Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | I WANT TO LISTEN TO MORE PUNK MUSIC HALP
1 2 3
@pest

o-o happy?? I wouldnt call the guns of brixton "happy".
I wouldnt count the sub-genres as... sub genres...
There was a whole entire post-punk movement that involved the invention of
industrial, gothrock, newwave, shoegaze, screamo, emo, alternative, death rock, no wave, EBM, etc etc etc..

punk started in the 70's and even early 60's..
there's just so much of it, and many people label things punk when it's not punk at all.
What defines punk is taking direct inspiration from the original founders. not inspiration from their followers.

(yeah.. oi punk.. kinda like what happened to nitzer ebb industrial.)
@pest

o-o happy?? I wouldnt call the guns of brixton "happy".
I wouldnt count the sub-genres as... sub genres...
There was a whole entire post-punk movement that involved the invention of
industrial, gothrock, newwave, shoegaze, screamo, emo, alternative, death rock, no wave, EBM, etc etc etc..

punk started in the 70's and even early 60's..
there's just so much of it, and many people label things punk when it's not punk at all.
What defines punk is taking direct inspiration from the original founders. not inspiration from their followers.

(yeah.. oi punk.. kinda like what happened to nitzer ebb industrial.)
maekbabby.pngskinz.pngartbutton.giftumblrbutton.jpgdimensionriders2.png
@Zrcalo well okay happy wasn't maybe the right word x) but it's music it's easy to sing along to, even if the texts maybe aren't... uh... very nice. but the music is p upbeat and nice i think, haha

mm, you're right:p and i know, about the labels, it's kinda hard to differ sometimes? i ended up in a very heated discussion when i said fall out boy aren't punk...... but idk, i think also it's kind of personal you know? like, i'm from sweden where we're very passionated about punk in general, but all our biggest bands are very upbeat in the music, kinda pop, except the texts are super political, you know? but one's pretty safe to say like, sex pistols are punk, haha
i think it's very cool how punk music have come to be such an ispiration to other music, and even the fashion industy
@Zrcalo well okay happy wasn't maybe the right word x) but it's music it's easy to sing along to, even if the texts maybe aren't... uh... very nice. but the music is p upbeat and nice i think, haha

mm, you're right:p and i know, about the labels, it's kinda hard to differ sometimes? i ended up in a very heated discussion when i said fall out boy aren't punk...... but idk, i think also it's kind of personal you know? like, i'm from sweden where we're very passionated about punk in general, but all our biggest bands are very upbeat in the music, kinda pop, except the texts are super political, you know? but one's pretty safe to say like, sex pistols are punk, haha
i think it's very cool how punk music have come to be such an ispiration to other music, and even the fashion industy
keep on living
I really like Celtic punk and ska punk! I'd recommend Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

I have weird tastes in music (it's all over the board...) so that's really the only punk I really listen to, hope you can find something you like from those bands!
I really like Celtic punk and ska punk! I'd recommend Dropkick Murphys, Flogging Molly, Reel Big Fish, Streetlight Manifesto, and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

I have weird tastes in music (it's all over the board...) so that's really the only punk I really listen to, hope you can find something you like from those bands!
Kai
He/him/his
FRT+3

tumblr_nity0dJX6D1tc28p3o7_100.png tumblr_inline_peunv8JYoB1royocv_500.png tumblr_nity0dJX6D1tc28p3o4_100.png

Clan Breezewings
@Pest [quote]i think it's very cool how punk music have come to be such an ispiration to other music, and even the fashion industy [/quote] Isn't that... totally anti-punk though D:
@Pest
Quote:
Isn't that... totally anti-punk though D:
[quote name="Sandwich" date="2014-07-28 00:00:49"]@Pest [quote]i think it's very cool how punk music have come to be such an ispiration to other music, and even the fashion industy [/quote] Isn't that... totally anti-punk though D:[/quote] @sandwich not really anti-punk. More like anti-hipster. anti-punk would be the mainstream monetization and dilution of punk as a musical movement against oppression.
Sandwich wrote on 2014-07-28 00:00:49:
@Pest
Quote:
Isn't that... totally anti-punk though D:

@sandwich
not really anti-punk.
More like anti-hipster.

anti-punk would be the mainstream monetization and dilution of punk as a musical movement against oppression.
@Zrcalo:

Hi, I'm more of the modern punk person, though there's really only like three bands, ugh. If you really want a band that even has the political ideology behind it, check out Rise Against. They're a modern punk rock (and like the good punk rock, not the lame kind that is just a mock of actual punk rock) that is actually anit-violence, anti-homophobia, anti-animal cruelty, vegetarians, LGBT+ friendly and supportive, pro-peace, eco-friendly. Probably a good warning is that with some of the older albums is that the lead singer, Tim McIlrath, tends to scream the chorus or really good lines. Here's a list of the albums (from oldest to youngest):
1. The Unraveling
2.Revolutions Per Minute
3.Siren Song of the Counter Culture
4.The Sufferer and the Witness
5.Appeal to Reason
6.Endgame
7.The Black Market (which come out earlier this month)

Another band that has punk mixed into it (with some political motives too) is Linkin Park. They tend to just mash genres together to just have really awesome sounding music. The more punk albums are Hybrid Theory and The Hunting Party. All their albums have punk mixed in, but those two have the most in it.

