Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | LGBT/MOGAI+ Identity/Label Help! :)
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I have a question that is probobaly going to seem stupid, but other than
stereotypes and society's expectations, what defines what gender you identify as?
A millon apoligies if that came across as offencive in any way, I just felt confused.
I have a question that is probobaly going to seem stupid, but other than
stereotypes and society's expectations, what defines what gender you identify as?
A millon apoligies if that came across as offencive in any way, I just felt confused.
I hope you're having a great day•buy the pretty dragon
@IzaKadu this is such a hard thing to explain, but the best way to sum it up is that you just know. It's an internal feeling of identification with a certain gender as it appears to you. Whatever seems to fit. Societal stereotypes have nothing to do with it.

I guess an easier way to explain it is how you know what your gender is.

Really, it just boils down to what you're most comfortable being called and what feels right. Sometimes, none feel right or all feel right, too, so it can get complicated...

And, although gender doesn't HAVE to correlate with these things, some people know they are a certain gender because they prefer other pronouns or prefer presenting in a manner associated with another gender.

I guess the way I know I'm a demiguy is that I just look inside and my identity registers to me as masculine (which means something different to everybody, but this is how it feels to me) as well as this other abstract feeling I don't feel like explaining in this thread, haha

Anyone else can add their own two cents if they'd like! Just remember not to lump gender in with sex or gender presentation
@IzaKadu this is such a hard thing to explain, but the best way to sum it up is that you just know. It's an internal feeling of identification with a certain gender as it appears to you. Whatever seems to fit. Societal stereotypes have nothing to do with it.

I guess an easier way to explain it is how you know what your gender is.

Really, it just boils down to what you're most comfortable being called and what feels right. Sometimes, none feel right or all feel right, too, so it can get complicated...

And, although gender doesn't HAVE to correlate with these things, some people know they are a certain gender because they prefer other pronouns or prefer presenting in a manner associated with another gender.

I guess the way I know I'm a demiguy is that I just look inside and my identity registers to me as masculine (which means something different to everybody, but this is how it feels to me) as well as this other abstract feeling I don't feel like explaining in this thread, haha

Anyone else can add their own two cents if they'd like! Just remember not to lump gender in with sex or gender presentation
shadow_he.png
@Izakadu: Stereotypes and societal expectations do not dictate your gender identity at all. For the vast majority of trans people it is something that has origins in childhood, because it is something one is born with, and is related to the disconnect between the mind and body referred to as dysphoria.
@Izakadu: Stereotypes and societal expectations do not dictate your gender identity at all. For the vast majority of trans people it is something that has origins in childhood, because it is something one is born with, and is related to the disconnect between the mind and body referred to as dysphoria.
pVm8X4t.gif
@rainsonata
I didn't even know about the word asexual until earlier this year. I saw a forum post mentioning it with links to references and I was curious to learn more since I had never heard of it. Of course, my sex-ed in HS was largely "don't have sex unless you're married" so...
My husband ended up being on the ace spectrum after I came out to him and he did some research to understand, so I think I'm very lucky that the person I'm closest to is asexual too. It can be hard to not know anyone though, but at least there are supportive online communities! ^^

@Vodnici
I've tried so many different labels for my romantic orientation too, I just don't know whats going on with it. My hubby has it so easy, he knows for a fact he's hetero-romantic. Sometimes I'm jealous that he has it figured out so easily, but then I remember he's still struggling with figuring out his sexuality for sure so *shrug* I guess you can't have it all.

@Spectrafyme
Ooooh, that sounds interesting, I'll have to do some more research on that. I hadn't heard of that before! Thanks!
@rainsonata
I didn't even know about the word asexual until earlier this year. I saw a forum post mentioning it with links to references and I was curious to learn more since I had never heard of it. Of course, my sex-ed in HS was largely "don't have sex unless you're married" so...
My husband ended up being on the ace spectrum after I came out to him and he did some research to understand, so I think I'm very lucky that the person I'm closest to is asexual too. It can be hard to not know anyone though, but at least there are supportive online communities! ^^

@Vodnici
I've tried so many different labels for my romantic orientation too, I just don't know whats going on with it. My hubby has it so easy, he knows for a fact he's hetero-romantic. Sometimes I'm jealous that he has it figured out so easily, but then I remember he's still struggling with figuring out his sexuality for sure so *shrug* I guess you can't have it all.

