Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Iridescent/Shimmer for Ancients
1 2
Iridescent and Shimmer are likely to be added to Ancients, but I imagine that'd only happen after the outstanding issues on Moderns have been addressed.

It's been years of waiting for them to be fixed... I wouldn't hold my breath. :'D
Iridescent and Shimmer are likely to be added to Ancients, but I imagine that'd only happen after the outstanding issues on Moderns have been addressed.

It's been years of waiting for them to be fixed... I wouldn't hold my breath. :'D
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
Drudging this up to say support and hopefully get more eyes on it.

I feel like a lot of the foundation the site has been built is being left behind in favor of things that are quicker and easier to design. It's a shame. Iri/Shim and other gem genes being added to ancients would also be beneficial to the site in terms of gem sales I'm sure, so it seems like a worthwhile endeavor in the long run.
Drudging this up to say support and hopefully get more eyes on it.

I feel like a lot of the foundation the site has been built is being left behind in favor of things that are quicker and easier to design. It's a shame. Iri/Shim and other gem genes being added to ancients would also be beneficial to the site in terms of gem sales I'm sure, so it seems like a worthwhile endeavor in the long run.
x8xEApE.png
Support for a similar gene that can be automated instead. I don't support fixing the current iri/shim on moderns as it could cause a similar backlash as from the previous change on paisley on Auraboas. (It's also been 10 years; many players - myself included - has bought it for its specific look on a specific breed/pose. At most, I support a gene variant of it instead.)
Support for a similar gene that can be automated instead. I don't support fixing the current iri/shim on moderns as it could cause a similar backlash as from the previous change on paisley on Auraboas. (It's also been 10 years; many players - myself included - has bought it for its specific look on a specific breed/pose. At most, I support a gene variant of it instead.)
ckoudy.png -
ALPH PHRUSSIA He/him | FR+15
 » About me
 » Accent Shop
I would love to see iri/shim on ancients, so support if they can find a way to automate it's colouring or otherwise make it easier on the artists
I would love to see iri/shim on ancients, so support if they can find a way to automate it's colouring or otherwise make it easier on the artists
"Hi my name is Crow with a B and I’ve been afraid of insects my whole lif-" "Stop stop stop- where?" "What?" "Where’s the B? "TherE'S A BEE???"
Pixel Adopts --- Wishlist/Gene tracker
[quote name="@Alphruss" date="2024-05-11 04:39:07" ] Support for a similar gene that can be automated instead. I don't support fixing the current iri/shim on moderns as it could cause a similar backlash as from the previous change on paisley on Auraboas. (It's also been 10 years; many players - myself included - has bought it for its specific look on a specific breed/pose. At most, I support a gene variant of it instead.) [/quote] the fixing on moderns is adjusting the lineart because some colors of irishim cause the lineart to become thicker/darker for some reason - it doesnt have anything to do with recoloring it
@Alphruss wrote on 2024-05-11 04:39:07:
the fixing on moderns is adjusting the lineart because some colors of irishim cause the lineart to become thicker/darker for some reason - it doesnt have anything to do with recoloring it
41328.png -
cillian || adult || he/they
Candy Coated Dragons
adopts: obelisk | aether
The problem with IriShim is there is effectively two different versions of the genes, the softer ones for older colors; and the harsher more vibrant and more distinctly highlighted ones for newer colors after the original wheel was expanded. And because the userbase is pretty evenly split between which they prefer it's partly why they haven't really chosen to "fix" any errors on the moderns beyond tweaking the lineart here and there. Beyond that there aren't any "errors" effectively.

But for the sake of argument... IF ancients were to get the genes, once they figure out how to do it, they would likely appear as they do on Obelisks, in which ALL colors feature the more saturation and harsher highlights- because this is the newest breed with those genes. Is that something you'd be ok with? I know it's not everyone's jam, I'm not the hugest fan honestly but each gene has their ups and downs. I wouldn't say no to it.

