Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | Copyright?
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
@Undel (I'm pretty sure you're not getting pings but maybe either you or @Aequorin keeps en eye on this thread c':)

Thank you for the official reply on this matter. I'd still like to get clarification for this though - I'm sorry if it's just that I didn't understand this part, English is not my native language.
ToS still mentions only digital art and physical crafts as separate things. Where does traditional art fall in this line? It’s surely in digital form when scanned and uploaded in the net but if I make a traditional commission of someone’s Flight Rising dragon for “real world” currency and take extra payment for post expanses and mail the art to the commissioner does that count as one of my 5 piece limit? But this all is okay if paid in treasure or gems?
Thank you for your help. c':
@Undel (I'm pretty sure you're not getting pings but maybe either you or @Aequorin keeps en eye on this thread c':)

Thank you for the official reply on this matter. I'd still like to get clarification for this though - I'm sorry if it's just that I didn't understand this part, English is not my native language.
ToS still mentions only digital art and physical crafts as separate things. Where does traditional art fall in this line? It’s surely in digital form when scanned and uploaded in the net but if I make a traditional commission of someone’s Flight Rising dragon for “real world” currency and take extra payment for post expanses and mail the art to the commissioner does that count as one of my 5 piece limit? But this all is okay if paid in treasure or gems?
Thank you for your help. c':
Kato-by-Mettaton-EX-01.png empty-block-01.png

they / them
previously Weenyah
Flight Rising blog | Tumblr | art Tumblr
deviantART
@Weenyah If you are selling the physical item - the artwork on the paper and mailing it - then it counts as a physical good.

If you are painting the item physically, and then scanning the object and providing a jpg, then that is a digital sale.
@Weenyah If you are selling the physical item - the artwork on the paper and mailing it - then it counts as a physical good.

If you are painting the item physically, and then scanning the object and providing a jpg, then that is a digital sale.
Quote:
Tangible merchandise utilizing Flight Rising IP may be gifted, traded, purchased with Flight Rising currency, or raffled (provided the raffle does not utilize "real world" currency) beyond this 5 unit limit, but may not be sold for "real world" currency once the 5 unit limit is exceeded.

Basically, you can commission or raffle off physical merchandise based on FR stuff for FR currency but not for real money. And you can also sell non-FR related merchandise without limit.

As for traditional art, it'd be nice to get some clarification on that as well. *EDIT* Thank you Undel. As to why only five or why physical has a limit but not digital, I'm not sure yet. It could have to do with future site plans (like the site introducing its own physical merchandise, etc) but that's just speculation.
Quote:
Tangible merchandise utilizing Flight Rising IP may be gifted, traded, purchased with Flight Rising currency, or raffled (provided the raffle does not utilize "real world" currency) beyond this 5 unit limit, but may not be sold for "real world" currency once the 5 unit limit is exceeded.

Basically, you can commission or raffle off physical merchandise based on FR stuff for FR currency but not for real money. And you can also sell non-FR related merchandise without limit.

As for traditional art, it'd be nice to get some clarification on that as well. *EDIT* Thank you Undel. As to why only five or why physical has a limit but not digital, I'm not sure yet. It could have to do with future site plans (like the site introducing its own physical merchandise, etc) but that's just speculation.
v1EQntz.png tumblr_inline_ojq6kw7euk1r2ao8y_540.png ~ Noctua ~ FR Time ~ pNzf7vc.pngprvZlCc.png
[quote name="Undel" date="2014-05-30 13:04:05"]@Weenyah If you are selling the physical item - the artwork on the paper and mailing it - then it counts as a physical good. If you are painting the item physically, and then scanning the object and providing a jpg, then that is a digital sale.[/quote] Okay so I am seeing bits and peices and I was wondering if you could clarify this into a whole. New ToS says you can only sell 5 total traditional art for "real world" currency So, say a traditonal artist opens an art store on site. Can they still make as much as they want and mail it out if they are selling thier works for In Site currency? Or would mailing out any traditional art made of the site's IP, even if paid for in Sire Currency count as one of the 5 you are limited to?
Undel wrote on 2014-05-30 13:04:05:

Okay so I am seeing bits and peices and I was wondering if you could clarify this into a whole.
New ToS says you can only sell 5 total traditional art for "real world" currency
So, say a traditonal artist opens an art store on site. Can they still make as much as they want and mail it out if they are selling thier works for In Site currency?

Or would mailing out any traditional art made of the site's IP, even if paid for in Sire Currency count as one of the 5 you are limited to?
@KaraTails I think it's okay as long as it's for site currency, not real-life currency.
@KaraTails I think it's okay as long as it's for site currency, not real-life currency.
@Undel-

I have made:
Shadowmom (raffled off for site currency)
Windsinger (raffled off for site currency)
Tidelord (raffled off for site currency)
Flamecaller (Sold for site currency)
Gladekeeper (raffling off for site currency right now)
Malis' Wildclaw (ACTUAL REAL WORLD MONEY)

But where do personalized dragon designs come into play with this? Like right now, the wildclaw for Malis is NOT a god, it is a blue dragon with tattoos and with gold horns and nails and red wings. Does that count as a custom character, or one of my five? If a custom skinned dragon still counts as one of the five FR IP items I get to make, that means it's the first of five I've made for real world currency.
If it counts as Malis' own custom character, then I would be able to make those outside of the five. So.

What defines a dragon character as belonging to the person, or the site?

Here, an example- A person on tumblr, to whom I can longer find the post link- had a question on who owns the designs.
They drew a skin based on one of their OCs they've had since 2002. However, once submit to the site, does that design become property of the site? Or can I make that as a plush outside of the 5, because the design was first drawn by that person, years and years ago? I'd be making the dragon they designed, not the dragon they skinned to look like their OC.

