Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Help me choose flight (for lore)??
1 2
Hello peoples!! Been on hiatus for a while, just thinking of coming back to start a lore project...

I'd like some opinions on which flight you think it would be coolest or most fitting to base it in!

Basic concept is that my clan lives in a secluded valley accessible only from a single point. The valley has some Magical Shenanigans going on that make it have a different biome and climate to its surroundings: it's perfectly lush and very habitable, crops grow well there, and it doesn't experience dramatic seasonal changes in temperature. Instead it seems to just cycle between spring and autumn.

My old lore had this location in Plague, but I'm not vibing with the gore and bones aesthetic for my lair banners and stuff anymore so mostly would like to move elsewhere.

I'd like the territory to be one of the more inhospitable-to-life ones, so passing over Light, Shadow and Nature for now. Also not keen on Arcane because I feel like Arcane's so weird that you'd find some valley with it's own ecosystem and climate but it wouldn't even be the second weirdest thing you'd seen today, so it wouldn't feel very special or memorable sadkjhdsjka,,

Mainly considering Ice and Earth!!

But would love to hear thoughts on other options if anyone has 'em.

My only focus here is what would make the best lore setting. FR's community is chill no matter what flight you're in. :P And I don't really breed dragons except for fodder, so eye colour isn't an issue.
Hello peoples!! Been on hiatus for a while, just thinking of coming back to start a lore project...

I'd like some opinions on which flight you think it would be coolest or most fitting to base it in!

Basic concept is that my clan lives in a secluded valley accessible only from a single point. The valley has some Magical Shenanigans going on that make it have a different biome and climate to its surroundings: it's perfectly lush and very habitable, crops grow well there, and it doesn't experience dramatic seasonal changes in temperature. Instead it seems to just cycle between spring and autumn.

My old lore had this location in Plague, but I'm not vibing with the gore and bones aesthetic for my lair banners and stuff anymore so mostly would like to move elsewhere.

I'd like the territory to be one of the more inhospitable-to-life ones, so passing over Light, Shadow and Nature for now. Also not keen on Arcane because I feel like Arcane's so weird that you'd find some valley with it's own ecosystem and climate but it wouldn't even be the second weirdest thing you'd seen today, so it wouldn't feel very special or memorable sadkjhdsjka,,

Mainly considering Ice and Earth!!

But would love to hear thoughts on other options if anyone has 'em.

My only focus here is what would make the best lore setting. FR's community is chill no matter what flight you're in. :P And I don't really breed dragons except for fodder, so eye colour isn't an issue.
I'm biased towards Earth but Ice would be interesting as well in terms of "secret hidden lush valley." I suppose it just depends on what you want "the outside" to be like. Hot or cold?
I picked Earth because I liked reading Dune but you may prefer differently.
I'm biased towards Earth but Ice would be interesting as well in terms of "secret hidden lush valley." I suppose it just depends on what you want "the outside" to be like. Hot or cold?
I picked Earth because I liked reading Dune but you may prefer differently.
517049zmdkjrcqj5.gif
We chillin'
Biased here, but Fire could also be fun as well! Nothing says inhospitable like lava everywhere and an active civil war.

However, do agree that Earth is a good choice, esp with all the crypts and caves and whatnot.
Biased here, but Fire could also be fun as well! Nothing says inhospitable like lava everywhere and an active civil war.

However, do agree that Earth is a good choice, esp with all the crypts and caves and whatnot.
5511.png tumblr_inline_n6kdvu56Os1qlye38.gif6073.png
Lightning would be interesting due to it mostly being a desert. With a lush patch in the middle of the desert, it would seem odd. Unless you count oases.
Lightning would be interesting due to it mostly being a desert. With a lush patch in the middle of the desert, it would seem odd. Unless you count oases.
Art Shop
I feel like ice would be better if you want a large contrast between the rest of the flight’s territory vs your clan’s.

Whereas with earth you’d run into a similar problem as arcane. As while earth is generally very like rocky and such, it still wouldn’t be That weird to come across a dense area of forest. Kinda like an oasis in a desert.

