Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Are ancients unpopular?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I just use UMAs to make them look pretty. Apparel isn't needed at all. :)
I just use UMAs to make them look pretty. Apparel isn't needed at all. :)
CFFUclk.png ---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
---•----•----•----•----•----•----•----•---•----•---
{100 Generations Challenge}
c4a5xZL.png
i like ancient breeds, but i do have to admit that the lack of customizability makes them hard for me to work with.

even though they can have neat line-breaking terts, they often clash with skins/accents, making them even harder to customize. skins/accents themselves are fairly limited, too, being limited by line and shadow rules + having to keep the dragon's silhouette untouched.

if they could have skins/accents that break the silhouette and line/shadow rules (layering much like a piece of apparel over the dragon, just using the player-powered skin/accent system) then i could see myself using them much more. as it is though, i'll probably only use them for specific fandragons.
i like ancient breeds, but i do have to admit that the lack of customizability makes them hard for me to work with.

even though they can have neat line-breaking terts, they often clash with skins/accents, making them even harder to customize. skins/accents themselves are fairly limited, too, being limited by line and shadow rules + having to keep the dragon's silhouette untouched.

if they could have skins/accents that break the silhouette and line/shadow rules (layering much like a piece of apparel over the dragon, just using the player-powered skin/accent system) then i could see myself using them much more. as it is though, i'll probably only use them for specific fandragons.
bab.png
Mmm... I don’t think they’re unpopular. There’s folks who don’t like them sure, but there’s plenty of those that do. Are they worth anything on the market anymore? No, but unless it’s the brandy new thing no dragon is worth much anyway. They’re still bred and bought like any other. Just right now everyone’s shifted to Obs so there isn’t as much hype about them at the moment. Once the next one is out we’ll see a jump in ancient hype I’m sure.

I prefer them because I don’t like apparel. Most of the apparel doesn’t fit right or doesn’t look right, there’s countless ‘errors’, and there’s this like pressure that if your dragon isn’t dressed it isn’t ‘good’- ancients remove that feeling entirely. They’re also waaaay cheaper to gene which helps when you’ve got a huge pile of projects slowly accumulating.
Mmm... I don’t think they’re unpopular. There’s folks who don’t like them sure, but there’s plenty of those that do. Are they worth anything on the market anymore? No, but unless it’s the brandy new thing no dragon is worth much anyway. They’re still bred and bought like any other. Just right now everyone’s shifted to Obs so there isn’t as much hype about them at the moment. Once the next one is out we’ll see a jump in ancient hype I’m sure.

I prefer them because I don’t like apparel. Most of the apparel doesn’t fit right or doesn’t look right, there’s countless ‘errors’, and there’s this like pressure that if your dragon isn’t dressed it isn’t ‘good’- ancients remove that feeling entirely. They’re also waaaay cheaper to gene which helps when you’ve got a huge pile of projects slowly accumulating.
Hjönk Hjönk Am Goose
Ancients are just diet moderns, change my mind
Ancients are just diet moderns, change my mind
swip.png - hi! i'm cassie.
- my pronouns are she/her.
- my timezone is fr+3.
I personally love Gaolers and Veils just for the sake that I think they are cute and pretty. Banescale are cool when done right, like this [url=https://www1.flightrising.com/dragon/54740835][img]https://www1.flightrising.com/rendern/350/547409/54740835_350.png[/img][/url]
I personally love Gaolers and Veils just for the sake that I think they are cute and pretty. Banescale are cool when done right, like this
54740835_350.png
Hey I'm Helix|+2 FR Time| I collect Jade/Obsidian dragons regardless of the tert or Gen Check out my Accent shop!
The ancients are kind've hard to work with tbh. Especially with customizing them. There are plenty of skins and accents to chose from but they sometimes just clash with the genes.
I don't personally have them in my lair because I like dressing dragons. That's not to say that I don't like the ancients tho. But something else is that they don't bring in the same amount of profits. They don't get exalt bonuses and their genes are much cheaper than modern genes. So in my eyes they aren't as special.
Any dragon technically can make no profits but idk.
The ancients are kind've hard to work with tbh. Especially with customizing them. There are plenty of skins and accents to chose from but they sometimes just clash with the genes.
I don't personally have them in my lair because I like dressing dragons. That's not to say that I don't like the ancients tho. But something else is that they don't bring in the same amount of profits. They don't get exalt bonuses and their genes are much cheaper than modern genes. So in my eyes they aren't as special.
Any dragon technically can make no profits but idk.
tsKE8q5.png 11nVSmV.png

LF Vibrant Dragons

Art Dump!