It's one of those things where I think it might be better off making a set of genes that does something similar, but easier to work with. Lacquer/Varnish come close as does Fade/Blend. Assuming they're using the color-ator-inator (the system they use to generate images) for those genes, like they could just smash those two together and make it shiny. Name it like Pearl/Nacre or something. An Iri/Shim 2.0 if you will. It wouldn't be the first time they've taken a set of genes and come out with a newer one that does kinda the same thing but a bit to the left. You see it often with terts, take Firefly and Sparkle for example. Underbelly, Glimmer, and Capsule. Then you've got Scorpion and Plating. You could argue Fade/Blend and Lacquer/Varnish were attempts at this for Iri/shim. Maybe?

But I do agree ancients could do with something. Metallic/alloy is shiny but often much too dark. We need something that's unpatterned/minimal patterned 'shiny' but lighter in color, like the broken banescale metallic/alloy oooor.... like OG iri/shim. You could use Soap to get around this but.... then your tert is taken up by Soap and not another of the cool unique genes.
The problem with IriShim is there is effectively two different versions of the genes, the softer ones for older colors; and the harsher more vibrant and more distinctly highlighted ones for newer colors after the original wheel was expanded. And because the userbase is pretty evenly split between which they prefer it's partly why they haven't really chosen to "fix" any errors on the moderns beyond tweaking the lineart here and there. Beyond that there aren't any "errors" effectively.

But for the sake of argument... IF ancients were to get the genes, once they figure out how to do it, they would likely appear as they do on Obelisks, in which ALL colors feature the more saturation and harsher highlights- because this is the newest breed with those genes. Is that something you'd be ok with? I know it's not everyone's jam, I'm not the hugest fan honestly but each gene has their ups and downs. I wouldn't say no to it.

It's one of those things where I think it might be better off making a set of genes that does something similar, but easier to work with. Lacquer/Varnish come close as does Fade/Blend. Assuming they're using the color-ator-inator (the system they use to generate images) for those genes, like they could just smash those two together and make it shiny. Name it like Pearl/Nacre or something. An Iri/Shim 2.0 if you will. It wouldn't be the first time they've taken a set of genes and come out with a newer one that does kinda the same thing but a bit to the left. You see it often with terts, take Firefly and Sparkle for example. Underbelly, Glimmer, and Capsule. Then you've got Scorpion and Plating. You could argue Fade/Blend and Lacquer/Varnish were attempts at this for Iri/shim. Maybe?

But I do agree ancients could do with something. Metallic/alloy is shiny but often much too dark. We need something that's unpatterned/minimal patterned 'shiny' but lighter in color, like the broken banescale metallic/alloy oooor.... like OG iri/shim. You could use Soap to get around this but.... then your tert is taken up by Soap and not another of the cool unique genes.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
Support for iri/shim to be gene expansion genes
With the work that needs to be put into them they shouldn't be release genes but expansion genes so more time can be put into them
Support for iri/shim to be gene expansion genes
With the work that needs to be put into them they shouldn't be release genes but expansion genes so more time can be put into them
LEpJMnn.png
J8QoPxT.png
CtM8cLF.png tqGkHih.png
5DjYECS.png
I wonder if they could simply recreate essentially a 'new' gene that is ancient exclusive that is effectively irishim, but designed with the recolor engine in mind. Fade/Blend is often too accented to actually be usable in some cases, but an irishim-lite sounds like a happy medium to me. At this point I don't realistically ever see an ancient getting irishim.
I wonder if they could simply recreate essentially a 'new' gene that is ancient exclusive that is effectively irishim, but designed with the recolor engine in mind. Fade/Blend is often too accented to actually be usable in some cases, but an irishim-lite sounds like a happy medium to me. At this point I don't realistically ever see an ancient getting irishim.
I remember this thread from a little while back! While irishim isn't my thing I think this concept has potential
I remember this thread from a little while back! While irishim isn't my thing I think this concept has potential
1 2