Which could also kinda work actually. So I guess it depends if you want a high contrast “there is no natural way for this to be here” or an oasis kind of deal
I feel like ice would be better if you want a large contrast between the rest of the flight’s territory vs your clan’s.

Whereas with earth you’d run into a similar problem as arcane. As while earth is generally very like rocky and such, it still wouldn’t be That weird to come across a dense area of forest. Kinda like an oasis in a desert.

Which could also kinda work actually. So I guess it depends if you want a high contrast “there is no natural way for this to be here” or an oasis kind of deal
Q7oWmMw.png dvMS65X.pnguAFkb59.pngjaogUTu.pngTkQY47D.pngWVbICeQ.pngiwOM9O6.pngGoVqS9e.png7elPyMO.pngi8eD0Ym.png
i'm earth flight so i'm (def) maybe a little biased, but def go earth, probably along the border of arcane territory if magical shenanigans are happening. i can perfectly envision an arcane mutated valley within earth that's super lush compared to everywhere else. that area also borders on the ocean so there's a semi-plausible real world geography explanation too. (ofc that's just my brain working with the idea, it's totally up to you where you base if you move here!)

I also switched to earth from nature for lore reasons and it's great lmao.
i'm earth flight so i'm (def) maybe a little biased, but def go earth, probably along the border of arcane territory if magical shenanigans are happening. i can perfectly envision an arcane mutated valley within earth that's super lush compared to everywhere else. that area also borders on the ocean so there's a semi-plausible real world geography explanation too. (ofc that's just my brain working with the idea, it's totally up to you where you base if you move here!)

I also switched to earth from nature for lore reasons and it's great lmao.
23883.png | Misty, Logan
| He, They, She

button18.pngbutton-Nature-Born.png
buttonA.pngbuttonearthclan.png
YMPbu9R.png
Feel free to ping me!
Open to random friend requests and messages (just be polite, ya know?).
I'm subscribed to any threads I make.
=====
I'm biased towards Ice because I like the eyes :D

That said, I feel like a lush valley of any sort in Ice feels inherently rarer than it would be in Earth, just because of the extreme climate. I don't think you'd even have to reach too hard to explain it - maybe say your clan is situated on top of a geothermal heat source and a barrier above the valley keeps the heat contained, which allows plants to thrive there.
I'm biased towards Ice because I like the eyes :D

That said, I feel like a lush valley of any sort in Ice feels inherently rarer than it would be in Earth, just because of the extreme climate. I don't think you'd even have to reach too hard to explain it - maybe say your clan is situated on top of a geothermal heat source and a barrier above the valley keeps the heat contained, which allows plants to thrive there.
SFixrnH.pngIeBhKII.png Tf2WhDq.pngnJ9aapY.png
Thanks for the thoughts and onions, everyone!! I think I'm leaning towards Ice rn.. I want my lair location to feel really out of place, and I already have a lore reason in mind for the way it is (pocket dimension created by eldritch nature deities disguised as coatls asdjkhjsak !!)... so preferred vibe is "so unnatural it's actually uncanny despite its beauty." I think Ice would capture that well, probably better than Earth since, like some of you mentioned, Earth probably has oases and stuff that'd make it seem Less Weird! Fire is a cool idea too though... [emoji=normal eyes size=1][emoji=normal eyes size=1] asdhasdjkh I have until my nests hatch to figure this out though so will definitely Ponder further
Thanks for the thoughts and onions, everyone!!

I think I'm leaning towards Ice rn.. I want my lair location to feel really out of place, and I already have a lore reason in mind for the way it is (pocket dimension created by eldritch nature deities disguised as coatls asdjkhjsak !!)... so preferred vibe is "so unnatural it's actually uncanny despite its beauty." I think Ice would capture that well, probably better than Earth since, like some of you mentioned, Earth probably has oases and stuff that'd make it seem Less Weird!

Fire is a cool idea too though...

asdhasdjkh I have until my nests hatch to figure this out though so will definitely Ponder further
Icicle here!

My in-head lore is that my clan live in a huge cavern/crystal cave system, that also contains some sense of magic (think underground leylines), and therefore the place is far more hospitable than the rest of Ice territory due to it being inherently magical, but also underground like an igloo effect.

