Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | [ART] MyDusthide interpretation/redesign
1 2 3
[center] HALLO I love the concept of Dusthides and their obvious inspirations and have been sketching ideas on how I could push the design further and make it fit into its environment/niche! Here's my ideas: [img]https://i.imgur.com/QnjqIvT.png[/img] [LIST] [*] A longer snout for an insectivore diet accompanied with a long, sticky tongue! [*] Completely wingless! (I theorize that they could be related to banescales as they both have only four limbs in my redesign) Secondary colors would go on the armor/ osteoderm plating as a substitute. [*] I love the thought of antennae and little hairs being utilized in their underground habitat, to sense the environment around them when in darkness, or find food via their sensitive antennae. [*] Little ears! Because their culture has an emphasis on forms of speech, I wanted to give at least a little nod to that in their design. [*] They walk on their knuckles and have long claws used for digging. [/LIST] Some things that I initially wanted to include I decided to do away with because unfortunately it looked to far away from the source material; mainly making it more arthropod/isopod like and giving it extra legs. I'm also open to any further suggestions/tweaks, I think there's a lot of ways you can go with a redesign tbh ALSO while you're here, here's a quick sandsurge redesign I did on their release (so its a bit old) I realize they look a bit similar but tbf they are both burrowers [img]https://i.imgur.com/7bAEQhb.png[/img]
HALLO I love the concept of Dusthides and their obvious inspirations and have been sketching ideas on how I could push the design further and make it fit into its environment/niche! Here's my ideas:
QnjqIvT.png
  • A longer snout for an insectivore diet accompanied with a long, sticky tongue!
  • Completely wingless! (I theorize that they could be related to banescales as they both have only four limbs in my redesign) Secondary colors would go on the armor/ osteoderm plating as a substitute.
  • I love the thought of antennae and little hairs being utilized in their underground habitat, to sense the environment around them when in darkness, or find food via their sensitive antennae.
  • Little ears! Because their culture has an emphasis on forms of speech, I wanted to give at least a little nod to that in their design.
  • They walk on their knuckles and have long claws used for digging.

Some things that I initially wanted to include I decided to do away with because unfortunately it looked to far away from the source material; mainly making it more arthropod/isopod like and giving it extra legs.

I'm also open to any further suggestions/tweaks, I think there's a lot of ways you can go with a redesign tbh

ALSO while you're here, here's a quick sandsurge redesign I did on their release (so its a bit old)
I realize they look a bit similar but tbf they are both burrowers

7bAEQhb.png
rrm9bEo.png YI181d4.png
ough.....i love him.

i like dusthides a lot tbh but i so badly want this kind of variance in shape and body features.
ough.....i love him.

i like dusthides a lot tbh but i so badly want this kind of variance in shape and body features.
9121892.png xxxxx
qLQeTFk.gif
xxxxx
ARAxlYW.png
oxDm2Un.png
FObX7rS.png
nWiQNX9.png
mlHpBMC.png
NQ1Ze0S.png
You make me want to draw,,,, these are fantastic
You make me want to draw,,,, these are fantastic
bopkvX7.png6uOrxEk.pnglPoxjfq.pngI90HedT.png4BDFKZ4.png
*eyes emoji* i really like this interpretation
*eyes emoji* i really like this interpretation
WKtl2lb.png
fkWjutW.png
+++++++++++++++++++++++
When all else fails, use fire.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
tumblr_inline_njw5izoAKY1qg2i5p.gif
I admit, I really like the Sandsurge interpretation/redesign; I love the fin pattern!
I admit, I really like the Sandsurge interpretation/redesign; I love the fin pattern!
Give a like if you think they're cool--->86520977.png93331792.png92525955.png
ohhh they look like such friendly critters i love them
ohhh they look like such friendly critters i love them
she doesnt even know
basic math--->
XSQWCA5.gif 3CzZFT6.png
- she/her
- please ping
in reply+quote
klfGHc7.png67-E654-DE-BBB7-441-C-BAE1-F4-EDB05-BC922.png
great use of shapes in the first drawing. love how the forearms are built for digging and super muscular, and how the design of the dragon leads the eyes from the head all the way back to the massive tail.
great use of shapes in the first drawing. love how the forearms are built for digging and super muscular, and how the design of the dragon leads the eyes from the head all the way back to the massive tail.
xulc4O8.png
auuu I LOVE.....their knuckle-walkiness!! it brings to mind a lot of other insectivores so I love that big giant tongue too [emoji=imperial tongue size=1] their fuzzies/vibrissae are my favorite part tho, that plus the face antennae/isopod whiskies I think are so neat and definitely give huge "burrowing around everywhere" vibes, and honestly I like the lil ears too bc the way theyre sheltered by the shell makes sense. PLUS omg that is a huge chonky neck and I LOVE it, I think fr suffers from too much noodleneck at times (looking at you fpose aurbosas) and THIS is the kind of neck that we could use. it gets the job DONE also tho I know "practically" (ie if this were the breed design) they would have every eye type, but I love that you drew them with horizontal pupils. it fits this design so well
auuu I LOVE.....their knuckle-walkiness!! it brings to mind a lot of other insectivores so I love that big giant tongue too their fuzzies/vibrissae are my favorite part tho, that plus the face antennae/isopod whiskies I think are so neat and definitely give huge "burrowing around everywhere" vibes, and honestly I like the lil ears too bc the way theyre sheltered by the shell makes sense. PLUS omg that is a huge chonky neck and I LOVE it, I think fr suffers from too much noodleneck at times (looking at you fpose aurbosas) and THIS is the kind of neck that we could use. it gets the job DONE

also tho I know "practically" (ie if this were the breed design) they would have every eye type, but I love that you drew them with horizontal pupils. it fits this design so well
KHUgIpL.gif sMnKARY.png fK5z2eq.gif
+100 I would have loves a beast like this sooo much
+100 I would have loves a beast like this sooo much
Pressed Morning Glory Venex
they/them
_^___^
(=0ω0=)
23378621.png Pressed Moonflower
huge fan of the tiny ballin doodle
huge fan of the tiny ballin doodle
6dXZi9G.gif
| Tiv ||