Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | "Favorite" Dragons!
Heya all! I'm a newbie here, but already after meeting so many awesome people, finding all kinds of awesome dragons, and learning so much about all the different colors, genes, etc etc, I've found quite quickly that, like everyone else, I've got favorite kinds of dragons that I love more than others. So I thought, wouldn't it be awesome if each user could have a sort of "Favorites" list?

We come across a dragon we think is absolutely beautiful, and, bam, we can add it to our Favorites list. And then later, say we remember that one amazing dragon we saw awhile back... Go to the Favorites list, bam, it's right there for us to admire all over again! This could have a bunch of advantages like seeing a dragon and thinking "wow, that's a beautiful color/pattern combo, I want to breed myself one like that some day!" and adding it to a Favorites, so when you've got the time or availability to breed a new dragon, you can re-visit the old one that inspired you and pick up where the idea left off.

Now I realize this could have a disadvantage if it were publicly displayed on each dragon's page how many people have 'Favorited' it. That might not be so great- people could begin to take it as a sign of superiority or high-class, and some people might even advertise "pay me ___ and I'll favorite your dragon" or "favorite my dragons I'll favorite yours" and then the whole point would be moot. Therefore, with this in mind, it doesn't at all have to be listed on the dragon's page. Maybe, though, the user themselves could see that someone has favorited their dragon- if anything, it'll give them a little smile to themselves that someone else liked their draggy. :)

Anyways, not sure if anyone else has ever thought of something like this... if so and it's already been said and done, my apologies, and I'll use my "newbie-ness" as an excuse. :P If not, well, I hope others share the same idea or think it would be fun to have added to the site! I'm wide open to suggestions and any additional thoughts or ideas related to this, and I'd love to hear ya'll's opinion on this. Thanks so much all!

-Tigger
Heya all! I'm a newbie here, but already after meeting so many awesome people, finding all kinds of awesome dragons, and learning so much about all the different colors, genes, etc etc, I've found quite quickly that, like everyone else, I've got favorite kinds of dragons that I love more than others. So I thought, wouldn't it be awesome if each user could have a sort of "Favorites" list?

We come across a dragon we think is absolutely beautiful, and, bam, we can add it to our Favorites list. And then later, say we remember that one amazing dragon we saw awhile back... Go to the Favorites list, bam, it's right there for us to admire all over again! This could have a bunch of advantages like seeing a dragon and thinking "wow, that's a beautiful color/pattern combo, I want to breed myself one like that some day!" and adding it to a Favorites, so when you've got the time or availability to breed a new dragon, you can re-visit the old one that inspired you and pick up where the idea left off.

Now I realize this could have a disadvantage if it were publicly displayed on each dragon's page how many people have 'Favorited' it. That might not be so great- people could begin to take it as a sign of superiority or high-class, and some people might even advertise "pay me ___ and I'll favorite your dragon" or "favorite my dragons I'll favorite yours" and then the whole point would be moot. Therefore, with this in mind, it doesn't at all have to be listed on the dragon's page. Maybe, though, the user themselves could see that someone has favorited their dragon- if anything, it'll give them a little smile to themselves that someone else liked their draggy. :)

Anyways, not sure if anyone else has ever thought of something like this... if so and it's already been said and done, my apologies, and I'll use my "newbie-ness" as an excuse. :P If not, well, I hope others share the same idea or think it would be fun to have added to the site! I'm wide open to suggestions and any additional thoughts or ideas related to this, and I'd love to hear ya'll's opinion on this. Thanks so much all!

-Tigger
hk0zK67.gif
It kinda came up in the idea about a like button. Anyway, I support a like button/favorite's list.

http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=sug&id=1073073&p=mb

~~~~

EDIT: Fully fleshed out response:

I want some form of FR "like" system. http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=sug&id=1073073&p=mb

People say "just leave a comment or PM." But that is more of a hassle.
"Hey, I like your dragons...oh crap, forget their names, flip back to that tab. Oh, the first one is Unnamed--gee, half the dragons in this lair are Unnamed. Flip back to that dragon, copy and paste the ID number. And I like your other dragons...flip back to that tab, click through the lair again, find the next dragon's name...Oh yeah, but please don't reply to me or say "thank you" or send a random friend request because I'm not really looking to start a conversation here."

I'm sure for some people that don't mind, but for introverts or those with social anxiety, that aforementioned kind of PM is a turn-off. People honestly don't get how much of a hurdle PMing a compliment is to somehow who is shy or otherwise. I don't want to start chatting with random people just to compliment a dragon. As a result, if I like your dragon you will never know. However, if we had an on-site "like" feature, I would totally go through lairs and "like" away. As it is now, there's not a lot of motivation for me to browse other people's lairs.

Yes, there is a currently a Facebook "like" button and a Twitter "tweet" button, but not everyone uses these social media and many people who do don't want to connect their Facebook accounts to their FR accounts and vice versa. For example, they don't want people to find their IRL information by connecting FR to Facebook or they don't want to bog their Facebook page down with a hundred dragons.

I understand people's concerns about "likes" becoming a popularity contest and influencing sales. For that reason, I think "likes" should be reset upon sale or trade. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if FR didn't keep a running count of "likes" at all--for me, "likes" would just be passing on a compliment, and once that alert is read and deleted, if it isn't saved anywhere on site, it wouldn't bother me.

However, FR could also keep "likes" totally private. But it would be a nice feature if dragons you "liked" were kept on a list somewhere so you could go back to get gene ideas, clothing ideas, or just re-read a good biography. Again, this list would be private. It would be nice, but not necessary for the suggestion.

I also understand people's concerns about threads begging for likes. However, if FR kept no running count of likes, that would solve most of this problem. FR could also make "like begging" against the rules. Just because some people would abuse a feature is no reason to not include it--any feature has potential for abuse, after all.

Others have said they don't want people to like their dragons. I wouldn't mind if this feature were optional. In fact, I feel a lot of the communication on this site should be disable-able including pings, PMs, profile comments, Crossroad requests, and friend requests. But those are other suggestions.
It kinda came up in the idea about a like button. Anyway, I support a like button/favorite's list.

http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=sug&id=1073073&p=mb

