Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Any Magic the Gathering players around?
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
@Shuffluffalo
Yeah, I fully believe that the decks that are absolutely the technically BEST are combo decks. But I shoot myself in the foot and don't really use as many combos for the fact that I get bored with it, personally. But they are amazing decks! So my Animar is built for scary creature spam with a few necessary combos mixed in. :3

And I know what you mean with the mill. Phenax is really new, and his mill ability is RIDICULOUS. It's like disgustingly ridiculous, but I love it. But then again, my reason for loving mill is because even when you lose, your opponent(s) is ******... or at least, that's been my experience. I had someone pound my face into the dirt with a green aggro deck, but because I milled their Garruk, they were seething despite their victory, haha.
@Shuffluffalo
Yeah, I fully believe that the decks that are absolutely the technically BEST are combo decks. But I shoot myself in the foot and don't really use as many combos for the fact that I get bored with it, personally. But they are amazing decks! So my Animar is built for scary creature spam with a few necessary combos mixed in. :3

And I know what you mean with the mill. Phenax is really new, and his mill ability is RIDICULOUS. It's like disgustingly ridiculous, but I love it. But then again, my reason for loving mill is because even when you lose, your opponent(s) is ******... or at least, that's been my experience. I had someone pound my face into the dirt with a green aggro deck, but because I milled their Garruk, they were seething despite their victory, haha.
hvcpqd.jpg
Lora // My Tumblr
@Airotia
Yeah, depending on the deck, sometimes combos can get very boring... My Animar's got a buttload, so I thankfully get a little variation on things... Creature spam is definitely the way to go with Animar though, especially when there are things like the big Eldrazis and Blightsteel that you can cast for free with him :D

Oh, man, I have made the grave error of underestimating Phenax already. His mill is downright TERRIFYING if you can get set up with some big creatures. Yep, people get downright infuriated with mill! I've seen someone get so ****** off playing against it that they just picked up their stuff and walked off, even though they were probably going to win XD
@Airotia
Yeah, depending on the deck, sometimes combos can get very boring... My Animar's got a buttload, so I thankfully get a little variation on things... Creature spam is definitely the way to go with Animar though, especially when there are things like the big Eldrazis and Blightsteel that you can cast for free with him :D

Oh, man, I have made the grave error of underestimating Phenax already. His mill is downright TERRIFYING if you can get set up with some big creatures. Yep, people get downright infuriated with mill! I've seen someone get so ****** off playing against it that they just picked up their stuff and walked off, even though they were probably going to win XD
xg88mqt.png
@Shuffluffalo
Variation is always great in a deck -- that's probably why EDH is my favorite format. Because there are so many cards that can't be the same, it's actually hard to make a deck that does the same thing every time with the same cards. My fiance has a Sydri deck that I think I managed to beat like, once, out of sheer luck (I got the perfect starting hand, he got the opposite of that), but usually he does the same thing every game because he has a consistent way of searching out specific cards. He got really bored with it after a month or so (and started stealing my Animar to play with hehehe). A combo deck with variation would probably be loads of fun, though! :D

It sucks to have a mill deck and try to play people, though. xD Cause with EDH you just tell people your general, and I've had people wave their finger in my face like "I KNOW YOU HAVE OTHER DECKS AND I REFUSE TO PLAY PHENAX." And it's terrible because my Phenax deck is actually pretty crap because it's been reformatted so much and I'm a lazy deck builder. I've been wanting to build a flying EDH deck for the longest, but bringing myself to sit down and do it is like pulling teeth. Playing is more fun to me, but I don't want to leave the building to my fiance (who is loads better at that) and feel like I'm not playing my own stuff. So for people to be scared of my bad Phenax deck is just pretty funny to me. lol
@Shuffluffalo
Variation is always great in a deck -- that's probably why EDH is my favorite format. Because there are so many cards that can't be the same, it's actually hard to make a deck that does the same thing every time with the same cards. My fiance has a Sydri deck that I think I managed to beat like, once, out of sheer luck (I got the perfect starting hand, he got the opposite of that), but usually he does the same thing every game because he has a consistent way of searching out specific cards. He got really bored with it after a month or so (and started stealing my Animar to play with hehehe). A combo deck with variation would probably be loads of fun, though! :D