Tot's Extra Dergs

IlQRgS6.png

While I don't think ancients are as popular as modern breeds, there are some things about their limitations that I enjoy.

I tend to put a lot more effort of resources into selecting and designing their genes, and I feel like the breed specific and line breaking genes add unique and interesting designs that set them apart from modern breeds. Genes like shardflank, skeletal, and branches really lean into certain aesthetic just as much if not more than some apparel does.

The second thing I really enjoy with ancients is the wide variety of UMAs that have been made. There are so many options and colors and concepts that are simply gorgeous! UMAs for ancients is also cheaper than for modern breeds. While its still a pretty gem to purchase, the amount spent on apparel is comparable (depending on the outfit).

I think what really makes or breaks a ancient is its overall design and aesthetic. While banes don't really appeal to me too much, veilspuns completely changed my veiw on ancients.

Ultimately, I think they add a different style of play for the site and that's something really enjoyable about them. ^^
While I don't think ancients are as popular as modern breeds, there are some things about their limitations that I enjoy.

I tend to put a lot more effort of resources into selecting and designing their genes, and I feel like the breed specific and line breaking genes add unique and interesting designs that set them apart from modern breeds. Genes like shardflank, skeletal, and branches really lean into certain aesthetic just as much if not more than some apparel does.

The second thing I really enjoy with ancients is the wide variety of UMAs that have been made. There are so many options and colors and concepts that are simply gorgeous! UMAs for ancients is also cheaper than for modern breeds. While its still a pretty gem to purchase, the amount spent on apparel is comparable (depending on the outfit).

I think what really makes or breaks a ancient is its overall design and aesthetic. While banes don't really appeal to me too much, veilspuns completely changed my veiw on ancients.

Ultimately, I think they add a different style of play for the site and that's something really enjoyable about them. ^^
py6UVcW.gif
oMclmEv.gif
zNQIhH1.gif
lINlp3z.png
mbFbR5h.png
fg2i3dr.png
Wpb3gEc.png
As always, it completely depends on the buyer. While I have seen LF threads where buyers have explicitly stated that they will not buy Ancients because of the inability to dress them, I feel that those buyers are a small minority. Or at least, they're balanced out by all the other buyers actively looking for Ancient breeds to buy.

Personally, I think the problem with Ancient breeds is that right now they're hampered by the fact that only a limited number of genes are available to them. Even though Ancient breeds do have some rather unique and desirable genes (Blossom Gaolers, Wraith Banescales, and Diaphanous Veilspuns for example), it's just not enough compared to Moderns who not only have 95% of the gene catalogue available to them but can also be dressed.

Ancient breeds are kinda stuck in the place where Modern breeds were back in 2013-14, where very limited number of genes meant that there was only so many looks you could create before everything started feeling the same. You have no idea how thrilled I was when Ancients finally got access to the Stained gene because right now the only way to create unique and marketable Ancients is to focus on colour. Because if you can't afford accents/skins (currently the only way you can customize your Ancients), then the only other option that can make an Ancient desirable on the market is it's particular gene/colour combo.

Time will tell if Ancients will eventually get access to more of the Modern gene catalogue. I really hope that our Ancients will get more line-breaking genes, which was one of their major selling points as something Moderns don't have (with the exception of Gembond and Spines). But right now Ancients just need more genes in general (especially terts) if they want to compete on the market with Modern breeds.

I mean, take a look at the reaction of players following the release of Obelisks. There were a lot of players who felt like Obelisks were superior design-wise compared to Tundras, which funny enough was the same kind of sentiment people had towards Gaolers when they released. But unlike Gaolers, Obelisks can be dressed. I would not be surprised if a ton of players have not only converted their Tundras over to Obelisks but also Gaolers. Gaolers just don't have a lot of unique genes that would make them more desirable over a Modern like Obelisks.

But in some ways, Ancient breeds were always going to be niche and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Snappers, Ridgebacks, Tundras, Mirrors, and Bogsneaks are well known to be some of the most unpopular breeds and thus very difficult to sell to the general market; but if you go to places like Dragon Share, you will see very passionate fans of these breeds. Ancient breeds also have their fans despite their limitations. And to be honest, unless you're in the dragon selling/hatchery business, it really doesn't matter if a breed is unpopular or not.
As always, it completely depends on the buyer. While I have seen LF threads where buyers have explicitly stated that they will not buy Ancients because of the inability to dress them, I feel that those buyers are a small minority. Or at least, they're balanced out by all the other buyers actively looking for Ancient breeds to buy.

