Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Hubris with rodent? Rabies shots at 2am.
[img] https://i.imgflip.com/5b6ixm.jpg[/img] Eeeeeeeeey. Welcome to the misadventures of Cryptidove Ever fly too high like Icarus? I do!! Thought the cute little thing in my garden wouldn’t hurt me, little jerk drew blood. I had to get 3 shots at 3am. One was the length of my hand. Share with this Bobo the clown ur mess ups lmaooo
5b6ixm.jpg
Eeeeeeeeey.
Welcome to the misadventures of Cryptidove
Ever fly too high like Icarus? I do!!

Thought the cute little thing in my garden wouldn’t hurt me, little jerk drew blood.
I had to get 3 shots at 3am. One was the length of my hand.

Share with this Bobo the clown ur mess ups lmaooo
dove_cryptidove.pngfkWjutW.png5c15bb999532f9391109728396a638d13602f294.png
this totally sounds like something that would happen to me LOL

just last summer actually I found a live bat in my mom's apartment and attempted to rescue it. i grabbed a towel to toss over it so i didn't have to touch it - the friggin thing bit me and then literally died in my hands as i was walking it outside. i ended up calling animal control and they came and picked it up and sent it to state testing to be tested for rabies and i got the rabies shots LOL. it turned out to not even have rabies too
this totally sounds like something that would happen to me LOL

just last summer actually I found a live bat in my mom's apartment and attempted to rescue it. i grabbed a towel to toss over it so i didn't have to touch it - the friggin thing bit me and then literally died in my hands as i was walking it outside. i ended up calling animal control and they came and picked it up and sent it to state testing to be tested for rabies and i got the rabies shots LOL. it turned out to not even have rabies too
Oh no! :( Maybe you should invest in a pair of rodent huntin' gloves or something.
Oh no! :( Maybe you should invest in a pair of rodent huntin' gloves or something.
tundra monolair (except when i'm not)
201576c98bceb8a8f26f4f51d994188f4d69cc59.gif5be2f71663585fac901386458cef7c37ddb9502e.gif
Uh. Rodents have a near zero chance of transferring rabies to humans. Some have an absolutely zero chance. The risk is so low it's negligible. Either what you found wasn't actually a rodent, or the place you went to is giving you shots you don't need.

Also don't handle any mammal without gloves what were you thinking doing that anyway? Rabies non-risk aside.
Uh. Rodents have a near zero chance of transferring rabies to humans. Some have an absolutely zero chance. The risk is so low it's negligible. Either what you found wasn't actually a rodent, or the place you went to is giving you shots you don't need.

Also don't handle any mammal without gloves what were you thinking doing that anyway? Rabies non-risk aside.
Even if you say "it was a rodent" I think most places would prefer to assume any mammal bite is probable rabies exposure as the alternative without post-exposure vaccination is...really awful, no return prospects. The rabies treatment is defintiely preferable.

Definitely always wear gloves! I hope your rabies treatment is relatively not painful and your bite heals up quickly!
Even if you say "it was a rodent" I think most places would prefer to assume any mammal bite is probable rabies exposure as the alternative without post-exposure vaccination is...really awful, no return prospects. The rabies treatment is defintiely preferable.

Definitely always wear gloves! I hope your rabies treatment is relatively not painful and your bite heals up quickly!
raccoon.png
My mom once sent me a video of her rescuing a bat from a rain barrel using one of those big soup spoons.
My mom once sent me a video of her rescuing a bat from a rain barrel using one of those big soup spoons.
c1xnUU3.png
JrZGMGx.png4SzSxLW.pngHouhGS9.pngwCOCqt3.pngbYt72YT.pngFObX7rS.png
I have five rodents, rats to be specific. "They don't bite", people said. They do.
I have five rodents, rats to be specific. "They don't bite", people said. They do.
I will
give you DRAGONS for MONEY
HQevuOP.png Sell me
your
dragons!

