Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Ugh.
1 2
I just want to rant a bit here:
My mom has decided ONCE AGAIN to take me to a therapist to try and "fix" me for being trans. She's just so... Bad about it. I hate it.

She says she supports me, but she just tolerated my existence and ignores me scraping along with what I have. That's not support. She even had the nerve to bring up in an argument about how she doesn't support me "well, I haven't thrown you out!" Like it made her the best parent.

It's infuriating. She's just so full of herself and mean and rude and intolerant it makes me furious. And I can't so anything about it because my dad supports her and my brother supports her and I feel like a damn stranger at the dinner table and it makes absolutely every moment I'm at home miserable.

I just don't know what to do about it anymore.
I just want to rant a bit here:
My mom has decided ONCE AGAIN to take me to a therapist to try and "fix" me for being trans. She's just so... Bad about it. I hate it.

She says she supports me, but she just tolerated my existence and ignores me scraping along with what I have. That's not support. She even had the nerve to bring up in an argument about how she doesn't support me "well, I haven't thrown you out!" Like it made her the best parent.

It's infuriating. She's just so full of herself and mean and rude and intolerant it makes me furious. And I can't so anything about it because my dad supports her and my brother supports her and I feel like a damn stranger at the dinner table and it makes absolutely every moment I'm at home miserable.

I just don't know what to do about it anymore.
@lightscales
I'm so sorry you have to deal with that hun ;.; I do not get why one minute your mum supports you and the next she doesn't. Is there no-one else in the family you could go to? Like your Aunt, Uncle, Grandma/Grandpa?

There ain't nothing wrong with being Trans and I don't get why people feel the need to 'fix' them. Leave them be I say!
Good on you for getting it off your chest hun, better to let it out then bottle it up.
@lightscales
I'm so sorry you have to deal with that hun ;.; I do not get why one minute your mum supports you and the next she doesn't. Is there no-one else in the family you could go to? Like your Aunt, Uncle, Grandma/Grandpa?

There ain't nothing wrong with being Trans and I don't get why people feel the need to 'fix' them. Leave them be I say!
Good on you for getting it off your chest hun, better to let it out then bottle it up.
Doesn't this just beat all?
- The Infamous Quote of Rei
I'm surely not the best person to give you advice as I was born into a really tolerant family and although I don't strictly fit into gendertypes I'm not trans, but....

First I want to congratulate you for being strong enough not to let someone trick you into believing you might be expecting to much because as I read it you are absolutely right what your family does is no support and no real acceptance

Second, I think you should agree to see a therapist but only if you can have a say which one, once you're there explain the situation and try to get your mother to come with you, have the therapist explain to your mother that there is nothing wrong with you and how harmful and dangerous her behaviour is.

I f she can't accept the truth from you, maybe she changes her mind hearing it from someone like a therapist.

There may also be some groups, helplines etc. near you, who can help you and your family.

Stay strong and always know that you deserve respect, love, understanding and full acceptance from your family, these things are never too much to ask for!
I'm surely not the best person to give you advice as I was born into a really tolerant family and although I don't strictly fit into gendertypes I'm not trans, but....

First I want to congratulate you for being strong enough not to let someone trick you into believing you might be expecting to much because as I read it you are absolutely right what your family does is no support and no real acceptance

Second, I think you should agree to see a therapist but only if you can have a say which one, once you're there explain the situation and try to get your mother to come with you, have the therapist explain to your mother that there is nothing wrong with you and how harmful and dangerous her behaviour is.

I f she can't accept the truth from you, maybe she changes her mind hearing it from someone like a therapist.

There may also be some groups, helplines etc. near you, who can help you and your family.

Stay strong and always know that you deserve respect, love, understanding and full acceptance from your family, these things are never too much to ask for!
im really sorry your family isnt tolerant or understanding, feeling like a stranger in your own home is a really horrible feeling :c

i dont think i can give much advice because my family has been generally pretty supportive of my identity and sexuality (or maybe "supportive of ignoring it and not causing issues" is more correct) but do you think the therapist might be a blessing in disguise? if youre able to pick a therapist who is trans friendly, they could be a helpful ally in making your family understand the situation, or alternatively an ally in finding a healthier environment for you to live in? at the very least, if they're trans friendly, it would be someone outside your family to talk to about the situation?
im really sorry your family isnt tolerant or understanding, feeling like a stranger in your own home is a really horrible feeling :c

i dont think i can give much advice because my family has been generally pretty supportive of my identity and sexuality (or maybe "supportive of ignoring it and not causing issues" is more correct) but do you think the therapist might be a blessing in disguise? if youre able to pick a therapist who is trans friendly, they could be a helpful ally in making your family understand the situation, or alternatively an ally in finding a healthier environment for you to live in? at the very least, if they're trans friendly, it would be someone outside your family to talk to about the situation?
@SapphireEmber @Rumplestilzchen @Biago

I already have been to this certain therapist before, and he's already agreed that whenever I'm ready and my parents say yes (or I come of age) I can start on hormone therapy. So he's fantastic. He's honestly just really great.

