Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Food "Conversion"?
1 2 3
I've actually been putting a lot of thought to this lately! I think the "convert to food" involves lots of steps and it works in my clan a lot like this:

My hunters go out into the coliseum and bring back their spoils (my current coli team are my progens -Auren and Melvara- and their second in command, Bitmap). When they return to the lair there's an explosion of hustle and bustle while everyone does their assigned task. Tarot, the clan tanner, takes the fresh kills and skins them, leaving the rest of the carcass with Charcoal, the clan chef. He and Melvara will butcher the meat and sort out the rest of the food gathered from their hunting trip plus any the gathering team brought back during the day.

The lair has a room that we might consider a kitchen. There they wrap the raw meat and fish in parchment, put them into scale baskets and lower them into a hole in the floor filled with ice crystals which is covered by a large battered shield. Some of the tougher cuts are set aside to be dried. Grains, grasses and other plants are kept in a separate store out in the atrium; some of the more flavorful herbs are set aside to be dried as well. There is an alcove above the cold storage (like a large pizza oven) where they store the baskets filled with insects.

The central hub of the lair is a large common room with a fire pit in the center. They have a standing iron grill that can be moved over the fire for cooking, when not in use it holds various jars and containers of spices and herbs. I believe when the "feed" button is pressed that Charcoal (who is an imperial and therefore knows tasty recipes for all four food types) will gather the required amount of food for the meal and with Melvara's help will prepare the food for everyone.

I like to think that raw vs. cooked is a personal choice per each individual dragon. I assume that they could all eat the raw foods if they liked and just cook them because they like the flavor better/ makes some foods easier to eat, like greenpod blooms.

I've also been going through the food section of my hoard and seeing what interesting meals could be made with the various items. Like Auren's (guardian) favorite food is meaty bat or dodo wings in a (top secret!) sweet-spicy blood acorn sauce, while Ganzorig (tundra) likes a salad of bamboo leaves, jungle grass and Hainu eyes covered in honey. Bitmap (ridgeback) is particularly fond of smoked eels, especially yellow-frilled eels as well as grilled shalefin.

And don't even get me started on what my dergs do with all of the non edible stuff! I think about these things all the time!
I've actually been putting a lot of thought to this lately! I think the "convert to food" involves lots of steps and it works in my clan a lot like this:

My hunters go out into the coliseum and bring back their spoils (my current coli team are my progens -Auren and Melvara- and their second in command, Bitmap). When they return to the lair there's an explosion of hustle and bustle while everyone does their assigned task. Tarot, the clan tanner, takes the fresh kills and skins them, leaving the rest of the carcass with Charcoal, the clan chef. He and Melvara will butcher the meat and sort out the rest of the food gathered from their hunting trip plus any the gathering team brought back during the day.

The lair has a room that we might consider a kitchen. There they wrap the raw meat and fish in parchment, put them into scale baskets and lower them into a hole in the floor filled with ice crystals which is covered by a large battered shield. Some of the tougher cuts are set aside to be dried. Grains, grasses and other plants are kept in a separate store out in the atrium; some of the more flavorful herbs are set aside to be dried as well. There is an alcove above the cold storage (like a large pizza oven) where they store the baskets filled with insects.

The central hub of the lair is a large common room with a fire pit in the center. They have a standing iron grill that can be moved over the fire for cooking, when not in use it holds various jars and containers of spices and herbs. I believe when the "feed" button is pressed that Charcoal (who is an imperial and therefore knows tasty recipes for all four food types) will gather the required amount of food for the meal and with Melvara's help will prepare the food for everyone.

I like to think that raw vs. cooked is a personal choice per each individual dragon. I assume that they could all eat the raw foods if they liked and just cook them because they like the flavor better/ makes some foods easier to eat, like greenpod blooms.

I've also been going through the food section of my hoard and seeing what interesting meals could be made with the various items. Like Auren's (guardian) favorite food is meaty bat or dodo wings in a (top secret!) sweet-spicy blood acorn sauce, while Ganzorig (tundra) likes a salad of bamboo leaves, jungle grass and Hainu eyes covered in honey. Bitmap (ridgeback) is particularly fond of smoked eels, especially yellow-frilled eels as well as grilled shalefin.

And don't even get me started on what my dergs do with all of the non edible stuff! I think about these things all the time!
a5jtoDO.png
I was thinking about this this morning! "Is everything alive until we butcher it and convert it to food?" I think that would be a huge hassle, and the hatchlings would have made us keep a lot more familiars.

"Conversion" probably varies from food to food, and/or dragon to dragon. A lot is edible as-is, but some requires removal of spines or shells. My tundra male progen keeps trying different methods of cooking bamboo in an effort to get the mirrors to eat it. No luck yet.
I was thinking about this this morning! "Is everything alive until we butcher it and convert it to food?" I think that would be a huge hassle, and the hatchlings would have made us keep a lot more familiars.

"Conversion" probably varies from food to food, and/or dragon to dragon. A lot is edible as-is, but some requires removal of spines or shells. My tundra male progen keeps trying different methods of cooking bamboo in an effort to get the mirrors to eat it. No luck yet.
My husband has described the process as 'grinding up food into points'. Which is kind of odd when you think most species would probably eat food whole, or at least the meaty bits raw. Maybe we need to grind it into points so the hatchlings can eat it, and all the other dragons go along with this process because they can't be bothered to prep something seperate for them and their children?
My husband has described the process as 'grinding up food into points'. Which is kind of odd when you think most species would probably eat food whole, or at least the meaty bits raw. Maybe we need to grind it into points so the hatchlings can eat it, and all the other dragons go along with this process because they can't be bothered to prep something seperate for them and their children?
In Game of Thrones, dragons only eat cooked meat so maybe that's why they have to process it?
In Game of Thrones, dragons only eat cooked meat so maybe that's why they have to process it?
2ZeGYU1.png
he/him/his
I think of conversion as moving the food from the food part of the hoard to a "dining hall cave" where all the dragons eat together.

