Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Great minds think alike i guess
Ok so i discovered this website about a week ago and i've just started reading the lore and i'm noticing an eerie similarity to a series of books i've been working on since i was a freshman in highschool i don't want to be accused of plagiarism but like it's weirdly similar four great dragon deities check although mine were energy solids liquids and gases not fire water earth and air mine worked togther and didn't fight and i had a fith that was the leader and to defeat the great evil they had to sacrifice their bodies to seal it away and the shards they left behind became life and dragons the shards from the energy dragon became fire and plasma and fused with other shards to make things like light and electricity and gases made wind and things like time and so on and so fourth but like i have been working on this since 2007 and i drew inspiration from like goldrn sun and eragon and the ubisoft dragon game and i'm wondering if the devs of this website also played those games and read those books and like i've never published my books because i have depression and have never been able to just sit down and write it even though i have like a terabite of notes and now i don't think i'll ever write it
Ok so i discovered this website about a week ago and i've just started reading the lore and i'm noticing an eerie similarity to a series of books i've been working on since i was a freshman in highschool i don't want to be accused of plagiarism but like it's weirdly similar four great dragon deities check although mine were energy solids liquids and gases not fire water earth and air mine worked togther and didn't fight and i had a fith that was the leader and to defeat the great evil they had to sacrifice their bodies to seal it away and the shards they left behind became life and dragons the shards from the energy dragon became fire and plasma and fused with other shards to make things like light and electricity and gases made wind and things like time and so on and so fourth but like i have been working on this since 2007 and i drew inspiration from like goldrn sun and eragon and the ubisoft dragon game and i'm wondering if the devs of this website also played those games and read those books and like i've never published my books because i have depression and have never been able to just sit down and write it even though i have like a terabite of notes and now i don't think i'll ever write it
Let's just say they were inspired by the things you mentioned. Should they not have created Flight Rising then? The reality is fantasy heavily inspires other fantasy, and that's fine.

It's funny that you mention Eragon, which some people seem to consider an example of blatant plagiarism of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Did that stop its rise to prominence?

Just write your books. Having dragon deities related to states of matter is already a departure from stereotypical elemental dragon stuff. That's a plus there, and not everything needs to be ultra unique. You can fall back on genre norms here and there.

Don't fret about this. Just tell a story that is your story, and not someone else's story.

Let's just say they were inspired by the things you mentioned. Should they not have created Flight Rising then? The reality is fantasy heavily inspires other fantasy, and that's fine.

It's funny that you mention Eragon, which some people seem to consider an example of blatant plagiarism of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Did that stop its rise to prominence?

Just write your books. Having dragon deities related to states of matter is already a departure from stereotypical elemental dragon stuff. That's a plus there, and not everything needs to be ultra unique. You can fall back on genre norms here and there.

Don't fret about this. Just tell a story that is your story, and not someone else's story.

V8GfXRi.jpg
thats really kind of cool youre kind of like an isolationist
thats really kind of cool youre kind of like an isolationist
@Dragxon

Honestly, one of the weirdest things to learn is that no one idea is unique. Whatever you've thought of, it's very likely been thought of before.

However! The reason we still create books and can read new stories is because it isn't the idea that needs to be unique. It's how you do it.

So long story short, maybe your ideas are close to flight rising's lore, but that's fine. All of what I've written combines things I've seen, heard, read or loved. What matters is that you keep putting your own thoughts and passions into what you make. That's what will make it your own unique story.
@Dragxon

Honestly, one of the weirdest things to learn is that no one idea is unique. Whatever you've thought of, it's very likely been thought of before.

However! The reason we still create books and can read new stories is because it isn't the idea that needs to be unique. It's how you do it.

So long story short, maybe your ideas are close to flight rising's lore, but that's fine. All of what I've written combines things I've seen, heard, read or loved. What matters is that you keep putting your own thoughts and passions into what you make. That's what will make it your own unique story.
LklXAGK.png
Hey, I don’t think just having dragon deities would seem like plagiarism. I have a world I write about sometimes that also has some dragon deities. A lot of great works have some things in common, whether they were inspired by one another or not. That doesn’t make it a bad thing! There’s no true 100% original work, we’re all influenced by our own lives and by the things we read or watch.
Hey, I don’t think just having dragon deities would seem like plagiarism. I have a world I write about sometimes that also has some dragon deities. A lot of great works have some things in common, whether they were inspired by one another or not. That doesn’t make it a bad thing! There’s no true 100% original work, we’re all influenced by our own lives and by the things we read or watch.
vlHpjp8.png .
he/him

FR+3:00
. .
checked on swipp, baldwin, or arlo lately?
_ wizardry2.gif
Punctuation, my friend. XD Just kidding! But seriously, that’s cool that you’ve observed so many similarities between your story and FR lore. Definitely wouldn’t call it plagiarism to be inspired by a certain media like Eragon, though. Still- interesting!
Punctuation, my friend. XD Just kidding! But seriously, that’s cool that you’ve observed so many similarities between your story and FR lore. Definitely wouldn’t call it plagiarism to be inspired by a certain media like Eragon, though. Still- interesting!
shaymin-sky.gif
Thanks guys that really cheered me up i was expecting to be shouted down into oblivion i'm glad to see that not every place on the internet is a pit of toxicity
Thanks guys that really cheered me up i was expecting to be shouted down into oblivion i'm glad to see that not every place on the internet is a pit of toxicity