Back

Introductions

Introduce yourself and say hello to the rest of the community.
TOPIC | New Dragon Seeking New Dragon Friends!
[b]Hello fellow dragon fans![/b] [emoji=pearlcatcher laughing size=1][emoji=familiar heart size=1] A dragon collecting game, eh? Sounds like my kinda thing, [b]I'm in[/b]! So... yeah, I'm [i]pretty[/i] new here (started playing on October 3rd, so basically only a week or so now), but have already been playing pretty obsessively since I started! I'm especially addicted to gawping at all the pretty dragons at the Auction House, that seems [i]way[/i] too addictive! So far, my favourite dragon breeds are probably Coatls and Nocturnes, though I also love the art for male Tundras and hatchling Obelisks (they look like flying kittens!)! My favourite Fairground game is Shock Switch and I'm trying my best to figure out Coliseum strategies. I'm also very much admiring the art, lore and fantasy creatures in the game. I'd love to try my hand at writing lore and fanfic, drawing fan art and maybe even roleplaying with my favourite dragons. A long term plan for the game I have is to have a lore dragon hatchery where you can purchase a dragon with a fleshed-out personality and custom art. I think doing some Flight Rising fan content could be a good launch-pad for getting back into being creative. I've always aspired to be an artist of some sort but have really fallen out of practice. Perhaps doing fan art can give me a sense of direction? I'm also super keen to make new friends, especially since the FR forums look pretty active and it seems like a nice community! I honestly haven't been great at interacting with people for a long time, either IRL or online due to pretty bad social anxiety, but I think I'm ready to start interacting with other humans finally and this seems like a good place to start. I'd like to become a bit of a regular on a forum again so no doubt you'll see me posting in various topics given time. [emoji=heart size=1][b]A little about myself: [/b] My pronouns are she/ her, I'm 25 and I live in the UK. Unfortunately IRL I am a human, though here I will be a dragon. As stated above, I'm an aspiring artist. I've struggled so much with finding meaning or value in my art and have come so close to abandoning it altogether, but I still want to try and go for it! I love fantasy creature art, character design, anthropomorphic (furry) art and world-building. I love animals, all of them (even spiders)! Animals are just so wonderful and I think we're incredibly lucky to share this planet with many amazing creatures. Pigs especially are just adorable and I'd love to have some rescue oinkers some day! I have a cat named Tigger and he is my best friend (he sleeps on my bed every night). [emoji=cat 1 size=1] I collect plushies. Far too many plushies! Mostly realistic big cats like lions, tigers and leopards, but also cute Chinese cotton dolls you can dress. I'd like to try plush making someday as that looks awesome (and also super difficult). I'm a closeted furry, and have been for many years. Never met another furry IRL or been to a meet. I even made a cat fursuit head and would like to make some more personal suits, maybe one day even visit a con. Thinking about it, I honestly have [i]waaaaay[/i] too many creative interests that I don't engage with much, it's insane! A few of my favourite shows are; The Dragon Prince (a must watch, honestly amazing), Avatar: The Last Airbender, My Little Pony, Rick and Morty, Steven Universe, King of the Hill, Totally Spies, Phineas and Ferb... and a load of animated stuff basically. Yes, I'm still a big kid, and I doubt I'll ever grow up. My favourite vegetables are carrots, though I will eat basically any vegetable you put in front of me (yes, [i]even[/i] this strange blue mushroom here [emoji=blue mushroom size=1]). Vegetables are life. Anything else you wanna know about me? Go ahead and ask! [emoji=nocturne tongue size=1] Anyhoo, thanks for reading my probably too long intro post that I spent [i]far[/i] too long writing up. If anybody wants to say hi, show me the ropes or just chat, please don't hesitate to initiate interaction. [emoji=new friend size=1]
Hello fellow dragon fans!

A dragon collecting game, eh? Sounds like my kinda thing, I'm in!

So... yeah, I'm pretty new here (started playing on October 3rd, so basically only a week or so now), but have already been playing pretty obsessively since I started! I'm especially addicted to gawping at all the pretty dragons at the Auction House, that seems way too addictive! So far, my favourite dragon breeds are probably Coatls and Nocturnes, though I also love the art for male Tundras and hatchling Obelisks (they look like flying kittens!)! My favourite Fairground game is Shock Switch and I'm trying my best to figure out Coliseum strategies. I'm also very much admiring the art, lore and fantasy creatures in the game.

