he had claimed.

The female shrieked and bounced, mirroring a young Guardian's traits instead of a fully grown adult. "Coel! I'm so happy for you! Not many Guardian's find a Charge in their homelands!" She trotted back and forth, her tail lashing excitedly behind her. "Does this mean you're going to start a Clan?" She asked, freezing on the spot as her light green eyes glinted with happiness. "I have to tell Xerxes!" She chirped, and without listening to Coel, she spread her ruby red wings and took off, flying back to the Clan that had taken her in. The male shook his head, a smile tugging at his mouth regardless of how she seemed to steamroll over him.

He turned back to his Charge - his territory, and began to scent mark how large it was, taking into consideration the other faded and fresh scents of the bordering smaller clans. He wasn't about to take them over without any help. Coel sighed, scent marking the borders of his territory before he looked for a place to call the dens. He wasn't sure what was making him do this. He hadn't been part of a Clan before he found this one. How was he going to take care of others if he had never had someone look after himself?

'Windsinger, help me.' Coel prayed, before he set off to find an appropriate location for his den.
-~-

It was dusk by the time Coel had dug enough out of the side of a hill, reeds growing furiously tall on either side of the entrance, giving him some protection against enemies and scouting dragons. His stomach was howling with hunger by the time Coel considered himself finished, and as he exited his new den, something smacked into the side of his neck with some force. Flinching, the Guardian drew back and frilled up, before he saw the flittering Fae known as Xerxes, struggling under the weight of a dead Sun Flecked Fieldmouse. "D-dez will come with more," He gasped, before Coel offered a clawed hand for the mouse to be dropped in.

It wasn't much, but it could quell the howling hunger for a short while, until he could hunt for his own.

As predicted, the female Guardian came barrelling with a satchel of food hanging from her mouth, and without the clumsy 'dash now, think later' gait she was able to place the satchel of food down and grin up at Coel. "Some food for your stores! You have one of those, right? Please tell me you don't just have a central den," She frowned suddenly, and the way it looked on her, it struck such a chord in Coel's body he never wanted to see her upset like that again. But, her words were true. He had only dug out what was enough for him, without any thought of food storage or nesting dens, or anything. "I haven't finished," Coel said with some certainty.

"Oh. Alright. Well, Xerxes and I shall leave you to it, then. I can smell your scent markers, so that's always good." Dez said, making no attempt to actually 'leave' Coel to it, whatever 'it' may be. "If you need help with anything, and I mean anything, let me know, okay? I know I'm a big mouthed small boned Guardian, but-" A leathery whamp on the head from Xerxes cut her short. "Ow!" Dez said, before glancing at Coel with a sheepish look. "If you need help," She said with some finality, "then you know where to find us." With that, she turned and headed back, the dark Fae following, zipping back and forth across the back of her head.

Coel didn't start to eat until they were gone, but once the food was gone, he felt more lonely than he ever had when he was on his Search. Sighing, he trudged back into the den and began to carve out secondary rooms, reserving himself to this task for the rest of the night.
[ @LagMonster ~ ]

II. Yours, Mine... Ours?

His realization didn't come without some troubling thoughts. As he made for a nest that night under the fading pink sky, chased with blue, Coel had a sinking realization that he needed to start fleshing his Clan out before the troubles of being alone came tearing at his wings. Being a lonely Leader of a practically non exsitant clan made for some trouble, especially for those so-called predators who hunted in groups.

"You!" Came a familiar shriek as the smaller length of purple and red dashed towards him. "Hey, are you staying? You don't have a lair!" Dez gasped, glancing around the area. Her bright wings were tucking against her sides, and with some thought, Coel noticed she had flown and ran to his spot amongst the reeds. "I... I do have a lair, and I do believe I'm staying." Coel said slowly, not wanting to speak too much, considering Dez had a big enough mouth for the two of them. The purple femme shrieked with the sounds most Guardian's used to gather others, and launched herself at Coel, tangling up and around him in happiness. before she jerked away from him, as if his scales burned her.

"What about your Search?" Dez whispered, staring at him with identical Wind-Flight eyes. "But-! What about your Charge! Did you find it, are you going to find it? How? When will-" It was Coel's turn to take charge, and he quickly whipped a wing over her head, silencing her before she could talk herself into a serious tizzy. "Dez," He started, carefully folding his larger wings back against his flanks. "First of all, I have a name. I'm Coel," He lifted a clawed hand to stop her from talking over him, already showing an Alpha sense over the purple femme. "Secondly, I've found my Charge." Coel stepped back and spread his wings, showing off the territory he had claimed.

