Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Over the Garden Wall
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
I loved the eyes on that wolf monster and the little school for animals. My little sister and I sang that mashed potatoes song for daysssss.
I loved the eyes on that wolf monster and the little school for animals. My little sister and I sang that mashed potatoes song for daysssss.
isjE8eL.gif
@Grimmdragon Yeah! It was nice that the focus was on the sibling relationship and not romantic relationships. It made sense with their age, and it was pretty refreshing, actually.
@Grimmdragon Yeah! It was nice that the focus was on the sibling relationship and not romantic relationships. It made sense with their age, and it was pretty refreshing, actually.
aahh I love OTGW! Seriously one of my favorite cartoons that have come on this year, even if it is just a little mini series. It really had such an oddly nostalgic feel to it, and the story was just really interesting and captivating, not to mention the animation was nicely done. Just a really, really good mini series.
aahh I love OTGW! Seriously one of my favorite cartoons that have come on this year, even if it is just a little mini series. It really had such an oddly nostalgic feel to it, and the story was just really interesting and captivating, not to mention the animation was nicely done. Just a really, really good mini series.
@NormanBabcock Yeah I liked the old-timey feel of it, which may have added to the nostalgic feel. The intro was really cool. It made me feel like I was listening to the radio or having a story read to me. Had the same feeling when I realized they weren't showing it in episodes but Chapters. It was presented really well.
@NormanBabcock Yeah I liked the old-timey feel of it, which may have added to the nostalgic feel. The intro was really cool. It made me feel like I was listening to the radio or having a story read to me. Had the same feeling when I realized they weren't showing it in episodes but Chapters. It was presented really well.
dyk3ud.jpg
I love this show. I actually find it refreshing to have a short series. It felt like a nice book, even the episodes were called chapters. I sort of wish there was more, but I always feel like this after a good book. I like how the major them is not to fear the unknown.

(Spoilers)

I actually expected the dream cloud people to be helpful,or at least think they were. I think the point is not just that good-looking things are bad or bad-looking things are good, but I think the point is that you can never really understand a situation by the surface. Writ and Greg are in uncharted territory(The Unknown) and can not tell what is going to happen next.

My personal theory for the Unknown is that it is just what it sounds. The Unknown is a mysteries place made up of the essence of what is unknown. For Writ and Greg, it is (but not limited to) a place in between life and death; between the world of life and the world of death. They could chose to give up, becoming one of those trees, or they could chose to live on, waking up and going home.
I love this show. I actually find it refreshing to have a short series. It felt like a nice book, even the episodes were called chapters. I sort of wish there was more, but I always feel like this after a good book. I like how the major them is not to fear the unknown.

(Spoilers)

I actually expected the dream cloud people to be helpful,or at least think they were. I think the point is not just that good-looking things are bad or bad-looking things are good, but I think the point is that you can never really understand a situation by the surface. Writ and Greg are in uncharted territory(The Unknown) and can not tell what is going to happen next.

My personal theory for the Unknown is that it is just what it sounds. The Unknown is a mysteries place made up of the essence of what is unknown. For Writ and Greg, it is (but not limited to) a place in between life and death; between the world of life and the world of death. They could chose to give up, becoming one of those trees, or they could chose to live on, waking up and going home.
OTGW effed me up bro.

It was intense without feeling rushed or anything. Hell even the animation and stuff didnt feel 'fast' (compared to something like Adventure Time, which I cant watch bc it makes me feel... a bit anxious because it's so fasted paced and stuff) and yet it wasnt slowed down to anything. Idk how they did that but it was so good.
OTGW effed me up bro.

It was intense without feeling rushed or anything. Hell even the animation and stuff didnt feel 'fast' (compared to something like Adventure Time, which I cant watch bc it makes me feel... a bit anxious because it's so fasted paced and stuff) and yet it wasnt slowed down to anything. Idk how they did that but it was so good.
KRbmL5d.gif15qx1co.giffwluWq4.gif
My girlfriend and I watched it together as it aired. We wanted to give it some viewing numbers, if nothing else.

It was a really beautiful show. I personally like how they connected it to reality, with the frog's stomach glowing and such, because sometimes making it end up as a dream or something unreal feels kinda like a cop-out.

