Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Laptop Help?
I have a Gateway that I was gifted two and a half years ago. My life is on here. Photos, art, personal information, etc. It runs perfectly, too! I can game on it, run a bunch of programs in the background, etc.

It's been having some problems lately though...

First off, I need a new screen and the only one that matches it is $60. I told a friend that I would pay him $40 to put it in for me. A few months ago, my younger brother dropped it onto my kitchen's tile floor and there are so many dead pixels on it. There's a giant white bar going straight down the middle that's about an inch thick. So already, that's $100 out the window.

Secondly, last night when I picked it up, it sounded like a part came lose and was hitting the fan inside of it. I shrugged it off and shut it down, but today it seems like the fan has just completely stopped working and it's already overheated three times. I have no idea what could be wrong, nor how much it would cost.

I hate Windows 8, so that's why I'm iffy on buying a new computer. What do you guys think would be better down the line though? Should I try to get this fixed by friends who know what they're doing and pay them, or should I just invest in a new computer?
I have a Gateway that I was gifted two and a half years ago. My life is on here. Photos, art, personal information, etc. It runs perfectly, too! I can game on it, run a bunch of programs in the background, etc.

It's been having some problems lately though...

First off, I need a new screen and the only one that matches it is $60. I told a friend that I would pay him $40 to put it in for me. A few months ago, my younger brother dropped it onto my kitchen's tile floor and there are so many dead pixels on it. There's a giant white bar going straight down the middle that's about an inch thick. So already, that's $100 out the window.

Secondly, last night when I picked it up, it sounded like a part came lose and was hitting the fan inside of it. I shrugged it off and shut it down, but today it seems like the fan has just completely stopped working and it's already overheated three times. I have no idea what could be wrong, nor how much it would cost.

I hate Windows 8, so that's why I'm iffy on buying a new computer. What do you guys think would be better down the line though? Should I try to get this fixed by friends who know what they're doing and pay them, or should I just invest in a new computer?
I guess it depends on what sort of money you have to spend, and how long you've had your current laptop. Is the battery life on it good? As for Windows 8...I hated the idea of it at first, but with the newest update it boots to the regular desktop, and now I barely even know I've got Win 8. Takes a tiiiny bit getting used to, but it's really not that big of a deal. I love that it boots up and shuts down so quickly.
I guess it depends on what sort of money you have to spend, and how long you've had your current laptop. Is the battery life on it good? As for Windows 8...I hated the idea of it at first, but with the newest update it boots to the regular desktop, and now I barely even know I've got Win 8. Takes a tiiiny bit getting used to, but it's really not that big of a deal. I love that it boots up and shuts down so quickly.
oKZOZJE.gif

wishlist
foliage • FR +3
@Pressia

I work with a lot of indie games though. I'm a texture artist - and a lot of them don't run with Windows 8.

I've had the computer for about two and a half years. The battery life is fine. I can go without my charger for a few hours unless I'm gaming.

The most I can really spend is about 400 on a new laptop, and I'd prefer to wait until I get paid next Friday.
@Pressia

I work with a lot of indie games though. I'm a texture artist - and a lot of them don't run with Windows 8.

I've had the computer for about two and a half years. The battery life is fine. I can go without my charger for a few hours unless I'm gaming.

The most I can really spend is about 400 on a new laptop, and I'd prefer to wait until I get paid next Friday.
It sounds like your computer, unfortunately, is at the end of its life. At this point, I would recommend backing up your files ASAP in case something happens.

As far as new computers go, I have found that with Start Menu 8 I can hardly tell the difference between Win 8 and Win 7. It's actually a lot faster, and updates faster too. Additionally, it has a built in version of MSE (called Windows Defender) which is a super great antivirus that everyone should have.

If you're really pushing to save your baby, the best thing to do is find a dismantling video online, study, and dismantle it to give it a good clean. On most laptops, you have to remove everything, and I mean EVERYTHING before you can get to the fan. What model do you have?
It sounds like your computer, unfortunately, is at the end of its life. At this point, I would recommend backing up your files ASAP in case something happens.

As far as new computers go, I have found that with Start Menu 8 I can hardly tell the difference between Win 8 and Win 7. It's actually a lot faster, and updates faster too. Additionally, it has a built in version of MSE (called Windows Defender) which is a super great antivirus that everyone should have.