It sucks to have a mill deck and try to play people, though. xD Cause with EDH you just tell people your general, and I've had people wave their finger in my face like "I KNOW YOU HAVE OTHER DECKS AND I REFUSE TO PLAY PHENAX." And it's terrible because my Phenax deck is actually pretty crap because it's been reformatted so much and I'm a lazy deck builder. I've been wanting to build a flying EDH deck for the longest, but bringing myself to sit down and do it is like pulling teeth. Playing is more fun to me, but I don't want to leave the building to my fiance (who is loads better at that) and feel like I'm not playing my own stuff. So for people to be scared of my bad Phenax deck is just pretty funny to me. lol
hvcpqd.jpg
Lora // My Tumblr
Shuffluffalo
Using Varolz with Death's Shadow and Corpsejack Menace is just the best! :D
Shuffluffalo
Using Varolz with Death's Shadow and Corpsejack Menace is just the best! :D
dd4c357c-68d4-4116-bccc-e1c20c55aa3c.png
I play!

My fiance got me into this back in high school a few years ago, I started out running demons in the avacyn expansion but after a lot of changes I keep one deck and one deck only: DRAGONS. (Funny how that works....)

It's classified as a value deck and has special sleeves, a special box, everything. It's red/blue.

Also, Tamiyo/Chandra the pyro/ral zarek is a good combo. Tap with both tamiyo and ral and hit for damage with chandra. Also, if memory serves, you can untap used land or tapped creatures with both tap cards.
I play!

My fiance got me into this back in high school a few years ago, I started out running demons in the avacyn expansion but after a lot of changes I keep one deck and one deck only: DRAGONS. (Funny how that works....)

It's classified as a value deck and has special sleeves, a special box, everything. It's red/blue.

Also, Tamiyo/Chandra the pyro/ral zarek is a good combo. Tap with both tamiyo and ral and hit for damage with chandra. Also, if memory serves, you can untap used land or tapped creatures with both tap cards.
ystbqm3.png
@Shuffluffalo
Yeah, when I play her I tend to be taken out very quickly. People actually don't like my eight and a half tails because I can just sit back and no one can touch me while I build my army. Honestly needs a better win-con though so I can finish games faster.
@Shuffluffalo
Yeah, when I play her I tend to be taken out very quickly. People actually don't like my eight and a half tails because I can just sit back and no one can touch me while I build my army. Honestly needs a better win-con though so I can finish games faster.
Oh lord, I thought I was alone! MTG FRIENDS! I have a white deck from Beta that I play fairly often . I'm Brest at Green/Black decks. You buff everything and then obliterate with black creatures. My other favorite deck is a squirrel deck...it-pardon the term- vomits out little 2/2 squirrel tokens every turn. Typically by the third turn I already have 15 squirrels out. It got to the point that I painted little plastic army men and set them out because I ran out of token cards. ;;
TALK TO ME GUYS, WHERE I LIVE NOBODY PLAYS AT ALL. SMALL TOWNS.
Oh lord, I thought I was alone! MTG FRIENDS! I have a white deck from Beta that I play fairly often . I'm Brest at Green/Black decks. You buff everything and then obliterate with black creatures. My other favorite deck is a squirrel deck...it-pardon the term- vomits out little 2/2 squirrel tokens every turn. Typically by the third turn I already have 15 squirrels out. It got to the point that I painted little plastic army men and set them out because I ran out of token cards. ;;
TALK TO ME GUYS, WHERE I LIVE NOBODY PLAYS AT ALL. SMALL TOWNS.
tumblr_inline_nq0r6s19iA1syr94a_500.png
@Airotia
Yup, variation is the really nice part with EDH. You rarely play two identical games in a row! I only have one EDH that plays pretty much the same every time, and that's because it's a Relentless Rats deck lol.
Oh my gosh yes! You get ONE Consuming Abberation to land and suddenly you're the table boogeyman XD People reeeeally seem to hate mill in EDH, almost as much as they hate land destruction...

