Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Pieces of FR lore you don't like
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 13
[quote name="MulberryScroll" date="2023-09-13 17:47:40" ] [quote name="Strangeflesh" date="2023-09-13 16:57:52" ] I really dislike gaoler lore, if I followed it I would be force to have to have them as villians and while I do have a few evil ones it would suck if they all evil [/quote] Where in the world does Gaoler lore states they're villains They hunt the Shade and detain shade-created beasts that's kinda it [/quote] I think what Strangeflesh is referring to is the Gaolers in the Fortress of Ends are extremely strict don't seem to tolerate visitors very well, even to the point of capturing them as well. They do have prisoners of their own flight after all...
MulberryScroll wrote on 2023-09-13 17:47:40:
Strangeflesh wrote on 2023-09-13 16:57:52:
I really dislike gaoler lore, if I followed it I would be force to have to have them as villians and while I do have a few evil ones it would suck if they all evil

Where in the world does Gaoler lore states they're villains
They hunt the Shade and detain shade-created beasts that's kinda it
I think what Strangeflesh is referring to is the Gaolers in the Fortress of Ends are extremely strict don't seem to tolerate visitors very well, even to the point of capturing them as well.

They do have prisoners of their own flight after all...
Give a like if you think they're cool--->86520977.png93331792.png84977690.png
i dont use site lore for my dragons but ive never been a fan of gaoler lore. if they were just shade hunters that'd be one thing but the particular way ice lore works the whole prison warden thing it really doesn't do it for me
i dont use site lore for my dragons but ive never been a fan of gaoler lore. if they were just shade hunters that'd be one thing but the particular way ice lore works the whole prison warden thing it really doesn't do it for me
The eyes of Lio Fotia and Galo Thymos from Promare in official art by Hiroyuki Imaishi staring dramatically past the viewer. There is a ball of fire in their colors (blue, pink, and white) between them
i generally like the lore (especially faes lack of facial expressiveness they are just like me fr fr) but i tend to ignore tundras bad memory and run with a modified version of gaoler lore for my lair.
i generally like the lore (especially faes lack of facial expressiveness they are just like me fr fr) but i tend to ignore tundras bad memory and run with a modified version of gaoler lore for my lair.
v5dOiWz.png they/them +0fr time
This might get a bit lost in the mix of other people's posts (and I sort of hope it does...)

I dislike the new Beast Clans lore and how it's trying to be all 'friends and family'/trying to rewrite old lore. From what I could tell, the change was made due to people believing it was a representation of real life events, even though there was nothing clear enough to suggest it being such...

I think it's better to show that some sides/factions/etc can be evil, or bad, without purposefully or intentionally being so. Those things shouldn't just be erased from existence. They can be rectified in other ways.

On a small note about something I do like however: I actually like the dragon 'stereotypes'. I like how each element has a sort of stereotype, and how each dragon breed also have their own thing that is sort of seen as a noticeable trait. (Mind you, I do not view these stereotypes as 'all dragons of X breed and X element MUST have this defining trait.')
This might get a bit lost in the mix of other people's posts (and I sort of hope it does...)

I dislike the new Beast Clans lore and how it's trying to be all 'friends and family'/trying to rewrite old lore. From what I could tell, the change was made due to people believing it was a representation of real life events, even though there was nothing clear enough to suggest it being such...

I think it's better to show that some sides/factions/etc can be evil, or bad, without purposefully or intentionally being so. Those things shouldn't just be erased from existence. They can be rectified in other ways.

On a small note about something I do like however: I actually like the dragon 'stereotypes'. I like how each element has a sort of stereotype, and how each dragon breed also have their own thing that is sort of seen as a noticeable trait. (Mind you, I do not view these stereotypes as 'all dragons of X breed and X element MUST have this defining trait.')
For me it's the dragon sizes. I have lore that has a bunch of dragons in a pirate ship, and if I follow their actual sizes on the site the ship is going to sink as soon as my imperial and ridgeback step on it lol

Also Spirals are soo tiny
For me it's the dragon sizes. I have lore that has a bunch of dragons in a pirate ship, and if I follow their actual sizes on the site the ship is going to sink as soon as my imperial and ridgeback step on it lol

Also Spirals are soo tiny
dG8tEgo.pngyC4mUOA.pngYAwKXsX.png
[quote name="Draco981" date="2023-09-13 17:30:15" ] [quote name="@MissAri" date="2023-09-13 16:37:43" ] [columns][item=kelp sickle][nextcol][size=4]The blades of kelp sickles are carved from enormous shells found in the Leviathan Trench. They are incredibly sharp and do not have that pesky habit of rusting the second they touch saltwater.[/columns] So is the Leviathan Trench surrounded by saltwater? Or is it just that Maren weaponry was made there, but the Kelp Beds venue itself is located outside Water territory? [/quote] I see two ways to look at this 1)Salinity changes with depth, as the Leviathan Trench is incredibly deep, salinity likely changes when you bring it through different depths, so perhaps some materials are more sensitive. 2)Less likely but still plausible, taking the sickle from the Sea of a Thousand Currents to bodies of saltwater. Also, something else I realized as I wrote this: As much as we might want them to, the staff probably can't remember every piece of lore and description they've said or written, and thus can't really be expected to know and understand how every item tooltip will be able to interact with every other piece of description they've given us. [/quote] I think the freshwater sea is silly. Maybe if the coliseum venues showed up on the World Map it would clear up a lot of confusion? And I kind of expect the lore and description writers to have notes or something on what they have written - it's their job. It's not a good thing if users can point out inconsistencies and keep track of lore better than the staff themselves. Especially if the writers are starting to retcon things - then it's even more important to keep track of your lore!
Draco981 wrote on 2023-09-13 17:30:15:
@MissAri wrote on 2023-09-13 16:37:43:
Kelp Sickle The blades of kelp sickles are carved from enormous shells found in the Leviathan Trench. They are incredibly sharp and do not have that pesky habit of rusting the second they touch saltwater.