Now, if you want a band that sounds punk but don't really care for the political motives behind it, Breaking Benjamin is for that. They scream and have the rhythms that punk has, but doesn't really have any political motives behind them. Note that Breaking Benjamin can also be considered metal.

There's also Bikini Kill too, and all the other bands that I was going to say were already said by other people.

@Pest:

My parents actually listen to a lot of industrial if you want me to find some bands for you. I know of Wumpscut right off the bat, and my parents prefer his older albums over his newer ones. I think there's also Velvet Acid Christ too.

Sorry Flight Rising if anything isn't really teenagery, I tried to keep safe and stuff for younger people.
@Zrcalo:

Hi, I'm more of the modern punk person, though there's really only like three bands, ugh. If you really want a band that even has the political ideology behind it, check out Rise Against. They're a modern punk rock (and like the good punk rock, not the lame kind that is just a mock of actual punk rock) that is actually anit-violence, anti-homophobia, anti-animal cruelty, vegetarians, LGBT+ friendly and supportive, pro-peace, eco-friendly. Probably a good warning is that with some of the older albums is that the lead singer, Tim McIlrath, tends to scream the chorus or really good lines. Here's a list of the albums (from oldest to youngest):
1. The Unraveling
2.Revolutions Per Minute
3.Siren Song of the Counter Culture
4.The Sufferer and the Witness
5.Appeal to Reason
6.Endgame
7.The Black Market (which come out earlier this month)

Another band that has punk mixed into it (with some political motives too) is Linkin Park. They tend to just mash genres together to just have really awesome sounding music. The more punk albums are Hybrid Theory and The Hunting Party. All their albums have punk mixed in, but those two have the most in it.

Now, if you want a band that sounds punk but don't really care for the political motives behind it, Breaking Benjamin is for that. They scream and have the rhythms that punk has, but doesn't really have any political motives behind them. Note that Breaking Benjamin can also be considered metal.

There's also Bikini Kill too, and all the other bands that I was going to say were already said by other people.

@Pest:

My parents actually listen to a lot of industrial if you want me to find some bands for you. I know of Wumpscut right off the bat, and my parents prefer his older albums over his newer ones. I think there's also Velvet Acid Christ too.

Sorry Flight Rising if anything isn't really teenagery, I tried to keep safe and stuff for younger people.
tumblr_owpty688oE1rxpq74o2_400.gif Ross/Vagabond
19yrs
They/him
1+ fr time
@LovelessAmpora woah that would actually be really awesome of you! i'm listening to Velvet Acid Christ rn, they're actually really awesome

come to think of! @Zrcalo have you listened to Subhumans? might be to your liking, they're kinda cool
@LovelessAmpora woah that would actually be really awesome of you! i'm listening to Velvet Acid Christ rn, they're actually really awesome

come to think of! @Zrcalo have you listened to Subhumans? might be to your liking, they're kinda cool
keep on living
crass, subhumans, flux of pink indians, electric deads, blitz, the snipers, conflict, discharge, black flag, , the partisans, ch3, buzzcocks, the fits, combat 84, the adicts,the disrupters, zounds, fear, christ on parade, chaos UK, the vibrators, dead wretched, wasted youth, the misfits, pub life, fast death, confuse, 4 skins, fleas and lice, the varukers, omega tribe, english dogs, the aborted, catholic disipline, the germs, MDC, disorder, cocksparrer, the exploited, the opressed, mob 47, DIRT, the dark, anti no where league, the pist, the freeze, gudon, abrasive wheels, G.B.H, red alert, peter and the test tube babies, naked raygun, x-ray specs, devo, riot clone, rubella ballat, the damned, D.I., action pact, agent orange, agnostic front, the buisness, instant *******, the lybians, smart cops, ANS, drongos for europe, systematic death, gauze, the apostles, the astronauts, broken bones, ss kaleirt, dead kennedys, vice squad, cheap sex, the casualties, citizen fish, skarface, chron gen, the gonads, japanther, LSD, the defects, blatz, the cramps, antidote, the ramones, litmus green, caustic christ, Riistetyt, limp wrist, gravy train, Aus rotten, common enemy, reagen youth, the big boys, 45 grave, blitzkid, ballzack,alien sex fiend, infa riot, Uk decay, plasmatics, operation ivy, madness, the specials, againt all authority, fishbone, the system, rudimentary peni, filth, A-political, hagar the womb, poison girls, the briolers, pestpoken, blanks 77, husker du, black ***, steaming wolf penis, neurosis, sssp, teen idles, minor threat, 999, the freeze, lost tribe, funeral parade, crow people, the mob

