Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | lets talk about pricing art
1 2 3 4
alright fellow artists, listen up
i am so tired of going into art/adoptable threads and seeing REALLY GREAT, AMAZING ART that shows how much time, effort, energy, and love you put into it
for 50,000 treasure. or less. or barely that.
you are seriously underpricing your art.
you are selling your art for a dollar.
minimum wage differs place to place in the us, but the lowest it is? still over 2 dollars.
please do not do this to yourselves and your community.
you know how the dragon economy is so crappy right now? it doesnt just happen. people cause it to happen. the more you underprice your art the more it happens. the more others have to bring down their prices. and not to mention new artists coming into the picture who have spent less time doing art and are not at your level yet, who think their art is so worthless, they price it for 5,000 treasure.
that is not fair or worth it.
even if you are doing it for fun, you should still be charging at least minimum wage. you become apart of the community, therefor you need to keep it fair for everyone involved. this is incredibly important. you may do it for fun? others do it to live.
and honestly, if youre doing it for fun, what fun is spending a lot of your time for scraps? 50k is nothing. 50k is a little over 100 gems. thats nothing. you can buy like one item from the gem market place. rare apparel goes more than your art. that should not be happening. fake gaming clothes should not be worth more than your very real art.

also to people who buy art:
if you are not prepared to pay fairly, then you do not need to buy art.
you are also the problem. you seriously think an artist should spend hours drawing what you want? for a dollar? that is so messed up and rude, honestly. you are taking advantage of artists. if you commission someone to draw something for you and theyre asking 50k? tip them. give them more money. show them its worth more than a dollar. artist should not spend their time or their LIVES to draw something for less than a dollar. they should not be doing this. you should not be contributing to the problem.

honestly if i had it my way, the minimum asking price for ANY art would be 300 gems or 120k treasure. that is STILL WAY TOO LOW but god some of you get so angry about how pricey (???????what) art is on this site and its like LMAO??? I WOULD NOT SCRIBBLE A STICK FIGURE FOR A DOLLAR. WHY ARE YOU ASKING ARTISTS TO DISH OUT FINISHED PIECES FOR THAT MUCH????????????? pieces they potentially spend HOURS on. why should we spend 5 hours on a piece for a dollar? why??? that is mind blowingly absurd. why would you do that to yourself lol. stop it.
alright fellow artists, listen up
i am so tired of going into art/adoptable threads and seeing REALLY GREAT, AMAZING ART that shows how much time, effort, energy, and love you put into it
for 50,000 treasure. or less. or barely that.
you are seriously underpricing your art.
you are selling your art for a dollar.
minimum wage differs place to place in the us, but the lowest it is? still over 2 dollars.
please do not do this to yourselves and your community.
you know how the dragon economy is so crappy right now? it doesnt just happen. people cause it to happen. the more you underprice your art the more it happens. the more others have to bring down their prices. and not to mention new artists coming into the picture who have spent less time doing art and are not at your level yet, who think their art is so worthless, they price it for 5,000 treasure.
that is not fair or worth it.
even if you are doing it for fun, you should still be charging at least minimum wage. you become apart of the community, therefor you need to keep it fair for everyone involved. this is incredibly important. you may do it for fun? others do it to live.
and honestly, if youre doing it for fun, what fun is spending a lot of your time for scraps? 50k is nothing. 50k is a little over 100 gems. thats nothing. you can buy like one item from the gem market place. rare apparel goes more than your art. that should not be happening. fake gaming clothes should not be worth more than your very real art.

also to people who buy art:
if you are not prepared to pay fairly, then you do not need to buy art.
you are also the problem. you seriously think an artist should spend hours drawing what you want? for a dollar? that is so messed up and rude, honestly. you are taking advantage of artists. if you commission someone to draw something for you and theyre asking 50k? tip them. give them more money. show them its worth more than a dollar. artist should not spend their time or their LIVES to draw something for less than a dollar. they should not be doing this. you should not be contributing to the problem.

