Back

Roleplay

Tell stories and roleplay in the world of Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Home for the Non-Humans(CLOSED)
1 2 3 4
@inhumanelm @Arkham @Serph @analinpugsly @MissSalad @Kaylamadayla @rexerei

James blinked at the newcomer as the Dullahan relaxed. Ill-fitting shoes, a jacket with the hood pulled up, and awkward sunglasses... the kid was hiding some sort of bodily difference, that was for sure. James decided not to press. If he was a non-human, he'd let them know if he wanted to. The two of them were pretty obvious about their own lack of humanity.

"You see that door there?" James said to the kid, pointing behind the front desk. "There's a kitchen through there. You can use the tap. It's good water, if you're into that kind of thing." James tried not to be too obvious, but come on. The kid straight up smelled like fish. He'd bet his left horn there were fins under that hood.

James sighed. At least the present situation had been resolved.

"He was friends with my father," he said, turning back to the girl. "I never knew him well, but they went way back. Used to go on hunting trips together or something like that. Pa talked a lot about him, but of course I was young so I never listened. Old Bloody Mary out back is a gift from him. She won't come if you say her name three times, though. She'll just whinny at you and keep eating oats."

James blinked at the newcomer as the Dullahan relaxed. Ill-fitting shoes, a jacket with the hood pulled up, and awkward sunglasses... the kid was hiding some sort of bodily difference, that was for sure. James decided not to press. If he was a non-human, he'd let them know if he wanted to. The two of them were pretty obvious about their own lack of humanity.

"You see that door there?" James said to the kid, pointing behind the front desk. "There's a kitchen through there. You can use the tap. It's good water, if you're into that kind of thing." James tried not to be too obvious, but come on. The kid straight up smelled like fish. He'd bet his left horn there were fins under that hood.

James sighed. At least the present situation had been resolved.

"He was friends with my father," he said, turning back to the girl. "I never knew him well, but they went way back. Used to go on hunting trips together or something like that. Pa talked a lot about him, but of course I was young so I never listened. Old Bloody Mary out back is a gift from him. She won't come if you say her name three times, though. She'll just whinny at you and keep eating oats."
steam: Eliot
origin: riddlemesam
add me!!

Briar's Garden (art shop)
@briarmoss @inhumanelm @Arkham @Serph @analinpugsly @MissSalad @Kaylamadayla

Ginger's legs swayed unevenly, tapping against the bark of the tree, then dangling over the grass, about 10 feet below, then returning to tap the trunk once more. Coarse dark fur covered the appendages in motion, a long, shaggy tail moving side to side ever so slightly in response to the stretch and contraction of each leg. Their eyes were focused on the house just up the way, watching the newcomers the way they had for the past few days. Ginger was by no means shy, but curious? Absolutely. The creatures they'd seen left their mouth hanging open, uneven teeth jutting out as a crooked, excited smile grew. They nodded once, twice, three times, a sign that a decision had been made, then pushed themselves off the tree limb where'd they'd been observing for as long as they'd been able to sit still. That is to say, for about twenty minutes.

They hit the ground lightly, emulated paws taking most of the shock of the fall, and bent knees and hands thrown into the dirt for balance catching the rest. Ginger dragged a hand across they're nose, rubbing a line of dirt across their cheek. The tail wagged back and forth enthusiastically as they made their way up the path, looking all around the trees to catch glimpses of the songbirds there. It seemed like something was going on in the building, through the doorway- albeit from a distance, it looked like someone was missing their head- then they reattached it! Just like that! Wide brown eyes blinked twice. "Woah." Ginger murmured quietly, still a short distance from the cottage proper.

Ginger's legs swayed unevenly, tapping against the bark of the tree, then dangling over the grass, about 10 feet below, then returning to tap the trunk once more. Coarse dark fur covered the appendages in motion, a long, shaggy tail moving side to side ever so slightly in response to the stretch and contraction of each leg. Their eyes were focused on the house just up the way, watching the newcomers the way they had for the past few days. Ginger was by no means shy, but curious? Absolutely. The creatures they'd seen left their mouth hanging open, uneven teeth jutting out as a crooked, excited smile grew. They nodded once, twice, three times, a sign that a decision had been made, then pushed themselves off the tree limb where'd they'd been observing for as long as they'd been able to sit still. That is to say, for about twenty minutes.

