Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Old Becomes New [FR Puzzle S2 #3]
1 2
[center][b][size=6]Click on the dragon to begin![/size][/b] [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/61365748][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/613658/61365748_350.png[/img][/url] If the puzzle remains unsolved after some time, I will add hints until it's solved. [b]The first to post the correct answer in this thread will receive 100 gems.[/b] [b]Claimed by: pahein with help from Winter0sun, Enekokoro, spiritrose, XxWolfPackxX, Dragonwyspr, ST6X, Jeff139, Scaleon1, and BrilliantSky[/b] [size=5][b]Rules:[/b][/size] [left][LIST] [*]Answers must be posted in this thread. [*]Only unedited answers are eligible for the reward. [*]You may discuss the puzzle in this thread. [*]You may use any tools that may help with solving the puzzle. [*]You may ask for clarification, though I only give hints at most once a day. [/LIST][/left] Pinglist for future FR Puzzles: [pinglist once here] [b]The above pinglist will no longer be used. Please use the pinglist below to stay notified for future puzzles.[/b] [pinglist=1898]
Click on the dragon to begin!

61365748_350.png

If the puzzle remains unsolved after some time, I will add hints until it's solved.
The first to post the correct answer in this thread will receive 100 gems.

Claimed by: pahein
with help from Winter0sun, Enekokoro, spiritrose, XxWolfPackxX, Dragonwyspr, ST6X, Jeff139, Scaleon1, and BrilliantSky

Rules:
  • Answers must be posted in this thread.
  • Only unedited answers are eligible for the reward.
  • You may discuss the puzzle in this thread.
  • You may use any tools that may help with solving the puzzle.
  • You may ask for clarification, though I only give hints at most once a day.

Pinglist for future FR Puzzles:
[pinglist once here]

The above pinglist will no longer be used.
Please use the pinglist below to stay notified for future puzzles.

Ooooh, exciting! [emoji=special eyes size=1]
Ooooh, exciting!
IMG-2092small.png_
Will the dragon be exhalted again?
NKdcDcw.png Ca6EHIb.pngbVV6yhw.png
sh5xjiu.pngwb9jSqb.png
wTVVdiJ.png7Zid8hE.png
7DcAca6.pngtqGkHih.png
oaolHwW.pngYMPbu9R.png
[quote name="@XxWolfPackxX" date="2023-11-14 22:24:29" ] Will the dragon be exhalted again? [/quote] It was in the hibernal den for about 3.5 years. Now that it's part of FR Puzzles S2, it will remain active with all the other FR Puzzles.
@XxWolfPackxX wrote on 2023-11-14 22:24:29:
It was in the hibernal den for about 3.5 years. Now that it's part of FR Puzzles S2, it will remain active with all the other FR Puzzles.
[quote name="Stormstar" date="2023-11-14 22:28:56" ] [quote name="@XxWolfPackxX" date="2023-11-14 22:24:29" ] Will the dragon be exhalted again? [/quote] It was in the hibernal den for about 3.5 years. Now that it's part of FR Puzzles S2, it will remain active with all the other FR Puzzles. [/quote] I think I might have made a mistake, will the answer* dragon be exhalted again, not the dragon the puzzle is on
Stormstar wrote on 2023-11-14 22:28:56:
@XxWolfPackxX wrote on 2023-11-14 22:24:29:
It was in the hibernal den for about 3.5 years. Now that it's part of FR Puzzles S2, it will remain active with all the other FR Puzzles.

I think I might have made a mistake, will the answer* dragon be exhalted again, not the dragon the puzzle is on
NKdcDcw.png Ca6EHIb.pngbVV6yhw.png
sh5xjiu.pngwb9jSqb.png
wTVVdiJ.png7Zid8hE.png
7DcAca6.pngtqGkHih.png
oaolHwW.pngYMPbu9R.png
@xxwolfpackxx
Yes, all answer dragons for the FR Puzzles will be exalted. This is to make sure they aren't modified in the future, which could make the puzzles unsolvable.
@xxwolfpackxx
Yes, all answer dragons for the FR Puzzles will be exalted. This is to make sure they aren't modified in the future, which could make the puzzles unsolvable.
Hrm. The sequence of red and yellow squares is supposed to represent a numeric ID, eh? Could be binary, in that case. People think binary only goes up to 8 numbers, but that's only for computer code stuffs, it can go as many as it needs to.