honestly if i had it my way, the minimum asking price for ANY art would be 300 gems or 120k treasure. that is STILL WAY TOO LOW but god some of you get so angry about how pricey (???????what) art is on this site and its like LMAO??? I WOULD NOT SCRIBBLE A STICK FIGURE FOR A DOLLAR. WHY ARE YOU ASKING ARTISTS TO DISH OUT FINISHED PIECES FOR THAT MUCH????????????? pieces they potentially spend HOURS on. why should we spend 5 hours on a piece for a dollar? why??? that is mind blowingly absurd. why would you do that to yourself lol. stop it.
I'm gonna be brief on this, and I'll make it simple. This isn't the real world or a job, so 'minimum wage' doesn't even begin to come into play. But beyond that, if an artist is willing to sell their stuff for a virtual currency, it's up to them how much they want to charge, as it's THEIR time used. Complaining like this will do nothing.
I'm gonna be brief on this, and I'll make it simple. This isn't the real world or a job, so 'minimum wage' doesn't even begin to come into play. But beyond that, if an artist is willing to sell their stuff for a virtual currency, it's up to them how much they want to charge, as it's THEIR time used. Complaining like this will do nothing.
@Osirilen
no no, let ME be brief on this.
go ahead and read this if you wanna get all technical with what is or is not a job :^)
this is real, our work is real,
you are contributing to the problem, so please be quiet if you arent going to admit you are comfortable and willing to take advantage of people for WORK("jobs") they do. :^) :^) :^) :^____) #bye
@Osirilen
no no, let ME be brief on this.
go ahead and read this if you wanna get all technical with what is or is not a job :^)
this is real, our work is real,
you are contributing to the problem, so please be quiet if you arent going to admit you are comfortable and willing to take advantage of people for WORK("jobs") they do. :^) :^) :^) :^____) #bye
It's still a service. As an artist myself, being in several art communities in different places across time, it's definitely problematic to see artists underselling themselves, particularly in that artists who price accordingly are sometimes viewed as expensive or snobby. Not every case of course. But acting like it's not a real service because it's online is a little strange. You are working towards a payment. It's comparative to companies outsourcing. You'll always go for the cheapest work, and others do suffer for it. As OP said, if you can't afford the art, you shouldn't be looking to buy. Simple.
It's still a service. As an artist myself, being in several art communities in different places across time, it's definitely problematic to see artists underselling themselves, particularly in that artists who price accordingly are sometimes viewed as expensive or snobby. Not every case of course. But acting like it's not a real service because it's online is a little strange. You are working towards a payment. It's comparative to companies outsourcing. You'll always go for the cheapest work, and others do suffer for it. As OP said, if you can't afford the art, you shouldn't be looking to buy. Simple.
@Osirilen
Minimum wage conversions are a bit iffy when it comes to virtual currencies, but the issue is probably also that people do complain when it comes to artists selling their work for what they perceive to be "too much" despite the amount of time the artist spends on a given commission and developing their skill level to the point where they're able to take up a project and do it in x amount of hours of work.

I mean, yeah maybe OP's 'complaints' aren't the most effective vehicle for change in regards to attitudes regarding art commissions and pricing, but good points are made and even if this is not the "real world" logging in to a browser game full of dragons doesn't magically isolate any of its users from the "real world." Gems in quantity do involve real world money somewhere, and they do have a going rate in regards to treasure so you could call it a conversion rate.

Minimum wage may not be obviously coming into play, but it's generally good practice not to underpay people you pay to do stuff for you even if the currency they ask for payment in doesn't have a real-world money exchange option. It forms good habits when it comes to not accidentally screwing somebody over in the real world.

@batmom
I'm sure you've probably thought of it already but you could always just tip the artist you commissioned for the difference between the appropriate price and the too low price. Or encourage people you know to tip artists if they like the work and think the artist wasn't charging enough. It's probably hard to kick the underpricing habit when the "this is too expensive why are you charging me so much" question is everywhere.
@Osirilen
Minimum wage conversions are a bit iffy when it comes to virtual currencies, but the issue is probably also that people do complain when it comes to artists selling their work for what they perceive to be "too much" despite the amount of time the artist spends on a given commission and developing their skill level to the point where they're able to take up a project and do it in x amount of hours of work.

I mean, yeah maybe OP's 'complaints' aren't the most effective vehicle for change in regards to attitudes regarding art commissions and pricing, but good points are made and even if this is not the "real world" logging in to a browser game full of dragons doesn't magically isolate any of its users from the "real world." Gems in quantity do involve real world money somewhere, and they do have a going rate in regards to treasure so you could call it a conversion rate.

Minimum wage may not be obviously coming into play, but it's generally good practice not to underpay people you pay to do stuff for you even if the currency they ask for payment in doesn't have a real-world money exchange option. It forms good habits when it comes to not accidentally screwing somebody over in the real world.

@batmom
I'm sure you've probably thought of it already but you could always just tip the artist you commissioned for the difference between the appropriate price and the too low price. Or encourage people you know to tip artists if they like the work and think the artist wasn't charging enough. It's probably hard to kick the underpricing habit when the "this is too expensive why are you charging me so much" question is everywhere.
sIaDdlY.png
@Keyvski
high fives my brotha B^)

@dkjou
oh yes of course if i ever bought art i would def do that, but i posted this as an artist very upset that MY already underpriced work is "too expensive." and most if not all my friends are artist, whether they go to art school, already make their living off art, or do it for fun, we all agree on this. people underprice their art so so horribly and at this point "complaining" aka talking about the problems the art community faces, is way better than ignoring it or dealing with it in silence. speaking out is how you get things started lol
@Keyvski
high fives my brotha B^)

@dkjou
oh yes of course if i ever bought art i would def do that, but i posted this as an artist very upset that MY already underpriced work is "too expensive." and most if not all my friends are artist, whether they go to art school, already make their living off art, or do it for fun, we all agree on this. people underprice their art so so horribly and at this point "complaining" aka talking about the problems the art community faces, is way better than ignoring it or dealing with it in silence. speaking out is how you get things started lol
Didn't mean to imply it wasn't a service. Simply stating that this is a virtual currency and a user has the right to charge whatever they feel they should. The problem at hand isn't that. If a user wishes to charge x amount, that's their business, and they could have a myriad of reasons for pricing it the way they do. Trust me, I know it's a tricky subject (supply verses demand, indefinable talent scale, varying ability creating varying degree of time required, etc. etc). But ranting about it on the general chat of a site like this isn't going to do a thing.