They hit the ground lightly, emulated paws taking most of the shock of the fall, and bent knees and hands thrown into the dirt for balance catching the rest. Ginger dragged a hand across they're nose, rubbing a line of dirt across their cheek. The tail wagged back and forth enthusiastically as they made their way up the path, looking all around the trees to catch glimpses of the songbirds there. It seemed like something was going on in the building, through the doorway- albeit from a distance, it looked like someone was missing their head- then they reattached it! Just like that! Wide brown eyes blinked twice. "Woah." Ginger murmured quietly, still a short distance from the cottage proper.
tumblr_inline_n7b18wqf9P1sgcbz8.png
@inhumanelm @Arkham @briarmoss @analinpugsly @MissSalad @Kaylamadayla @rexerei

Rhode glanced at the recent arrival from the corner of her eye, trying her best not to openly stare. While she was interested in what exactly he was, her attention was more focused on something a little more pressing.

'He's huge.'

Rhode was among the shortest in her line, her predecessors having mostly been regal and lithe beings. Even next to her mentor, she'd only just managed to come up to his elbow. She'd often contemplated the idea that perhaps something had gone wrong when she'd been manifested, that perhaps there'd been some sort of mix up. But her mentor reassured her that he'd followed the ritual perfectly and that she was exactly how she was meant to be.

'Then why'd you cast me out...?'

She was pulled from her reverie by the proprietor's voice. At the mention of the old mare, she tilted her head thoughtfully; her own horse had been a descendant of the lady Mary. Returning her attention to James, she gave a shallow bow, the best she could manage in her current state.

"Please forgive my earlier rudeness. I did not know of your relation to my mentor."

Pulling the bandages from her pocket, she hesitantly held it out to James, averting her gaze in embarrassment.

"I-if the offer still stands, I would very much appreciate your assistance."

Rhode glanced at the recent arrival from the corner of her eye, trying her best not to openly stare. While she was interested in what exactly he was, her attention was more focused on something a little more pressing.

'He's huge.'

Rhode was among the shortest in her line, her predecessors having mostly been regal and lithe beings. Even next to her mentor, she'd only just managed to come up to his elbow. She'd often contemplated the idea that perhaps something had gone wrong when she'd been manifested, that perhaps there'd been some sort of mix up. But her mentor reassured her that he'd followed the ritual perfectly and that she was exactly how she was meant to be.

'Then why'd you cast me out...?'

She was pulled from her reverie by the proprietor's voice. At the mention of the old mare, she tilted her head thoughtfully; her own horse had been a descendant of the lady Mary. Returning her attention to James, she gave a shallow bow, the best she could manage in her current state.

"Please forgive my earlier rudeness. I did not know of your relation to my mentor."

Pulling the bandages from her pocket, she hesitantly held it out to James, averting her gaze in embarrassment.

"I-if the offer still stands, I would very much appreciate your assistance."
@inhumanelm @briarmoss @Serph @analinpugsly @MissSalad @Kaylamadayla @rexerei
Cato cleared his throat, feeling a bit anxious. He could sense the girl's watchful eyes on him, and if he was being honest, her beheaded state was a little unnerving. He glanced in her direction, his eyes still hidden by his thick framed sunglasses, but quickly turned his attention to the man.

"Thank you," Cato replied with a small smile before walking behind the counter. He once again knocked on the door and waited a few moments before walking in, since there was no reply. He absentmindedly wondered why humans had so many doors everywhere. How did they ever remember what was inside each room if they could never see into them...

He dropped this train of thought as he fiddled with the faucet handle. As he filled his water bottles, Cato considered whether or not it was safe to let his guard down. Clearly, the two other beings in this house weren't human, and he assumed they would probably accept him for what he was. Then again, he still wasn't sure what they were. He sighed, deciding it was worth a shot. Worst case scenario, he would have to escape the building and wander back out into the woods again, but that wouldn't really be so bad at all.

Cato removed his ridiculous sunglasses and pulled down the hood of his jacket. He blinked a few times, letting his dark eyes readjust to the light. Before leaving the kitchen, he dunked his head under the faucet and took a few drinks of the cool water. In case things went bad, he'd need to be at least a little bit hydrated to run away from the area. Finally, he turned off the stream of water and walked back out into the main room, where he stood sheepishly by the wall.
Cato cleared his throat, feeling a bit anxious. He could sense the girl's watchful eyes on him, and if he was being honest, her beheaded state was a little unnerving. He glanced in her direction, his eyes still hidden by his thick framed sunglasses, but quickly turned his attention to the man.

"Thank you," Cato replied with a small smile before walking behind the counter. He once again knocked on the door and waited a few moments before walking in, since there was no reply. He absentmindedly wondered why humans had so many doors everywhere. How did they ever remember what was inside each room if they could never see into them...

