Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Tips for getting started?
I was under the assumption that the breeding aspect of this site was the main focus, but as far as I can tell, it's extremely difficult to get started and on your feet.

I have my main and my "random", two of their offspring, and a hatchling off the auction house. None of them can breed for at least half a real-world month, and the majority won't be able to breed because they're too closely related, anyways?

Making gold/"treasure" early on strikes me as being really tedious and difficult, so buying adult dragons right off the auction house to help get your flight built-up is nigh-impossible.

How do I build up my flight? The coliseum is fun and all but also pretty slow and tough, especially since you stop getting EXP bonuses if you grind the lower areas for loot to sell.

Am I missing something? Tips would be nifty. I really like this site so far but it seems so...Slow, gameplay-wise. Maybe that's the point? I'm new to this. :S
I was under the assumption that the breeding aspect of this site was the main focus, but as far as I can tell, it's extremely difficult to get started and on your feet.

I have my main and my "random", two of their offspring, and a hatchling off the auction house. None of them can breed for at least half a real-world month, and the majority won't be able to breed because they're too closely related, anyways?

Making gold/"treasure" early on strikes me as being really tedious and difficult, so buying adult dragons right off the auction house to help get your flight built-up is nigh-impossible.

How do I build up my flight? The coliseum is fun and all but also pretty slow and tough, especially since you stop getting EXP bonuses if you grind the lower areas for loot to sell.

Am I missing something? Tips would be nifty. I really like this site so far but it seems so...Slow, gameplay-wise. Maybe that's the point? I'm new to this. :S
@Vincent

The breeding cooldown may seem a little bit harsh now, but the game is just starting (for all players.) Later in the game's lifecycle, the dragon population is going to boom exponentially and people (and new players) will have no trouble being up to their ears in dragons. We implemented the breeding cooldown with the idea that players would have 25-100 dragons in their lairs; plenty of breeding pairs. In the long-term you should be limited more by how many nests you have open then the cooldown.

Basic-color fae, mirror, guardian, and tundra dragons will drop in price as time goes on. We did just start, so we're in the same boat again of players not having enough dragons. (trust us when we say that the multiplication effect will happen with this site very soon. Dragons EVERYWHERE!). So dragons are a bit pricey. I recommend scavenging for eggs with yoru gathering turns. You have a rare chance of turning up an orphaned dragon egg.

The coliseum, faire, and trading post are the main ways to make money. You can also sell the items youg et in coliseum back to the system (vendor them) from your hoard by checking them and clicking "sell". It'll give you the default sell value. You can also sell certain desirable items (such as apparel, familiars, battlestones, and eggs) to other players on the auctionhouse for a good mark-up.

I hope that helps. I also recommend checking out our encyclopedia if you have the time.

Have fun playing!
@Vincent

The breeding cooldown may seem a little bit harsh now, but the game is just starting (for all players.) Later in the game's lifecycle, the dragon population is going to boom exponentially and people (and new players) will have no trouble being up to their ears in dragons. We implemented the breeding cooldown with the idea that players would have 25-100 dragons in their lairs; plenty of breeding pairs. In the long-term you should be limited more by how many nests you have open then the cooldown.

Basic-color fae, mirror, guardian, and tundra dragons will drop in price as time goes on. We did just start, so we're in the same boat again of players not having enough dragons. (trust us when we say that the multiplication effect will happen with this site very soon. Dragons EVERYWHERE!). So dragons are a bit pricey. I recommend scavenging for eggs with yoru gathering turns. You have a rare chance of turning up an orphaned dragon egg.

The coliseum, faire, and trading post are the main ways to make money. You can also sell the items youg et in coliseum back to the system (vendor them) from your hoard by checking them and clicking "sell". It'll give you the default sell value. You can also sell certain desirable items (such as apparel, familiars, battlestones, and eggs) to other players on the auctionhouse for a good mark-up.

I hope that helps. I also recommend checking out our encyclopedia if you have the time.

Have fun playing!
I wasn't aware scavenging could yield dragon eggs, oops. I've been working on digging for chests all this time! [Besides the energy +5 bonus, is there any other way to earn/gain gathering turns? :S ]

I guess I just won't focus too much on things right now and wait until the site ramps up like you said. :o

Thanks for the help, mate.
I wasn't aware scavenging could yield dragon eggs, oops. I've been working on digging for chests all this time! [Besides the energy +5 bonus, is there any other way to earn/gain gathering turns? :S ]

I guess I just won't focus too much on things right now and wait until the site ramps up like you said. :o

Thanks for the help, mate.
@Vincent
If your flight has dominance, you get one additional gathering turn per day ^^ So you can max out at 16 total turns I believe.