I'd love to try my hand at writing lore and fanfic, drawing fan art and maybe even roleplaying with my favourite dragons. A long term plan for the game I have is to have a lore dragon hatchery where you can purchase a dragon with a fleshed-out personality and custom art. I think doing some Flight Rising fan content could be a good launch-pad for getting back into being creative. I've always aspired to be an artist of some sort but have really fallen out of practice. Perhaps doing fan art can give me a sense of direction?

I'm also super keen to make new friends, especially since the FR forums look pretty active and it seems like a nice community! I honestly haven't been great at interacting with people for a long time, either IRL or online due to pretty bad social anxiety, but I think I'm ready to start interacting with other humans finally and this seems like a good place to start. I'd like to become a bit of a regular on a forum again so no doubt you'll see me posting in various topics given time.

A little about myself:

My pronouns are she/ her, I'm 25 and I live in the UK. Unfortunately IRL I am a human, though here I will be a dragon.

As stated above, I'm an aspiring artist. I've struggled so much with finding meaning or value in my art and have come so close to abandoning it altogether, but I still want to try and go for it! I love fantasy creature art, character design, anthropomorphic (furry) art and world-building.

I love animals, all of them (even spiders)! Animals are just so wonderful and I think we're incredibly lucky to share this planet with many amazing creatures. Pigs especially are just adorable and I'd love to have some rescue oinkers some day! I have a cat named Tigger and he is my best friend (he sleeps on my bed every night).

I collect plushies. Far too many plushies! Mostly realistic big cats like lions, tigers and leopards, but also cute Chinese cotton dolls you can dress. I'd like to try plush making someday as that looks awesome (and also super difficult).

I'm a closeted furry, and have been for many years. Never met another furry IRL or been to a meet. I even made a cat fursuit head and would like to make some more personal suits, maybe one day even visit a con. Thinking about it, I honestly have waaaaay too many creative interests that I don't engage with much, it's insane!

A few of my favourite shows are; The Dragon Prince (a must watch, honestly amazing), Avatar: The Last Airbender, My Little Pony, Rick and Morty, Steven Universe, King of the Hill, Totally Spies, Phineas and Ferb... and a load of animated stuff basically. Yes, I'm still a big kid, and I doubt I'll ever grow up.

My favourite vegetables are carrots, though I will eat basically any vegetable you put in front of me (yes, even this strange blue mushroom here ). Vegetables are life.

Anything else you wanna know about me? Go ahead and ask!

Anyhoo, thanks for reading my probably too long intro post that I spent far too long writing up. If anybody wants to say hi, show me the ropes or just chat, please don't hesitate to initiate interaction.
Heyo and welcome!!

I second the loveliness of how you formatted your post <3 It's very pleasing to look at.

I'm aspiring to get into the animation industry someday, so I share your love of cartoons. The Dragon Prince is one of my favs! Did you hear it got approved for 4 more seasons?! So hype

My question to you is, do you play any video games?

also, though i do not have any Coatls or Nocturnes, I have a few dragons in this tab that you can have for free if you want! (it should be the second page of my main tab, with all the unnamed dragons)
Heyo and welcome!!

I second the loveliness of how you formatted your post <3 It's very pleasing to look at.

I'm aspiring to get into the animation industry someday, so I share your love of cartoons. The Dragon Prince is one of my favs! Did you hear it got approved for 4 more seasons?! So hype

My question to you is, do you play any video games?

also, though i do not have any Coatls or Nocturnes, I have a few dragons in this tab that you can have for free if you want! (it should be the second page of my main tab, with all the unnamed dragons)
@ops

Hooray for carrots! :D

And thanks for appreciating the formatting, I spent a couple of days writing up the post, redrafting, rewording and reformatting until it looked ok. As I said, I probably spent way too long thinking and worrying about how it would look, probably shows my social anxiety, but I'm glad the effort showed at least!

