Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Good anime for beginners
1 2 3 4
I always recommend Studio Ghibli movies to people who begin watching anime. There's no fanservice and nice stories to be told. My favorites from the studio are Spirited Away, Tales from the Earthsea, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, and Grave of the Fireflies, if your friend is into historical stuff.

This is a bit of a niche case, but I also have a personal favorite that is more in the Slice of Life of things, called Aria the Animation. There's no action whatsoever, so you might not be into that. It's the first season in the Aria anime series (it's originally a manga) and is 13 episodes long. It does have some kind of fanservice but it's like only a few minutes long in one episode, and even then it's nothing strange as the anime itself focuses on keeping the viewer relaxed ^^ The art is also cute and it has cats!
I always recommend Studio Ghibli movies to people who begin watching anime. There's no fanservice and nice stories to be told. My favorites from the studio are Spirited Away, Tales from the Earthsea, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke, and Grave of the Fireflies, if your friend is into historical stuff.

This is a bit of a niche case, but I also have a personal favorite that is more in the Slice of Life of things, called Aria the Animation. There's no action whatsoever, so you might not be into that. It's the first season in the Aria anime series (it's originally a manga) and is 13 episodes long. It does have some kind of fanservice but it's like only a few minutes long in one episode, and even then it's nothing strange as the anime itself focuses on keeping the viewer relaxed ^^ The art is also cute and it has cats!
[quote name="Enaevy" date="2021-08-30 03:49:43" ] [quote name="Seespotbitejane" date="2021-08-29 23:48:59" ] Yuri on Ice. Just a sweet gay romance. Plus the English dub is really good. [/quote] I was thinking about this one, but from what i remember there was at least one guy that was a little too sexual, especially one scene in particular, so might still be too much fan service? But it's been a while since i watched it [/quote] There are a lot of butts ([s]just like in actual figure skating[/s]). I'll give it that. I don't know that I'd characterize it as "fan service" though (admittedly this might be splitting hairs), just because it's all sincerely character driven. Like Viktor comes on a little strong in the first couple eps but it turns out that's not out of nowhere. Christophe is a horn dog though, no way around that, but not in a way that feels exploitative to me. YMMV.
Enaevy wrote on 2021-08-30 03:49:43:
Seespotbitejane wrote on 2021-08-29 23:48:59:
Yuri on Ice. Just a sweet gay romance. Plus the English dub is really good.

I was thinking about this one, but from what i remember there was at least one guy that was a little too sexual, especially one scene in particular, so might still be too much fan service? But it's been a while since i watched it

There are a lot of butts (just like in actual figure skating). I'll give it that. I don't know that I'd characterize it as "fan service" though (admittedly this might be splitting hairs), just because it's all sincerely character driven. Like Viktor comes on a little strong in the first couple eps but it turns out that's not out of nowhere. Christophe is a horn dog though, no way around that, but not in a way that feels exploitative to me. YMMV.
jt3PpxV.png
[quote name="Seespotbitejane" date="2021-08-30 13:04:27" ] [quote name="Enaevy" date="2021-08-30 03:49:43" ] [quote name="Seespotbitejane" date="2021-08-29 23:48:59" ] Yuri on Ice. Just a sweet gay romance. Plus the English dub is really good. [/quote] I was thinking about this one, but from what i remember there was at least one guy that was a little too sexual, especially one scene in particular, so might still be too much fan service? But it's been a while since i watched it [/quote] There are a lot of butts ([s]just like in actual figure skating[/s]). I'll give it that. I don't know that I'd characterize it as "fan service" though (admittedly this might be splitting hairs), just because it's all sincerely character driven. Like Viktor comes on a little strong in the first couple eps but it turns out that's not out of nowhere. Christophe is a horn dog though, no way around that, but not in a way that feels exploitative to me. YMMV. [/quote] i mean it is definitely a milder one, it's not too much in your face, except in my opinion when Christophe is ice skating, but i'm mostly refering to one scene in particular of him that i don't even know if i'm allowed to mention on here ^^´
Seespotbitejane wrote on 2021-08-30 13:04:27:
Enaevy wrote on 2021-08-30 03:49:43:
Seespotbitejane wrote on 2021-08-29 23:48:59:
Yuri on Ice. Just a sweet gay romance. Plus the English dub is really good.

I was thinking about this one, but from what i remember there was at least one guy that was a little too sexual, especially one scene in particular, so might still be too much fan service? But it's been a while since i watched it

There are a lot of butts (just like in actual figure skating). I'll give it that. I don't know that I'd characterize it as "fan service" though (admittedly this might be splitting hairs), just because it's all sincerely character driven. Like Viktor comes on a little strong in the first couple eps but it turns out that's not out of nowhere. Christophe is a horn dog though, no way around that, but not in a way that feels exploitative to me. YMMV.

i mean it is definitely a milder one, it's not too much in your face, except in my opinion when Christophe is ice skating, but i'm mostly refering to one scene in particular of him that i don't even know if i'm allowed to mention on here ^^´
VBvWbv1.png
eswSnrS.png
bYt72YT.png
PRICTGJ.png
ckAgcPc.png
Hello!
Feel free to dm me if you wanna chat!

I'm pretty chill and some of my favorite things are: Games, animals, art and collecting

dEe2UrM.png
6OezIjj.png
3B15OeM.png
4kekx4D.png
YMPbu9R.png
Soul eater was one of my firsts! Bungo Stray Dogs is very good as well
Soul eater was one of my firsts! Bungo Stray Dogs is very good as well
p3jdzi4.png
I started out watching Hunter x Hunter, although it is kinda long but it's also really fun and not too much filler from what I remember. If you're looking for something on the shorter side then I recommend Mob Psycho 100 and Dr. Stone.