I am a lover, not a fighter-- but I have fallen in love with the Coliseum. It does get kinda hard but I have two "Coliseum modes". Mode 1) GET STUFF. That's when I go the lower levels and do lots of insta-killing to get some food or other goodies for my dragons. Mode 2) LEVEL STUFF. That's when I go to a higher level... usually one below the "max" that I can be in and not get eviscerated, and kill things lots to level my team. I also decided I liked melee more than magic, so that's made it more fun for me!

Treasure and gold can come from puzzles and tiles (the puzzles are great, as if you do the Easy one in a short period of time you get a bonus meaning 1,020 treasure per pay out instead of 800. The cool thing? The Treasure "cap" doesn't take bonuses into consideration. So it only counts 800 treasure, rather than 1,020. I tend to cap my puzzles each day and make... I think over 30k treasure or so!

Additionally, you can always sell some of the stuff you foraged, like food your dragons won't eat (icky grass! My guardians hate it!) or you can fight in the training fields and sell off the loot you gather. I tend to zone out when I fight in the coliseum to get items for loot!

Welcome to Flight Rising! I do hope you stick around! Things'll get more normal/regular as we move forward from the initial open release. I plan to stagger my dragon breeding so that each week I have one nest that I need to tend to. That way I always have some sort of babies on the way and it gives the other dragons time to cool down. But, I've gotta wait a while to get to that point! ^^
@Vincent
If your flight has dominance, you get one additional gathering turn per day ^^ So you can max out at 16 total turns I believe.

I am a lover, not a fighter-- but I have fallen in love with the Coliseum. It does get kinda hard but I have two "Coliseum modes". Mode 1) GET STUFF. That's when I go the lower levels and do lots of insta-killing to get some food or other goodies for my dragons. Mode 2) LEVEL STUFF. That's when I go to a higher level... usually one below the "max" that I can be in and not get eviscerated, and kill things lots to level my team. I also decided I liked melee more than magic, so that's made it more fun for me!

Treasure and gold can come from puzzles and tiles (the puzzles are great, as if you do the Easy one in a short period of time you get a bonus meaning 1,020 treasure per pay out instead of 800. The cool thing? The Treasure "cap" doesn't take bonuses into consideration. So it only counts 800 treasure, rather than 1,020. I tend to cap my puzzles each day and make... I think over 30k treasure or so!

Additionally, you can always sell some of the stuff you foraged, like food your dragons won't eat (icky grass! My guardians hate it!) or you can fight in the training fields and sell off the loot you gather. I tend to zone out when I fight in the coliseum to get items for loot!

Welcome to Flight Rising! I do hope you stick around! Things'll get more normal/regular as we move forward from the initial open release. I plan to stagger my dragon breeding so that each week I have one nest that I need to tend to. That way I always have some sort of babies on the way and it gives the other dragons time to cool down. But, I've gotta wait a while to get to that point! ^^
1kz7OWt.png
@Vincent @Dragoness

You can end up at a max of 18 gathering turns per day, if your flight is dominating and you keep your dragons well fed for 3 consecutive days. I'm in the Light Flight which is dominating right now, so I get +3 gathering turns from that, but I kept my dragons above 80% health (overall) for three days so I get +5 gathering turns from that (definitely worth it!).

If I've calculated correctly....10 + 5 + 3 = 18, yup :)
@Vincent @Dragoness

You can end up at a max of 18 gathering turns per day, if your flight is dominating and you keep your dragons well fed for 3 consecutive days. I'm in the Light Flight which is dominating right now, so I get +3 gathering turns from that, but I kept my dragons above 80% health (overall) for three days so I get +5 gathering turns from that (definitely worth it!).

If I've calculated correctly....10 + 5 + 3 = 18, yup :)
ZTu6k6.pngGKkegK.png
@MidnightBlossom
Wowie, talk about a necro'd thread :)

Yes, you are correct. But when I posted my response on June 14th, 2013, just over two years ago, Dominance was limited to one Flight only. They didn't have the 3 Flight Dominance System implemented yet :)

Welcome to Flight Rising, by the way!
@MidnightBlossom
Wowie, talk about a necro'd thread :)

Yes, you are correct. But when I posted my response on June 14th, 2013, just over two years ago, Dominance was limited to one Flight only. They didn't have the 3 Flight Dominance System implemented yet :)

Welcome to Flight Rising, by the way!
1kz7OWt.png
This thread is now closed in order to comply with the [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=wiki&article=66]Forum Code of Conduct[/url]: [quote]Do not "necro" threads where the last activity was more than three months ago.[/quote] Thank you!
This thread is now closed in order to comply with the Forum Code of Conduct:
Quote:
Do not "necro" threads where the last activity was more than three months ago.

Thank you!
Volunteer Moderator
If you have any questions, concerns, or feedback regarding moderation please feel free to use the Contact Us form. These submissions are viewed solely by the Flight Rising staff, not the volunteer moderator group.
XRwFykP.png