Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | More Variety With Skin Winners
1 2 3
I'm really impressed that you guys went through with the numbers in order to come to these conclusions--it's pretty compelling! Especially looking at number of species vs number of skins--I like to browse through lairs a lot and there are some holiday skins I've NEVER seen on a dragon.

I like to assume the staff choose skins that follow the rules based on how much they think the userbase will demand it? Like the point here for entering a contest skin as opposed to printing it yourself is that it'll be distributed FAR more widely through the Marketplace. If a skin/accent is well done but will only appeal to a small number of people... wouldn't it be more worthwhile for the artist to sell it on their own and make a profit?

Then you have winners like Lightburst Flora. High demand, many people love and use the skin and still purchase it through the AH and whatnot. THAT'S a good reason to pick a winner.

Back on topic... While I love both Skydancer male entries (the female is lovely but not for me), I would consider it redundant to have both. In my case, I just happen to have a bunch of purple and orange dragons so the "sunrise" colours of both accents are things I can work with--most people will probably only see use for one or the other. I guess maybe both artists had a lot of offers for buyers in the event that their skin didn't win, so the staff thought they were both in high demand?

Going by that logic, though, it's a little funny they wouldn't pick less high demand accents because then if they know the artist will sell the skin/accent anyways, there'll be other users that'll pay for gems...
I'm really impressed that you guys went through with the numbers in order to come to these conclusions--it's pretty compelling! Especially looking at number of species vs number of skins--I like to browse through lairs a lot and there are some holiday skins I've NEVER seen on a dragon.

I like to assume the staff choose skins that follow the rules based on how much they think the userbase will demand it? Like the point here for entering a contest skin as opposed to printing it yourself is that it'll be distributed FAR more widely through the Marketplace. If a skin/accent is well done but will only appeal to a small number of people... wouldn't it be more worthwhile for the artist to sell it on their own and make a profit?

Then you have winners like Lightburst Flora. High demand, many people love and use the skin and still purchase it through the AH and whatnot. THAT'S a good reason to pick a winner.

Back on topic... While I love both Skydancer male entries (the female is lovely but not for me), I would consider it redundant to have both. In my case, I just happen to have a bunch of purple and orange dragons so the "sunrise" colours of both accents are things I can work with--most people will probably only see use for one or the other. I guess maybe both artists had a lot of offers for buyers in the event that their skin didn't win, so the staff thought they were both in high demand?

Going by that logic, though, it's a little funny they wouldn't pick less high demand accents because then if they know the artist will sell the skin/accent anyways, there'll be other users that'll pay for gems...
I have nothing against the artists who made the skins (hell I make skins and accents for these contests sometimes!)

But there needs to be a better variety of winners! There's a lot of dragons that just never seem to be up there when the holidays roll around.
I have nothing against the artists who made the skins (hell I make skins and accents for these contests sometimes!)