So is the Leviathan Trench surrounded by saltwater? Or is it just that Maren weaponry was made there, but the Kelp Beds venue itself is located outside Water territory?
I see two ways to look at this
1)Salinity changes with depth, as the Leviathan Trench is incredibly deep, salinity likely changes when you bring it through different depths, so perhaps some materials are more sensitive.
2)Less likely but still plausible, taking the sickle from the Sea of a Thousand Currents to bodies of saltwater.

Also, something else I realized as I wrote this: As much as we might want them to, the staff probably can't remember every piece of lore and description they've said or written, and thus can't really be expected to know and understand how every item tooltip will be able to interact with every other piece of description they've given us.

I think the freshwater sea is silly. Maybe if the coliseum venues showed up on the World Map it would clear up a lot of confusion?

And I kind of expect the lore and description writers to have notes or something on what they have written - it's their job. It's not a good thing if users can point out inconsistencies and keep track of lore better than the staff themselves. Especially if the writers are starting to retcon things - then it's even more important to keep track of your lore!
O0xgpAG.png
DEFINITELY definitely dragon sizes in general. while i think it's cool to have some variation between average size trends based on breeds, the level of difference is MUCH too drastic imo, especially when you try to imagine different breeds all coexisting in the same space.......

or. y'know. breeding. one of the major aspects of the site, and it gets SUPER weird really fast when you take dragon sizes into account :'D

there's also a lot of little aspects re: breed "predispositions" that i feel could have been handled...... better. but i also think the lore we have is generally stuff that's been around for a long time, so i understand it might not fit staff's current vision. does make me sad seeing tundras' lore basically calling them dumb though, especially as someone who doesn't have the best memory themselves sometimes </3

i'd love to see a modern re-tooling of dragon lore in general honestly!! though i might more or less pretend i don't see the extremes of dragon breed sizes ppfpfff (also i'm SO glad to see i'm far from the only one who thought veilspun were much, MUCH larger!!)
DEFINITELY definitely dragon sizes in general. while i think it's cool to have some variation between average size trends based on breeds, the level of difference is MUCH too drastic imo, especially when you try to imagine different breeds all coexisting in the same space.......

or. y'know. breeding. one of the major aspects of the site, and it gets SUPER weird really fast when you take dragon sizes into account :'D

there's also a lot of little aspects re: breed "predispositions" that i feel could have been handled...... better. but i also think the lore we have is generally stuff that's been around for a long time, so i understand it might not fit staff's current vision. does make me sad seeing tundras' lore basically calling them dumb though, especially as someone who doesn't have the best memory themselves sometimes </3

i'd love to see a modern re-tooling of dragon lore in general honestly!! though i might more or less pretend i don't see the extremes of dragon breed sizes ppfpfff (also i'm SO glad to see i'm far from the only one who thought veilspun were much, MUCH larger!!)
9UH8qm7.png ___25,
they/them,
space alien

___
_._
_ fLdYOuE.png
HxL61bT.png
_ tyEuRXe.png
ar6gtVv.png
_ w9bDUNq.png
oNrZjs5.png

_ aLfu5UL.png _ FObX7rS.png _ IEAdiPZ.png
_ Qf7biHq.png
The extremes in breed scaling, and how almost none of the lore reflects its impact on dragon society and architecture.

Speaking of dragon society and architecture: Another trend I don't like is that the ever-growing lore in the form of items and apparel consists of straight-up Human stuff fitting awkwardly on dragon anatomy. There's this massive disconnect between our main characters being dragons on an alien planet... and the worldbuilding being absolutely saturated with design and function that fit or cater to Humans specifically.
Faes live in cured sap hives? Nope! They have a Quaint Parlour with their pet corgi.
The extremes in breed scaling, and how almost none of the lore reflects its impact on dragon society and architecture.

Speaking of dragon society and architecture: Another trend I don't like is that the ever-growing lore in the form of items and apparel consists of straight-up Human stuff fitting awkwardly on dragon anatomy. There's this massive disconnect between our main characters being dragons on an alien planet... and the worldbuilding being absolutely saturated with design and function that fit or cater to Humans specifically.
Faes live in cured sap hives? Nope! They have a Quaint Parlour with their pet corgi.
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
pretty much All of it
but I actually do keep the eye color lore where they have the eyes as the flight they're born in
pretty much All of it
but I actually do keep the eye color lore where they have the eyes as the flight they're born in
42779-183994797.jpg
1234567890puppyyyyy
dragon sizes, dont like that they vary so much from each other

I just size up the teenies and size down the big ones so they are all similar enough sizes
dragon sizes, dont like that they vary so much from each other

I just size up the teenies and size down the big ones so they are all similar enough sizes
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
Hey
1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12 13