@Spectrafyme
Ooooh, that sounds interesting, I'll have to do some more research on that. I hadn't heard of that before! Thanks!
@Spectrafyme
Nah I get it, no worries. :)

@ScenicScience
Hey it looks like people maybe lost your post in the shuffle? But I will try to help if I can.

Labels are only as good as the comfort they give you. If a particular label isn't making you feel more comfortable, you aren't required to use it. From what you've written, I would be inclined to use words like "transman," "transgender male," "AFAB (Assigned Female at Birth) transgender" "FtM (Female to Male) transgender," etc. But those are just the labels I would come up with, that doesn't mean you have to use them if they don't feel right for whatever reason.

The "transgender" part of those labels doesn't mean you're not a man. All it means is that the society or culture around you is using made-up criteria to decide what is or isn't a man, and obviously those criteria aren't right 100% of the time. The whole "man trapped in a woman's body" is a phrase that I (and a lot of trans people) really don't think is a good description of how we feel. It's more like, "I'm a man that society thinks look so much like a woman that I have to pretend to be one." It's not denial to know that you are a man. Some transgender people choose to undergo medical procedures that help make their bodies look the way they want them to, but also so that their bodies line up with society's criteria for gender, too.

It's also okay to be a man who has strong parenting instincts. Again, this is another one of society's made-up criteria--there is no reason having a child-rearing instinct has anything to do with being a woman. Some women don't have any at all. Some men want to take care of babies all day long. It's also okay to be a man who has "feminine" gestures or who does "feminine" things. I know plenty of men who like to wear make-up and bikinis, sew, scrapbook, play with babies, bake, and lots of other "feminine" things. Some of them are trans, some aren't. It doesn't belittle their gender in any way.

I'm so sorry that you're in a place where you cannot be open about this. I promise you that it can change. There are other people, lots of other people, who are going through what you are experiencing. There are ways to change how you look so society sees you the way you want, or so that you look the way that you feel you want to look. There are men and women (both cis and trans) who will know that you are a man and be attracted to you. And there is a slow, steady push to change society, so that no matter how you look or act, if you say you are a man, society will accept it. There are pockets of society out there right now that are like this, and they're only going to get bigger and stronger. Some families will be accepting, some won't, but it is possible to build your own family, too, one that understands and accepts you.

I don't really know how to end this or where I'm going with it, but if you want to talk any of this out more, through PM or on here, please do. I can try to find some resources to point you toward too. I get where you're coming from, or at least I think I do. It's incredibly painful to know that society isn't seeing you the way you know you're supposed to be seen, and to have gestures or habits that only make that worse (god I don't know what I wouldn't do to magically make my voice deeper). It's hard to figure out how to be safely out, what that looks like, who will accept you and who won't (I'm still closeted with family and mostly closeted at work). About the only thing that has gotten me by is finding people who felt the same way as I do.
@Spectrafyme
Nah I get it, no worries. :)

@ScenicScience
Hey it looks like people maybe lost your post in the shuffle? But I will try to help if I can.

Labels are only as good as the comfort they give you. If a particular label isn't making you feel more comfortable, you aren't required to use it. From what you've written, I would be inclined to use words like "transman," "transgender male," "AFAB (Assigned Female at Birth) transgender" "FtM (Female to Male) transgender," etc. But those are just the labels I would come up with, that doesn't mean you have to use them if they don't feel right for whatever reason.

The "transgender" part of those labels doesn't mean you're not a man. All it means is that the society or culture around you is using made-up criteria to decide what is or isn't a man, and obviously those criteria aren't right 100% of the time. The whole "man trapped in a woman's body" is a phrase that I (and a lot of trans people) really don't think is a good description of how we feel. It's more like, "I'm a man that society thinks look so much like a woman that I have to pretend to be one." It's not denial to know that you are a man. Some transgender people choose to undergo medical procedures that help make their bodies look the way they want them to, but also so that their bodies line up with society's criteria for gender, too.

It's also okay to be a man who has strong parenting instincts. Again, this is another one of society's made-up criteria--there is no reason having a child-rearing instinct has anything to do with being a woman. Some women don't have any at all. Some men want to take care of babies all day long. It's also okay to be a man who has "feminine" gestures or who does "feminine" things. I know plenty of men who like to wear make-up and bikinis, sew, scrapbook, play with babies, bake, and lots of other "feminine" things. Some of them are trans, some aren't. It doesn't belittle their gender in any way.