(Anyone got an XXX tarnish G1?)
I, too, have rodents. 3 guinea pigs, and people genuinely think they don’t bite because they’re cute or something. One particular one really enjoys taking chunks of flesh out of my fingers/fingernails. Still love em, but you don’t frick around with rabies.
I, too, have rodents. 3 guinea pigs, and people genuinely think they don’t bite because they’re cute or something. One particular one really enjoys taking chunks of flesh out of my fingers/fingernails. Still love em, but you don’t frick around with rabies.
tumblr_otmyhkjv3F1v8lm95o3_75sq.gif
「 Social Anxiety 」
「 Any pronouns 」
「 Wishlist 」
tumblr_otmyhkjv3F1v8lm95o4_75sq.gif ligneus_cuon.png
[quote name="Giganotus" date="2021-05-27 17:14:46" ] Uh. Rodents have a near zero chance of transferring rabies to humans. Some have an absolutely zero chance. The risk is so low it's negligible. Either what you found wasn't actually a rodent, or the place you went to is giving you shots you don't need. Also don't handle any mammal without gloves what were you thinking doing that anyway? Rabies non-risk aside. [/quote] The problem is even if you can get the animal tested for rabies (which iirc means it has to be dead and they look at slices of its brain) by the time the test results come back the rabies shots for humans will be less effective if effective at all since the longer you're infected the less chance the shots will work. Rather than wait pretty much any medical facility will treat any unidentified animal bite needing rabies shots. Unless you can 100% identify the animal via photos or animal control got it and can identify it they're gonna give you rabies shots to be better safe than sorry. If you don't have rabies the shots don't do much but hurt, but if they do then they can save your life. But yes, do not touch *any* wild animal without gloves. My one cousin who lives in the country carries literal welders gloves in his truck because he runs across animals so often and no matter what it is the rule is no bare hand touching, period.
Giganotus wrote on 2021-05-27 17:14:46:

The problem is even if you can get the animal tested for rabies (which iirc means it has to be dead and they look at slices of its brain) by the time the test results come back the rabies shots for humans will be less effective if effective at all since the longer you're infected the less chance the shots will work.

Rather than wait pretty much any medical facility will treat any unidentified animal bite needing rabies shots. Unless you can 100% identify the animal via photos or animal control got it and can identify it they're gonna give you rabies shots to be better safe than sorry. If you don't have rabies the shots don't do much but hurt, but if they do then they can save your life.

But yes, do not touch *any* wild animal without gloves. My one cousin who lives in the country carries literal welders gloves in his truck because he runs across animals so often and no matter what it is the rule is no bare hand touching, period.
TW8ViqF.pngrix3ppo.png
Pings Welcome! Especially if you're quoting me XD
ohhh I feel this. I have owned... many rodents in the past, and am known by the family as a tree hugger for rescuing animals. I have dogged having to get a rabies shot though- I ALWAYS toss a towel over the animal before grabbing to keep them calm and keep my hands safe. Which... is a lesson I learned after trying to catch a vole to save it from some teenage boys and ended up with a bad gash on my hand lol. Still held onto it and still released it later once the boys left lol.

In general though... as much as I LOVE wild animals, its important to avoid handling them unless absolutely necessary. Take photos, rescue them if they need it, but otherwise try to impact them as little as possible.
ohhh I feel this. I have owned... many rodents in the past, and am known by the family as a tree hugger for rescuing animals. I have dogged having to get a rabies shot though- I ALWAYS toss a towel over the animal before grabbing to keep them calm and keep my hands safe. Which... is a lesson I learned after trying to catch a vole to save it from some teenage boys and ended up with a bad gash on my hand lol. Still held onto it and still released it later once the boys left lol.

In general though... as much as I LOVE wild animals, its important to avoid handling them unless absolutely necessary. Take photos, rescue them if they need it, but otherwise try to impact them as little as possible.
98bf1699ec3a8a9904ee0a7db6e28469c9948a3c.gif