@Tanbai
Avacyn was a great set!! (Though I had AWFUL luck at the prerelease :C) It had what is undoubtedly one of the best demons ever with Griselbrand, too! Dragons are awesome though, way cooler than demons ;D Hehe I LOVE going infinite turns with Ral Zarek. Nobody ever seems to see it coming for some reason!

@Shade
Lol yup Kaalia just has the potential to get very scary veeery fast! A friend of mine has a deck like that too, he just sits back and builds up a wall till he's unkillable then waits for other players to kill eachother. His general's Angus MacKenzie.

@shattringmirrors
MTG PEOPLE UNITE! Ahem... I mean... Hi! Wow, Beta? I'll bet some of those cards are worth a bit! Green black is always a fun combo, be it pump decks or graveyard decks. SQUIRRELS! Oh man, they are too much fun! People underestimate them, too, until they have to play against them XD Yep, small towns are the worst when you're a gamer :C
@Airotia
Yup, variation is the really nice part with EDH. You rarely play two identical games in a row! I only have one EDH that plays pretty much the same every time, and that's because it's a Relentless Rats deck lol.
Oh my gosh yes! You get ONE Consuming Abberation to land and suddenly you're the table boogeyman XD People reeeeally seem to hate mill in EDH, almost as much as they hate land destruction...

@Tanbai
Avacyn was a great set!! (Though I had AWFUL luck at the prerelease :C) It had what is undoubtedly one of the best demons ever with Griselbrand, too! Dragons are awesome though, way cooler than demons ;D Hehe I LOVE going infinite turns with Ral Zarek. Nobody ever seems to see it coming for some reason!

@Shade
Lol yup Kaalia just has the potential to get very scary veeery fast! A friend of mine has a deck like that too, he just sits back and builds up a wall till he's unkillable then waits for other players to kill eachother. His general's Angus MacKenzie.

@shattringmirrors
MTG PEOPLE UNITE! Ahem... I mean... Hi! Wow, Beta? I'll bet some of those cards are worth a bit! Green black is always a fun combo, be it pump decks or graveyard decks. SQUIRRELS! Oh man, they are too much fun! People underestimate them, too, until they have to play against them XD Yep, small towns are the worst when you're a gamer :C
xg88mqt.png
UNITE. GO TEAM Yeah, I'm very proud of my beta set. My dad helped me start it off. Yeah, they cost me a few pennies...heh. Worth it, though! Green and Black is my favorite...I named it my Virulent Growth. Dad calls it black mold. Either way! Hahaa, everyone laughs when I show up at Wizards Asylum for a tourney with a bag full of little soldiers as squirrels. Then they lose to them. xD. Small towns irk my existence.
UNITE. GO TEAM Yeah, I'm very proud of my beta set. My dad helped me start it off. Yeah, they cost me a few pennies...heh. Worth it, though! Green and Black is my favorite...I named it my Virulent Growth. Dad calls it black mold. Either way! Hahaa, everyone laughs when I show up at Wizards Asylum for a tourney with a bag full of little soldiers as squirrels. Then they lose to them. xD. Small towns irk my existence.
tumblr_inline_nq0r6s19iA1syr94a_500.png
Red/white deck lover reporting in! I love playing in a quick beatdown sort of style, lots of early drops to overwhelm people :P
Red/white deck lover reporting in! I love playing in a quick beatdown sort of style, lots of early drops to overwhelm people :P
1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13