I think a lot more people are seeing how wonderful piggies are, seems there are way more adorable pictures and videos of pigs nowadays which is great. I follow farm sanctuaries on Instagram for that reason; so many happy animals, and it's heartwarming to see!

I seem to be getting around okay-ish at the moment, and though there are definitely some things that seem like they take a lot of learning about (like coliseum grinding, exalting and money making) I'm scouring about the forum and reading relevant guides which is quite helpful.

I don't think I should have bred my First gen dragons... that was a big oopsie, wasn't it? What are some things you wish you knew when you started? That would be interesting to hear!

@PixiePop

Thanks again RE the formatting! :3

Oh, animating was a dream of mine, but now I feel far too intimidated by the fierce competition in that field and have super low confidence about my potential animating skills. I bought 'The Animator's Survival Kit' by Richard Williams, had a read through and got scared at all the work needed for even short bits of animation, it just looks impossible... at least to my very worried and fragile mind. I'm amazed (and jealous) at Hayao Miyazaki for his work and always looked up to him in particular. He seems almost inhuman with that level of talent and dedication!

I heard about the four more seasons of The Dragon Prince and have mixed feelings; both hype and a little concerned about how they'll keep the show going so strong for so long! Here's hoping it stays just as amazing!

Yep, I have played loads of video games! I used to play them all the time when I was younger, I played all the Pokemon games from Red and Blue on the Gameboy Colour to Diamond and Pearl. I was super into Skyrim and both Red Dead Redemption games. I also played Dragon Quest (I forget which one!) and Digimon World on the DS. Open-world genres were my favourite since I like the experience of escaping to and wandering around in new worlds and the feeling of freedom and wonder they brought to my life.

MMO-wise, I was a big Runescape player for many years, even came back to it a couple of years ago, but am not playing at the moment. Neopets was a big part of my childhood (and probably explains why I like Flight Rising so much)!

I might get back into video games more seriously again one day, though honestly I'd like to focus more on creativity going forwards. What are your favourite games?

Thanks for the dragon offer, that's very sweet of you! I've found that I'm pretty notoriously picky and indecisive when it comes to choosing dragons, though!
@ops

Hooray for carrots! :D

And thanks for appreciating the formatting, I spent a couple of days writing up the post, redrafting, rewording and reformatting until it looked ok. As I said, I probably spent way too long thinking and worrying about how it would look, probably shows my social anxiety, but I'm glad the effort showed at least!

I think a lot more people are seeing how wonderful piggies are, seems there are way more adorable pictures and videos of pigs nowadays which is great. I follow farm sanctuaries on Instagram for that reason; so many happy animals, and it's heartwarming to see!

I seem to be getting around okay-ish at the moment, and though there are definitely some things that seem like they take a lot of learning about (like coliseum grinding, exalting and money making) I'm scouring about the forum and reading relevant guides which is quite helpful.

I don't think I should have bred my First gen dragons... that was a big oopsie, wasn't it? What are some things you wish you knew when you started? That would be interesting to hear!

@PixiePop

Thanks again RE the formatting! :3

Oh, animating was a dream of mine, but now I feel far too intimidated by the fierce competition in that field and have super low confidence about my potential animating skills. I bought 'The Animator's Survival Kit' by Richard Williams, had a read through and got scared at all the work needed for even short bits of animation, it just looks impossible... at least to my very worried and fragile mind. I'm amazed (and jealous) at Hayao Miyazaki for his work and always looked up to him in particular. He seems almost inhuman with that level of talent and dedication!

I heard about the four more seasons of The Dragon Prince and have mixed feelings; both hype and a little concerned about how they'll keep the show going so strong for so long! Here's hoping it stays just as amazing!

Yep, I have played loads of video games! I used to play them all the time when I was younger, I played all the Pokemon games from Red and Blue on the Gameboy Colour to Diamond and Pearl. I was super into Skyrim and both Red Dead Redemption games. I also played Dragon Quest (I forget which one!) and Digimon World on the DS. Open-world genres were my favourite since I like the experience of escaping to and wandering around in new worlds and the feeling of freedom and wonder they brought to my life.

MMO-wise, I was a big Runescape player for many years, even came back to it a couple of years ago, but am not playing at the moment. Neopets was a big part of my childhood (and probably explains why I like Flight Rising so much)!