Oh, and my awesome favorite local punk band: Mooseknuckle
crass, subhumans, flux of pink indians, electric deads, blitz, the snipers, conflict, discharge, black flag, , the partisans, ch3, buzzcocks, the fits, combat 84, the adicts,the disrupters, zounds, fear, christ on parade, chaos UK, the vibrators, dead wretched, wasted youth, the misfits, pub life, fast death, confuse, 4 skins, fleas and lice, the varukers, omega tribe, english dogs, the aborted, catholic disipline, the germs, MDC, disorder, cocksparrer, the exploited, the opressed, mob 47, DIRT, the dark, anti no where league, the pist, the freeze, gudon, abrasive wheels, G.B.H, red alert, peter and the test tube babies, naked raygun, x-ray specs, devo, riot clone, rubella ballat, the damned, D.I., action pact, agent orange, agnostic front, the buisness, instant *******, the lybians, smart cops, ANS, drongos for europe, systematic death, gauze, the apostles, the astronauts, broken bones, ss kaleirt, dead kennedys, vice squad, cheap sex, the casualties, citizen fish, skarface, chron gen, the gonads, japanther, LSD, the defects, blatz, the cramps, antidote, the ramones, litmus green, caustic christ, Riistetyt, limp wrist, gravy train, Aus rotten, common enemy, reagen youth, the big boys, 45 grave, blitzkid, ballzack,alien sex fiend, infa riot, Uk decay, plasmatics, operation ivy, madness, the specials, againt all authority, fishbone, the system, rudimentary peni, filth, A-political, hagar the womb, poison girls, the briolers, pestpoken, blanks 77, husker du, black ***, steaming wolf penis, neurosis, sssp, teen idles, minor threat, 999, the freeze, lost tribe, funeral parade, crow people, the mob

Oh, and my awesome favorite local punk band: Mooseknuckle
@lovelessampora

"is Linkin Park. "

sorry. you just invalidated everything you just said about music.
I dont want to go back to bad jr. high music.
breaking benjamin is also bad jr. high music.

they used to play linkin park in hot topic, until they were met by an angry mob that trashed their store.

Linkin park has really got to be one of the worst bands I've ever heard.

also, everything you just mentioned is 100% teenagery. I think teenagers are the only people that listen to those bands imo. I remember I did. And I really regretted it.

I dont think I have their tapes anymore. I probably threw them away.

@monster666

YES. YES. YES. I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO POST SOMETHING LIKE THIS. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
@lovelessampora

"is Linkin Park. "

sorry. you just invalidated everything you just said about music.
I dont want to go back to bad jr. high music.
breaking benjamin is also bad jr. high music.

they used to play linkin park in hot topic, until they were met by an angry mob that trashed their store.

Linkin park has really got to be one of the worst bands I've ever heard.

also, everything you just mentioned is 100% teenagery. I think teenagers are the only people that listen to those bands imo. I remember I did. And I really regretted it.

I dont think I have their tapes anymore. I probably threw them away.

@monster666

YES. YES. YES. I WAS WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO POST SOMETHING LIKE THIS. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
@pest

if you want me to reccomend some good REAL industrial, I'll start from the first.

Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Laibach, Nitzer Ebb, psychic tv, coil, black dice, mussolini headkick, zoviet france, FM einheit, einsturzende neubauten, aphex twin, blutengel, clan of xymox, das ich, der blutharsch, deutsch amerikanische freunsc, die form, die krupps, eisbrecher, godspeed! you black emperor, GRY, kmfdm, NIN, Oomph!, project pitchfork, x marks the pedwalk, VNV nation, tarmvred, sheep on drugs

there are others, but thats what I have on my zune.

I'll have to check out the subhumans.
@pest

if you want me to reccomend some good REAL industrial, I'll start from the first.

Throbbing Gristle, Cabaret Voltaire, Laibach, Nitzer Ebb, psychic tv, coil, black dice, mussolini headkick, zoviet france, FM einheit, einsturzende neubauten, aphex twin, blutengel, clan of xymox, das ich, der blutharsch, deutsch amerikanische freunsc, die form, die krupps, eisbrecher, godspeed! you black emperor, GRY, kmfdm, NIN, Oomph!, project pitchfork, x marks the pedwalk, VNV nation, tarmvred, sheep on drugs

there are others, but thats what I have on my zune.

I'll have to check out the subhumans.
1 2 3