Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Why is Flight Rising so Large?
1 2 3
Lots of people making good points in this thread.
I think from my experience, you aren't really punished for inconsistent activity. I can take a break for a week or so and come back and basically pick up right where I left off. The dragons don't die, and while there are incentives for consistent activity, it's not required. I can focus on irl stuff without feeling bad or worrying that I'm going to fall behind on the site or lose the stuff I've collected!
I also appreciate that the premium currency is pretty easily accessible without having to spend real money. In most games I play I feel like I have to hoard the premium currency as much as possible but here I feel freer to spend it without worrying about getting more later.
Lots of people making good points in this thread.
I think from my experience, you aren't really punished for inconsistent activity. I can take a break for a week or so and come back and basically pick up right where I left off. The dragons don't die, and while there are incentives for consistent activity, it's not required. I can focus on irl stuff without feeling bad or worrying that I'm going to fall behind on the site or lose the stuff I've collected!
I also appreciate that the premium currency is pretty easily accessible without having to spend real money. In most games I play I feel like I have to hoard the premium currency as much as possible but here I feel freer to spend it without worrying about getting more later.
I prefer to be pinged
if you reply to my forum posts!
ROyFQqy.png Not a dead lair, I'm just very busy irl!
-The art is good

-Transparent staff

-Lots of customization options

-Pets dont die

-Regular updates

-anyone can get premium currency

-its easy to gain money if you're consistent

-lovely community

This is the reason I've inevitably quit every other pet site except FR. I've taken long hiatuses but I always end up coming back to FR.
-The art is good

-Transparent staff

-Lots of customization options

-Pets dont die

-Regular updates

-anyone can get premium currency

-its easy to gain money if you're consistent

-lovely community

This is the reason I've inevitably quit every other pet site except FR. I've taken long hiatuses but I always end up coming back to FR.
pixil-frame-067.png2sdjCmT.pngpixil-frame-068.pngQq78qBr.png
Amazing community, great art and lore, good moderation team and most importantly dragons! FR is a very chill game that doesn't require you to log in on the daily and is altogether incredibly relaxing to play on your free time. The absolute worst that can happen to you when inactive for too long is your food stock decreasing, whereas other pet games introduce more punishing mechanics like killing your pets which is incredibly upsetting.

With that in mind, I'd say it's no wonder it's retained a reasonably high playerbase compared to other games. It simply gives you all the tools to create your dream clan and develop it further.
Amazing community, great art and lore, good moderation team and most importantly dragons! FR is a very chill game that doesn't require you to log in on the daily and is altogether incredibly relaxing to play on your free time. The absolute worst that can happen to you when inactive for too long is your food stock decreasing, whereas other pet games introduce more punishing mechanics like killing your pets which is incredibly upsetting.

With that in mind, I'd say it's no wonder it's retained a reasonably high playerbase compared to other games. It simply gives you all the tools to create your dream clan and develop it further.
259fa4e8385528fdae45177d06f5e5f1cfbf226e.png
W Y R M
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
he/himFR+8
~

H0bF1BC.gif
To sum up everything said above, FR is simply a superior petsim game [emoji=special eyes size=1]
To sum up everything said above, FR is simply a superior petsim game

Dark
i'm in mess
i'm a mess
picture of a cropped in-game sprite of a pink and gray spiral dragon with the darkest dream written over the picture, and linked to said dragon
A lot of people have brought up most of the reasons that I've stayed, but I'm going to add one that I don't think I've seen yet:

While it's in the petsim genre, dragons are not actually pets: they are their own independent characters and the player is not a "character" as such. It makes the game a lot more engaging and creative for me in terms of what kind of stories I can explore and what kind of characters I can create.
A lot of people have brought up most of the reasons that I've stayed, but I'm going to add one that I don't think I've seen yet:

While it's in the petsim genre, dragons are not actually pets: they are their own independent characters and the player is not a "character" as such. It makes the game a lot more engaging and creative for me in terms of what kind of stories I can explore and what kind of characters I can create.
The Flight, Dominance and Exalting systems are also fantastic game design!

Give people a choice of teams, there's a fair number of them (so you don't really get as much of an us v them attitude between players) but not too many. Everyone gets a little slice of Extra Team Community along with the general Flight rising community.

Dominance gives the site a sense of competition, but it's like, not that big of a deal if your Flight doesn't win. So while there have been a few isolated cases of drama, in general it's just fun.

Exalting plays into the Dominance system of course, but it's also a FANTASTIC way to address a problem that a LOT of other petsites have with a bloat of 'meh' pets not being worth anything, with no real incentive to get rid of them. With the exalting system, even the ugliest dragon is worth something, and there's an active encouragement for users to offload their extra dragons. Good stuff.
The Flight, Dominance and Exalting systems are also fantastic game design!

Give people a choice of teams, there's a fair number of them (so you don't really get as much of an us v them attitude between players) but not too many. Everyone gets a little slice of Extra Team Community along with the general Flight rising community.