I'm trying to figure out how to count the plushes I make here- If I'm making someone's own personal dragon character that they happened to recreate as a FR dragon, I don't want to count those towards the five total if they don't actually count!

And- I CAN make my 11 gods to raffle off as I have been, for site currency/gems/items?

There are two questions here- defining what is an OC, and what is site IP, and verification that I can indeed continue with my plan to raffle off all 11 god dolls.
@Undel-

I have made:
Shadowmom (raffled off for site currency)
Windsinger (raffled off for site currency)
Tidelord (raffled off for site currency)
Flamecaller (Sold for site currency)
Gladekeeper (raffling off for site currency right now)
Malis' Wildclaw (ACTUAL REAL WORLD MONEY)

But where do personalized dragon designs come into play with this? Like right now, the wildclaw for Malis is NOT a god, it is a blue dragon with tattoos and with gold horns and nails and red wings. Does that count as a custom character, or one of my five? If a custom skinned dragon still counts as one of the five FR IP items I get to make, that means it's the first of five I've made for real world currency.
If it counts as Malis' own custom character, then I would be able to make those outside of the five. So.

What defines a dragon character as belonging to the person, or the site?

Here, an example- A person on tumblr, to whom I can longer find the post link- had a question on who owns the designs.
They drew a skin based on one of their OCs they've had since 2002. However, once submit to the site, does that design become property of the site? Or can I make that as a plush outside of the 5, because the design was first drawn by that person, years and years ago? I'd be making the dragon they designed, not the dragon they skinned to look like their OC.

I'm trying to figure out how to count the plushes I make here- If I'm making someone's own personal dragon character that they happened to recreate as a FR dragon, I don't want to count those towards the five total if they don't actually count!

And- I CAN make my 11 gods to raffle off as I have been, for site currency/gems/items?

There are two questions here- defining what is an OC, and what is site IP, and verification that I can indeed continue with my plan to raffle off all 11 god dolls.
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
Seems kind of silly to me to be jumping the gun on this when I haven't seen a vast majority of people try to make money off FR with physical goods. There's really not that much difference between physical and digital goods, either, except for one you can hold in your hand and the other you can't.
Seems kind of silly to me to be jumping the gun on this when I haven't seen a vast majority of people try to make money off FR with physical goods. There's really not that much difference between physical and digital goods, either, except for one you can hold in your hand and the other you can't.
Tumblr ! | Accent Thread ! | Fatties !
@Undel
I see we can't submit things to a shapway store for sale and I understand that 100%. However I was planning on making a 3D print that would not be for sale or reproduced of a guardian and possibly one other dragon. Would that still be okay?
I respect the copyright, I just wanted to make something for myself.
@Undel
I see we can't submit things to a shapway store for sale and I understand that 100%. However I was planning on making a 3D print that would not be for sale or reproduced of a guardian and possibly one other dragon. Would that still be okay?
I respect the copyright, I just wanted to make something for myself.
marina_small_by_wesleart_by_bombswan-db2x2ss.png
@clockworkMoose A dragon that is a FR wildclaw sold for real world currency would count as one of the 5 items. [quote]Tangible merchandise utilizing Flight Rising IP may be gifted, traded, purchased with Flight Rising currency, or raffled (provided the raffle does not utilize "real world" currency) beyond this 5 unit limit, but may not be sold for "real world" currency once the 5 unit limit is exceeded.[/quote] So yes, you could continue to raffle the god dolls, just not sell them for real-currency profit. @BombSwan If you have a friend or a school that has a 3d printer, you could absolutely make a 3D not-for-sale print for yourself. However, we're going to stick with our TOU: we really do not want our IP uploaded to print-on-demand services like shapeways. Most of those print-on-demand services don't want people to upload stuff they do not own the full copyright to anwyay, and have their own TOU to prevent it.
@clockworkMoose

A dragon that is a FR wildclaw sold for real world currency would count as one of the 5 items.
Quote:

So yes, you could continue to raffle the god dolls, just not sell them for real-currency profit.

@BombSwan If you have a friend or a school that has a 3d printer, you could absolutely make a 3D not-for-sale print for yourself. However, we're going to stick with our TOU: we really do not want our IP uploaded to print-on-demand services like shapeways. Most of those print-on-demand services don't want people to upload stuff they do not own the full copyright to anwyay, and have their own TOU to prevent it.
Oh thank god, that is one giant huge weight off my shoulders then. I'll have to go buy the fabric for lightweaver and the rest now. ;u;

@Undel, okay, so dragons based on FR species are one of the five, buuuut you didn't reply about the OC dragon, and I'm not going to ever assume anything ever again on FR. OC characters are OK to make as a plush outside of the five limit, because they are not FR dragons, even if a FR dragon was skinned to look like them? Or because a skin was made, does FR now own the rights to that person's OC design as well?
Oh thank god, that is one giant huge weight off my shoulders then. I'll have to go buy the fabric for lightweaver and the rest now. ;u;

@Undel, okay, so dragons based on FR species are one of the five, buuuut you didn't reply about the OC dragon, and I'm not going to ever assume anything ever again on FR. OC characters are OK to make as a plush outside of the five limit, because they are not FR dragons, even if a FR dragon was skinned to look like them? Or because a skin was made, does FR now own the rights to that person's OC design as well?
f2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.giff2u_cog_frog_by_dogi_crimson-dbvf4aj.gif
1 2 3 4 5 6 7