@batmom

Yeah, don't try the whole "You're part of the problem because you don't agree 100% with me based off of a quick simple statement" crap with me.
Didn't mean to imply it wasn't a service. Simply stating that this is a virtual currency and a user has the right to charge whatever they feel they should. The problem at hand isn't that. If a user wishes to charge x amount, that's their business, and they could have a myriad of reasons for pricing it the way they do. Trust me, I know it's a tricky subject (supply verses demand, indefinable talent scale, varying ability creating varying degree of time required, etc. etc). But ranting about it on the general chat of a site like this isn't going to do a thing.

@batmom

Yeah, don't try the whole "You're part of the problem because you don't agree 100% with me based off of a quick simple statement" crap with me.
As @dkjou stated, it's currency that has real value, monetarily speaking. People are harming the market for this type of work, and that's what OP is arguing. It may be your opinion that this venue isn't practical or effective, but at least it opens discussion, and that's what matters.

Stating that it's "their business" puts a blanket on the issue. "Their business" has a direct effect on things. If it were harmless behaviour, there wouldn't even be an argument.
As @dkjou stated, it's currency that has real value, monetarily speaking. People are harming the market for this type of work, and that's what OP is arguing. It may be your opinion that this venue isn't practical or effective, but at least it opens discussion, and that's what matters.

Stating that it's "their business" puts a blanket on the issue. "Their business" has a direct effect on things. If it were harmless behaviour, there wouldn't even be an argument.
@batmom
Fair enough. I was thinking that the way you'd phrased some things sounded a wee bit hostile, but I'm not good at reading tones on the internet and and anyway that's sort of less important than the stuff you're saying. People read tone differently anyway and you're right, talking about it is better than leaving it as is. I sort of feel like some venues of just talking about it wouldn't help much, though, because if everybody there already agrees it's just an echo chamber and nothing gets done. Maybe some of us could put together like an infographic or something and see if we couldn't cycle it around on some social media...? Like, something to get it out to more than just a small fairly select audience, because this is pretty important and $5 craigslist art job postings are pretty insulting. I'm insulted and I gave up on being an art student because I couldn't handle the pressure, so I figure it's pretty bad.
@batmom
Fair enough. I was thinking that the way you'd phrased some things sounded a wee bit hostile, but I'm not good at reading tones on the internet and and anyway that's sort of less important than the stuff you're saying. People read tone differently anyway and you're right, talking about it is better than leaving it as is. I sort of feel like some venues of just talking about it wouldn't help much, though, because if everybody there already agrees it's just an echo chamber and nothing gets done. Maybe some of us could put together like an infographic or something and see if we couldn't cycle it around on some social media...? Like, something to get it out to more than just a small fairly select audience, because this is pretty important and $5 craigslist art job postings are pretty insulting. I'm insulted and I gave up on being an art student because I couldn't handle the pressure, so I figure it's pretty bad.
sIaDdlY.png
@Osirilen
except this site uses real world currency converted into virtual currency. its virtual currency with real world currency backing it. 500 gems is worth $5. thats real money lol

and they become apart of the art community. they are apart of it whether they like it or not. their actions have effects on the ENTIRE community. also my ranting? completely acceptable. how else are people gonna realize that underpricing themselves and their art causes harm to them and their fellow artist? by being silent and letting everyone walk all over them???? really? hows that gonna solve problems or even just bring up issues than my justified "ranting."

stop telling me im complaining and how my complaining is going to do nothing for a very serious, very real problem, on a website that thrives on art. why the heck would it have a dedicated art sales AND adoptable sales thread if not? lmao get off your high horse you dont understand anything if you think im just complaining for no reason beacuse its pointless to do so
@Osirilen
except this site uses real world currency converted into virtual currency. its virtual currency with real world currency backing it. 500 gems is worth $5. thats real money lol

and they become apart of the art community. they are apart of it whether they like it or not. their actions have effects on the ENTIRE community. also my ranting? completely acceptable. how else are people gonna realize that underpricing themselves and their art causes harm to them and their fellow artist? by being silent and letting everyone walk all over them???? really? hows that gonna solve problems or even just bring up issues than my justified "ranting."

stop telling me im complaining and how my complaining is going to do nothing for a very serious, very real problem, on a website that thrives on art. why the heck would it have a dedicated art sales AND adoptable sales thread if not? lmao get off your high horse you dont understand anything if you think im just complaining for no reason beacuse its pointless to do so
1 2 3 4