Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Learning a new language.
1 2 3 4 5 6
I’m learning French right now! It’s fun! Difficult, but fun! At first I primarily used Duolingo and Rosetta Stone to learn, but when I went to high school I swapped to that. It was honestly a mistake bc my school has had a lot of trouble finding teachers who were both actually competent and willing to stay for longer than one semester, so it’s been a mess. While it’s been I’ve watched YouTube and joined discord groups. It’s had a huge impact on my ability to understand spoken French AND actually SPEAK the language. Writing and reading is great, but I want to be able to TALK to people, and I do not write or type fast enough to be able to write my half of the conversation.
@Gannet I’m the same! It’s so satisfying to just suddenly realize that you can understand what is being said; that your hard work paid off
I’m learning French right now! It’s fun! Difficult, but fun! At first I primarily used Duolingo and Rosetta Stone to learn, but when I went to high school I swapped to that. It was honestly a mistake bc my school has had a lot of trouble finding teachers who were both actually competent and willing to stay for longer than one semester, so it’s been a mess. While it’s been I’ve watched YouTube and joined discord groups. It’s had a huge impact on my ability to understand spoken French AND actually SPEAK the language. Writing and reading is great, but I want to be able to TALK to people, and I do not write or type fast enough to be able to write my half of the conversation.
@Gannet I’m the same! It’s so satisfying to just suddenly realize that you can understand what is being said; that your hard work paid off
IdadJz5.pngcx7nqhl.pnggHEW8iU.png
I am relearning French and learning kapampangan, Tagalog, Korean, and more recently American Sign Language!! I know a couple languages by ear but I don't know them 100% ): I even have trouble with my first language but I guess that's just how it is ToT

Kapampangan is what my family usually talks in, and I understand it well but have trouble speaking a lot, it's just that the sentences I say are baby talk.. so it's hard to convey my emotions in that language. I've been learning it for maybe umm 6 or7 years now! Same with tagalog, I understand taglish (tagalog and English) but when it's pure Tagalog it's difficult for me.

Btw, I relate with a lot of you for not knowing/parents not teaching our native language at a young age... I hope everyone knows that this doesn't make you any less of anything or disqualify you from your culture :')

For French, i started in sixth grade and took classes in high school too-- but no one except like two online friends speak French so I don't practice it a lot ;;;; though I can watch Miraculous Ladybug without subtitles and understand French songs if they're not singing too fast!! Korean is very fun but I am far from fluent, I only know basic words and can read but can't form sentences yet. I just started ASL last week because I've been reading this manga where the main character is hard of hearing and uses sign language too!! I use the app Drops, YouTube videos, flash cards and generally just try to consume a lot of media that are in these languages. I hope I can master some of these languages one day instead of dabbling a little here and there!!
I am relearning French and learning kapampangan, Tagalog, Korean, and more recently American Sign Language!! I know a couple languages by ear but I don't know them 100% ): I even have trouble with my first language but I guess that's just how it is ToT

Kapampangan is what my family usually talks in, and I understand it well but have trouble speaking a lot, it's just that the sentences I say are baby talk.. so it's hard to convey my emotions in that language. I've been learning it for maybe umm 6 or7 years now! Same with tagalog, I understand taglish (tagalog and English) but when it's pure Tagalog it's difficult for me.

Btw, I relate with a lot of you for not knowing/parents not teaching our native language at a young age... I hope everyone knows that this doesn't make you any less of anything or disqualify you from your culture :')

For French, i started in sixth grade and took classes in high school too-- but no one except like two online friends speak French so I don't practice it a lot ;;;; though I can watch Miraculous Ladybug without subtitles and understand French songs if they're not singing too fast!! Korean is very fun but I am far from fluent, I only know basic words and can read but can't form sentences yet. I just started ASL last week because I've been reading this manga where the main character is hard of hearing and uses sign language too!! I use the app Drops, YouTube videos, flash cards and generally just try to consume a lot of media that are in these languages. I hope I can master some of these languages one day instead of dabbling a little here and there!!
I was learning Russian and then Korean and now French. Gave up on the other two because, well, I have DID. Not everyone is exactly the best at keeping up with language learning (agony). The French is going... Slow. But we really want to learn! We tried in middle school and then dropped it and now we are basically a senior in high school </3

I've found it hard to keep up motivation. I guess I just dont see what ill do with it once I learn it (obviously speak or read it. mostly wanting to read and understand though. no one in my area speaks French anyway).