So I'd agree that Ice can work for that if that's what you're leaning towards :3c

Plus, I find it amusing that Icedad's whole bag is the prison where he keeps eldritch beasties, having a pocket dimension created by them right in his territory is funny :P
Icicle here!

My in-head lore is that my clan live in a huge cavern/crystal cave system, that also contains some sense of magic (think underground leylines), and therefore the place is far more hospitable than the rest of Ice territory due to it being inherently magical, but also underground like an igloo effect.

So I'd agree that Ice can work for that if that's what you're leaning towards :3c

Plus, I find it amusing that Icedad's whole bag is the prison where he keeps eldritch beasties, having a pocket dimension created by them right in his territory is funny :P
972ee6408be03363898b64bb29e640034b1310b4.png7667dd2c536ecd719b369737ff16de5f7adb05d1.pnge6cfb360af67b7bc3881ae209414f2ca128d5b19.png
Hmmm, thinking thoughts........

Ice isn't an unusual area for lush plant-life - there's plenty of real life heavily snowy environments that are heavily forested and hospitable. It's going to look slightly different than maybe what you immediately think of, it'd be a lot of big evergreen trees and hardier crops like root vegetables, so you could still run with like.... a rainforest in the middle of Ice territory...... but in my head, it simply isn't as magical because Ice definitely has these liveable areas by default!

Earth is a somewhat better candidate, it is indeed pretty inhospitable and desolate out there. Harsh conditions. Plus, this big secret valley full of life in a super desolate place full of mostly bones and ancient ruins makes me think of that like trope where they find a big lush tropical valley full of dinosaurs hidden away somewhere no one goes because it's so inhospitable otherwise...... and that is a fun trope. I ljke it. Earth always makes me think of the Wild West and cowboys too, so it could be fun to have a big secret ranch up there. Yeehaw.

Lightning is also a good candidate imo!! It's a desert, where else would one put an oasis? You could structure the lore like.... there's a big magical cloud barrier surrounding the valley due to heightened levels of Lightning magic in the region that protects it from the harsh storms and heat of the Shifting Expanse, allowing for lush tropical plant-life to prosper and grow, as well as keeping the area a secret as few are able to navigate the storm surrounding them. Dragons only venture out rarely to barter for materials from the industrious Lightning dragons. A lot of the dragons around there are known for digging and tunnelling too, you can have big cave systems for the dragons to live in built into the sides of the valley--
I just think Lightning has a lot of potential.
Hmmm, thinking thoughts........

Ice isn't an unusual area for lush plant-life - there's plenty of real life heavily snowy environments that are heavily forested and hospitable. It's going to look slightly different than maybe what you immediately think of, it'd be a lot of big evergreen trees and hardier crops like root vegetables, so you could still run with like.... a rainforest in the middle of Ice territory...... but in my head, it simply isn't as magical because Ice definitely has these liveable areas by default!

Earth is a somewhat better candidate, it is indeed pretty inhospitable and desolate out there. Harsh conditions. Plus, this big secret valley full of life in a super desolate place full of mostly bones and ancient ruins makes me think of that like trope where they find a big lush tropical valley full of dinosaurs hidden away somewhere no one goes because it's so inhospitable otherwise...... and that is a fun trope. I ljke it. Earth always makes me think of the Wild West and cowboys too, so it could be fun to have a big secret ranch up there. Yeehaw.

Lightning is also a good candidate imo!! It's a desert, where else would one put an oasis? You could structure the lore like.... there's a big magical cloud barrier surrounding the valley due to heightened levels of Lightning magic in the region that protects it from the harsh storms and heat of the Shifting Expanse, allowing for lush tropical plant-life to prosper and grow, as well as keeping the area a secret as few are able to navigate the storm surrounding them. Dragons only venture out rarely to barter for materials from the industrious Lightning dragons. A lot of the dragons around there are known for digging and tunnelling too, you can have big cave systems for the dragons to live in built into the sides of the valley--
I just think Lightning has a lot of potential.
Book of Eldritch Horror
-Recall/Lucius/Michael
-He/They, +8 FR Time
-Lore and Fandragon enthusiast, love to talk!
-Wishlist! / Skin Idea Generator
Lurching Tome
1 2