He dropped this train of thought as he fiddled with the faucet handle. As he filled his water bottles, Cato considered whether or not it was safe to let his guard down. Clearly, the two other beings in this house weren't human, and he assumed they would probably accept him for what he was. Then again, he still wasn't sure what they were. He sighed, deciding it was worth a shot. Worst case scenario, he would have to escape the building and wander back out into the woods again, but that wouldn't really be so bad at all.

Cato removed his ridiculous sunglasses and pulled down the hood of his jacket. He blinked a few times, letting his dark eyes readjust to the light. Before leaving the kitchen, he dunked his head under the faucet and took a few drinks of the cool water. In case things went bad, he'd need to be at least a little bit hydrated to run away from the area. Finally, he turned off the stream of water and walked back out into the main room, where he stood sheepishly by the wall.
uU0PD.giftumblr_inline_njw5ja1AaE1qg2i5p.giftyZnu.gif

Rory crouched in the shadows of the old house. His dark wings lay splayed out behind him, the white patches almost glowing in comparison to the black feathers. He felt nearly invisible in the shade, which was a good feeling. Hiding was his speciality, or, at least, he liked to think it was. His brilliantly red eyes had watched not one, but two non-humans pass into the building. If his counting was right, it had alright been a minute or two since they went in, and Rory had yet to hear any screams of terror. Maybe this place was legit. Focusing his gaze on the ground so he wouldn't be distracted, the harpy began counting the seconds until another minute had passed. It was the only way to be really sure it was safe. Or, at least kind of safe. Hopefully.

With a frustrated sigh at himself, Rory pushed himself up to his feet. Sitting out here and waiting was silly and he knew it. He was still bruised from being pushed out of the sky by that storm, and the crash landing he had. The only way to know this was the honest-to-goodness place was to check it out for himself. The harpy assumed his natural slump as he folded his wings up into place. Rory took a deep breath and puffed out his chest. 'Now or never,' he told himself as he blindly rushed out of his hiding place.

Rory crouched in the shadows of the old house. His dark wings lay splayed out behind him, the white patches almost glowing in comparison to the black feathers. He felt nearly invisible in the shade, which was a good feeling. Hiding was his speciality, or, at least, he liked to think it was. His brilliantly red eyes had watched not one, but two non-humans pass into the building. If his counting was right, it had alright been a minute or two since they went in, and Rory had yet to hear any screams of terror. Maybe this place was legit. Focusing his gaze on the ground so he wouldn't be distracted, the harpy began counting the seconds until another minute had passed. It was the only way to be really sure it was safe. Or, at least kind of safe. Hopefully.

With a frustrated sigh at himself, Rory pushed himself up to his feet. Sitting out here and waiting was silly and he knew it. He was still bruised from being pushed out of the sky by that storm, and the crash landing he had. The only way to know this was the honest-to-goodness place was to check it out for himself. The harpy assumed his natural slump as he folded his wings up into place. Rory took a deep breath and puffed out his chest. 'Now or never,' he told himself as he blindly rushed out of his hiding place.

James took the bandages with a smile and began to wrap them around the girl's neck, careful to be gentle and not pull too tight. He watched out of the corner of his eye as the boy came back in, his hood down and his sunglasses off. James had been right; he was an aquatic one.

"That should do it. Have you got a name?" he asked as he tucked the end of the bandage in to secure it. "You too," he said, looking over at the boy standing against the wall. "Don't look so shy. No one's going to bite. Or sting. I knew a fellow with a stinger once upon a time." James laughed a little. It made his tired face almost handsome. "And are you two here for rooms or did you just stumble in? We're all vacancies right now if you need a place to stay. I even cook. Though that might be reason itself to scare you off."

James took the bandages with a smile and began to wrap them around the girl's neck, careful to be gentle and not pull too tight. He watched out of the corner of his eye as the boy came back in, his hood down and his sunglasses off. James had been right; he was an aquatic one.

"That should do it. Have you got a name?" he asked as he tucked the end of the bandage in to secure it. "You too," he said, looking over at the boy standing against the wall. "Don't look so shy. No one's going to bite. Or sting. I knew a fellow with a stinger once upon a time." James laughed a little. It made his tired face almost handsome. "And are you two here for rooms or did you just stumble in? We're all vacancies right now if you need a place to stay. I even cook. Though that might be reason itself to scare you off."
steam: Eliot
origin: riddlemesam
add me!!