The female shrieked and bounced, mirroring a young Guardian's traits instead of a fully grown adult. "Coel! I'm so happy for you! Not many Guardian's find a Charge in their homelands!" She trotted back and forth, her tail lashing excitedly behind her. "Does this mean you're going to start a Clan?" She asked, freezing on the spot as her light green eyes glinted with happiness. "I have to tell Xerxes!" She chirped, and without listening to Coel, she spread her ruby red wings and took off, flying back to the Clan that had taken her in. The male shook his head, a smile tugging at his mouth regardless of how she seemed to steamroll over him.

He turned back to his Charge - his territory, and began to scent mark how large it was, taking into consideration the other faded and fresh scents of the bordering smaller clans. He wasn't about to take them over without any help. Coel sighed, scent marking the borders of his territory before he looked for a place to call the dens. He wasn't sure what was making him do this. He hadn't been part of a Clan before he found this one. How was he going to take care of others if he had never had someone look after himself?

'Windsinger, help me.' Coel prayed, before he set off to find an appropriate location for his den.
-~-

It was dusk by the time Coel had dug enough out of the side of a hill, reeds growing furiously tall on either side of the entrance, giving him some protection against enemies and scouting dragons. His stomach was howling with hunger by the time Coel considered himself finished, and as he exited his new den, something smacked into the side of his neck with some force. Flinching, the Guardian drew back and frilled up, before he saw the flittering Fae known as Xerxes, struggling under the weight of a dead Sun Flecked Fieldmouse. "D-dez will come with more," He gasped, before Coel offered a clawed hand for the mouse to be dropped in.

It wasn't much, but it could quell the howling hunger for a short while, until he could hunt for his own.

As predicted, the female Guardian came barrelling with a satchel of food hanging from her mouth, and without the clumsy 'dash now, think later' gait she was able to place the satchel of food down and grin up at Coel. "Some food for your stores! You have one of those, right? Please tell me you don't just have a central den," She frowned suddenly, and the way it looked on her, it struck such a chord in Coel's body he never wanted to see her upset like that again. But, her words were true. He had only dug out what was enough for him, without any thought of food storage or nesting dens, or anything. "I haven't finished," Coel said with some certainty.

"Oh. Alright. Well, Xerxes and I shall leave you to it, then. I can smell your scent markers, so that's always good." Dez said, making no attempt to actually 'leave' Coel to it, whatever 'it' may be. "If you need help with anything, and I mean anything, let me know, okay? I know I'm a big mouthed small boned Guardian, but-" A leathery whamp on the head from Xerxes cut her short. "Ow!" Dez said, before glancing at Coel with a sheepish look. "If you need help," She said with some finality, "then you know where to find us." With that, she turned and headed back, the dark Fae following, zipping back and forth across the back of her head.

Coel didn't start to eat until they were gone, but once the food was gone, he felt more lonely than he ever had when he was on his Search. Sighing, he trudged back into the den and began to carve out secondary rooms, reserving himself to this task for the rest of the night.
3ghrpME.png
@Rileykins I think this is the first story I've gotten to read with a guardian as the actual main focus. Most of them have been "any other dragon + a guardian" but this is actually "guardian + a guardian". XD And Dez is just so hyperactive! Like some puppy!
@Rileykins I think this is the first story I've gotten to read with a guardian as the actual main focus. Most of them have been "any other dragon + a guardian" but this is actually "guardian + a guardian". XD And Dez is just so hyperactive! Like some puppy!
tumblr_inline_nj4elzHhMA1rud3n2.png
Banner made by dragonicmaster
@LagMonster - Yup! ^_^ Dez is very much like a hyperactive puppy, but she mellows out kinda ~ I already have Melody planned out to make her appearance soon, so that'll be fun! I'm glad you enjoy it :)
@LagMonster - Yup! ^_^ Dez is very much like a hyperactive puppy, but she mellows out kinda ~ I already have Melody planned out to make her appearance soon, so that'll be fun! I'm glad you enjoy it :)
3ghrpME.png
@Rileykins Aaw! That's really exciting! :D It's so nice to know that she'll be used in something else as well! I can't wait to see what you do with her!
@Rileykins Aaw! That's really exciting! :D It's so nice to know that she'll be used in something else as well! I can't wait to see what you do with her!
tumblr_inline_nj4elzHhMA1rud3n2.png
Banner made by dragonicmaster