But the fact my mom wants to try and "fix" me is the aggravating part. I've got no ( adult) family that's able to help me.

My parents both just refuse to listen. When I try to talk to them I get double teamed two against one and never am able to make my point because apparently I'm being selfish and it's just a phase.

I'm not even kidding. My dad considers me wanting to go be the right pronouns and use the right name selfish.
@SapphireEmber @Rumplestilzchen @Biago

I already have been to this certain therapist before, and he's already agreed that whenever I'm ready and my parents say yes (or I come of age) I can start on hormone therapy. So he's fantastic. He's honestly just really great.

But the fact my mom wants to try and "fix" me is the aggravating part. I've got no ( adult) family that's able to help me.

My parents both just refuse to listen. When I try to talk to them I get double teamed two against one and never am able to make my point because apparently I'm being selfish and it's just a phase.

I'm not even kidding. My dad considers me wanting to go be the right pronouns and use the right name selfish.
What a rough situation to be in :( Has the therapist talked to your parents on your behalf?
What a rough situation to be in :( Has the therapist talked to your parents on your behalf?
This space left intentionally blank.
@lightscales
'Being selfish and just a phase'? Wow. Just wow. I do agree with what @biagio and @Rumpelstilzchen have said to go see your therapist again and explain the situation. Perhaps ask him, if there is anyone else you could go to and/or recommend someone you could go to.

Honestly, I think they're being selfish for not letting you explain your point and the fact they want to 'fix' you. Your sexuality is not doing any harm to your family, yet for some reason they feel it is doing harm.

I hope you can get this sorted hun, I really do.
@lightscales
'Being selfish and just a phase'? Wow. Just wow. I do agree with what @biagio and @Rumpelstilzchen have said to go see your therapist again and explain the situation. Perhaps ask him, if there is anyone else you could go to and/or recommend someone you could go to.

Honestly, I think they're being selfish for not letting you explain your point and the fact they want to 'fix' you. Your sexuality is not doing any harm to your family, yet for some reason they feel it is doing harm.

I hope you can get this sorted hun, I really do.
Doesn't this just beat all?
- The Infamous Quote of Rei
@Lightscales
I'm so sorry that happened to you. That's just... No. If I could, I would open my apartment doors to you.

It's been easier for me since I moved out. Now everyone calls me by my preferred name, even my college, that I registered for with my birthname. My roommate, and best friend of..5? years, uses the correct pronouns, name, everything. It's not fair that that can't happen for you either.

My mother kind of ignores the fact, and my dad has no idea, maybe he assumes and just isn't sure. He uses neutral pronouns for me. Mom consistently uses female with me, but she's getting a hang of the name. Baby steps, I suppose.

There's nothing to fix. As long as you're comfortable with who you are, that's all that matters. That's not selfish, that's not wrong. It's your life, your body, and I wish you the best, darling. I really, truly hope things look up for you sometime soon.
@Lightscales
I'm so sorry that happened to you. That's just... No. If I could, I would open my apartment doors to you.

It's been easier for me since I moved out. Now everyone calls me by my preferred name, even my college, that I registered for with my birthname. My roommate, and best friend of..5? years, uses the correct pronouns, name, everything. It's not fair that that can't happen for you either.

My mother kind of ignores the fact, and my dad has no idea, maybe he assumes and just isn't sure. He uses neutral pronouns for me. Mom consistently uses female with me, but she's getting a hang of the name. Baby steps, I suppose.

There's nothing to fix. As long as you're comfortable with who you are, that's all that matters. That's not selfish, that's not wrong. It's your life, your body, and I wish you the best, darling. I really, truly hope things look up for you sometime soon.
@Lightscales I'm so sorry... At least you know that this is a part of who you are, and that this isn't something that needs to be fixed. I know we don't know each other, but - you can send me messages if you need to vent ^__^
@Lightscales I'm so sorry... At least you know that this is a part of who you are, and that this isn't something that needs to be fixed. I know we don't know each other, but - you can send me messages if you need to vent ^__^
Yeesh, with that approach she's taking toward you, you'll probably need therapy to deal with all the mental stress she's causing. If people can't be supportive, you'd think they could at the very least not make things worse. :/ I'm sorry you have to deal with that.
Yeesh, with that approach she's taking toward you, you'll probably need therapy to deal with all the mental stress she's causing. If people can't be supportive, you'd think they could at the very least not make things worse. :/ I'm sorry you have to deal with that.
rotyou_zpsdd94a7ce.jpg
1 2