I'm so sorry that you're in a place where you cannot be open about this. I promise you that it can change. There are other people, lots of other people, who are going through what you are experiencing. There are ways to change how you look so society sees you the way you want, or so that you look the way that you feel you want to look. There are men and women (both cis and trans) who will know that you are a man and be attracted to you. And there is a slow, steady push to change society, so that no matter how you look or act, if you say you are a man, society will accept it. There are pockets of society out there right now that are like this, and they're only going to get bigger and stronger. Some families will be accepting, some won't, but it is possible to build your own family, too, one that understands and accepts you.

I don't really know how to end this or where I'm going with it, but if you want to talk any of this out more, through PM or on here, please do. I can try to find some resources to point you toward too. I get where you're coming from, or at least I think I do. It's incredibly painful to know that society isn't seeing you the way you know you're supposed to be seen, and to have gestures or habits that only make that worse (god I don't know what I wouldn't do to magically make my voice deeper). It's hard to figure out how to be safely out, what that looks like, who will accept you and who won't (I'm still closeted with family and mostly closeted at work). About the only thing that has gotten me by is finding people who felt the same way as I do.
@chaifae
To be honest, I'm not sure how I knew the word asexual. I mean, there's the biological term for it, which is usually used to describe some organisms that reproduce with itself. I guess my mind figured it out in high school that it can be applied to humans as well, but in a different definition.

It's a real shame some high schools don't go into detail on how to handle the sex topic. Not everyone is going to be interested in sex, but it wouldn't hurt to educate high schoolers on what safe sex is. If you can't prevent it from happening, at least you can do is reduce the possibility of complications.

Romantic labels are confusing for me too...I'm not sure what I am exactly. I just know I'm not romantic, but I'm not sure if I can use the aromantic label just yet.
@chaifae
To be honest, I'm not sure how I knew the word asexual. I mean, there's the biological term for it, which is usually used to describe some organisms that reproduce with itself. I guess my mind figured it out in high school that it can be applied to humans as well, but in a different definition.

It's a real shame some high schools don't go into detail on how to handle the sex topic. Not everyone is going to be interested in sex, but it wouldn't hurt to educate high schoolers on what safe sex is. If you can't prevent it from happening, at least you can do is reduce the possibility of complications.

Romantic labels are confusing for me too...I'm not sure what I am exactly. I just know I'm not romantic, but I'm not sure if I can use the aromantic label just yet.
@owlbirb
Thanks for writing that
About the labels in particular
I guess it's hard to find comfort in anything right now though
But I'm definitely having the "what do I call myself!?!?!?!? what word do I use to explain myself properly?" moments going on
I've never found anyone who has felt like me before, so, maybe that's the start of that.
(It's hard to type right now cause I'm crying sorry)
I dont get out much because of either physical/pain issues or not wanting to be seen because i somehow fear the fact that people see me only-as-a-female-human (and that's wrong and it feels like i'm lying, which i hate)
I think I'd like to PM but I wouldn't know where to start, really
I got told today (by my own family nonetheless) that "but you thought you were a man week!!!" (in a mocking way, as if I believed it on a whim and no longer did or that it was a silly passing thought, which is often said about me)...So I'm in a very bad and dark place right now.
@owlbirb
Thanks for writing that
About the labels in particular
I guess it's hard to find comfort in anything right now though
But I'm definitely having the "what do I call myself!?!?!?!? what word do I use to explain myself properly?" moments going on
I've never found anyone who has felt like me before, so, maybe that's the start of that.
(It's hard to type right now cause I'm crying sorry)
I dont get out much because of either physical/pain issues or not wanting to be seen because i somehow fear the fact that people see me only-as-a-female-human (and that's wrong and it feels like i'm lying, which i hate)
I think I'd like to PM but I wouldn't know where to start, really
I got told today (by my own family nonetheless) that "but you thought you were a man week!!!" (in a mocking way, as if I believed it on a whim and no longer did or that it was a silly passing thought, which is often said about me)...So I'm in a very bad and dark place right now.
25tdzx0.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8