Briar's Garden (art shop)

With one hand securing her head, the other pinned her hair up and out of the way, making it easier for James to wrap the bandage. When he was done, she gave her head an experimental shake. Satisfied with his work, she gave him a nod of gratitude.

Before answering, she took a moment to appraise the male that had re-entered the room. Had her head not been on, the smoke would likely be flicking in irritation. The source of her irritation would most definitely be the fact that the membrane atop his head, no longer obscured by his hood, made him a good few inches taller. As he was now, he was as tall as the Horseman.

'Am I developing a complex...?' she silently wondered to herself in amusement before addressing the two men.

"I'm Rhododendron. I happened upon your... establishment," she hesitated, eyeing the rather run down interior in curiosity. "-by chance. I attracted a little too much attention among the humans and escaped into the forest."

Turning her full attention to her savior of sorts, she folded her hands together in her lap.

"I... don't have much money, but... If the the offer for a room still stands..."

Rhode bowed deeply.

"I'd work for room and board and I'm not picky about food!"

She was desperate for a place to stay. She'd been moving from place to place for the last thirty years and the prospect of spending more than a few days in a single place was more than a little appealing. Especially when that place had both a bed AND a meal.

She could hear the scuffle of feet a little ways outside. Thankful that her head was back in place, she felt more assured she wouldn't attract any unwanted staring should the visitor be human.

With one hand securing her head, the other pinned her hair up and out of the way, making it easier for James to wrap the bandage. When he was done, she gave her head an experimental shake. Satisfied with his work, she gave him a nod of gratitude.

Before answering, she took a moment to appraise the male that had re-entered the room. Had her head not been on, the smoke would likely be flicking in irritation. The source of her irritation would most definitely be the fact that the membrane atop his head, no longer obscured by his hood, made him a good few inches taller. As he was now, he was as tall as the Horseman.

'Am I developing a complex...?' she silently wondered to herself in amusement before addressing the two men.

"I'm Rhododendron. I happened upon your... establishment," she hesitated, eyeing the rather run down interior in curiosity. "-by chance. I attracted a little too much attention among the humans and escaped into the forest."

Turning her full attention to her savior of sorts, she folded her hands together in her lap.

"I... don't have much money, but... If the the offer for a room still stands..."

Rhode bowed deeply.

"I'd work for room and board and I'm not picky about food!"

She was desperate for a place to stay. She'd been moving from place to place for the last thirty years and the prospect of spending more than a few days in a single place was more than a little appealing. Especially when that place had both a bed AND a meal.

She could hear the scuffle of feet a little ways outside. Thankful that her head was back in place, she felt more assured she wouldn't attract any unwanted staring should the visitor be human.
"My name is Cato," The young man replied, bowing his head slightly in greeting. He was mildly curious about the story involving the man with the stinger, but he didn't question it.

"I also ended up here by accident," Cato sighed, crossing his arms. "I got a bit overzealous in my exploring and managed to get lost."

He mulled over the idea of staying for awhile. The assurance of safety in this well-hidden house was very comforting, but he was unsure how well he would fit in, even amongst those who faced similar prejudices from the human world. However, he would like to learn more about life on the surface world and the people here could certainly show him a bit about it... It was settled then; he'd stay for awhile.

"I would also like to stay, if I may," Cato stated. "I don't have much money either... At least, not the kind you use up here on the surface. I suppose I could work for my room as well, though I'm not sure I'll be of much use."

It was true that Cato lacked most skills that would be useful on land, but he'd only been a surface dweller for a little over a year now. He could and was willing to learn, and he hoped the man would give him a chance.
"My name is Cato," The young man replied, bowing his head slightly in greeting. He was mildly curious about the story involving the man with the stinger, but he didn't question it.

"I also ended up here by accident," Cato sighed, crossing his arms. "I got a bit overzealous in my exploring and managed to get lost."

He mulled over the idea of staying for awhile. The assurance of safety in this well-hidden house was very comforting, but he was unsure how well he would fit in, even amongst those who faced similar prejudices from the human world. However, he would like to learn more about life on the surface world and the people here could certainly show him a bit about it... It was settled then; he'd stay for awhile.

"I would also like to stay, if I may," Cato stated. "I don't have much money either... At least, not the kind you use up here on the surface. I suppose I could work for my room as well, though I'm not sure I'll be of much use."