But there needs to be a better variety of winners! There's a lot of dragons that just never seem to be up there when the holidays roll around.
-sips tea-
Support. I get fed up with realising that species have no look-in for the skins, especially in this festival with the TWO male SDs that were pretty much the same idea.
Support. I get fed up with realising that species have no look-in for the skins, especially in this festival with the TWO male SDs that were pretty much the same idea.
tumblr_mobg0cyIZE1sula9po1_400.gif
Beware the Bibliophile - I probably bite
hmpf. There was a thread a little while ago that was suggesting that users get a vote on the skins that win. I spent a bunch of time sorting out what users thought of the skins/accents from the Flameforger's Festival to show that the admins really do seem to be considering what the players want, and then the thread must have been deleted (it didn't have much support). Reposting here, because it's still interesting and potentially useful information: [quote]Comparing the [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=skin&id=1160586&page=1]Flameforger's Festival Discussion[/url] to the [url=http://flightrising.com/main.php?p=mb&board=ann&id=1176686]Skin and Accents Contest Results[/url], there's a noticeable theme that the most discussed Skins & Accents [i]did[/i] get picked as winners. [b]AriiKnave's "Molten Surge" [/b]- a few fans, every few pages starting from pg 3 [b]Fimbry's "Gilded Metalworker"[/b] - about 1 mention per page, from pg 3-18, plus several scattered mentions later on. [b]Piney's "Firebird Feathers"[/b] - lots of support from pg 5 onwards, averaging about 1 mention for every 2-3 pages [b]TeaDino's "Igniteus"[/b] (skin version) - quickly gained support, with 10 mentions from pgs 18-20, and 1-2 mentions/page for several of the following pages. Interest spiked again as of pg 47, when it was made into an accent. [b]Pudi's "Flameheart"[/b] - 8 mentions from pg 23-25, 4 on pg 27 alone, and about 1 mention per page for many of the following pages [b]Ree's "Cinderheart"[/b] - A couple of mentions around pg 30 (there were many coatl entries, but I believe that this was the only one that anyone expressed any interest in at all. [b]Krissycakes' "Crumbling Phoenix"[/b] - handful of mentions from pg 38-42, picks up again pg 45 [b]Luunai's "Blazing Phoenix Feathers"[/b] - a handful of mentions starting from pg 43 [b]Kabu's "Construct of Flame" & McLarenSpider's "MagmaBorne"[/b] - 1-2 mentions each. So, that leaves 2 entries unaccounted for. One of which is a male Guardian, and prior to this competition we already had 7 male Guardian skins, so it's possibly just something that no-one was excited for. The other was submitted fairly late in the competition, so it would have had lower visibility. There are a couple of outliers that were highly discussed, though there are any number of reasons why I suspect they may not have been disqualified or ranked lower: [b]Cockatrice's "Chimney", Asmo's "Feuerteutel", Lorelei's "Smoulderstruck"[/b] - The first one uses forced-3D features (i.e. smoke tendrils. Entries with paint-on clothing have been similarly rejected in the past) which can look odd when layered with apparel. The second one might have been disqualified for being too dark (the creator has currently submitted it as an independent skin, so we'll see how that turns out). The third one may run into the problem where it's too generic of a pattern, and/or adds too much darkness to the darker dragons. [b]Shrimp's "Gemforger"[/b] - I would guess that this accent was passed over for being too similar in form to the male Snapper accent from the Thundercrack Carnivale, combined with the fact that Snappers have one of the lowest breed populations (the Skydancer population is 3x higher, for example). [b]gowana's "Flamewalker" & Volpe's "Ragnarok"[/b] - both male Imperial skins, neither had as much support as Pudi's skin. Also note that while there were a few interesting male Imp accents, none of them had as much support as the winning skin either.[/quote]
hmpf. There was a thread a little while ago that was suggesting that users get a vote on the skins that win. I spent a bunch of time sorting out what users thought of the skins/accents from the Flameforger's Festival to show that the admins really do seem to be considering what the players want, and then the thread must have been deleted (it didn't have much support). Reposting here, because it's still interesting and potentially useful information:
Quote:
Comparing the Flameforger's Festival Discussion to the Skin and Accents Contest Results, there's a noticeable theme that the most discussed Skins & Accents did get picked as winners.

AriiKnave's "Molten Surge" - a few fans, every few pages starting from pg 3
Fimbry's "Gilded Metalworker" - about 1 mention per page, from pg 3-18, plus several scattered mentions later on.
Piney's "Firebird Feathers" - lots of support from pg 5 onwards, averaging about 1 mention for every 2-3 pages
TeaDino's "Igniteus" (skin version) - quickly gained support, with 10 mentions from pgs 18-20, and 1-2 mentions/page for several of the following pages. Interest spiked again as of pg 47, when it was made into an accent.
Pudi's "Flameheart" - 8 mentions from pg 23-25, 4 on pg 27 alone, and about 1 mention per page for many of the following pages
Ree's "Cinderheart" - A couple of mentions around pg 30 (there were many coatl entries, but I believe that this was the only one that anyone expressed any interest in at all.
Krissycakes' "Crumbling Phoenix" - handful of mentions from pg 38-42, picks up again pg 45
Luunai's "Blazing Phoenix Feathers" - a handful of mentions starting from pg 43

Kabu's "Construct of Flame" & McLarenSpider's "MagmaBorne" - 1-2 mentions each.