If anyone sees this and has any good reasons to learn a language (even small silly stuff!) let me know! And if anyone has personal methods they use to keep up with motivation and routine that would be wonderful <3
I was learning Russian and then Korean and now French. Gave up on the other two because, well, I have DID. Not everyone is exactly the best at keeping up with language learning (agony). The French is going... Slow. But we really want to learn! We tried in middle school and then dropped it and now we are basically a senior in high school </3

I've found it hard to keep up motivation. I guess I just dont see what ill do with it once I learn it (obviously speak or read it. mostly wanting to read and understand though. no one in my area speaks French anyway).

If anyone sees this and has any good reasons to learn a language (even small silly stuff!) let me know! And if anyone has personal methods they use to keep up with motivation and routine that would be wonderful <3
pLcovI9.pngkAof1pc.pngbYt72YT.pngOrlEqVx.png
lAvpyOQ.pnguFMfy5S.png
I'm learning Korean! My major requires that you take so many hours of a language. I was going to be in Italian but it didn't line up with the rest of my courses, so I ended up in Korean (it's so pretty sounding! ). Fast forward a couple semesters and I'm now in Intermediate level classes! (As opposed to being in Elementary.)

Learning another language can be difficult, but it's also really rewarding! It's so much fun to be able to understand what's being said in dramas and songs, and to be able to speak it with my classmates outside of class! The best advice I can give: take your time, don't stress out, and don't give up! Everyone learns at a different pace.
I'm learning Korean! My major requires that you take so many hours of a language. I was going to be in Italian but it didn't line up with the rest of my courses, so I ended up in Korean (it's so pretty sounding! ). Fast forward a couple semesters and I'm now in Intermediate level classes! (As opposed to being in Elementary.)

Learning another language can be difficult, but it's also really rewarding! It's so much fun to be able to understand what's being said in dramas and songs, and to be able to speak it with my classmates outside of class! The best advice I can give: take your time, don't stress out, and don't give up! Everyone learns at a different pace.
I'm currently (trying) to learn Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Hawaiian. I also really want to learn Tagalog and Thai but I have no idea where to learn those two because I can't learn it from a native speaker (I do have a filipino friend but they don't really know much Tagalog as when they were in the Philippines, they went to an international school.) and the Asian population is really small in my country, let alone my city.

Does anybody recommend any apps or websites I could use?
(I use Duolingo for Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Hawaiian but it doesn't have Tagalog or Thai)
I'm currently (trying) to learn Korean, Chinese, Japanese and Hawaiian. I also really want to learn Tagalog and Thai but I have no idea where to learn those two because I can't learn it from a native speaker (I do have a filipino friend but they don't really know much Tagalog as when they were in the Philippines, they went to an international school.) and the Asian population is really small in my country, let alone my city.

Does anybody recommend any apps or websites I could use?
(I use Duolingo for Korean, Japanese, Chinese and Hawaiian but it doesn't have Tagalog or Thai)
I’m not the best with forum rules so my bad if this is totally necro-posting; this is just such an awesome topic! I’ve taken French in the past, and may at some point pick it up again. While I have no particular affinity for it or the culture, I reassure the memories of those classes as the community we built there and with the teacher was very nice. The teacher was truly a gem, and we formed a very close bond; when her husband passed, it felt like a village coming together to mourn and reassure her — in spite of how different many of us were, we were together in that class and were together with her and in our care for her. The language I’m currently pursuing is Japanese, a very common pursuit. Thankfully, for me, I’m a language gifted person. While I’m no polyglot, I tend to take to linguistic things like a duck to water, and figuring them out and matching the sound has been a strength of mine which has been acknowledged even back in my days taking French. I’m currently at an N5-N4 level, and I feel very very happy with how far I’ve come. This year I’ll be going on an overseas trip as well, which is very exciting! Learning a language is fun and enriching, and while it can be difficult, rewarding yourself for consistency rather than scolding yourself for mistakes will help. Keep it a fun experience, enrich and immerse yourself, don’t let it become a chore! Much love to all my fellow language learners [emoji=familiar heart size=1] For @ScottishScurrie specifically, if you’re willing to invest money LingoDeer is the program I use, and houses both subscription based and one time payment based plans. I think going with the lifetime access during a sale — which there are plenty annual ones — is the best way; I mention it because it offers a lot of Asiatic languages and was founded with them first, before branching into a few ones including common European ones and some less seen languages like Vietnamese and Hindi, the latter which was added recently. It receives pretty consistent updates on content and such, including full new language courses, and offers resources to explain stuff before and during a lesson. Its ideally for mobile, but can be used on both mobile and PC. You can also choose how your language is presented (for example I study Japanese with it written as is, including kanji, but have Furigana turned on to show how something is read. You can also have things set to show kana and romaji readings, just kana and no kanji, etc.). The audio is all pretty clear, too, and voiced by an actual speaker — audio is also availed in both male and female, so you can pick your preference if one is present. Of the languages you mentioned it has Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Thai; no dice on Tagalog though. Sorry if the big dump isn’t very helpful!
I’m not the best with forum rules so my bad if this is totally necro-posting; this is just such an awesome topic!