It was true that Cato lacked most skills that would be useful on land, but he'd only been a surface dweller for a little over a year now. He could and was willing to learn, and he hoped the man would give him a chance.
uU0PD.giftumblr_inline_njw5ja1AaE1qg2i5p.giftyZnu.gif

It took a moment for Ginger to blink back to awareness, immediately stepping forward to investigate what was going on. Forward progress, however, was halted quite abruptly as they walked directly into someone, feathers filling their vision as they tipped back, landing on their rear with little damage. "Hey! Watch it-" As quickly as they blurted out their sentiments, they went silent, staring in awe at the sight before them.

Wings! Big, feathery, ruffly wings! None of the faefolk at their old home had birdy wings, and the Pookha rarely adopted the avian appendages, remaining thick-boned and too heavy for flight. Flying, however, had always fascinated Ginger, who would watch the wheeling, dancing crows in the parking lot at the minimall. "Are those real? Really, really real?!" They reached a dusty hand towards the wings, then remembered their manners and swiped the palm across their furred thigh. "'Scuze me! Can I- no, that's wrong, may I touch 'em?"

They half-heard the conversation going on, talking about work and lodging. Ginger could work, in fact, they loved work! Though, work to a Pookha was different from work to, well... most any other creature. Notorious trickster's, the average Poohk's day was not to be considered productive until at least five pranks had been accomplished. But, momentarily distracted from their introduction, their hand rocketed up. "I dunno what we're volunteering for, but me too!"

It took a moment for Ginger to blink back to awareness, immediately stepping forward to investigate what was going on. Forward progress, however, was halted quite abruptly as they walked directly into someone, feathers filling their vision as they tipped back, landing on their rear with little damage. "Hey! Watch it-" As quickly as they blurted out their sentiments, they went silent, staring in awe at the sight before them.

Wings! Big, feathery, ruffly wings! None of the faefolk at their old home had birdy wings, and the Pookha rarely adopted the avian appendages, remaining thick-boned and too heavy for flight. Flying, however, had always fascinated Ginger, who would watch the wheeling, dancing crows in the parking lot at the minimall. "Are those real? Really, really real?!" They reached a dusty hand towards the wings, then remembered their manners and swiped the palm across their furred thigh. "'Scuze me! Can I- no, that's wrong, may I touch 'em?"

They half-heard the conversation going on, talking about work and lodging. Ginger could work, in fact, they loved work! Though, work to a Pookha was different from work to, well... most any other creature. Notorious trickster's, the average Poohk's day was not to be considered productive until at least five pranks had been accomplished. But, momentarily distracted from their introduction, their hand rocketed up. "I dunno what we're volunteering for, but me too!"
tumblr_inline_n7b18wqf9P1sgcbz8.png
@briarmoss @inhumanelm @Arkham @Serph @analinpugsly @rexerei @Kaylamadayla

Rory moved forward full steam ahead, not wanting to run out of courage before making it to the door. The sudden ricochet backwards off a furry and slightly smaller than him object had him tripping over his own claws. Landing on the ground with a little fwump, his wings spread out instinctively to keep from being squashed. His feathers fluffed out and ruffled indignantly. He shook his curly-topped head to clear away the shock. Looking up, Rory's expression change from disgruntled confusion to surprise as his red eyes widened.

They were fae, no doubt about that, but exactly what kind was behind him. Rory blinked once, twice, and then shook his head again. This was enough excitement to last him a week. His gaze fell to the outstretched hand, and he slowly processed the strangers request.

"I...uh..sure? B-but don't pull on my feathers or anything, please."

'Volunteering?' Rory thought as he glanced over his shoulder at the house and then back at the stranger.

"I-I'm sorry, but, uh, who, uh, who are you, exactly?"
@briarmoss @inhumanelm @Arkham @Serph @analinpugsly @rexerei @Kaylamadayla

Rory moved forward full steam ahead, not wanting to run out of courage before making it to the door. The sudden ricochet backwards off a furry and slightly smaller than him object had him tripping over his own claws. Landing on the ground with a little fwump, his wings spread out instinctively to keep from being squashed. His feathers fluffed out and ruffled indignantly. He shook his curly-topped head to clear away the shock. Looking up, Rory's expression change from disgruntled confusion to surprise as his red eyes widened.

They were fae, no doubt about that, but exactly what kind was behind him. Rory blinked once, twice, and then shook his head again. This was enough excitement to last him a week. His gaze fell to the outstretched hand, and he slowly processed the strangers request.

"I...uh..sure? B-but don't pull on my feathers or anything, please."

'Volunteering?' Rory thought as he glanced over his shoulder at the house and then back at the stranger.

"I-I'm sorry, but, uh, who, uh, who are you, exactly?"
1 2 3 4