Back

Creative Corner

Share your own art and stories, or ask for critique.
TOPIC | Sculpting a dragon
1 2
Hi! Im get polymer clay tomorrow but my wire came in today so i made the [u]skeleton for a dragon im gonna sculpt? Its my first time using polymer but ive had experience with wet clay. Ive decided to share my process so far. Im hoping to make a water type derg? More of wyrm tho, since it'll only have its two forearms and no back legs. It'll have more snakelike things from the wings til tail. But! this is my first time! Process with wire-[/u] This is what it looks like right now [img]https://i.imgur.com/5KG3Yww.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/xnJLYxw.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/hKwBeff.jpg[/img] Its bad quality but eh, ill be updating tomorrow hopefully! My clay comes in :)) If you have ANY tips ill be glad for you to drop them here! Edit one. Sadly dear amazon has decided to deliever my clay tomorrow. Which means today, my bake and bond came in along with my millions of tools. (and i still have more coming oof) But, tomorrow the non colored clay comes in. I got my hopes up so much only for it to be ruined by amazon but whatever. Meanwhile. ive worked on my dragon and its gonna be like in a hmmm how shouldi put this... sorta like this[img]https://66.media.tumblr.com/980870ad8fed9e2008c4f33fdece5cd1/tumblr_oswpvscnYJ1vtwln5o2_500.gif[/img] but instead its fore arms are tucked under its chests and wings are spreaded out. I will be updating momentarily when i wake up, I slept all day cause its summer and why not Update 2: im really tired and i just went through a headsplitting headache. Will show process tom. Update 3- My clay came in. Ive been playing around with it and heres what ive made (theyre going to be baked asap) My first Try- Couldve been better but it was me first try :P [img]https://i.imgur.com/Wqmn2F4.jpg[/img] Snake boi- [img]https://i.imgur.com/X72FcV0.jpg[/img] I love this one sksksk - - Soon to be demon undead thing- [img]https://i.imgur.com/FeJz9x6.jpg[/img] I love all of these, i cannot wait to bake these :> Will be starting my dragon soon! I just wanted to try it out first
Hi! Im get polymer clay tomorrow but my wire came in today so i made the skeleton for a dragon im gonna sculpt? Its my first time using polymer but ive had experience with wet clay. Ive decided to share my process so far. Im hoping to make a water type derg? More of wyrm tho, since it'll only have its two forearms and no back legs. It'll have more snakelike things from the wings til tail. But! this is my first time!
Process with wire-

This is what it looks like right now
5KG3Yww.jpg

xnJLYxw.jpg
hKwBeff.jpg

Its bad quality but eh, ill be updating tomorrow hopefully! My clay comes in :))

If you have ANY tips ill be glad for you to drop them here!

Edit one.
Sadly dear amazon has decided to deliever my clay tomorrow. Which means today, my bake and bond came in along with my millions of tools. (and i still have more coming oof)
But, tomorrow the non colored clay comes in. I got my hopes up so much only for it to be ruined by amazon but whatever. Meanwhile. ive worked on my dragon and its gonna be like in a hmmm how shouldi put this... sorta like thistumblr_oswpvscnYJ1vtwln5o2_500.gif
but instead its fore arms are tucked under its chests and wings are spreaded out.
I will be updating momentarily when i wake up, I slept all day cause its summer and why not
Update 2: im really tired and i just went through a headsplitting headache. Will show process tom.

Update 3-
My clay came in. Ive been playing around with it and heres what ive made (theyre going to be baked asap)

My first Try-
Couldve been better but it was me first try :P
Wqmn2F4.jpg

Snake boi-
X72FcV0.jpg
I love this one sksksk
-
-
Soon to be demon undead thing-
FeJz9x6.jpg

I love all of these, i cannot wait to bake these :>

Will be starting my dragon soon! I just wanted to try it out first

tumblr_o336txXAwX1ugf70go5_100.gifIreneis
oooh, the skeleton looks nice. i'd build it up a bit tho and cover up all that wire.

are you using sculpting tools or just your hands?
oooh, the skeleton looks nice. i'd build it up a bit tho and cover up all that wire.

are you using sculpting tools or just your hands?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX]
2zEU4.gif

You matter.
i follow every thread i make
(+1 fr time)
5INS7.gif
I used to work with polymer clay a lot, hopefully these tips help!