Also, I notice the colors beside the word search are also the answers to the word search. Clever.
Hrm. The sequence of red and yellow squares is supposed to represent a numeric ID, eh? Could be binary, in that case. People think binary only goes up to 8 numbers, but that's only for computer code stuffs, it can go as many as it needs to.

Also, I notice the colors beside the word search are also the answers to the word search. Clever.
Vj0BLbc.png
PDuDspB.pngmNwQLuY.pngLCqISMP.pngtDLyYLQ.pngbYt72YT.pngtqGkHih.png6SzXygx.pngsVTGNzb.pngwh3Tiip.pngLhssI0m.pngkcbWnDp.pngbIcdn3S.png
Arcane discord was delighted yet again by your puzzle! We’d like to submit the answer of Simon! dragon id 22433026. (I don't know how Winter0sun got the link to work while not breaking the spoiler tag, haha, and Winter's off to sleep.)

I’m gonna list people out as I reread the channel here, and then summarize our journey below.

In order of appearance in the arcane discord about this: me (@pahein), @Winter0sun, @Enekokoro, @spiritrose, @XxWolfPackxX, @Dragonwyspr, @ST6X, @Jeff139, @Scaleon1, & @BrilliantSky. Thank you all for participating!

Our journey, summarized:
To start off, me, Enekokoro, Winter0sun, and spiritrose were focused on the bottom half of the puzzle; the wordfind and the red/yellow line. We could find some colors in the wordfind. Winter immediately went to checking the hex codes of the colors against the colorbox grid. I was working on the wordfind, Ene was trying to check if the red/yellow line was binary of some kind, Spiritrose was helping with both the wordfind and attempting to decode the red/yellow binary.

Once we figured out the colors and where they were in the wordfind, (and foudn a few other words in the wordfind as well), we tried seeing if the colors would fit into the crossword puzzle, but the amount of letters was wrong. At some point I wondered if there were intermediary dragons in the puzzle; since there were 5 sets of 3 colors each, and we'd found the word "eel" in the wordfind and maybe there were other genes in the wordfind too? This kinda sent us down a rabbithole searching for dragons with those colors, but nothing was looking super promising.

XxWolfPackxX came into our ranks then, cheering us on, as I went to see if I could make a spreadsheet to order FR genes by lettercount. Spiritrose and Ene kokoro were looking for dragons and not getting super far. Winter started plugging in gene names into the crossword, and that also wasn't leading anywhere promising. Enekokoro then counted out the spaces on the red/yellow line and labelled them. (This was super helpful later!) Ene also posted some dragons with IDs based on the groupings of the red and yellow here, just in case they came up later.

About now was when XxWolfPackxX asked the question about the dragon being exalted, and we were a bit confused about your intial answer, since the last puzzle had an exalted answer. With some sleuthing we figured out you probably meant the puzzle dragon would be in your lair, and XxWolfPackxX clarified with you.

Winter had the idea that the yellow squares were the crossword squares, and the red ones may relate to the rest of the puzzle/the wordsearch. I started labelling our crossword with numbers according to a traditional crossword numbering system, which really helped later bc talking about all the spaces was hard without labels, haha.

We re-read your intro text, and found out we'd missed the part where "there is no color in the small grid." This gave Winter the idea to black out all the wordsearch letters that were part of color names-- and we were left with 15 letters, which seemed too perfect to be a coincidence! Plus, writing them out all in a row seemed to spell parts of numbers. We assigned those letters to red spaces. Some conference was had putting together the possible numbers that could be a part of the yellow, and at this point from "x W O x x x x x U x x x R E E T x x E x Z x R O T x x SIX" we assumed that it was going to be "TWO xxx FOUR THREE THREE ZERO Txx SIX", and filled in the corresponding yellow numbered spaces on the crossword.

