Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Book Club! All are welcome!
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Started reading Alcatraz VS The Evil Librarians today! I've been wanting to read a Brandon Sanderson book for a while, The Stormlight Archive series would be an amazing read but the amount of words per book feels like a chore to do [emoji=aether sad size=1] (maybe I'll make it through if I grasped reading longer books? Idk) Also, I started reading it [i]very[/i] blindly and thought if I would start with the second book instead. Turns out, I was wrong. Freakin' Alcatraz himself made fun of me for starting the series in the wrong way! [emoji=aether scared size=1] It genuinely caught me off-guard because up until that point I didn't know this series is actually being self-aware. After that, I'm immediately stoked! (Also, I added myself into the pinglist!)
Started reading Alcatraz VS The Evil Librarians today! I've been wanting to read a Brandon Sanderson book for a while, The Stormlight Archive series would be an amazing read but the amount of words per book feels like a chore to do (maybe I'll make it through if I grasped reading longer books? Idk)

Also, I started reading it very blindly and thought if I would start with the second book instead. Turns out, I was wrong. Freakin' Alcatraz himself made fun of me for starting the series in the wrong way! It genuinely caught me off-guard because up until that point I didn't know this series is actually being self-aware. After that, I'm immediately stoked!

(Also, I added myself into the pinglist!)
@Painterish lmaooo that's fantastic. How did it make fun of you?
@Painterish lmaooo that's fantastic. How did it make fun of you?
1RsBrUA.pngu0zgn1V.pngWFhlmNb.pngOVImhZU.pngBCSOpq7.png
No way there's a book club in here, seems like I found my people! (also sorry for my english, not my first language)

At the moment I'm reading the seccond book to the Green Creek series by TJ Klune, it's a lgbt modern fantasy romance series, I'm hooked.

The series starts on Wolfsong with the story of Ox, a shy and slow kid who's been through too a lot, he has a loving mother and an absent father and this doesn't make things easy, but everything changes when a strange family moves to the house at the end of the lane, Joe, the youngest of the family, takes a liking towards him and that starts to change his life completely.

A thing I really like about TJ Klune is how he builds the dramas, the romances, he's strong on the feelings. Also how he writes traumatized characters, Wolfsong got me crying when I wasn't expecting and also laughing alone like a lunatic.

The first book I read of him was In the lives of Puppets, a queer retelling of Pinocchio, the characters are strong, funny, unexpected, I caught myself thinking about this book when I wasn't reading it, I needed more people to read so I could talk about it with someone else :')
I finished it and simply needed more. So here I am, buying every TJ Klune ebook there is and I hope I don't caught up so soon heheh.

If I could suggest books to anyone, atm it would be:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
Piranesi lives alone in a maze-like house. The house is huge in size and full of rooms and statues, in certain places the nature mixes with the architecture and it's a fantastic journey. He has a series of diaries that he writes on about the House and everything he finds out in it.
Sometimes, twice a week, for about an hour, Piranesi receives the visit of the only other person there exists, The Other, and they talk about the discoveries.

It's a very introspective journey and there's quite a lot of description, not much adventure, but it's amazing to see Piranesi's view of life and this strange House, how his view of the life itself is at the same time innocent and cientific.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Catherine Webb
Harry August is a Kalachakra, and what does it mean? Well, when he dies, his life starts over again, the same life in a cicle. He's born in 1919 in England and then his journey begins.
This book asks what's eternity, how much time a person takes to become bored of their own company if they know they objectively cannot die? What happens if we try to change the course of history? What happens when bad people have the power of time?
I always tought this book could be a great tv show.

What made me read this book whas a review I once listened on a podcast.
I'm born, when I regain conscience of who I am I'll find the oldest Kalachakra I know, let's say he's 96 or something like that. Right before he dies, I'll tell him this message to pass on. Then he dies. 96 years earlier he's reborn and ready to pass my message on to the next oldest Kalachakra he knows and as easy as this, messages are sent to the past for eons.

I honestly read a lot of different genres, but I'm in a mood of urban fantasy, psychological thriller and queer romance lately
No way there's a book club in here, seems like I found my people! (also sorry for my english, not my first language)

At the moment I'm reading the seccond book to the Green Creek series by TJ Klune, it's a lgbt modern fantasy romance series, I'm hooked.