Dominance gives the site a sense of competition, but it's like, not that big of a deal if your Flight doesn't win. So while there have been a few isolated cases of drama, in general it's just fun.

Exalting plays into the Dominance system of course, but it's also a FANTASTIC way to address a problem that a LOT of other petsites have with a bloat of 'meh' pets not being worth anything, with no real incentive to get rid of them. With the exalting system, even the ugliest dragon is worth something, and there's an active encouragement for users to offload their extra dragons. Good stuff.
we_rode_on_the_winds_of_the_rising_storm_by_c_yang-d68stu4.giftumblr_mobg0cyIZE1sula9po1_400.gifwe_rode_on_the_winds_of_the_rising_storm_by_c_yang-d68stu4.gif
wheeeeee
i haven't visited many pet sites but i would say that the 'dragons don't die' mechanic is a pretty big one. you can leave your dragons alone for years and they'll still be there when you come back (they'll even be fed automatically after a certain amount of days which is neat!). i know a lot of users like that.

another big thing that i'm aware of is the fact that the premium currency is relatively easy to obtain and you're never forced to buy any. heck, most of the time the site doesn't even require you to spend gems irc. its all optional.
i haven't visited many pet sites but i would say that the 'dragons don't die' mechanic is a pretty big one. you can leave your dragons alone for years and they'll still be there when you come back (they'll even be fed automatically after a certain amount of days which is neat!). i know a lot of users like that.

another big thing that i'm aware of is the fact that the premium currency is relatively easy to obtain and you're never forced to buy any. heck, most of the time the site doesn't even require you to spend gems irc. its all optional.
littel_guy.png Alex or Rex
They/He
FR +1
Pinging is OK
Dragon Sales
all the points above and:
lore isn’t moderated. like— no, it is, but it’s moderated for generically inappropriate topics rather than for adherence to the established site lore. which is an insane amount of freedom for all the writers here. from what i’ve seen, some other sites are a lot stricter with the lore. used to play dragon cave and that had an actual moderation process for every single bio. never wrote anything for that as a result.
all the points above and:
lore isn’t moderated. like— no, it is, but it’s moderated for generically inappropriate topics rather than for adherence to the established site lore. which is an insane amount of freedom for all the writers here. from what i’ve seen, some other sites are a lot stricter with the lore. used to play dragon cave and that had an actual moderation process for every single bio. never wrote anything for that as a result.
8aKVtucC_o.png
Tbh, the pets never dying is something I dislike, rather than like (obviously with limits, though. a manual rollover mechanic is what i like- what i DONT like is needing to take a break from a game only to come back and see all my work is gone), but I think overall, funny lil dragon game has at least one thing that will catch somebody's interest.

For me, a plus that I havent seen mentioned (probably has though I didnt read all the replies) is that FR is for pretty much any age. Granted, a ten year old isn't allowed onsite and I agree with that, but what I mean is that there's no mature content. Mature content has always made me uncomfortable, regardless of my age, so it's always a relief that Flight Rising has none of that.
Tbh, the pets never dying is something I dislike, rather than like (obviously with limits, though. a manual rollover mechanic is what i like- what i DONT like is needing to take a break from a game only to come back and see all my work is gone), but I think overall, funny lil dragon game has at least one thing that will catch somebody's interest.

For me, a plus that I havent seen mentioned (probably has though I didnt read all the replies) is that FR is for pretty much any age. Granted, a ten year old isn't allowed onsite and I agree with that, but what I mean is that there's no mature content. Mature content has always made me uncomfortable, regardless of my age, so it's always a relief that Flight Rising has none of that.
1bmIQLP.png
CUqoYIR.png
hvZ3oWr.png
OdNEyUV.png
UedbVG7.png
[quote name="mothscale" date="2022-05-09 15:33:06" ]While it's in the petsim genre, dragons are not actually pets: they are their own independent characters and the player is not a "character" as such. It makes the game a lot more engaging and creative for me in terms of what kind of stories I can explore and what kind of characters I can create. [/quote] ^ thissss. i feel like what this game has that others don't is that the "pets" themselves have so much customizability to them that the users can personalize them to fit their own interests, which can be casual collecting or more of a long-term achievement sort of thing (breeding projects, g1, etc etc). you basically can take whatever you want from this game the only other petsim i can think of that has a consistent and relatively large base is neopets, and this does seem to apply to that game too (at least for me, and maybe to a lesser degree)
mothscale wrote on 2022-05-09 15:33:06:

^ thissss. i feel like what this game has that others don't is that the "pets" themselves have so much customizability to them that the users can personalize them to fit their own interests, which can be casual collecting or more of a long-term achievement sort of thing (breeding projects, g1, etc etc). you basically can take whatever you want from this game

the only other petsim i can think of that has a consistent and relatively large base is neopets, and this does seem to apply to that game too (at least for me, and maybe to a lesser degree)
1 2 3