Since with this, genes weren't working, Dragonwyspr suggested some colors might work. I agreed-- genes didn't seem to be the answer, but perhaps some other FR related term would work, so I added all the dragon terms I could easily add to our letter-counting spreadsheet. In the process, I realized Fae would work for the 3 across spot-- and right after realized that 22 dragon breeds could correspond to 22 crossword spaces.

At that point we were off to the races! Dragonwyspr, Jeff139, XxWolfPackxX and I filled in spots, building off each other. Scaleon1 and Brilliantsky joined, taking some time to backread the progess already made. (My poor handwriting/too-many-notes on the image I was using to track our progess gave rise to the team name "bearlcatchers of the arcanecord", haha.)

Then, as we reached the end of the sprint, we realized nothing could quite fit in the down from yellow14-yellow3. It would make sense for the cipher if it was Wildclaw, giving us our final "two"s, so we put in the number that would have resulted in that and got Simon. That felt right-- messing around with the crossword wasn't giving us a different configuration, but also wrong, because we'd done your last puzzle and thought there was no way it'd just be a plain ole misspelling.

We went back to pondering the instructions. "Just make sure every dragon can be described with something in the big grid" seemed so vague, if it was just the breeds of dragon. But most of them were just the breeds, it seemed-- it worked so well, in every spot except for the one!

BrilliantSky pointed out that sometimes crosswords do rebuses, which I don't think the rest of us had heard of before. (Multiple letters in a single space.) In hearing that, I tried writing "Wildclaw" on the letters we already had-- and then it hit me! WiELdclaw! A wildclaw weilds claws!

Well, I don't know if it's 100% right, but that seemed intentional enough to cinch it for me, and now I've spent the past hour writing this up, haha.

Thank you for the puzzle!

And, uh, if we got it right, I s'pose I can take the gems this time? Last time was Draco918 for showing us the puzzle first and working on it, and I guess I was the first one working on this one in arccord this time.
Arcane discord was delighted yet again by your puzzle! We’d like to submit the answer of Simon! dragon id 22433026. (I don't know how Winter0sun got the link to work while not breaking the spoiler tag, haha, and Winter's off to sleep.)

I’m gonna list people out as I reread the channel here, and then summarize our journey below.

In order of appearance in the arcane discord about this: me (@pahein), @Winter0sun, @Enekokoro, @spiritrose, @XxWolfPackxX, @Dragonwyspr, @ST6X, @Jeff139, @Scaleon1, & @BrilliantSky. Thank you all for participating!

Our journey, summarized:
To start off, me, Enekokoro, Winter0sun, and spiritrose were focused on the bottom half of the puzzle; the wordfind and the red/yellow line. We could find some colors in the wordfind. Winter immediately went to checking the hex codes of the colors against the colorbox grid. I was working on the wordfind, Ene was trying to check if the red/yellow line was binary of some kind, Spiritrose was helping with both the wordfind and attempting to decode the red/yellow binary.

Once we figured out the colors and where they were in the wordfind, (and foudn a few other words in the wordfind as well), we tried seeing if the colors would fit into the crossword puzzle, but the amount of letters was wrong. At some point I wondered if there were intermediary dragons in the puzzle; since there were 5 sets of 3 colors each, and we'd found the word "eel" in the wordfind and maybe there were other genes in the wordfind too? This kinda sent us down a rabbithole searching for dragons with those colors, but nothing was looking super promising.

XxWolfPackxX came into our ranks then, cheering us on, as I went to see if I could make a spreadsheet to order FR genes by lettercount. Spiritrose and Ene kokoro were looking for dragons and not getting super far. Winter started plugging in gene names into the crossword, and that also wasn't leading anywhere promising. Enekokoro then counted out the spaces on the red/yellow line and labelled them. (This was super helpful later!) Ene also posted some dragons with IDs based on the groupings of the red and yellow here, just in case they came up later.