So, that leaves 2 entries unaccounted for. One of which is a male Guardian, and prior to this competition we already had 7 male Guardian skins, so it's possibly just something that no-one was excited for. The other was submitted fairly late in the competition, so it would have had lower visibility.

There are a couple of outliers that were highly discussed, though there are any number of reasons why I suspect they may not have been disqualified or ranked lower:

Cockatrice's "Chimney", Asmo's "Feuerteutel", Lorelei's "Smoulderstruck" - The first one uses forced-3D features (i.e. smoke tendrils. Entries with paint-on clothing have been similarly rejected in the past) which can look odd when layered with apparel. The second one might have been disqualified for being too dark (the creator has currently submitted it as an independent skin, so we'll see how that turns out). The third one may run into the problem where it's too generic of a pattern, and/or adds too much darkness to the darker dragons.

Shrimp's "Gemforger" - I would guess that this accent was passed over for being too similar in form to the male Snapper accent from the Thundercrack Carnivale, combined with the fact that Snappers have one of the lowest breed populations (the Skydancer population is 3x higher, for example).

gowana's "Flamewalker" & Volpe's "Ragnarok" - both male Imperial skins, neither had as much support as Pudi's skin. Also note that while there were a few interesting male Imp accents, none of them had as much support as the winning skin either.
qIcJ82H.pngEmI9Jgd.png2ZYu6OU.png0mjfpw6.pngPXqYGyl.png
I really have no issue with the skins that are picked. Even the two male skydancers were different enough that I really don't agree with all the "there is no excuse to have two male sd skins that look the same" complaints. While I would like if there was some form of people's choice skin (that can't be abused), I can't agree with choosing 1 skin/accent for each breed or trying to narrow down the choices like that. If there are two amazing fae skins that the admin feel outshine any "underrepresented" breed's skin choices, then I'd rather have the fae ones. We already get quite a lot of selection and it's guaranteed that no matter what the change, nobody is going to ever be 100% happy with the skins picked. Ever holiday there are always complaints, regardless of whether the winning skins were good or not, everyone has different tastes.

@thecatsred Maybe I'm biased against coatls, but none of the coatl skins were really all that amazing to begin with, and I definitely don't think the admins should feel forced to pick a few skins based on the breed of dragon just because it belongs to the elemental holiday. If people want some amazing fire coatls to represent, then that's on them to make it and make it good.

@miirshroom Oh wow, that was an incredibly interesting read, thank you for posting it.
I really have no issue with the skins that are picked. Even the two male skydancers were different enough that I really don't agree with all the "there is no excuse to have two male sd skins that look the same" complaints. While I would like if there was some form of people's choice skin (that can't be abused), I can't agree with choosing 1 skin/accent for each breed or trying to narrow down the choices like that. If there are two amazing fae skins that the admin feel outshine any "underrepresented" breed's skin choices, then I'd rather have the fae ones. We already get quite a lot of selection and it's guaranteed that no matter what the change, nobody is going to ever be 100% happy with the skins picked. Ever holiday there are always complaints, regardless of whether the winning skins were good or not, everyone has different tastes.

@thecatsred Maybe I'm biased against coatls, but none of the coatl skins were really all that amazing to begin with, and I definitely don't think the admins should feel forced to pick a few skins based on the breed of dragon just because it belongs to the elemental holiday. If people want some amazing fire coatls to represent, then that's on them to make it and make it good.