My favorite episode was the one with Auntie Whispers. I can't remember the episode title at the moment, but I loved seeing a relatively common fairy tale situation (the maiden imprisoned by some kind of monster/ogre/witch - supposedly, at least), and I loved how they played with it to really give it a happy ending on all sides. Also, does anyone else feel like Auntie Whispers herself was inspired by Yubaba/Zeniba? I know hags and witches in general feature in a lot of old stories, but some aspects of the design reminded me heavily of those two.
My girlfriend and I watched it together as it aired. We wanted to give it some viewing numbers, if nothing else.

It was a really beautiful show. I personally like how they connected it to reality, with the frog's stomach glowing and such, because sometimes making it end up as a dream or something unreal feels kinda like a cop-out.

My favorite episode was the one with Auntie Whispers. I can't remember the episode title at the moment, but I loved seeing a relatively common fairy tale situation (the maiden imprisoned by some kind of monster/ogre/witch - supposedly, at least), and I loved how they played with it to really give it a happy ending on all sides. Also, does anyone else feel like Auntie Whispers herself was inspired by Yubaba/Zeniba? I know hags and witches in general feature in a lot of old stories, but some aspects of the design reminded me heavily of those two.
ZNhRsiG.png
Credit: Khrysteen
I hope I'm not late for the Over the Garden Wall party...?

I'd just like to say I actually put off watching this series and instantly regretted it when the first minutes of the first episode started playing. The music, my gosh!! The music. Everything fit so well and it gave you this weird feeling of nostalgia...and the animation was so beautiful. I like how the backgrounds can be so detailed yet still have the characters pop out! And everyone's so lovable omg Greg is too precious for this world..my sweet cinnamon roll..and Wilt was so ugh same man I know that feeling when you just want to make a mixtape for someone ahaha. And the storytelling was fantastic I have no words. It's simple and delightfully creepy. 11/10
I hope I'm not late for the Over the Garden Wall party...?

I'd just like to say I actually put off watching this series and instantly regretted it when the first minutes of the first episode started playing. The music, my gosh!! The music. Everything fit so well and it gave you this weird feeling of nostalgia...and the animation was so beautiful. I like how the backgrounds can be so detailed yet still have the characters pop out! And everyone's so lovable omg Greg is too precious for this world..my sweet cinnamon roll..and Wilt was so ugh same man I know that feeling when you just want to make a mixtape for someone ahaha. And the storytelling was fantastic I have no words. It's simple and delightfully creepy. 11/10
@Maripu I like your theory for the Unkwown. In a way I feel like it also helps to weave Beatrice's part of the story into Wirt's and Greg's more easliy. While we view Wirt and Greg we also see bits of Beatrice's version of the Unknown.

@OwlRecluse Whenever I get into a show like OTGW I worry that i won't be able to find something that is similar. In a way it effs me up as well because I fear that I cannot recover from the wonderful story i have experienced it's really cool.

@heroictype I felt bad that I couldn't give it the viewing numbers :( And yes i too thought that auntie whispers was very reminiscent of Yubaba and Zeniba. I wondered if it was a purposeful reference or not, but i'm betting that it was.

@ccrescendoll The OTGW party is never over :P Greg grew on me slowly and had me in tears by the end.
@Maripu I like your theory for the Unkwown. In a way I feel like it also helps to weave Beatrice's part of the story into Wirt's and Greg's more easliy. While we view Wirt and Greg we also see bits of Beatrice's version of the Unknown.

@OwlRecluse Whenever I get into a show like OTGW I worry that i won't be able to find something that is similar. In a way it effs me up as well because I fear that I cannot recover from the wonderful story i have experienced it's really cool.

@heroictype I felt bad that I couldn't give it the viewing numbers :( And yes i too thought that auntie whispers was very reminiscent of Yubaba and Zeniba. I wondered if it was a purposeful reference or not, but i'm betting that it was.

@ccrescendoll The OTGW party is never over :P Greg grew on me slowly and had me in tears by the end.
dyk3ud.jpg
help i can't get over the beast

horrible monsters with attractive voices/singing voices are my weakness
help i can't get over the beast

horrible monsters with attractive voices/singing voices are my weakness
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8