Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | The ONLY suggestion
1 2 3
I agree that we need more staff and it's easy to say that but how are they supposed to get more? I don't think FR is big enough to support more than the four staff members we have right now, whom I'm sure are already underpaying themselves severely for the work they do.

Coders, writers, and artists brought onto the site need to get paid, unless they're extremely generous and decide to volunteer out of the goodness of their hearts or work for extremely reduced pay. The same goes for admins and anyone in a PR position.

You also have to take into consideration that if they do open up applications, it'll also take up money and time - advertising for the positions needed and then going over applications to decide who's the best fit. Time that they could spend fixing the site.

I really would like for there to be a bigger team and more staff, but right now I don't see any way for them to be able to afford it right now.
I agree that we need more staff and it's easy to say that but how are they supposed to get more? I don't think FR is big enough to support more than the four staff members we have right now, whom I'm sure are already underpaying themselves severely for the work they do.

Coders, writers, and artists brought onto the site need to get paid, unless they're extremely generous and decide to volunteer out of the goodness of their hearts or work for extremely reduced pay. The same goes for admins and anyone in a PR position.

You also have to take into consideration that if they do open up applications, it'll also take up money and time - advertising for the positions needed and then going over applications to decide who's the best fit. Time that they could spend fixing the site.

I really would like for there to be a bigger team and more staff, but right now I don't see any way for them to be able to afford it right now.
God, this is a really good suggestion. It's so sad to see such a large staff being run by only a few people.

It sucks, though, because @Rider is right, it takes a lot of time and money to get some big-game staffer and coders in without giving them a source of income. But I do think they should try "hiring" a few people to come in and handle some smaller jobs such as managing forums and such.

I've never been in a managing sort of job, especially with pet websites, but perhaps it could take at least a little stress off of them, so that the social aspect of the site is maintained while they are able to focus on the site itself?
God, this is a really good suggestion. It's so sad to see such a large staff being run by only a few people.

It sucks, though, because @Rider is right, it takes a lot of time and money to get some big-game staffer and coders in without giving them a source of income. But I do think they should try "hiring" a few people to come in and handle some smaller jobs such as managing forums and such.

I've never been in a managing sort of job, especially with pet websites, but perhaps it could take at least a little stress off of them, so that the social aspect of the site is maintained while they are able to focus on the site itself?
7GZL67L.png
Mason/Metus
he/him
FR+0
@Rider considering Donations, and the fact they had a kickstarter that garnered over 37000 dollars? I do believe they can handle hiring some new blood.
@Rider considering Donations, and the fact they had a kickstarter that garnered over 37000 dollars? I do believe they can handle hiring some new blood.
The average salary of a low-paid worker is about $20k per year. That's already half the kickstarter funds, and the kickstarter was started to raise money for servers, so some of that's already gone. I'm going to guess about $10,000, because if they're smart they've also put some of the money into a emergency savings fund in case things have gone bottoms up completely.

So that's about $27,000 divided between four people, which would give them a salary of less than $10k a year. Not to mention that they have to pay for permits, taxes, and the rent for company and server space.

So no, I don't really think they're in any position to be hiring anyone right now. If anything, they've actually shot themselves in the foot by asking for so little, since to realistically run a site this big, you need to add another zero to that $37,000.
The average salary of a low-paid worker is about $20k per year. That's already half the kickstarter funds, and the kickstarter was started to raise money for servers, so some of that's already gone. I'm going to guess about $10,000, because if they're smart they've also put some of the money into a emergency savings fund in case things have gone bottoms up completely.

So that's about $27,000 divided between four people, which would give them a salary of less than $10k a year. Not to mention that they have to pay for permits, taxes, and the rent for company and server space.

So no, I don't really think they're in any position to be hiring anyone right now. If anything, they've actually shot themselves in the foot by asking for so little, since to realistically run a site this big, you need to add another zero to that $37,000.
Rider's got it. This site might be in for worse before it's better. The only way OP's suggestion would work is if they were unpaid interns, and that's a waste of everyone's time.
Rider's got it. This site might be in for worse before it's better. The only way OP's suggestion would work is if they were unpaid interns, and that's a waste of everyone's time.
I agree 100% With a site this big you need help. Lots of help. There are so many things that need fixing right now, it just feels like you are being overwhelmed guys. I don't want new content personally until the old things are fixed first. I mean someone from Fire flight posted a thread with a huge amount of bugs in it - and it was closed because there were too many bugs reported!! What the? It is not your fault that there are so many people wanting to enjoy your site, closing new applications was a good idea. Keep them closed until you sort your 'stuff' out.