The series starts on Wolfsong with the story of Ox, a shy and slow kid who's been through too a lot, he has a loving mother and an absent father and this doesn't make things easy, but everything changes when a strange family moves to the house at the end of the lane, Joe, the youngest of the family, takes a liking towards him and that starts to change his life completely.

A thing I really like about TJ Klune is how he builds the dramas, the romances, he's strong on the feelings. Also how he writes traumatized characters, Wolfsong got me crying when I wasn't expecting and also laughing alone like a lunatic.

The first book I read of him was In the lives of Puppets, a queer retelling of Pinocchio, the characters are strong, funny, unexpected, I caught myself thinking about this book when I wasn't reading it, I needed more people to read so I could talk about it with someone else :')
I finished it and simply needed more. So here I am, buying every TJ Klune ebook there is and I hope I don't caught up so soon heheh.

If I could suggest books to anyone, atm it would be:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke
Piranesi lives alone in a maze-like house. The house is huge in size and full of rooms and statues, in certain places the nature mixes with the architecture and it's a fantastic journey. He has a series of diaries that he writes on about the House and everything he finds out in it.
Sometimes, twice a week, for about an hour, Piranesi receives the visit of the only other person there exists, The Other, and they talk about the discoveries.

It's a very introspective journey and there's quite a lot of description, not much adventure, but it's amazing to see Piranesi's view of life and this strange House, how his view of the life itself is at the same time innocent and cientific.

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Catherine Webb
Harry August is a Kalachakra, and what does it mean? Well, when he dies, his life starts over again, the same life in a cicle. He's born in 1919 in England and then his journey begins.
This book asks what's eternity, how much time a person takes to become bored of their own company if they know they objectively cannot die? What happens if we try to change the course of history? What happens when bad people have the power of time?
I always tought this book could be a great tv show.

What made me read this book whas a review I once listened on a podcast.
I'm born, when I regain conscience of who I am I'll find the oldest Kalachakra I know, let's say he's 96 or something like that. Right before he dies, I'll tell him this message to pass on. Then he dies. 96 years earlier he's reborn and ready to pass my message on to the next oldest Kalachakra he knows and as easy as this, messages are sent to the past for eons.

I honestly read a lot of different genres, but I'm in a mood of urban fantasy, psychological thriller and queer romance lately
nature_1.png ~ Hare
~ Virgo
~ Gray-Ace
~ Cat mom
~ She/her
~ Fae lover
~ Apparel crazy lady
~ Colliseum avid player
~ Nature by heart
~ Lair Tabs save lives
Back with some more quick book reviews! I've read a few since last time, let's see if I can remember them all.

Hell Followed With Us by Andrew Joseph White - this book was fantastic! I'd heard a lot of good things and it lived up to the hype. A really gritty post-apocalyptic story about a boy turning into a monster, except he's one of the least monstrous people in the book. There's a lot of body horror in here, and the book comes with a list of trigger warnings, so pay attention to that I suppose, but I highly recommend this book. Great characters, awesome rep, lots of over-the-top religious imagery that somehow manages to work. I've already picked up the author's second book. 4.5/5 for sure.

Never Whistle at Night by Various Authors - this is an anthology of indigenous horror/dark fiction stories, so naturally the good or bad factor varies by story. Some I liked, some I didn't, but overall, I think it was well worth a read. As someone who isn't indigenous myself, it was very insightful to see those perspectives on horror. The high point for me was a horror-comedy story called "The Longest Street in the World". I feel like other people won't like that one as much, but it charmed me. Other good ones: Behind Colin's Eyes, Heart-Shaped Clock, and Before I Go. My least favorite was probably "The Ones Who Killed Us", mostly because I couldn't make much sense of the purple prose. Overall, a solid 3.5/5. I recommend it, but not every single story is a banger. Definitely also for adults.

