Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | On the community itself
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[quote name="MaplesHaiku" date="2024-04-18 11:41:17" ] [quote name="Uyi" date="2024-04-18 11:23:17" ] i don't mean to be rude here, but where is the toxic positivity you're talking about? i don't go through the forums all that often, so maybe ive missed them, but i haven't seen a single example of this happening as of this breed release [/quote] I haven't really looked much at the recent negative threads because it's really exhausting for me, but I have definitely seen people who act like OP says during my time on the site. I don't doubt people act like this now. I do think toxic positivity was worse back then than it is now, but that doesn't mean it's still there. [/quote] oh i have no doubts that it does happen still, and i have seen such comments in the past, but the way the OP is phrased is that there is too much toxic positivity. now, i don't follow off-site commentary on FR so i don't know how it is over there, but on the site i have seen barely anything like what OP says
MaplesHaiku wrote on 2024-04-18 11:41:17:
Uyi wrote on 2024-04-18 11:23:17:
i don't mean to be rude here, but where is the toxic positivity you're talking about? i don't go through the forums all that often, so maybe ive missed them, but i haven't seen a single example of this happening as of this breed release
I haven't really looked much at the recent negative threads because it's really exhausting for me, but I have definitely seen people who act like OP says during my time on the site. I don't doubt people act like this now. I do think toxic positivity was worse back then than it is now, but that doesn't mean it's still there.

oh i have no doubts that it does happen still, and i have seen such comments in the past, but the way the OP is phrased is that there is too much toxic positivity.

now, i don't follow off-site commentary on FR so i don't know how it is over there, but on the site i have seen barely anything like what OP says
I'm not trying to be rude or anything when I say this, but I really don't understand the constant need to complain about new ancient breeds. The eggs are handed out for free, if you dislike the breed just sell or exalt the hatchlings and move on. I would understand more if people had to pay treasure or gems for the eggs but they're free.

And it wasn't just one or two threads complaining about the Dusthides. It was several filling up the front page on the forums. The same thing happened with the Auraboas.

Toxic positivity is a problem but so is the constant need to complain whenever a new breed doesn't appeal to you.
I'm not trying to be rude or anything when I say this, but I really don't understand the constant need to complain about new ancient breeds. The eggs are handed out for free, if you dislike the breed just sell or exalt the hatchlings and move on. I would understand more if people had to pay treasure or gems for the eggs but they're free.

And it wasn't just one or two threads complaining about the Dusthides. It was several filling up the front page on the forums. The same thing happened with the Auraboas.

Toxic positivity is a problem but so is the constant need to complain whenever a new breed doesn't appeal to you.
13578.png24847.png480.png ARAxlYW.png
5iXiC8z.png
ll0CfnD.png
[quote name="earthrises" date="2024-04-18 11:38:36" ] @Likewise please point out where i mentioned that if you like the update you're not valid when this post is specifically about being invalidated constantly for not liking something new on site and having good reasons for it. i've gone out of my way in my comments on threads where i talk about the breed to say that it's cool if you like it but i have these specific issues with it. my issue is being dismissed as just a hater or anything like that for not just liking things as they are. [/quote] Sorry that happened to you, but my experience has been people discussing the breed with actual talking points. What have noticed is that people who like the breed will generally say what they like about it and be specific about their likes. Often people who dislike the breed will do the same. However, making blanket statements such as "this breed is lazy" or "staff isn't trying hard enough" isn't fair criticism, it's just plain mean and making assumptions about stuff that's going on behind the scenes. Then when other users chime in to say that they do actually like the breed, no matter how polite they are, they're told they're being toxic.
earthrises wrote on 2024-04-18 11:38:36:
@Likewise please point out where i mentioned that if you like the update you're not valid when this post is specifically about being invalidated constantly for not liking something new on site and having good reasons for it. i've gone out of my way in my comments on threads where i talk about the breed to say that it's cool if you like it but i have these specific issues with it. my issue is being dismissed as just a hater or anything like that for not just liking things as they are.