~~~~

EDIT: Fully fleshed out response:

I want some form of FR "like" system. http://flightrising.com/main.php?board=sug&id=1073073&p=mb

People say "just leave a comment or PM." But that is more of a hassle.
"Hey, I like your dragons...oh crap, forget their names, flip back to that tab. Oh, the first one is Unnamed--gee, half the dragons in this lair are Unnamed. Flip back to that dragon, copy and paste the ID number. And I like your other dragons...flip back to that tab, click through the lair again, find the next dragon's name...Oh yeah, but please don't reply to me or say "thank you" or send a random friend request because I'm not really looking to start a conversation here."

I'm sure for some people that don't mind, but for introverts or those with social anxiety, that aforementioned kind of PM is a turn-off. People honestly don't get how much of a hurdle PMing a compliment is to somehow who is shy or otherwise. I don't want to start chatting with random people just to compliment a dragon. As a result, if I like your dragon you will never know. However, if we had an on-site "like" feature, I would totally go through lairs and "like" away. As it is now, there's not a lot of motivation for me to browse other people's lairs.

Yes, there is a currently a Facebook "like" button and a Twitter "tweet" button, but not everyone uses these social media and many people who do don't want to connect their Facebook accounts to their FR accounts and vice versa. For example, they don't want people to find their IRL information by connecting FR to Facebook or they don't want to bog their Facebook page down with a hundred dragons.

I understand people's concerns about "likes" becoming a popularity contest and influencing sales. For that reason, I think "likes" should be reset upon sale or trade. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if FR didn't keep a running count of "likes" at all--for me, "likes" would just be passing on a compliment, and once that alert is read and deleted, if it isn't saved anywhere on site, it wouldn't bother me.

However, FR could also keep "likes" totally private. But it would be a nice feature if dragons you "liked" were kept on a list somewhere so you could go back to get gene ideas, clothing ideas, or just re-read a good biography. Again, this list would be private. It would be nice, but not necessary for the suggestion.

I also understand people's concerns about threads begging for likes. However, if FR kept no running count of likes, that would solve most of this problem. FR could also make "like begging" against the rules. Just because some people would abuse a feature is no reason to not include it--any feature has potential for abuse, after all.

Others have said they don't want people to like their dragons. I wouldn't mind if this feature were optional. In fact, I feel a lot of the communication on this site should be disable-able including pings, PMs, profile comments, Crossroad requests, and friend requests. But those are other suggestions.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
Thanks for showing me the similar thread! :D After glancing at a few of the posts I see a lot of the against-support is due to what I mentioned, the possibility of it becoming, as one user put it, a "popularity contest" if they were visible. That's why I think it shouldn't really be publically displayed or viewable. Just something a user can keep to themselves- like a personal bookmark that people have for various websites- for their own personal reference, and not something to boast about to others.
Thanks for showing me the similar thread! :D After glancing at a few of the posts I see a lot of the against-support is due to what I mentioned, the possibility of it becoming, as one user put it, a "popularity contest" if they were visible. That's why I think it shouldn't really be publically displayed or viewable. Just something a user can keep to themselves- like a personal bookmark that people have for various websites- for their own personal reference, and not something to boast about to others.
hk0zK67.gif
I hope this becomes a thing because I have seen so many dragons that I loved the look of.
I hope this becomes a thing because I have seen so many dragons that I loved the look of.
Badge-1.pngvWzc3aN.png
Supporting this one, because it does away with the popularity contest but allows for dragonspiration lists!
Particularly useful for people who have certain dragons that they want to track-- like perhaps a friends breeding partner, or a "random front page dragon that looks really great"
Supporting this one, because it does away with the popularity contest but allows for dragonspiration lists!
Particularly useful for people who have certain dragons that they want to track-- like perhaps a friends breeding partner, or a "random front page dragon that looks really great"
Any plans to add something like this? It's pretty much exactly what I want. Sometimes I see a great dragon and just want to keep it in mind. The only way to do that right now is bookmark it or just leave a tab with it open. An organized favorites list would be a great way to keep track of them all!

And totally agree with others who have said to keep it private as to how many favorites a dragon has so as not to become popularity contest.
Any plans to add something like this? It's pretty much exactly what I want. Sometimes I see a great dragon and just want to keep it in mind. The only way to do that right now is bookmark it or just leave a tab with it open. An organized favorites list would be a great way to keep track of them all!

And totally agree with others who have said to keep it private as to how many favorites a dragon has so as not to become popularity contest.
-3 FR / -10 GMT
Support as long as it's private!
Support as long as it's private!
CdZTwZd.png
Wishlist | Art Samples | Deviantart | Custom Bio Examples
Looking for stoned Lvl 25s, preferably either Water or Nature. Preferably pretty or with potential. The ghostier/more halloweeny the better! Willing to offer mixed payment.
I wouldn't support this, as this could easily become a popularity contest.
I wouldn't support this, as this could easily become a popularity contest.
@ToonKuriboh

not if you don't display the number of likes on the dragon's page. it would honestly be very useful to be able to save dragons you like in a private list somewhere
@ToonKuriboh

not if you don't display the number of likes on the dragon's page. it would honestly be very useful to be able to save dragons you like in a private list somewhere
Yya65zH.png