I might get back into video games more seriously again one day, though honestly I'd like to focus more on creativity going forwards. What are your favourite games?

Thanks for the dragon offer, that's very sweet of you! I've found that I'm pretty notoriously picky and indecisive when it comes to choosing dragons, though!
@ops Woah, that's a [i]lot[/i] of useful info, thanks a bunch! [emoji=familiar heart size=1] Phew... I think something I had read said not to breed your first dragons, so I'm glad it's not actually a big mistake! That's certainly a relief. Okay, stick to scavenging, [i]got it[/i]! I didn't realize you could choose the element in which you scavenge! [b]How do you do that?[/b] As for the Coliseum... man, even when it's explained, it is incredibly confusing! I think I'm just going to have to read a load of guides until something clicks. I can be pretty slow at understanding things sometimes! :S As for the dailies, I'm pretty sure I've got them all figured out and it seems like pretty reliable, easy idle money making! Honestly at the moment, I think my main problem is buying too many dragons! I usually have a tab open on the 'Dragons' tab of the auction house set to 'Expiring Later' and I keep refreshing the page. I have an addictive personality and a hoarding problem to boot! [emoji=tundra laughing size=1]
@ops

Woah, that's a lot of useful info, thanks a bunch!

Phew... I think something I had read said not to breed your first dragons, so I'm glad it's not actually a big mistake! That's certainly a relief.

Okay, stick to scavenging, got it! I didn't realize you could choose the element in which you scavenge! How do you do that?

As for the Coliseum... man, even when it's explained, it is incredibly confusing! I think I'm just going to have to read a load of guides until something clicks. I can be pretty slow at understanding things sometimes! :S

As for the dailies, I'm pretty sure I've got them all figured out and it seems like pretty reliable, easy idle money making!

Honestly at the moment, I think my main problem is buying too many dragons! I usually have a tab open on the 'Dragons' tab of the auction house set to 'Expiring Later' and I keep refreshing the page. I have an addictive personality and a hoarding problem to boot!
@EffervescentSoul Welcome to FR im fairly new myself!

Im openly a furry and also a fellow artist! i had a similar idea getting more into flight rising about using it to get myself back into drawing (currently going through a really rough art block myself) I'd love to see some of your work sometime :)

This community has been super sweet so far and i'm sure you'll run into a lot of great people!

Opinion on the new mlp gen? assuming you've seen it ^v^ Izzy is my fave so far

(also if you have any questions about the game i have tips as well lol, as someone who also just joined a month ago)
@EffervescentSoul Welcome to FR im fairly new myself!

Im openly a furry and also a fellow artist! i had a similar idea getting more into flight rising about using it to get myself back into drawing (currently going through a really rough art block myself) I'd love to see some of your work sometime :)

This community has been super sweet so far and i'm sure you'll run into a lot of great people!

Opinion on the new mlp gen? assuming you've seen it ^v^ Izzy is my fave so far

(also if you have any questions about the game i have tips as well lol, as someone who also just joined a month ago)
spr_gameOver.png
@BriWolfie Thank you for the warm welcome, it is much appreciated. [emoji=coatl happy size=1] I am definitely getting friendly and chilled vibes from the folk around here! Nice to meet a fellow furry and artist! Tell me about it, I've had very bad art blocks in place for long periods of time on-and-off for some 10 years or so. I am constantly criticizing myself saying I really should just go ahead and do art, but it's [i]not[/i] easy, no matter how easy some people think it is! Who's your fursona? And what's your opinion on fursuits? I personally [i]adore[/i] fursuits and they're my favourite part of the fandom! When I get around to doing art, I'll definitely let you know! On that point, who's your favourite dragon? *[i]wink wink[/i]* I actually really enjoyed the new MLP movie way more than I thought I would! I'm a bit of an oldie so I was hesitant about liking something '3D-ified' - especially after so many new 3D animation remakes don't stay true to the magic of the original movies or series they were based on - but I was pleasantly surprised! I like the 'fuzz' effect on the ponies, and they weren't as bright and candy-coloured as the last gen which was a refreshing change. I really liked Hitch, I thought he was a great character with a heart of gold.
@BriWolfie

Thank you for the warm welcome, it is much appreciated. I am definitely getting friendly and chilled vibes from the folk around here!