We All Fall Down by Rose Szabo - my feelings on this book are... complicated. It wasn't badly written, the characters were well fleshed-out and three-dimensional, and I enjoyed the worldbuilding. The problem is that things don't really... happen? The plot meanders a lot, and there isn't really much of an ending. Something is built up very heavily throughout the book, only to happen very quickly and not seem to do much. I feel like I liked it, but I also was disappointed. There's supposed to be a sequel, but as of now it hasn't even been announced, and the book was published in 2022. I have a feeling it might've been cancelled. 2.5/5, mostly for the ending.

This Savage Song by V. E. Schwab - I deviated from my list again, picking this book up on a recommendation. And I'm glad I did, because I really, really enjoyed it. Some review I read said that the book was basically Romeo and Juliet in a post-apocalypse. That could not be further from what this book is about. The main characters are on different sides of a stalemate conflict, but that's the only similarity. It's about a girl who's trying to fit in with her criminal boss of a dad, and a boy (who happens to be a monster) trying to fit in with humans. They end up together in a situation that could shatter the fragile peace in their monster-infested city, and you know, the story goes from there. I liked the writing (aside from one really repetitive word that bugged the crap out of me), I really liked the characters, I liked the fast pace of the story. I've already picked up the sequel and am currently devouring it. 4.5/5.

And I think that's all of them? I've been reading more than usual lately, which I think is a good thing.

@harecandy I've been seeing the book Wolfsong in stores and wondering what it was about, so thank you for the synopsis. Also, your English is fine! :)
Back with some more quick book reviews! I've read a few since last time, let's see if I can remember them all.

Hell Followed With Us by Andrew Joseph White - this book was fantastic! I'd heard a lot of good things and it lived up to the hype. A really gritty post-apocalyptic story about a boy turning into a monster, except he's one of the least monstrous people in the book. There's a lot of body horror in here, and the book comes with a list of trigger warnings, so pay attention to that I suppose, but I highly recommend this book. Great characters, awesome rep, lots of over-the-top religious imagery that somehow manages to work. I've already picked up the author's second book. 4.5/5 for sure.

Never Whistle at Night by Various Authors - this is an anthology of indigenous horror/dark fiction stories, so naturally the good or bad factor varies by story. Some I liked, some I didn't, but overall, I think it was well worth a read. As someone who isn't indigenous myself, it was very insightful to see those perspectives on horror. The high point for me was a horror-comedy story called "The Longest Street in the World". I feel like other people won't like that one as much, but it charmed me. Other good ones: Behind Colin's Eyes, Heart-Shaped Clock, and Before I Go. My least favorite was probably "The Ones Who Killed Us", mostly because I couldn't make much sense of the purple prose. Overall, a solid 3.5/5. I recommend it, but not every single story is a banger. Definitely also for adults.

We All Fall Down by Rose Szabo - my feelings on this book are... complicated. It wasn't badly written, the characters were well fleshed-out and three-dimensional, and I enjoyed the worldbuilding. The problem is that things don't really... happen? The plot meanders a lot, and there isn't really much of an ending. Something is built up very heavily throughout the book, only to happen very quickly and not seem to do much. I feel like I liked it, but I also was disappointed. There's supposed to be a sequel, but as of now it hasn't even been announced, and the book was published in 2022. I have a feeling it might've been cancelled. 2.5/5, mostly for the ending.

This Savage Song by V. E. Schwab - I deviated from my list again, picking this book up on a recommendation. And I'm glad I did, because I really, really enjoyed it. Some review I read said that the book was basically Romeo and Juliet in a post-apocalypse. That could not be further from what this book is about. The main characters are on different sides of a stalemate conflict, but that's the only similarity. It's about a girl who's trying to fit in with her criminal boss of a dad, and a boy (who happens to be a monster) trying to fit in with humans. They end up together in a situation that could shatter the fragile peace in their monster-infested city, and you know, the story goes from there. I liked the writing (aside from one really repetitive word that bugged the crap out of me), I really liked the characters, I liked the fast pace of the story. I've already picked up the sequel and am currently devouring it. 4.5/5.

And I think that's all of them? I've been reading more than usual lately, which I think is a good thing.

@harecandy I've been seeing the book Wolfsong in stores and wondering what it was about, so thank you for the synopsis. Also, your English is fine! :)
Leu | She/Her | FR+3
15587.png7695.png34822.png25781.png34786.png16453.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10