If you're really pushing to save your baby, the best thing to do is find a dismantling video online, study, and dismantle it to give it a good clean. On most laptops, you have to remove everything, and I mean EVERYTHING before you can get to the fan. What model do you have?
which gateway was it?

if I were you, I'd unscrew it, get the piece out, and jiggle the monitor plug inside the laptop.

I've been repairing gateways for years. They're reliable little laptops, but cheaply made. Kinda like vw bugs.... dont get one if you dont know how to work on one.

buy a new laptop (a windows 7 laptop. because it looks like nothing you want works with 8), get all your things off your old laptop onto your new laptop, then put the old one up on ebay. you might be surprised how much they're worth.

usually a broken laptop is worth half the amount it was worth when new.
which gateway was it?

if I were you, I'd unscrew it, get the piece out, and jiggle the monitor plug inside the laptop.

I've been repairing gateways for years. They're reliable little laptops, but cheaply made. Kinda like vw bugs.... dont get one if you dont know how to work on one.

buy a new laptop (a windows 7 laptop. because it looks like nothing you want works with 8), get all your things off your old laptop onto your new laptop, then put the old one up on ebay. you might be surprised how much they're worth.

usually a broken laptop is worth half the amount it was worth when new.
maekbabby.pngskinz.pngartbutton.giftumblrbutton.jpgdimensionriders2.png
Windows 8 really isn't very bad at all once you get used to it. I thought I wasn't going to like it at first, too. I had to get a new computer just a few weeks ago.
Windows 8 really isn't very bad at all once you get used to it. I thought I wasn't going to like it at first, too. I had to get a new computer just a few weeks ago.
oqllpxA.gifX4235Xn.gif
Sounds like it's kind of been killed. Repairing a laptop is generally pricey, and if it's being allowed to overheat now, you're shortening the tiny bit of lifespan it has left.
(Also, get all the data you need off its hard drive; overheating hard drives is a good way to lose data.)

It's probably worth you just buying a new one at this point. Shop around; it's not hard to find a computer with Win 7 preinstalled. Or, you know, you could buy a copy of Win 7.

Also, I recommend a desktop unless you regularly and very often need your computer outside of the house. Your household sounds too rowdy for a laptop.
Sounds like it's kind of been killed. Repairing a laptop is generally pricey, and if it's being allowed to overheat now, you're shortening the tiny bit of lifespan it has left.
(Also, get all the data you need off its hard drive; overheating hard drives is a good way to lose data.)

It's probably worth you just buying a new one at this point. Shop around; it's not hard to find a computer with Win 7 preinstalled. Or, you know, you could buy a copy of Win 7.

Also, I recommend a desktop unless you regularly and very often need your computer outside of the house. Your household sounds too rowdy for a laptop.
There's still some companies selling windows 7, though I only know of HP doing so for certain, and my HP laptop didn't exactly last as well as how this Acer's been. I second Shenzi about buying win 7, though it could be expensive when added to the cost o the laptop. For what's going on with the fan, I'd need to see the inside of it, but even then I don't know how much repairs are since I don't pay for repairs. Possibly get the friend who's replacing the screen for you to take a look at the fan issue?

400 for a new laptop is probably...kind of terrible? I only see win 7's upwards of 500$, but it has been a bit since I looked, so newegg or tiger direct may have changed their prices.
There's still some companies selling windows 7, though I only know of HP doing so for certain, and my HP laptop didn't exactly last as well as how this Acer's been. I second Shenzi about buying win 7, though it could be expensive when added to the cost o the laptop. For what's going on with the fan, I'd need to see the inside of it, but even then I don't know how much repairs are since I don't pay for repairs. Possibly get the friend who's replacing the screen for you to take a look at the fan issue?

400 for a new laptop is probably...kind of terrible? I only see win 7's upwards of 500$, but it has been a bit since I looked, so newegg or tiger direct may have changed their prices.
championsinferno2_by_intelligentwolf-d83ppia.jpg
Click the banner to see my (finished) project of getting a Bobobo imp!
You can still buy laptops with windows 7 on them.

as for your current laptop, from what you've stated - it sounds a lot better to just back up the necessary files and buy a new one, I had a desktop meet the same fate (with it sounding like parts were coming loose and it suddenly not working right)
You can still buy laptops with windows 7 on them.

as for your current laptop, from what you've stated - it sounds a lot better to just back up the necessary files and buy a new one, I had a desktop meet the same fate (with it sounding like parts were coming loose and it suddenly not working right)
Idk, i'm just here for the pretty dragons
ಠ_à²