Sorry that happened to you, but my experience has been people discussing the breed with actual talking points. What have noticed is that people who like the breed will generally say what they like about it and be specific about their likes. Often people who dislike the breed will do the same.

However, making blanket statements such as "this breed is lazy" or "staff isn't trying hard enough" isn't fair criticism, it's just plain mean and making assumptions about stuff that's going on behind the scenes. Then when other users chime in to say that they do actually like the breed, no matter how polite they are, they're told they're being toxic.
dlJsEIj.png
@earthrises

the people that do say things like "you can't dislike the new breed" or "you can't criticise the breed" are in the wrong, yes. i suppose the way you speak about it makes it appear as a much larger problem than it actually is.

if i do end up finding lots of posts that fit within this category then yes, there is a problem. i do recall from the Sandsurge release there being a lot of back and forth, but there were good arguments on both sides of the spectrum. i haven't seen this as much though for Dusthides.
@earthrises

the people that do say things like "you can't dislike the new breed" or "you can't criticise the breed" are in the wrong, yes. i suppose the way you speak about it makes it appear as a much larger problem than it actually is.

if i do end up finding lots of posts that fit within this category then yes, there is a problem. i do recall from the Sandsurge release there being a lot of back and forth, but there were good arguments on both sides of the spectrum. i haven't seen this as much though for Dusthides.
Coming from Dragon Cave, I can say the discourse between the two sites feels very similar regarding new content and criticism of such (both helpful and unhelpful). If it's a community thing I doubt it's specific to Flight Rising, its possibly a quality shared among a wider branch of petsites. I can only speak to Dragon Cave and more recently Flight Rising, however.

More specifically regarding myself - I usually just avoid criticism threads. It just saps my energy, and here especially I feel like I don't have anything to contribute beyond a surface level take. Some discussions just shut out groups of players, and I'm not sure if anything can or should be done about that.
Coming from Dragon Cave, I can say the discourse between the two sites feels very similar regarding new content and criticism of such (both helpful and unhelpful). If it's a community thing I doubt it's specific to Flight Rising, its possibly a quality shared among a wider branch of petsites. I can only speak to Dragon Cave and more recently Flight Rising, however.