I’ve taken French in the past, and may at some point pick it up again. While I have no particular affinity for it or the culture, I reassure the memories of those classes as the community we built there and with the teacher was very nice. The teacher was truly a gem, and we formed a very close bond; when her husband passed, it felt like a village coming together to mourn and reassure her — in spite of how different many of us were, we were together in that class and were together with her and in our care for her.

The language I’m currently pursuing is Japanese, a very common pursuit. Thankfully, for me, I’m a language gifted person. While I’m no polyglot, I tend to take to linguistic things like a duck to water, and figuring them out and matching the sound has been a strength of mine which has been acknowledged even back in my days taking French. I’m currently at an N5-N4 level, and I feel very very happy with how far I’ve come. This year I’ll be going on an overseas trip as well, which is very exciting!

Learning a language is fun and enriching, and while it can be difficult, rewarding yourself for consistency rather than scolding yourself for mistakes will help. Keep it a fun experience, enrich and immerse yourself, don’t let it become a chore! Much love to all my fellow language learners

For @ScottishScurrie specifically, if you’re willing to invest money LingoDeer is the program I use, and houses both subscription based and one time payment based plans. I think going with the lifetime access during a sale — which there are plenty annual ones — is the best way; I mention it because it offers a lot of Asiatic languages and was founded with them first, before branching into a few ones including common European ones and some less seen languages like Vietnamese and Hindi, the latter which was added recently. It receives pretty consistent updates on content and such, including full new language courses, and offers resources to explain stuff before and during a lesson. Its ideally for mobile, but can be used on both mobile and PC. You can also choose how your language is presented (for example I study Japanese with it written as is, including kanji, but have Furigana turned on to show how something is read. You can also have things set to show kana and romaji readings, just kana and no kanji, etc.). The audio is all pretty clear, too, and voiced by an actual speaker — audio is also availed in both male and female, so you can pick your preference if one is present.
Of the languages you mentioned it has Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Thai; no dice on Tagalog though. Sorry if the big dump isn’t very helpful!
Currently working on learning German. Not much progress made so far, but it's going well ????
Currently working on learning German. Not much progress made so far, but it's going well ????
0304941-D-23-B9-407-C-925-C-1-A4-DDF7-D58-B6.giflfh.png
im currently learning mandarin chinese.
it's definitely a challenge but I'm loving it. my partner and his family speak chinese natively so it's giving me more of a reason to study the language. taking it as a college course right now but I'm about to graduate so after that's done it's self study time. I already know german and korean so my list of languages I know is growing and hopefully I can expand! I do have to say that knowing korean somewhat helps with learning chinese lol
im currently learning mandarin chinese.
it's definitely a challenge but I'm loving it. my partner and his family speak chinese natively so it's giving me more of a reason to study the language. taking it as a college course right now but I'm about to graduate so after that's done it's self study time. I already know german and korean so my list of languages I know is growing and hopefully I can expand! I do have to say that knowing korean somewhat helps with learning chinese lol
JvT6zxD.png
frt +16
[quote name="luckydragonwolf" date="2023-05-23 16:30:31" ] So, within this past 24 hours, I've had a lot of... Experiences. We hit a deer with the car, I finally got to see a dietician, and I got to revisit the town I was born in. But, the possibly strangest one of all of these is my decision to pick up a new language - Portuguese. The thing is, I don't know why - but I feel like I see the language everywhere. Maybe it's my odd internet browsing habits, but I have stumbled across entire Portuguese forums, and I've really wanted to know what's going on. So, last night, at about 11:00 PM, I made my decision to pick it up. For nursing students, mastering multiple languages could unlock doors to diverse patient populations and enhance cultural competency. [url=https://www.nursingpaper.com/]nursingpaper.com[/url] could be a valuable resource and helper during writing nursing papers, aiding in language acquisition through specialized courses, tutorials, and research articles. By incorporating language learning into nursing education, students can better connect with patients, understand their needs, and provide more effective care, ultimately fostering a more inclusive and compassionate healthcare environment. Is anyone else here in the process of learning a new language? [/quote] Spanish in beginning process
luckydragonwolf wrote on 2023-05-23 16:30:31:
So, within this past 24 hours, I've had a lot of... Experiences. We hit a deer with the car, I finally got to see a dietician, and I got to revisit the town I was born in.