Nice to meet a fellow furry and artist! Tell me about it, I've had very bad art blocks in place for long periods of time on-and-off for some 10 years or so. I am constantly criticizing myself saying I really should just go ahead and do art, but it's not easy, no matter how easy some people think it is!

Who's your fursona? And what's your opinion on fursuits? I personally adore fursuits and they're my favourite part of the fandom!

When I get around to doing art, I'll definitely let you know! On that point, who's your favourite dragon? *wink wink*

I actually really enjoyed the new MLP movie way more than I thought I would! I'm a bit of an oldie so I was hesitant about liking something '3D-ified' - especially after so many new 3D animation remakes don't stay true to the magic of the original movies or series they were based on - but I was pleasantly surprised! I like the 'fuzz' effect on the ponies, and they weren't as bright and candy-coloured as the last gen which was a refreshing change. I really liked Hitch, I thought he was a great character with a heart of gold.
@EffervescentSoul I used to have kind of a fursona/self insert but she kind of became her own full character for a comic im working on! (at this point all we share is a name ^^;) I adore fursuits and have tons of respect for their makers! That stuff is so difficult to do and make look presentable that its honestly just impressive even if you're not a big fan of them in particular. (Edit: You said you were more closeted furry, any fursonas or ocs yourself?) I physically cant choose a favorite out of my horde XD im too attached to all of them but i have done art for my Lair rep Nepty here! (it's in her description) [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/71701143][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/717012/71701143_350.png[/img][/url] i was super worried when we got the merch leaks a while ago but i think they made it look really cute, now im just concerned about how they'll animate the show ^^;
@EffervescentSoul I used to have kind of a fursona/self insert but she kind of became her own full character for a comic im working on! (at this point all we share is a name ^^;) I adore fursuits and have tons of respect for their makers! That stuff is so difficult to do and make look presentable that its honestly just impressive even if you're not a big fan of them in particular.

(Edit: You said you were more closeted furry, any fursonas or ocs yourself?)

I physically cant choose a favorite out of my horde XD im too attached to all of them but i have done art for my Lair rep Nepty here! (it's in her description)
71701143_350.png

i was super worried when we got the merch leaks a while ago but i think they made it look really cute, now im just concerned about how they'll animate the show ^^;
spr_gameOver.png
@BriWolfie Oh wow, a comic? That's awesome! A comic takes a lot of dedication so it's really awesome that you're doing a project like that! [emoji=coatl star size=1] I have never settled on a single fursona, but have always had ideas in my head and done a lot of basic furry pencil sketches. I am [i]terrible[/i] at planing drawing so everything's pretty random. Even my fursuit head was made randomly by carving foam, drawing on random patterns, shoving some fur on top and hoping for the best. xD Nepty is very nifty, and your art for her is really great! I suck at digital art (and need to work on it more), I'm better with pencils. Honestly, I am also concerned as to the quality of the new MLP animated show and that was the worry that sprung to mind after seeing the movie. Will it be on the same quality as Paw Patrol of something, or will they put the time, effort and money in to making it as well animated as the movie? 3D animated shows tend to be badly animated by standard. Here's hoping it's at least passable! I loved the flash animation for Gen 4, it was really beautifully stylized.
@BriWolfie

Oh wow, a comic? That's awesome! A comic takes a lot of dedication so it's really awesome that you're doing a project like that!

I have never settled on a single fursona, but have always had ideas in my head and done a lot of basic furry pencil sketches. I am terrible at planing drawing so everything's pretty random. Even my fursuit head was made randomly by carving foam, drawing on random patterns, shoving some fur on top and hoping for the best. xD

Nepty is very nifty, and your art for her is really great! I suck at digital art (and need to work on it more), I'm better with pencils.