Personally, I think the problem with Ancient breeds is that right now they're hampered by the fact that only a limited number of genes are available to them. Even though Ancient breeds do have some rather unique and desirable genes (Blossom Gaolers, Wraith Banescales, and Diaphanous Veilspuns for example), it's just not enough compared to Moderns who not only have 95% of the gene catalogue available to them but can also be dressed.

Ancient breeds are kinda stuck in the place where Modern breeds were back in 2013-14, where very limited number of genes meant that there was only so many looks you could create before everything started feeling the same. You have no idea how thrilled I was when Ancients finally got access to the Stained gene because right now the only way to create unique and marketable Ancients is to focus on colour. Because if you can't afford accents/skins (currently the only way you can customize your Ancients), then the only other option that can make an Ancient desirable on the market is it's particular gene/colour combo.

Time will tell if Ancients will eventually get access to more of the Modern gene catalogue. I really hope that our Ancients will get more line-breaking genes, which was one of their major selling points as something Moderns don't have (with the exception of Gembond and Spines). But right now Ancients just need more genes in general (especially terts) if they want to compete on the market with Modern breeds.

I mean, take a look at the reaction of players following the release of Obelisks. There were a lot of players who felt like Obelisks were superior design-wise compared to Tundras, which funny enough was the same kind of sentiment people had towards Gaolers when they released. But unlike Gaolers, Obelisks can be dressed. I would not be surprised if a ton of players have not only converted their Tundras over to Obelisks but also Gaolers. Gaolers just don't have a lot of unique genes that would make them more desirable over a Modern like Obelisks.

But in some ways, Ancient breeds were always going to be niche and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Snappers, Ridgebacks, Tundras, Mirrors, and Bogsneaks are well known to be some of the most unpopular breeds and thus very difficult to sell to the general market; but if you go to places like Dragon Share, you will see very passionate fans of these breeds. Ancient breeds also have their fans despite their limitations. And to be honest, unless you're in the dragon selling/hatchery business, it really doesn't matter if a breed is unpopular or not.
YrlvOd9.pngQ47Y0lm.png
I think Ancients aren't [i]too[/i] unpopular, but people aren't really clamoring for them either anymore. I like Ancients a fair bit because they're cheaper overall, especially for stuff like G1 projects. I don't mind the trade off of apparel for things such as unique genes. Some Ancients don't really appear suited for apparel. Banescales in clothes would be like chickens in sweaters [emoji=banescale scared size=1]. The weird apparel workarounds for Tundies would be multiplied by 10 for Gaolers with how fluffy they are. I just like Ancients as they are c: Ancients are nice middle ground to breach the gap between Modern releases. After all, they're the appetizers we get before each Modern main dish!
I think Ancients aren't too unpopular, but people aren't really clamoring for them either anymore. I like Ancients a fair bit because they're cheaper overall, especially for stuff like G1 projects. I don't mind the trade off of apparel for things such as unique genes. Some Ancients don't really appear suited for apparel. Banescales in clothes would be like chickens in sweaters . The weird apparel workarounds for Tundies would be multiplied by 10 for Gaolers with how fluffy they are. I just like Ancients as they are c:

Ancients are nice middle ground to breach the gap between Modern releases. After all, they're the appetizers we get before each Modern main dish!
25762.png frame-0-delay-0-1s-1.png
I have a few Ancients, but I definitely prefer Moderns over them. Their tiny selection of genes and lack of apparel make them kinda boring to work with. I know skins and accents exist, but I dislike using them.

Their genes take up all the space in the Marketplace, as well. With more Ancients on the way, it’s only going to get worse. I hope they eventually move Ancient genes to a separate tab, because sooner or later, finding Modern genes is going to be a real pain.

I have a few Ancients, but I definitely prefer Moderns over them. Their tiny selection of genes and lack of apparel make them kinda boring to work with. I know skins and accents exist, but I dislike using them.

Their genes take up all the space in the Marketplace, as well. With more Ancients on the way, it’s only going to get worse. I hope they eventually move Ancient genes to a separate tab, because sooner or later, finding Modern genes is going to be a real pain.

5255079-8Mmx39RQgBpdGm07.jpg
1 2 3 4 5 6 7