Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Gay NPC dragons! And Npc stories
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
[quote name="DragonSage" date="2020-01-25 17:27:38" ] [quote name="Jemadar" date="2020-01-25 17:08:03" ] [quote name="Valemora" date="2020-01-25 17:02:51" ] [quote]Swipp could be Ace still. Unhatched eggs are a thing, so maybe he found some unhatched eggs and raised them as his daughters.[/quote] Oh, haven't thought of that but I totally agree that it's possible and it even strengthens my own point! :D Updated my earlier post, thanks! [/quote] I too fell into the trap of 'Swipp has daughter's, where is Mrs. Swipp?', but thinking about it, he doesn't have to be anything, because he could have adopted. You're welcome. :) [/quote] Pretty sure that when Swipp’s daughters were introduced the players tried to figure out what potential colors his mate had and it was determined that he would have had to have two different mates or a scatter scroll was used on someone. So that could suggest he is polyamorous or could be more evidence that his daughters are adopted [/quote] I had just wondered if his daughters could fall in his and his theoretical mate's color range, but never realized anyone had tried to determine it.
DragonSage wrote on 2020-01-25 17:27:38:
Jemadar wrote on 2020-01-25 17:08:03:
Valemora wrote on 2020-01-25 17:02:51:
Quote:
Swipp could be Ace still. Unhatched eggs are a thing, so maybe he found some unhatched eggs and raised them as his daughters.
Oh, haven't thought of that but I totally agree that it's possible and it even strengthens my own point! :D Updated my earlier post, thanks!
I too fell into the trap of 'Swipp has daughter's, where is Mrs. Swipp?', but thinking about it, he doesn't have to be anything, because he could have adopted.

You're welcome. :)
Pretty sure that when Swipp’s daughters were introduced the players tried to figure out what potential colors his mate had and it was determined that he would have had to have two different mates or a scatter scroll was used on someone. So that could suggest he is polyamorous or could be more evidence that his daughters are adopted
I had just wondered if his daughters could fall in his and his theoretical mate's color range, but never realized anyone had tried to determine it.

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
[quote]But, for Les, bi, gay, etc, you'll have to personally know something about their private lives to know it, and that's the difference.[/quote] Yeah, me and my gf work together, and tbh I can't imagine how a random client could realize that we're a couple without us being too in-your-face/unprofessional about it, it's not like we kiss or call each other pet names while at work - and npc's are always at work when we visit them. Actually, we have at least four more couples (two even married) in our company and they never show it in any way while in the office :D
Quote:
But, for Les, bi, gay, etc, you'll have to personally know something about their private lives to know it, and that's the difference.
Yeah, me and my gf work together, and tbh I can't imagine how a random client could realize that we're a couple without us being too in-your-face/unprofessional about it, it's not like we kiss or call each other pet names while at work - and npc's are always at work when we visit them. Actually, we have at least four more couples (two even married) in our company and they never show it in any way while in the office :D
This is a very cute idea. No of fence or anything but the idea that adding a gay character would be "pandering" or a "token minority" is kind of a moot point when like... LGBT people are actively requesting them. I'm a lesbian who loves Fiona very much and would love to see more representation in that vein!
This is a very cute idea. No of fence or anything but the idea that adding a gay character would be "pandering" or a "token minority" is kind of a moot point when like... LGBT people are actively requesting them. I'm a lesbian who loves Fiona very much and would love to see more representation in that vein!
VOIPBvS.png
If the devs ever need or come up with a feature that supports the idea of two NPCs, then yeah, it would be delightful to have the pair be lgbt+ couple. As long as the NPCs have a purpose, it doesn't feel like pandering or trying to score points. (As opposed to retroactively slapping labels on characters with nothing to support it other than word of god *cough*rowling*cough*)

Although I must say that I hope the devs approach this subject with care and don't just flood the game with lgbt+ characters, whether it be new npcs or confirmation of identity for the existing, because the subject is still a volatile one and as proven by Fiona, it will invite discourse that can't be moderated fast enough. Even though discriminatory comments aren't allowed and will be removed, people will still make them and somebody - probably many of them lgbt+ - will have to see them and be subjected to invalidation of their existence. Representation is important, but so is the lgbt+ players' right to play the game and navigate forums without having their existence be the topic of the day.
If the devs ever need or come up with a feature that supports the idea of two NPCs, then yeah, it would be delightful to have the pair be lgbt+ couple. As long as the NPCs have a purpose, it doesn't feel like pandering or trying to score points. (As opposed to retroactively slapping labels on characters with nothing to support it other than word of god *cough*rowling*cough*)