Also if you want to make money - lower the cost of blueprints. I want to support this site, but I refuse to pay more than a few dollars for 1 skin. I'm willing to bet there are many people in the same boat as me who are wanting to support the site but cannot justify that amount of money. ESPECIALLY when a lot of the site isn't even working. Sites do not make money from charging an arm and a leg for everything. You are losing out because the prices are too high. If you're worried about there being too many applications - ask for a volunteer or two to specifically check the applications are following the rules! Use the feature as a selling point!!! (Not to mention the obscene price makes it impossible to sell custom skins as well - really not good for alternative money making :|) at the moment only people with a large amount of disposable income are being targetted. Lower the amount and you include a lot more people - means more money for you. Even with reduced prices because you still have the people willing to spend above and beyond.
I agree 100% With a site this big you need help. Lots of help. There are so many things that need fixing right now, it just feels like you are being overwhelmed guys. I don't want new content personally until the old things are fixed first. I mean someone from Fire flight posted a thread with a huge amount of bugs in it - and it was closed because there were too many bugs reported!! What the? It is not your fault that there are so many people wanting to enjoy your site, closing new applications was a good idea. Keep them closed until you sort your 'stuff' out.

Also if you want to make money - lower the cost of blueprints. I want to support this site, but I refuse to pay more than a few dollars for 1 skin. I'm willing to bet there are many people in the same boat as me who are wanting to support the site but cannot justify that amount of money. ESPECIALLY when a lot of the site isn't even working. Sites do not make money from charging an arm and a leg for everything. You are losing out because the prices are too high. If you're worried about there being too many applications - ask for a volunteer or two to specifically check the applications are following the rules! Use the feature as a selling point!!! (Not to mention the obscene price makes it impossible to sell custom skins as well - really not good for alternative money making :|) at the moment only people with a large amount of disposable income are being targetted. Lower the amount and you include a lot more people - means more money for you. Even with reduced prices because you still have the people willing to spend above and beyond.
Support, really.

I wish there was more I could do to help, and so does everyone else.

There are sure to be hiccups in a fledgling site but there's just not enough hands on deck.
Support, really.

I wish there was more I could do to help, and so does everyone else.

There are sure to be hiccups in a fledgling site but there's just not enough hands on deck.
Δ KUJJm1Z.gif 6XeGCFj.gif Ω
Adding more programmers doesn't always equate to good results. It can be hard to get people up to speed/working cohesively together in a way that produces desirable results. Sometimes time really is the only solution. Just food for thought~
Adding more programmers doesn't always equate to good results. It can be hard to get people up to speed/working cohesively together in a way that produces desirable results. Sometimes time really is the only solution. Just food for thought~
furry_fiddle.png
So, instead of hiring people for money, why not ping some of the more involved and active players and see if they was to volunteer to help, perhaps for some perks on the site? Still affects time for vetting people, but such people could absolutely be moderators, artists, story-tellers, etc...
So, instead of hiring people for money, why not ping some of the more involved and active players and see if they was to volunteer to help, perhaps for some perks on the site? Still affects time for vetting people, but such people could absolutely be moderators, artists, story-tellers, etc...
See my lair at Wispfox's Dragons!
I really hate to say this guys, but if flight rising not having the funds to hire anyone new really REALLY is the issue? we're either going to need another kickstarter or this site is gonna flop.

without some form of steady profit margin to pay new workers with, and a bitesize team, this site is about to eat those involved for breakfast.
I really hate to say this guys, but if flight rising not having the funds to hire anyone new really REALLY is the issue? we're either going to need another kickstarter or this site is gonna flop.

without some form of steady profit margin to pay new workers with, and a bitesize team, this site is about to eat those involved for breakfast.
1 2 3