But, the possibly strangest one of all of these is my decision to pick up a new language - Portuguese.

The thing is, I don't know why - but I feel like I see the language everywhere. Maybe it's my odd internet browsing habits, but I have stumbled across entire Portuguese forums, and I've really wanted to know what's going on.

So, last night, at about 11:00 PM, I made my decision to pick it up.

For nursing students, mastering multiple languages could unlock doors to diverse patient populations and enhance cultural competency. nursingpaper.com could be a valuable resource and helper during writing nursing papers, aiding in language acquisition through specialized courses, tutorials, and research articles. By incorporating language learning into nursing education, students can better connect with patients, understand their needs, and provide more effective care, ultimately fostering a more inclusive and compassionate healthcare environment.
Is anyone else here in the process of learning a new language?
Spanish in beginning process
i've been deep into learning english since early 2018. thanks to indulging in youtube and writing a ton in these forums i've managed to achieve a decent level of fluency! my first ever actual piece of literature read fully in english is george orwell's 1984 (i read it half a year ago), and the most magical thing is how easy it was to understand everything despite the fact that it was published in 1949 by a british author and english i'm most familiar with is a bunch of informal americanized internet slang

i took some french in elementary school, but it was so painfully boring and confusing for some reason the moment i had a chance to drop it in favor of english - i did. last year i decided to give french another chance outside of badly structured school classes and it was actually a lot of fun! i started with the "default", metropolitan french, but i hope to later get into quebec french. i want to say that the flack people usually give to french spelling is a tad bit undeserved; their pronounciation matches rather well with spelling. the hardest part is maybe to guess how many letters are silent at the end, but otherwise it's a lot more straightforward than, let's say, english.

and finally, german. this year i'm too busy preparing to exams that will somewhat define my next 6 years of life so i couldn't realistically cram german into my routine to learn any impactful amount of it, but i spent like two weeks learning several hundred words and some basics of syntax to sorta dip my toes into it aaaaand i'm in love it's such a cool language. there's so much of it to experience, too! german wikipedia, iirc, has the biggest count of articles after english. since i'm a STEM student it could come in clutch in many ways in my field, too. and of course every slavic person trying to migrate ends up in germany, so i'm looking forward to this summer to hopefully get myself a full-time learning routine
i've been deep into learning english since early 2018. thanks to indulging in youtube and writing a ton in these forums i've managed to achieve a decent level of fluency! my first ever actual piece of literature read fully in english is george orwell's 1984 (i read it half a year ago), and the most magical thing is how easy it was to understand everything despite the fact that it was published in 1949 by a british author and english i'm most familiar with is a bunch of informal americanized internet slang

i took some french in elementary school, but it was so painfully boring and confusing for some reason the moment i had a chance to drop it in favor of english - i did. last year i decided to give french another chance outside of badly structured school classes and it was actually a lot of fun! i started with the "default", metropolitan french, but i hope to later get into quebec french. i want to say that the flack people usually give to french spelling is a tad bit undeserved; their pronounciation matches rather well with spelling. the hardest part is maybe to guess how many letters are silent at the end, but otherwise it's a lot more straightforward than, let's say, english.

and finally, german. this year i'm too busy preparing to exams that will somewhat define my next 6 years of life so i couldn't realistically cram german into my routine to learn any impactful amount of it, but i spent like two weeks learning several hundred words and some basics of syntax to sorta dip my toes into it aaaaand i'm in love it's such a cool language. there's so much of it to experience, too! german wikipedia, iirc, has the biggest count of articles after english. since i'm a STEM student it could come in clutch in many ways in my field, too. and of course every slavic person trying to migrate ends up in germany, so i'm looking forward to this summer to hopefully get myself a full-time learning routine
4350.png hey there! i would appreciate any sci-fi book recommendations, hit me up if you feel like it! (unrelated to the picture of barry bee benson)
1 2 3 4 5 6