Honestly, I am also concerned as to the quality of the new MLP animated show and that was the worry that sprung to mind after seeing the movie. Will it be on the same quality as Paw Patrol of something, or will they put the time, effort and money in to making it as well animated as the movie? 3D animated shows tend to be badly animated by standard. Here's hoping it's at least passable! I loved the flash animation for Gen 4, it was really beautifully stylized.
@EffervescentSoul
Thanks! It's been so hard to continue work on it with my art/writing block ;^; i have the entire plotline figured out and set up in my head but putting it to paper is a struggle

Making a fursona can be pretty difficult to plan out! my best advice is just pick an animal or creature that style suits you, doesnt even have to be your fave animal per-say just something that feels right (and they can change and grow as you do style wise) i wouldn't stress about it and just toss stuff you like together till something sticks

Thanks! I have been maining digital art lately but i have been slowly collecting every art supply under the sun so ive tried alot of traditional stuff as well! Watercolor is my favorite <3 but i'd never part with my prismacolors.

I'm assuming they wont have the same budget for the show which is where the concern is ^^; i'd love if they kept the show in the movie style but i dunno if hasbros willing to dish out that much money. G4 had such a good charm to its style. Faust did such a great job re-branding them from the earlier gens.
@EffervescentSoul
Thanks! It's been so hard to continue work on it with my art/writing block ;^; i have the entire plotline figured out and set up in my head but putting it to paper is a struggle

Making a fursona can be pretty difficult to plan out! my best advice is just pick an animal or creature that style suits you, doesnt even have to be your fave animal per-say just something that feels right (and they can change and grow as you do style wise) i wouldn't stress about it and just toss stuff you like together till something sticks

Thanks! I have been maining digital art lately but i have been slowly collecting every art supply under the sun so ive tried alot of traditional stuff as well! Watercolor is my favorite <3 but i'd never part with my prismacolors.

I'm assuming they wont have the same budget for the show which is where the concern is ^^; i'd love if they kept the show in the movie style but i dunno if hasbros willing to dish out that much money. G4 had such a good charm to its style. Faust did such a great job re-branding them from the earlier gens.
spr_gameOver.png
@EffervescentSoul haha that's totally fair. Luckily, for both UK and US animation, it's more pre-production focused, so to work in the industry is to do like, storyboards, backgrounds and character design. Storyboards are nice cause you don't have to finish drawings hahaha. It's still a lot of work tho.

The good thing about dragon prince is they originally outlined the show for 7 seasons, so at the very least they do have a plan of what they're going to do going forward. I'm glad they'll be able to tell the story they want to tell! Airbender was originally planned for 4 seasons but got cut short, and I think in a few places you can kinda tell (it's very small things though, like never finishing the Zuko's mom subplot within the show. and they did a very good job with the last season)

ooo i LOVE dragon quest! I think I've only played 9 on DS, 7 on 3DS, and now I have the newest one on switch, and it's quickly become a fav. The movie on netflix is a ton of fun too! I just love the music and the world and the sincerity of it all.

if you love open world and haven't played breath of the wild yet, I would highly recommend. I've also been playing Genshin impact a lot this past year and it's so pretty! Persona 5 is a great art inspo kinda game, the visuals and UI design are incredible. Ace Attorney is super fun and has amazing character designs, and only gets better as the games go on (The Great Ace Attorney designs are just, *chef's kiss*)
@EffervescentSoul haha that's totally fair. Luckily, for both UK and US animation, it's more pre-production focused, so to work in the industry is to do like, storyboards, backgrounds and character design. Storyboards are nice cause you don't have to finish drawings hahaha. It's still a lot of work tho.

The good thing about dragon prince is they originally outlined the show for 7 seasons, so at the very least they do have a plan of what they're going to do going forward. I'm glad they'll be able to tell the story they want to tell! Airbender was originally planned for 4 seasons but got cut short, and I think in a few places you can kinda tell (it's very small things though, like never finishing the Zuko's mom subplot within the show. and they did a very good job with the last season)

ooo i LOVE dragon quest! I think I've only played 9 on DS, 7 on 3DS, and now I have the newest one on switch, and it's quickly become a fav. The movie on netflix is a ton of fun too! I just love the music and the world and the sincerity of it all.

if you love open world and haven't played breath of the wild yet, I would highly recommend. I've also been playing Genshin impact a lot this past year and it's so pretty! Persona 5 is a great art inspo kinda game, the visuals and UI design are incredible. Ace Attorney is super fun and has amazing character designs, and only gets better as the games go on (The Great Ace Attorney designs are just, *chef's kiss*)