Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Dyeing Hair: Black to Blonde
In the very near future, I plan to dye my hair blonde. Currently, it is incredibly dark and, quite frankly, I'm bored of constantly dyeing it black. ~Ch-ch--ch-changes~

I'm positive there are people on here adept in the knowledge of hair dye and proper bleaching techniques...So...I'm requesting advice, tips, maybe a structured, slightly healthy approach to doing this.

I'm prepared for the time it'll take to get it light enough; I've bleached parts of my hair in the past, but it was done in a salon.
In the very near future, I plan to dye my hair blonde. Currently, it is incredibly dark and, quite frankly, I'm bored of constantly dyeing it black. ~Ch-ch--ch-changes~

I'm positive there are people on here adept in the knowledge of hair dye and proper bleaching techniques...So...I'm requesting advice, tips, maybe a structured, slightly healthy approach to doing this.

I'm prepared for the time it'll take to get it light enough; I've bleached parts of my hair in the past, but it was done in a salon.
A0swSVu.png
Sailor | 29 | They/She
7kf68Em.png
My hair is naturally very dark brown and I've had it super light blonde until recently, so I could dye it various colours. At the moment it's brown again to give it a rest.

I lighten in stages. Rather than going from dark to light straight away, I worked my way up to keep my hair at least some what healthy. Then once it was light enough I just touched up the roots when needed. If you're wanting to do bright colours at some point, keep the colour wheel in mind because not all colours can dye over others nice and easily. I also mixed my hair dye with conditioner to make it go further but to also deep condition my hair at the same time, I used manic panic dye btw.

If you can afford it, go to a salon. If you can't, just be patient, do what's healthiest for your hair and read the instructions!
My hair is naturally very dark brown and I've had it super light blonde until recently, so I could dye it various colours. At the moment it's brown again to give it a rest.

I lighten in stages. Rather than going from dark to light straight away, I worked my way up to keep my hair at least some what healthy. Then once it was light enough I just touched up the roots when needed. If you're wanting to do bright colours at some point, keep the colour wheel in mind because not all colours can dye over others nice and easily. I also mixed my hair dye with conditioner to make it go further but to also deep condition my hair at the same time, I used manic panic dye btw.

If you can afford it, go to a salon. If you can't, just be patient, do what's healthiest for your hair and read the instructions!
Find me on Tumblr!
im no expert but a full head hair change sounds like something you need done in a salon as well. and also be prepared for those super fun dark roots like every 2 weeks

(the only reason i hate dying my hair)
im no expert but a full head hair change sounds like something you need done in a salon as well. and also be prepared for those super fun dark roots like every 2 weeks

(the only reason i hate dying my hair)
I bleach and dye my hair all the time.
It really depends on how your hair is if you can do a whole head bleaching all at once. Like how thick and healthy it is.
They also have bleaching kits and blonde dye kits
the blonde dye is safer and generally works, although the bleach obviously makes it mUCH lighter

Also bleach is super super super itchy and if your hair is really dark it'll take long to bleach which means more time for itchy. Blonde dye is generally much less of a hassle.

I bleach my hair like I put any other dye on my hair, really. I don't do much else different except open a window because the smell is super strong.
I bleach and dye my hair all the time.
It really depends on how your hair is if you can do a whole head bleaching all at once. Like how thick and healthy it is.
They also have bleaching kits and blonde dye kits
the blonde dye is safer and generally works, although the bleach obviously makes it mUCH lighter

Also bleach is super super super itchy and if your hair is really dark it'll take long to bleach which means more time for itchy. Blonde dye is generally much less of a hassle.

I bleach my hair like I put any other dye on my hair, really. I don't do much else different except open a window because the smell is super strong.
tumblr_m1ex117ujr1rnj0oqo1_100.gif
Are you tired of dying your hair black or are you tired of just dying it in general?

I've had my hair every color of the rainbow so I would like to think I know a thing or two about dying hair.

Do not shower the night before/day of bleaching your hair; you need to make sure you have all your natural oils in your hair. You're going to have to bleach your hair several times in order to get to the light yellow/egg white you need. If you've been dying your hair black without properly stripping your hair each time, then bleaching your hair is going to take a while. I would do a bleaching treatment maybe 1-2 times the first day. I would wait another week to do one more bleach job and then apply the hair color. (If you're lucky, it will take the first day and you do not have to wait another week with weird hair.)

I would get a developer of about 30-40 volume and I prefer to use Quick Lightning from Sally's Beauty salon. Also, creme hair dye works way better than pre-made/liquid dye!

Dying your hair blonde and having your roots expose is going to take a lot of up keep.
Are you tired of dying your hair black or are you tired of just dying it in general?

