Back

Guides

Community created guides, helpful strategies, and more.
TOPIC | Dragon Gene Tracker
I've never actually posted on the forums before so forgive me if there's any mistakes, I'll try and fix any problems that are brought up.
I've recently gotten back in FR and have been using Google Sheets to track important information, including what genes I want for which dragons in my WIP tab. I worked really hard trying to figure out how to make colour coding and calculating work, along with just organizing every single gene as of rn into their respective categories.

Here's the link to a blank version, feel free to make copies and use it for yourselves!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AwfGjxiiL3d6Jd1Bes4gL2TjKX7HsIh6XDy1qe6R4C8/edit?usp=sharing

For an explanation, here is my personal sheet as an example:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GfDWpJ0_QhPWMGcw1dpOAHM1uHif9tljhYPn4o_hPbM/edit?usp=sharing

I assume the categories are obvious, breed, name, primary, secondary, species, and eyes all refer to what you may want to change about a respective dragon.

Dragon Breed:
I set up column A so that if you put in the breed of a dragon it will use the list on sheet 2 to categorize them into Modern or Ancient for easy identification of which variety of gene you will need to buy/obtain.

Dragon Names:
Fairly self explanatory, put in the dragon's name so you can keep track of which dragon needs what genes

Primary-Tertiary:
Like breed, these columns are auto-categorizing based on the information in sheet 2. I categorized them by where they are obtained, full list being on sheet2, in order to keep track of what things I needed to do for which genes and prioritize some genes over others.
In order to adjust the colour-coding or information to your own needs/wants, you can do these things:

Colours/Fonts: To change the colours, right click one of the three gene columns and go to the bottom where it says more cell actions. From there, click Conditional Formatting and it should pull up the formatting rules on the right side of the screen. Click on the formatting you'd like to change (ex. burnt orange is tied to treasure marketplace) and at the bottom of the single colour rules it should say custom with a variety of options. From there you can make the formatting bold/italicize/etc the words or use the fill bucket to change what colour the formatting will make the appropriate genes. Once you've made up your mind, just click done and it'll save your changes!
I know my colours are not the most beautiful but I'm very sensitive to light so I had to make everything duller than what one would probably find most attractive.

Categories: This one is a little harder and more tedious but essentially you will need to go into sheet 2 and change all the info yourself. You can change the titles, which category genes go in, etc, you just should avoid changing the Named Range's name because those go directly into the formula that the colour-coding relies on.
If you really want to, you can change the Named Range names but you will have to go into each individual Conditional Format Rule and change the name inside of the "" so that the sheet will be able to recognize what it is referencing.

Species/Eyes:
These columns are for which species change or eye vial you'll need for your customizations. Don't worry about the species column accidentally changing to categorize them at ancient or modern, this column is separate and will only sort out where to obtain them, not what variety of breed they are.
As of rn I have not input where to obtain the breeds and eyes but feel free to check back and I should have that eventually.

Gene Calculator:
The colour-coded area with different categories and numbers is a dynamic calculator that is supposed to calculate how many things you need from each individual place. You can change the colour-coding to match what you have made it in the Conditional Formatting by doing the standard highlight the cell and use the fill tool. These will not change colours by themselves so you do need to change them individually.

I will try to keep this updated with new genes/species/eye types come out but I cannot guarantee how quickly I will update it.
If you find any mistakes (gene's in the wrong category, coding error, etc) feel free to mention them and I'll do my best to fix them. I'm not an expert in coding, I essentially only know how to frankencode so if it looks awful to someone who actually understands this stuff... Sorry ^-^'
Honestly if this helps even one person that'll make me happy so thank you for bothering to look <3
I've never actually posted on the forums before so forgive me if there's any mistakes, I'll try and fix any problems that are brought up.
I've recently gotten back in FR and have been using Google Sheets to track important information, including what genes I want for which dragons in my WIP tab. I worked really hard trying to figure out how to make colour coding and calculating work, along with just organizing every single gene as of rn into their respective categories.

Here's the link to a blank version, feel free to make copies and use it for yourselves!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AwfGjxiiL3d6Jd1Bes4gL2TjKX7HsIh6XDy1qe6R4C8/edit?usp=sharing

For an explanation, here is my personal sheet as an example:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GfDWpJ0_QhPWMGcw1dpOAHM1uHif9tljhYPn4o_hPbM/edit?usp=sharing

I assume the categories are obvious, breed, name, primary, secondary, species, and eyes all refer to what you may want to change about a respective dragon.

Dragon Breed:
I set up column A so that if you put in the breed of a dragon it will use the list on sheet 2 to categorize them into Modern or Ancient for easy identification of which variety of gene you will need to buy/obtain.

Dragon Names:
Fairly self explanatory, put in the dragon's name so you can keep track of which dragon needs what genes

Primary-Tertiary:
Like breed, these columns are auto-categorizing based on the information in sheet 2. I categorized them by where they are obtained, full list being on sheet2, in order to keep track of what things I needed to do for which genes and prioritize some genes over others.
In order to adjust the colour-coding or information to your own needs/wants, you can do these things:

Colours/Fonts: To change the colours, right click one of the three gene columns and go to the bottom where it says more cell actions. From there, click Conditional Formatting and it should pull up the formatting rules on the right side of the screen. Click on the formatting you'd like to change (ex. burnt orange is tied to treasure marketplace) and at the bottom of the single colour rules it should say custom with a variety of options. From there you can make the formatting bold/italicize/etc the words or use the fill bucket to change what colour the formatting will make the appropriate genes. Once you've made up your mind, just click done and it'll save your changes!
I know my colours are not the most beautiful but I'm very sensitive to light so I had to make everything duller than what one would probably find most attractive.

Categories: This one is a little harder and more tedious but essentially you will need to go into sheet 2 and change all the info yourself. You can change the titles, which category genes go in, etc, you just should avoid changing the Named Range's name because those go directly into the formula that the colour-coding relies on.
If you really want to, you can change the Named Range names but you will have to go into each individual Conditional Format Rule and change the name inside of the "" so that the sheet will be able to recognize what it is referencing.

Species/Eyes:
These columns are for which species change or eye vial you'll need for your customizations. Don't worry about the species column accidentally changing to categorize them at ancient or modern, this column is separate and will only sort out where to obtain them, not what variety of breed they are.
As of rn I have not input where to obtain the breeds and eyes but feel free to check back and I should have that eventually.

Gene Calculator:
The colour-coded area with different categories and numbers is a dynamic calculator that is supposed to calculate how many things you need from each individual place. You can change the colour-coding to match what you have made it in the Conditional Formatting by doing the standard highlight the cell and use the fill tool. These will not change colours by themselves so you do need to change them individually.

I will try to keep this updated with new genes/species/eye types come out but I cannot guarantee how quickly I will update it.
If you find any mistakes (gene's in the wrong category, coding error, etc) feel free to mention them and I'll do my best to fix them. I'm not an expert in coding, I essentially only know how to frankencode so if it looks awful to someone who actually understands this stuff... Sorry ^-^'
Honestly if this helps even one person that'll make me happy so thank you for bothering to look <3
Update:
Added:
Dusthide Genes
Eye Type Rarity
Breed Changes
Notes Section
Update:
Added:
Dusthide Genes
Eye Type Rarity
Breed Changes
Notes Section