Although I must say that I hope the devs approach this subject with care and don't just flood the game with lgbt+ characters, whether it be new npcs or confirmation of identity for the existing, because the subject is still a volatile one and as proven by Fiona, it will invite discourse that can't be moderated fast enough. Even though discriminatory comments aren't allowed and will be removed, people will still make them and somebody - probably many of them lgbt+ - will have to see them and be subjected to invalidation of their existence. Representation is important, but so is the lgbt+ players' right to play the game and navigate forums without having their existence be the topic of the day.
I'm def on the no support side here for reasons already stated, I get it I'm bisexual and even now bi-erasure is still very much a thing. and other issues such as loads of misinformation being spread about what being bisexuality is, but that is something I can't really go into without being "controversial" so I'll leave it at that.

So, would I love a bisexual NPC? Yes, if done properly I 100% would. However as already mentioned it'd be hard to do without it coming off as tokenism or forced. Tomo and scribbles are a good example of that, they are together. But unless the staff states what their exact relationship is we don't know that. Are they simply coworkers? Are they friends? Are they related in some way? We just don't know *shrug emoji*

Representation for the sake of representation is most definitely a thing that affects many minorities, however, the irony whenever someone of a minority speaks up about it and how they think it's wrong. They tend to be immediately shut down because "yeah but think of everyone who's happy about it, now shut up!" it's really telling...
I'm def on the no support side here for reasons already stated, I get it I'm bisexual and even now bi-erasure is still very much a thing. and other issues such as loads of misinformation being spread about what being bisexuality is, but that is something I can't really go into without being "controversial" so I'll leave it at that.

So, would I love a bisexual NPC? Yes, if done properly I 100% would. However as already mentioned it'd be hard to do without it coming off as tokenism or forced. Tomo and scribbles are a good example of that, they are together. But unless the staff states what their exact relationship is we don't know that. Are they simply coworkers? Are they friends? Are they related in some way? We just don't know *shrug emoji*

Representation for the sake of representation is most definitely a thing that affects many minorities, however, the irony whenever someone of a minority speaks up about it and how they think it's wrong. They tend to be immediately shut down because "yeah but think of everyone who's happy about it, now shut up!" it's really telling...
DVcXRyP.png
[quote name="Beastface" date="2020-01-26 01:57:45" ] If the devs ever need or come up with a feature that supports the idea of two NPCs, then yeah, it would be delightful to have the pair be lgbt+ couple. As long as the NPCs have a purpose, it doesn't feel like pandering or trying to score points. (As opposed to retroactively slapping labels on characters with nothing to support it other than word of god *cough*rowling*cough*) Although I must say that I hope the devs approach this subject with care and don't just flood the game with lgbt+ characters, whether it be new npcs or confirmation of identity for the existing, because the subject is still a volatile one and as proven by Fiona, it will invite discourse that can't be moderated fast enough. Even though discriminatory comments aren't allowed and will be removed, people will still make them and somebody - probably many of them lgbt+ - will have to see them and be subjected to invalidation of their existence. Representation is important, but so is the lgbt+ players' right to play the game and navigate forums without having their existence be the topic of the day. [/quote] This reminds me of Aywas, where my brief looking at the NPCs seemed to indicate they were all LGBT+, and all were very one dimensional (I think they ARE getting better, as in getting backstories and actual personalities). I definitely do not want every NPC from now on to be LGBT+ because it would definitely come across as tokenism. I also agree that if a mechanic comes up that naturally can include or requires two different NPCs, then great, add a couple, whether it is LGBT+ or not, but my main concern is that it is a natural couple and not just stuck there for the sake of having a couple. That type of representation, to me, is done better in stories, where there can be backstories, personalities can be expanded upon, there can be a larger issue at hand than the relationship (I mean, this couple, who happens to both be female, must go digging through archives to save their clan. The problem? They are fire clan, and the archives belong to a clan in the ice territory. Something on that order. Their relationship can play into the story, but it isn't the main focus of the story)
Beastface wrote on 2020-01-26 01:57:45:

This reminds me of Aywas, where my brief looking at the NPCs seemed to indicate they were all LGBT+, and all were very one dimensional (I think they ARE getting better, as in getting backstories and actual personalities).