The "dining cave" is nicer looking than the rest of the lair and has a huge flat rock that functions as a table. The dragons meet up there and talk over snacks.
I think of conversion as moving the food from the food part of the hoard to a "dining hall cave" where all the dragons eat together.

The "dining cave" is nicer looking than the rest of the lair and has a huge flat rock that functions as a table. The dragons meet up there and talk over snacks.
dR1OCbi.png
My lair once went through a dark time... They did not have food for over a week and a half. (I went on vacation and the hotel charged WAY too much for WiFi, so no FR.)

They remember the days where they had no food, and so in order to prevent that from happening in the future, they have developed systems to regulate food for themselves so they never run out again. Immediately after a successful foraging trip and string of battles in the Coliseum, they will kill and preserve (convert) most of what they have brought back. Two of each plant, fish, insect, and animal are replanted or housed in a sort of 'farm' area just outside the main lair. They are sometimes traded to Crim or Swipp, but it is rare that a species -once captured- is ever missing from the clan's stores.

Some dragons may find this farm idea strange or cruel (especially to the animals and fish) but they were not there. They did not see the starving hatchlings. They did not see the fear in the eyes of all involved. It was terrible. It is not something Jarna will EVER see happen again. Judge her and the clan all you want, they will remember your harsh words when your supplies run low. And there will be no mercy.

(I really do save 2 of everything in my Hoard. Not really for the reason above, but mostly because I want to have stuff to trade with Crim. 500Tx5 every hour adds up.)
My lair once went through a dark time... They did not have food for over a week and a half. (I went on vacation and the hotel charged WAY too much for WiFi, so no FR.)

They remember the days where they had no food, and so in order to prevent that from happening in the future, they have developed systems to regulate food for themselves so they never run out again. Immediately after a successful foraging trip and string of battles in the Coliseum, they will kill and preserve (convert) most of what they have brought back. Two of each plant, fish, insect, and animal are replanted or housed in a sort of 'farm' area just outside the main lair. They are sometimes traded to Crim or Swipp, but it is rare that a species -once captured- is ever missing from the clan's stores.

Some dragons may find this farm idea strange or cruel (especially to the animals and fish) but they were not there. They did not see the starving hatchlings. They did not see the fear in the eyes of all involved. It was terrible. It is not something Jarna will EVER see happen again. Judge her and the clan all you want, they will remember your harsh words when your supplies run low. And there will be no mercy.

(I really do save 2 of everything in my Hoard. Not really for the reason above, but mostly because I want to have stuff to trade with Crim. 500Tx5 every hour adds up.)
@middletone

I usually just think of it as they skin and filet the meat and seafood, prepare it for use in recipes. Plants are dried, preserved, crushed, peeled, or eaten raw. Insects...well i don't eat insects. I guess smaller insects are eaten whole, with seasoning, sauce, and other preparation. Larger insects are broken apart into sections like snow crabs or something.
@middletone

I usually just think of it as they skin and filet the meat and seafood, prepare it for use in recipes. Plants are dried, preserved, crushed, peeled, or eaten raw. Insects...well i don't eat insects. I guess smaller insects are eaten whole, with seasoning, sauce, and other preparation. Larger insects are broken apart into sections like snow crabs or something.
Tundras just make really huge salads. :P
Tundras just make really huge salads. :P
Palefoot Tadhop Desert Rain Frog Companion Ruffletail Tadhop
My headcanon is that each dragon helps prepare the food they eat themselves. Just imagine it- Coatls shucking shellfish and filleting fish. Fae crushing the exoskeletons of insects and setting aside the good stuff inside. Tundras getting rid of the inedible parts of plants and disposing of dead or ruined berries and the like. Wildclaws skinning and plucking animals, and then secretly picking the remaining meat off the bones themselves. Guardians and Imps helping where needed or where they feel like it.

I also headcanon that Mirrors will run in pairs or packs towards where the plants and insects are being sorted and scatter everything around just to ruin their fun. Tricky Coatls warning each other of bad or odd-smelling fish in their own tongue and leaving the pesky Mirrors to scarf it all down, acting as their guinea pigs. Earth-colored Pearlcatchers snatching up plants and insects and then acting like they're holding nothing but their pearls when someone questions them.

I love headcanons adhsdgju
My headcanon is that each dragon helps prepare the food they eat themselves. Just imagine it- Coatls shucking shellfish and filleting fish. Fae crushing the exoskeletons of insects and setting aside the good stuff inside. Tundras getting rid of the inedible parts of plants and disposing of dead or ruined berries and the like. Wildclaws skinning and plucking animals, and then secretly picking the remaining meat off the bones themselves. Guardians and Imps helping where needed or where they feel like it.

I also headcanon that Mirrors will run in pairs or packs towards where the plants and insects are being sorted and scatter everything around just to ruin their fun. Tricky Coatls warning each other of bad or odd-smelling fish in their own tongue and leaving the pesky Mirrors to scarf it all down, acting as their guinea pigs. Earth-colored Pearlcatchers snatching up plants and insects and then acting like they're holding nothing but their pearls when someone questions them.

I love headcanons adhsdgju
My headcanon for a long time is that conversion is prepping and cooking the ingredients. For example eel fry wrapped in sweetgrass and roasted.
My headcanon for a long time is that conversion is prepping and cooking the ingredients. For example eel fry wrapped in sweetgrass and roasted.
177499lightofknowledge2.png
1 2 3