More specifically regarding myself - I usually just avoid criticism threads. It just saps my energy, and here especially I feel like I don't have anything to contribute beyond a surface level take. Some discussions just shut out groups of players, and I'm not sure if anything can or should be done about that.
I don't think there being more than one thread with constructive critism is bad, I mean, there's just as many if not more threads that are exclusively focused on positivity or are "neutral" threads, threads asking for thoughts on all parts of the conversation :O I understand it's easier to focus on the negative more than the positive, but I don't think it's fair that all comments of a particular type, negative in this case, need to be "limited" to just one or two threads- there's enough nuance and talking points that I think it's okay to let them be as long as they stay within line and are respectful! They should have as much room to discuss as the positive ones do because it keeps the conversation varied but also within their own spaces to make it easier for users to pick and choose what parts they are and aren't interested in reading and discussing.
I don't think there being more than one thread with constructive critism is bad, I mean, there's just as many if not more threads that are exclusively focused on positivity or are "neutral" threads, threads asking for thoughts on all parts of the conversation :O I understand it's easier to focus on the negative more than the positive, but I don't think it's fair that all comments of a particular type, negative in this case, need to be "limited" to just one or two threads- there's enough nuance and talking points that I think it's okay to let them be as long as they stay within line and are respectful! They should have as much room to discuss as the positive ones do because it keeps the conversation varied but also within their own spaces to make it easier for users to pick and choose what parts they are and aren't interested in reading and discussing.
[quote name="SpiderSpot" date="2024-04-18 11:52:40" ] Toxic positivity is a problem but so is the constant need to complain whenever a new breed doesn't appeal to you. [/quote] People have the same right to say they dislike something and give feedback as the ones that voice their liking of a new thing, and neither of those situations have to be a personal attack. Both can coexist.
SpiderSpot wrote on 2024-04-18 11:52:40:
People have the same right to say they dislike something and give feedback as the ones that voice their liking of a new thing, and neither of those situations have to be a personal attack. Both can coexist.
01dcb6e24e7faa8f177f36434c4fba6a7f02ed03.gif
I can understand why ‘criticism’ itself can be pretty harmful. But trying to read between the words can give a constructive framework, and a lot of people who are already giving constructive criticism are already filling that in. But disregarding these criticisms as ‘complaining’ and ‘hating’ isn’t a great thing either. If you want positivity, please give these positive threads a visit than negative/criticizing threads. You’re counteracting yourself (general you) by giving negative/criticizing threads attention.
I can understand why ‘criticism’ itself can be pretty harmful. But trying to read between the words can give a constructive framework, and a lot of people who are already giving constructive criticism are already filling that in. But disregarding these criticisms as ‘complaining’ and ‘hating’ isn’t a great thing either. If you want positivity, please give these positive threads a visit than negative/criticizing threads. You’re counteracting yourself (general you) by giving negative/criticizing threads attention.
91423843p.png Avatar
Dragon
7691.png Selling G1s! 196.png Trading Notes for Notes!
Closed
...we should go outside.
...we should go outside.
Jd88XNq.png
sh5xjiu.pngQwz7flm.png
ZKQ6ohh.pngtNgQJvM.pngDgV9RW4.png
gNKHrxH.png1bSJVgF.pngbYt72YT.png
FBhgews.png9qLrp5W.pngRWhZ0Cq.pngaef8eafda28aee269865ab582e14a312ac4c2f3c.png6e97a552d6cb288faaaf054be66db8a44c0e78e9.pngQk0VB5d.png
[quote name="Khuzdul" date="2024-04-18 11:34:04" ] My biggest problem with new breed releases is the amount of threads made that dislike the new breed. As someone that doesn't like conflict, seeing more than.. 2-3 threads about the same-ish thing really drains me. I try not to step foot into FRD for the first day of release. At least not the threads complaining (I use complaining here a little loosely) about them. Constructive criticism is good! And like others have said, some people do go a little overboard (on both sides) and things get heated. Just, when there's multiple threads saying the same thing? It gets tiring.. [/quote] Basically, this. In general I find it tiring to see multiple threads all about the same subject, as it makes it difficult to navigate the forums. I also see some people doing stuff like calling the artists/staff "lazy" or "uninspired" occasionally, or other unconstructive/overly negative statements. I believe a staff member had to explain that if you dislike a new item release, that's okay to express, but it's also important to keep criticism constructive. In addition, I feel like some people need to keep in mind that if they dislike a new item that was released, there isn't really anything saying that they [i]have[/i] to use it.
Khuzdul wrote on 2024-04-18 11:34:04:
My biggest problem with new breed releases is the amount of threads made that dislike the new breed. As someone that doesn't like conflict, seeing more than.. 2-3 threads about the same-ish thing really drains me. I try not to step foot into FRD for the first day of release. At least not the threads complaining (I use complaining here a little loosely) about them.

Constructive criticism is good! And like others have said, some people do go a little overboard (on both sides) and things get heated. Just, when there's multiple threads saying the same thing? It gets tiring..
Basically, this. In general I find it tiring to see multiple threads all about the same subject, as it makes it difficult to navigate the forums.

I also see some people doing stuff like calling the artists/staff "lazy" or "uninspired" occasionally, or other unconstructive/overly negative statements. I believe a staff member had to explain that if you dislike a new item release, that's okay to express, but it's also important to keep criticism constructive.

In addition, I feel like some people need to keep in mind that if they dislike a new item that was released, there isn't really anything saying that they have to use it.
Tobias | He/Him | Fiesta de Muertos and The Flying Trapeze (100 hatchling challenges)
Regarding forum games, please only select dragons who have familiars - those are the permanent residents of my lair. Feel free to look through the hibernal den, too
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8