I definitely do not want every NPC from now on to be LGBT+ because it would definitely come across as tokenism.

I also agree that if a mechanic comes up that naturally can include or requires two different NPCs, then great, add a couple, whether it is LGBT+ or not, but my main concern is that it is a natural couple and not just stuck there for the sake of having a couple.

That type of representation, to me, is done better in stories, where there can be backstories, personalities can be expanded upon, there can be a larger issue at hand than the relationship (I mean, this couple, who happens to both be female, must go digging through archives to save their clan. The problem? They are fire clan, and the archives belong to a clan in the ice territory. Something on that order. Their relationship can play into the story, but it isn't the main focus of the story)

#UnnamedIsValid
Let them Fight
Let them Serve the Deities
Let them Exist in peace!
Dragons needed --->
58610356.png
Breed Characteristic Apparel!

Cuckoo Breed and Mutations!

Change Unnamed in YOUR dragon's profile!
14318365.png
Fiona is out and people are loving her and representation <3 (Can you blame em though? *-*)
Fiona is out and people are loving her and representation <3 (Can you blame em though? *-*)
xu283Kp.gif...3qZ2TWJ.gif1328MiZ.gifOipIF0J.gif....7F3QtXR.gif
Eh, not a fan of representation just for the sake of representation. Fells like pandering.
Furvilla did it and it was awful.
Eh, not a fan of representation just for the sake of representation. Fells like pandering.
Furvilla did it and it was awful.
I honestly don't care what the npc is as long as it brings a new funcionality into the game.
I honestly don't care what the npc is as long as it brings a new funcionality into the game.
Looking for some art for your dragons? click down below!

giphy.gif
[quote name="Nanosaur" date="2020-01-25 20:42:37" ] This is a very cute idea. No of fence or anything but the idea that adding a gay character would be "pandering" or a "token minority" is kind of a moot point when like... LGBT people are actively requesting them. I'm a lesbian who loves Fiona very much and would love to see more representation in that vein! [/quote] Eh, the part that worries me with "We have a trans NPC now! Let's get a gay couple!" is that down that route lies creating NPCs for the sake of ticking boxes. You'd get a trading post that is basically a laundry list of obligations - here is the straight NPC, here is the gay NPC, here is the ace NPC, here is the cis NPC, here is the trans NPC, here is the nb NPC... That stops looking like a collection of dragons that do dragon things in Sornieth and starts looking like a series of checkboxes aimed to score as many brownie points as possible. So far, FR's done a great job at making their representation subtle and organic. I worry that a focus on creating representative dragons, especially without any idea as for what purpose they actually serve the site, would torpedo that. I also agree that sexuality is something that's more naturally shown through backstory (or lore) than it is a visual medium; the visual medium has to be overbearingly obvious to convey it, either slapping stereotypical butch/effeminate traits everywhere or showing a pair of dragons that are clearly romantic with each other, where a written medium can slip it in more incidentally.
Nanosaur wrote on 2020-01-25 20:42:37:
Eh, the part that worries me with "We have a trans NPC now! Let's get a gay couple!" is that down that route lies creating NPCs for the sake of ticking boxes. You'd get a trading post that is basically a laundry list of obligations - here is the straight NPC, here is the gay NPC, here is the ace NPC, here is the cis NPC, here is the trans NPC, here is the nb NPC...

That stops looking like a collection of dragons that do dragon things in Sornieth and starts looking like a series of checkboxes aimed to score as many brownie points as possible. So far, FR's done a great job at making their representation subtle and organic. I worry that a focus on creating representative dragons, especially without any idea as for what purpose they actually serve the site, would torpedo that.

I also agree that sexuality is something that's more naturally shown through backstory (or lore) than it is a visual medium; the visual medium has to be overbearingly obvious to convey it, either slapping stereotypical butch/effeminate traits everywhere or showing a pair of dragons that are clearly romantic with each other, where a written medium can slip it in more incidentally.
tumblr_inline_omxl63fueX1s9ucgw_500.gif
XPDxt22.png
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8