Back

Announcements & News

The latest announcements and Flight Rising news.
TOPIC | Fowl Familiars
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 49 50
That moment I realize apparently WC scrolls were off the market? Had no idea lol
That moment I realize apparently WC scrolls were off the market? Had no idea lol
2jazz2g.jpg
Okay, I'm not 100% naive: Flight Rising has a business to run, so it's not (completely) surprising they're participating in Thanksgiving and Black Friday. It's just disappointing. The eleven elemental holidays are great because they're their own thing in the game universe, with no strong real-life basis. They're apart from any real-life cultural or religious context, with only (northern hemisphere-) geographical ones hinted at (e.g. Crystalline Gala in January for winter, Brightshine Jubilee in June for summer, etc.) Real-life holidays give patronage to the areas that participate in them or, more often, those that they originated from. That doesn't sound too bad in theory - it'd be nice to be exposed to many countries' holidays - but the problem lies in the US' ethnocentrism and world presence. We as a country act like we're the end-all, be-all about [s]an embarrassing number of things[/s] well [i]everything[/i], brushing others aside, and that's not cool. Or true, like, at all. And our holidays are not only not exempt from that, but they also help enforce that attitude. Much to non-US denizens' displeasure, @Finnley: [quote name="Finnley" date="2014-11-27 12:32:34"]Really now, people. If you go through your lives seeing only hurt and exclusion in the actions of others, then your lives will likely be filled with hurt and exclusion.[/quote] If we listen to and address this sort of thing, then maybe we can begin to stop hurting and excluding others. Because intended or not, dismissing or ignoring others is a part of that. Someone tried to say April Fools' was the precedent for this, but I'd say that's a bit different. Though it's still largely Western, it's pretty innocent of Christian and capitalist undertones unlike most such holidays. The chests given at that time were (correct me I'm mistaken) given freely to all extant users like the 1st Anniversary Cakes. It's Thanksgiving in the states today. We've got turkeys in the game for the holiday weekend. I have no patience for people trying to claim it's separate from that. At least the Thanksgiving content's main source is free to participate in, but that brings me to the next bit. The Black Friday thing is another letdown. Lots of people have been expecting the 1-month notice of Coatl scrolls cycling out and/or Wildclaw scrolls cycling back in, the notice being helpful to scrounge together gems monetarily or otherwise. The limited time for the scrolls' (and platinum armours') availability depends on one being either rich in gems or prepared to spend, leaving to miss out. Even those who would buy the gems themselves might not be able to, as payday-awaiting players and international PayPal users have pointed out. If this is to be the future approach to holidays, then so be it. I only hope there'll be staff acknowledgement of it. As things stand now, I'm side-eyeing the upcoming December event.
Okay, I'm not 100% naive: Flight Rising has a business to run, so it's not (completely) surprising they're participating in Thanksgiving and Black Friday. It's just disappointing.

The eleven elemental holidays are great because they're their own thing in the game universe, with no strong real-life basis. They're apart from any real-life cultural or religious context, with only (northern hemisphere-) geographical ones hinted at (e.g. Crystalline Gala in January for winter, Brightshine Jubilee in June for summer, etc.)

Real-life holidays give patronage to the areas that participate in them or, more often, those that they originated from. That doesn't sound too bad in theory - it'd be nice to be exposed to many countries' holidays - but the problem lies in the US' ethnocentrism and world presence. We as a country act like we're the end-all, be-all about an embarrassing number of things well everything, brushing others aside, and that's not cool. Or true, like, at all. And our holidays are not only not exempt from that, but they also help enforce that attitude. Much to non-US denizens' displeasure, @Finnley:
Finnley wrote on 2014-11-27 12:32:34:
Really now, people. If you go through your lives seeing only hurt and exclusion in the actions of others, then your lives will likely be filled with hurt and exclusion.
If we listen to and address this sort of thing, then maybe we can begin to stop hurting and excluding others. Because intended or not, dismissing or ignoring others is a part of that.

Someone tried to say April Fools' was the precedent for this, but I'd say that's a bit different. Though it's still largely Western, it's pretty innocent of Christian and capitalist undertones unlike most such holidays. The chests given at that time were (correct me I'm mistaken) given freely to all extant users like the 1st Anniversary Cakes.

It's Thanksgiving in the states today. We've got turkeys in the game for the holiday weekend. I have no patience for people trying to claim it's separate from that. At least the Thanksgiving content's main source is free to participate in, but that brings me to the next bit.