If they do end up watching/liking Hunter x Hunter, I would also recommend Demon Slayer and Black Clover! (And possibly Jujutsu Kaisen based on the few episodes I've seen)
I started out watching Hunter x Hunter, although it is kinda long but it's also really fun and not too much filler from what I remember. If you're looking for something on the shorter side then I recommend Mob Psycho 100 and Dr. Stone.

If they do end up watching/liking Hunter x Hunter, I would also recommend Demon Slayer and Black Clover! (And possibly Jujutsu Kaisen based on the few episodes I've seen)
NSZvCod.png
OxagJgG.png
mlHpBMC.png
WvtW9EF.png
As others have pointed out, anime is a medium not a genre! However, I can recommend some anime based on what genre they fall under.

For a good shonen (action adventure, traditionally targeted towards teenage boys) anime, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a good first anime, BUT it also makes you develop high standards for everything else in the medium. It's a good starting point though.

As for shojo (more slice of life style, usually targeted to girls) anime, I have to say that Girl's Monthly Nozaki-kun is a win from me. I haven't watched it the whole way through, but I have to say that I liked what I saw of it!
As others have pointed out, anime is a medium not a genre! However, I can recommend some anime based on what genre they fall under.

For a good shonen (action adventure, traditionally targeted towards teenage boys) anime, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a good first anime, BUT it also makes you develop high standards for everything else in the medium. It's a good starting point though.

As for shojo (more slice of life style, usually targeted to girls) anime, I have to say that Girl's Monthly Nozaki-kun is a win from me. I haven't watched it the whole way through, but I have to say that I liked what I saw of it!
AvatarofAkatosh-cropped.png I tried to make an aesthetic signature but it broke :(
Ancient Magus Bride.
Ancient Magus Bride.
73127854.png
Lonely, shy & in need of friends? Read Misaki's Bio.

Item Wishlist | [LF] Pearl XXY/XYY G1 (M), Sanguine XXY, XYY G1 (M)
Lemme see...

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.
91 Days
Erased
To Your Eternity
Arslan Senki
Deca-dence
Id:Invaded
Astra Lost in Space
Blood Blockade Battlefront (miiiight be a little too on the weird side? But thought I'd throw it in there)
Darker Than Black (maybe? it's been a long time since I've seen it so I don't remember if there's anything that would be too off-putting for someone new to anime)
How to Keep a Mummy
Talentless Nana
Shadows House
Girls' Last Tour (There is a scene where the girls go swimming and one of them is swimming nude, but it's not portrayed in a fanservice-y way if I recall)
Usagi Drop (just stay away from the manga for this one lol)
Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song
World trigger (a personal fav but I've seen people say that they found the first season a bit of a slog, and there's also an anime original arc in there that most didn't particularly like)
The Promised Neverland (season 1 specifically)
Laid-Back Camp

Uh disclaimer that my memory's not always the best when it comes to recalling specific parts of a show (like 'was there fanservice in this or nah?') And especially since I haven't seen some of these in a long time, but I think they should probably be fine for a beginner, if not all then at least some :thinking emoji:
Lemme see...

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.
91 Days
Erased
To Your Eternity
Arslan Senki
Deca-dence
Id:Invaded
Astra Lost in Space
Blood Blockade Battlefront (miiiight be a little too on the weird side? But thought I'd throw it in there)
Darker Than Black (maybe? it's been a long time since I've seen it so I don't remember if there's anything that would be too off-putting for someone new to anime)
How to Keep a Mummy
Talentless Nana
Shadows House
Girls' Last Tour (There is a scene where the girls go swimming and one of them is swimming nude, but it's not portrayed in a fanservice-y way if I recall)
Usagi Drop (just stay away from the manga for this one lol)
Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song
World trigger (a personal fav but I've seen people say that they found the first season a bit of a slog, and there's also an anime original arc in there that most didn't particularly like)
The Promised Neverland (season 1 specifically)
Laid-Back Camp

Uh disclaimer that my memory's not always the best when it comes to recalling specific parts of a show (like 'was there fanservice in this or nah?') And especially since I haven't seen some of these in a long time, but I think they should probably be fine for a beginner, if not all then at least some :thinking emoji:
tumblr_petjqu6l6D1uz135no8_500.gif
One Punch Man is a recent favorite of mine. Hilarious, awesome music, great fight scenes.
One Punch Man is a recent favorite of mine. Hilarious, awesome music, great fight scenes.
nZzzLxJ.png Horror aesthetic/lore lair
Weird goblin hermit
She/Her
.......................... Massive Horror fan
Gamer
Writer
zwGyDvx.png
haikyu!! it's about a high school volleyball team. it's easy to jump into, and has amazing animation, music, and story! the characters go through so much great character development and seeing rivalries between the teams is incredible. i was hesitant to start it at first since i know [i]nothing[/i] about sports but it's so well written and now it's my all-time favourite anime. i would recommend it to anyone! (edit: i definitely recommend the sub over the dub! the sub is 10x better imo :D) [img]https://monophy.com/media/VIiahZxXYk6e4/monophy.gif[/img]
haikyu!! it's about a high school volleyball team. it's easy to jump into, and has amazing animation, music, and story! the characters go through so much great character development and seeing rivalries between the teams is incredible. i was hesitant to start it at first since i know nothing about sports but it's so well written and now it's my all-time favourite anime. i would recommend it to anyone!
(edit: i definitely recommend the sub over the dub! the sub is 10x better imo :D)

monophy.gif
kai

iuEBSJ3.png7ntZZGM.pngpZJYyk4.png
hZipXGO.pngwh3Tiip.pngcZOnhJ9.pngn17QGji.png
1 2 3 4