I've had my hair every color of the rainbow so I would like to think I know a thing or two about dying hair.

Do not shower the night before/day of bleaching your hair; you need to make sure you have all your natural oils in your hair. You're going to have to bleach your hair several times in order to get to the light yellow/egg white you need. If you've been dying your hair black without properly stripping your hair each time, then bleaching your hair is going to take a while. I would do a bleaching treatment maybe 1-2 times the first day. I would wait another week to do one more bleach job and then apply the hair color. (If you're lucky, it will take the first day and you do not have to wait another week with weird hair.)

I would get a developer of about 30-40 volume and I prefer to use Quick Lightning from Sally's Beauty salon. Also, creme hair dye works way better than pre-made/liquid dye!

Dying your hair blonde and having your roots expose is going to take a lot of up keep.
@Oxxykitten Perhaps I should rephrase that lol I'm more or less bored of dark hair. Time for something new.

wait i shouldve been stripping my hair whenever i dyed it black? even though it was already dark to begin with? whut

Well, my hair is not fine, but it's not thick either. I already assumed bleaching would be a time consuming process, and I am prepared for how long it'll take.
@Oxxykitten Perhaps I should rephrase that lol I'm more or less bored of dark hair. Time for something new.

wait i shouldve been stripping my hair whenever i dyed it black? even though it was already dark to begin with? whut

Well, my hair is not fine, but it's not thick either. I already assumed bleaching would be a time consuming process, and I am prepared for how long it'll take.
A0swSVu.png
Sailor | 29 | They/She
7kf68Em.png
The only thing I have to say is that bleach is itchy, almost to the point where it's painful sometimes so I suggest securing some form of entertainment to keep your mind off it while you wait. It also smells, so if you're going to do it in a bathroom I highly suggest one with a window you can leave open to vent the place. If the weather isn't cooperating where you live then at least leave the door open, being trapped in a small space with that smell is terrible and it's not good for you to be breathing all of that in.
The only thing I have to say is that bleach is itchy, almost to the point where it's painful sometimes so I suggest securing some form of entertainment to keep your mind off it while you wait. It also smells, so if you're going to do it in a bathroom I highly suggest one with a window you can leave open to vent the place. If the weather isn't cooperating where you live then at least leave the door open, being trapped in a small space with that smell is terrible and it's not good for you to be breathing all of that in.
@Hogwarts
I used to bleach my hair all the time, and I can say with full certainty that it is always harder to do on yourself than to have someone do it for you. I recommend having a professional do it, OR go to a beauty school to make an appointment. A beauty school always needs volunteers for their tests.

Bleach is also really different from dying, and a lot of damage can be done in a very short amount of time. It's pretty tricky. @Oxxykitten had some great suggestions if you plan on doing it yourself (which I understand, because having someone else do it is always crazy expensive. @_@ Thus why I always did it myself and why I spent three months with white hair one time... There are some interesting pictures from that time period, lol. I was so relieved when I finally got it fixed!)
@Hogwarts
I used to bleach my hair all the time, and I can say with full certainty that it is always harder to do on yourself than to have someone do it for you. I recommend having a professional do it, OR go to a beauty school to make an appointment. A beauty school always needs volunteers for their tests.

Bleach is also really different from dying, and a lot of damage can be done in a very short amount of time. It's pretty tricky. @Oxxykitten had some great suggestions if you plan on doing it yourself (which I understand, because having someone else do it is always crazy expensive. @_@ Thus why I always did it myself and why I spent three months with white hair one time... There are some interesting pictures from that time period, lol. I was so relieved when I finally got it fixed!)
DuLvCwY.png
I recommend having a friend help, I've bleached and dyed my hair about a million times and it always works out way better when someone else helps.
I recommend having a friend help, I've bleached and dyed my hair about a million times and it always works out way better when someone else helps.
I've just recently stripped my hair of it's natural colour. It was originally a really dark brown, almost black, and now it's a dark blonde.

You'll want to do your research, and make sure your hair is as strong as it can be to begin with. Lots of moisturising and hydrating. Look for a stripping product that is gentle on your hair, ask a hairdresser for advice on this. Often you'll have to do the treatment twice to get it to a light blonde.

And of course, hydrate it and look after it afterwards!
I've just recently stripped my hair of it's natural colour. It was originally a really dark brown, almost black, and now it's a dark blonde.

You'll want to do your research, and make sure your hair is as strong as it can be to begin with. Lots of moisturising and hydrating. Look for a stripping product that is gentle on your hair, ask a hairdresser for advice on this. Often you'll have to do the treatment twice to get it to a light blonde.

And of course, hydrate it and look after it afterwards!
163mug.png
~~They/Them/Their ~~+11hrs~~