The Black Friday thing is another letdown. Lots of people have been expecting the 1-month notice of Coatl scrolls cycling out and/or Wildclaw scrolls cycling back in, the notice being helpful to scrounge together gems monetarily or otherwise. The limited time for the scrolls' (and platinum armours') availability depends on one being either rich in gems or prepared to spend, leaving to miss out. Even those who would buy the gems themselves might not be able to, as payday-awaiting players and international PayPal users have pointed out.

If this is to be the future approach to holidays, then so be it. I only hope there'll be staff acknowledgement of it. As things stand now, I'm side-eyeing the upcoming December event.
Signatures.
TURKEYS!!!!! ♥

The decision to add Earth element turkeys to the Boreal Wood was a generous move on the admin’s part and a wonderful nod to a season of bountiful harvests!

Now the Boreal Wood is a one-stop shop for hunting Turkeys, high protein Turkey dinners, Fall Leaves, Deep Earth Geodes, Chests, Winter Wolf Pelts, Yeti, and Morganite jewelry - all at the same time! Yeah, I think I might grind exclusively in the Boreal Wood until this is over! Thank you so much, I've had a blast with this mini-event! XD
TURKEYS!!!!! ♥

The decision to add Earth element turkeys to the Boreal Wood was a generous move on the admin’s part and a wonderful nod to a season of bountiful harvests!

Now the Boreal Wood is a one-stop shop for hunting Turkeys, high protein Turkey dinners, Fall Leaves, Deep Earth Geodes, Chests, Winter Wolf Pelts, Yeti, and Morganite jewelry - all at the same time! Yeah, I think I might grind exclusively in the Boreal Wood until this is over! Thank you so much, I've had a blast with this mini-event! XD
Tundra with the words 'Love is the Brightest Light'
Volunteer Moderator :If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation, please feel free to use the Contact Us form.
[img]http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3150571/sailor-moon-pissed-o.gif[/img] ^^^ literally everyone who bought wildclaw scrolls for a shit ton of treasure when they were gone
sailor-moon-******-o.gif

^^^
literally everyone who bought wildclaw scrolls for a **** ton of treasure when they were gone
V3Exdfp.gif
EEEH MAJI?!
MY SKETCHBOOK
COMMISSIONS
COLISEUM VENUE SKIN CONTEST! I HAVE TO MAKE AN ENTRY RIGHT NO---
---o---

no. I have to finish my nanowrimo thing first.

Gosh dangit. FR y u tempt me so .^.
COLISEUM VENUE SKIN CONTEST! I HAVE TO MAKE AN ENTRY RIGHT NO---
---o---

no. I have to finish my nanowrimo thing first.

Gosh dangit. FR y u tempt me so .^.
Ugh my dragons are only strong enough for going to the bamboo forest place. I can't possibly get to boreal wood :(. I really wanted a turkey familiar! I wonder how much they will sell for
Ugh my dragons are only strong enough for going to the bamboo forest place. I can't possibly get to boreal wood :(. I really wanted a turkey familiar! I wonder how much they will sell for
Ha I can't code… but I did a color! Does that count?
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EYsL4ga.gif[/IM[/img]
Where where where are the WC scrolls?!?!

*happy shrike!*
Where where where are the WC scrolls?!?!

*happy shrike!*
OH NO WILDCLAW SCROLLS ARE COMING BACK

MY WALLET

*sobs*
OH NO WILDCLAW SCROLLS ARE COMING BACK

MY WALLET

*sobs*
She/Hernydra_by_featherblot-d9s5sch.pngFR +3
Yay for turkey familiars! :D
Yay for turkey familiars! :D
my colors!
give and get weird ugly soap or stained game game
give & get medusa tertiary game
pretty dergs for sale v2 (open) next bargain bin next
wyvern-hatchling-fire-pixel.gif
I really like this new update. But honestly, it is a little annoying that pretty much everything online is about the US ^^;
I really like this new update. But honestly, it is a little annoying that pretty much everything online is about the US ^^;
tumblr_oq86i7RK4Z1wnxxc9o1_100.pnggJ2sy5O.pngsnowpea_potted_imp_sig_by_jeanawei-dbl45ag.png4RNC92e.pngtumblr_oq86pf429u1wnxxc9o1_100.png
1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 49 50