About now was when XxWolfPackxX asked the question about the dragon being exalted, and we were a bit confused about your intial answer, since the last puzzle had an exalted answer. With some sleuthing we figured out you probably meant the puzzle dragon would be in your lair, and XxWolfPackxX clarified with you.

Winter had the idea that the yellow squares were the crossword squares, and the red ones may relate to the rest of the puzzle/the wordsearch. I started labelling our crossword with numbers according to a traditional crossword numbering system, which really helped later bc talking about all the spaces was hard without labels, haha.

We re-read your intro text, and found out we'd missed the part where "there is no color in the small grid." This gave Winter the idea to black out all the wordsearch letters that were part of color names-- and we were left with 15 letters, which seemed too perfect to be a coincidence! Plus, writing them out all in a row seemed to spell parts of numbers. We assigned those letters to red spaces. Some conference was had putting together the possible numbers that could be a part of the yellow, and at this point from "x W O x x x x x U x x x R E E T x x E x Z x R O T x x SIX" we assumed that it was going to be "TWO xxx FOUR THREE THREE ZERO Txx SIX", and filled in the corresponding yellow numbered spaces on the crossword.

Since with this, genes weren't working, Dragonwyspr suggested some colors might work. I agreed-- genes didn't seem to be the answer, but perhaps some other FR related term would work, so I added all the dragon terms I could easily add to our letter-counting spreadsheet. In the process, I realized Fae would work for the 3 across spot-- and right after realized that 22 dragon breeds could correspond to 22 crossword spaces.

At that point we were off to the races! Dragonwyspr, Jeff139, XxWolfPackxX and I filled in spots, building off each other. Scaleon1 and Brilliantsky joined, taking some time to backread the progess already made. (My poor handwriting/too-many-notes on the image I was using to track our progess gave rise to the team name "bearlcatchers of the arcanecord", haha.)

Then, as we reached the end of the sprint, we realized nothing could quite fit in the down from yellow14-yellow3. It would make sense for the cipher if it was Wildclaw, giving us our final "two"s, so we put in the number that would have resulted in that and got Simon. That felt right-- messing around with the crossword wasn't giving us a different configuration, but also wrong, because we'd done your last puzzle and thought there was no way it'd just be a plain ole misspelling.

We went back to pondering the instructions. "Just make sure every dragon can be described with something in the big grid" seemed so vague, if it was just the breeds of dragon. But most of them were just the breeds, it seemed-- it worked so well, in every spot except for the one!

BrilliantSky pointed out that sometimes crosswords do rebuses, which I don't think the rest of us had heard of before. (Multiple letters in a single space.) In hearing that, I tried writing "Wildclaw" on the letters we already had-- and then it hit me! WiELdclaw! A wildclaw weilds claws!

Well, I don't know if it's 100% right, but that seemed intentional enough to cinch it for me, and now I've spent the past hour writing this up, haha.

Thank you for the puzzle!

And, uh, if we got it right, I s'pose I can take the gems this time? Last time was Draco918 for showing us the puzzle first and working on it, and I guess I was the first one working on this one in arccord this time.
IMG-2092small.png_
Simon? id: 22433026

sorry for deleting so many posts ;v; couldn't get link to work with spoiler
Simon? id: 22433026

sorry for deleting so many posts ;v; couldn't get link to work with spoiler
I, uh, well-- one of the arccord mentioned that the posts couldn't be edited to win. I edited bc the link wasn't working with spoiler and I had completely forgotten about the "no edits" bit... ^^; Ah well!
I, uh, well-- one of the arccord mentioned that the posts couldn't be edited to win. I edited bc the link wasn't working with spoiler and I had completely forgotten about the "no edits" bit... ^^; Ah well!
IMG-2092small.png_
1 2