@miirshroom Oh wow, that was an incredibly interesting read, thank you for posting it.
While I would have liked a little more variety this time around @miirshroom 's post has made it pretty clear that for the most part they're doing a fine job. I don't think this is quite the fiasco it's been played up to be here. Yeah it would be nice to get a few more tundras and mirrors in there - but as long as they're taking the players into consideration then I don't see the issue. :)
While I would have liked a little more variety this time around @miirshroom 's post has made it pretty clear that for the most part they're doing a fine job. I don't think this is quite the fiasco it's been played up to be here. Yeah it would be nice to get a few more tundras and mirrors in there - but as long as they're taking the players into consideration then I don't see the issue. :)
@Haven @Kyar

Yeah, thinking about the factors that go into the decision process, it could be worse, overall. It seems like the same complaint as last year, when female pearlcatchers were a popular choice.

On the other hand, the main problem with choosing two male Skydancer accents now, is that it sets up the potential for issues in the future. What if there's an amazing Skydancer accent submitted next festival, or the one after that, and everyone supports it? Do the admins choose it anyways? Then there's the fact that when we talk about "under-represented breeds", it's also helpful to take into account the fact that there are vastly more custom Skydancer/Wildclaw/Imp accents available than there are for the common/uncommon breeds...At the very least, hopefully the top accent makers are paying attention to the complaints this time around and focus their entries on breeds that are not Skydancers.

I do agree that it's all on the entrants, and not the admins, that coatls didn't get better representation with the selections. Most of the coatl skins/accents were not very inspiring, and it was quite fortunate that there was even one that made the cut (the accent that did win may be simple, but it is quite fitting).
@Haven @Kyar

Yeah, thinking about the factors that go into the decision process, it could be worse, overall. It seems like the same complaint as last year, when female pearlcatchers were a popular choice.

On the other hand, the main problem with choosing two male Skydancer accents now, is that it sets up the potential for issues in the future. What if there's an amazing Skydancer accent submitted next festival, or the one after that, and everyone supports it? Do the admins choose it anyways? Then there's the fact that when we talk about "under-represented breeds", it's also helpful to take into account the fact that there are vastly more custom Skydancer/Wildclaw/Imp accents available than there are for the common/uncommon breeds...At the very least, hopefully the top accent makers are paying attention to the complaints this time around and focus their entries on breeds that are not Skydancers.

I do agree that it's all on the entrants, and not the admins, that coatls didn't get better representation with the selections. Most of the coatl skins/accents were not very inspiring, and it was quite fortunate that there was even one that made the cut (the accent that did win may be simple, but it is quite fitting).
qIcJ82H.pngEmI9Jgd.png2ZYu6OU.png0mjfpw6.pngPXqYGyl.png
I really dislike the fact that there are two M SD feather accents. .-. If you are going to up the number of winning skins, could you at least pick some different ones?
I really dislike the fact that there are two M SD feather accents. .-. If you are going to up the number of winning skins, could you at least pick some different ones?
1009gIL.png
I did also think it was a bit much to have two accents that amount to the same thing, even though they're both gorgeous and I wouldn't hesitate to throw them on any of my skychickens. A little more variety in the winners would be wonderful, though.
I did also think it was a bit much to have two accents that amount to the same thing, even though they're both gorgeous and I wouldn't hesitate to throw them on any of my skychickens. A little more variety in the winners would be wonderful, though.
I fully agree. I like a variety of dragons and would like there to be a greater variety of accents. Why should the tundra lovers be neglected because of the breed they love? And those SD accents were far too similar for my liking. A different breed could have been picked imo. The quality should always be good, but breed should be taken into account when choosing. If there's two good sd accents and one good tundra accent, pick one good sd and one good tundra...
I fully agree. I like a variety of dragons and would like there to be a greater variety of accents. Why should the tundra lovers be neglected because of the breed they love? And those SD accents were far too similar for my liking. A different breed could have been picked imo. The quality should always be good, but breed should be taken into account when choosing. If there's two good sd accents and one good tundra accent, pick one good sd and one good tundra...
1 2 3