Be very careful with light colours, they get dirt and little things stuck in them and are very visible

That being said, be careful to have a clean workspace and some people like to have gloves on to not show fingerprints on the clay
You don't really have to worry about these things if you are painting though!

It really helps to use tools, I used household items like toothbrushes (texture), xacto knives, or even things like pencils
Some people use chalk pastel shavings or eyeshadow (unsure about that) to give shading and to give it natural looking colour before baking
Wet clay is quite different from polymer, polymer is very though when it is first taken out of the package but some kneading makes it very soft

Good luck! The frame looks amazing so far, i'd love to see to finished dragon!
I would add more foil, helps to build it up but remember that the basic shape is foil and detailed things are clay
I used to work with polymer clay a lot, hopefully these tips help!

Be very careful with light colours, they get dirt and little things stuck in them and are very visible

That being said, be careful to have a clean workspace and some people like to have gloves on to not show fingerprints on the clay
You don't really have to worry about these things if you are painting though!

It really helps to use tools, I used household items like toothbrushes (texture), xacto knives, or even things like pencils
Some people use chalk pastel shavings or eyeshadow (unsure about that) to give shading and to give it natural looking colour before baking
Wet clay is quite different from polymer, polymer is very though when it is first taken out of the package but some kneading makes it very soft

Good luck! The frame looks amazing so far, i'd love to see to finished dragon!
I would add more foil, helps to build it up but remember that the basic shape is foil and detailed things are clay
W1ufEjp.png
Awesome! Polymer clay is super fun to sculpt things with. I make sculptures, myself.

I recommend building up the bulk of the form as full as possible on that armature - the more foil filler, the less wasted clay!

Fingerprints and other marks can be removed by rubbing with acetone prior to baking.

Gimme a ping if you update, I'd love to see your progress. :D
Awesome! Polymer clay is super fun to sculpt things with. I make sculptures, myself.

I recommend building up the bulk of the form as full as possible on that armature - the more foil filler, the less wasted clay!

Fingerprints and other marks can be removed by rubbing with acetone prior to baking.

Gimme a ping if you update, I'd love to see your progress. :D
shadow_banner.pngA shadowy dragon which is representative of Zenzic's persona. An original design.shadow_banner.png
Imagination is the reality of our dreamscape.
@wyvernaura888
some tools are coming tomorrow along with my regular color clay, i know the 6th i have my 42 set of colorful clay is coming in with some acrylic paint. but yes, im using tools :)
@wyvernaura888
some tools are coming tomorrow along with my regular color clay, i know the 6th i have my 42 set of colorful clay is coming in with some acrylic paint. but yes, im using tools :)
@hhoneydew than you so much for dropping the advice!with my work space im planning to see if i can get a sheet of glass or as i watched a vid today, i could use a cookie sheet on carboad.

Also i think i have a lot of tools coming. Along with bake and bond and other stuff :)

Also! i have some chalk pastels i dont use @ all! Thats some really nice advice and tysm for it, :P

And thank you! Its my first time with the frame. Ive been collecting info from videos and my own knowledge from drawing dragons. Im hoping my first piece will turn out ok XD
@hhoneydew than you so much for dropping the advice!with my work space im planning to see if i can get a sheet of glass or as i watched a vid today, i could use a cookie sheet on carboad.

Also i think i have a lot of tools coming. Along with bake and bond and other stuff :)

Also! i have some chalk pastels i dont use @ all! Thats some really nice advice and tysm for it, :P

And thank you! Its my first time with the frame. Ive been collecting info from videos and my own knowledge from drawing dragons. Im hoping my first piece will turn out ok XD
@Zenzic it is! i cannoy wait to get my hands on it tomorrow! And awesome! What kind of sculptures if you dont mind me asking,
Also im gonna add some more foil when i wake up in the morning. Im hoping my clay will deliever by 1pm. Hopefully but yeah,
Ill be sure to use the acetone. If i dont have any gloves tho. I think i may have some lol.

Also ill be sure to ping you! Ill be updating the same time around tom :)
@Zenzic it is! i cannoy wait to get my hands on it tomorrow! And awesome! What kind of sculptures if you dont mind me asking,
Also im gonna add some more foil when i wake up in the morning. Im hoping my clay will deliever by 1pm. Hopefully but yeah,
Ill be sure to use the acetone. If i dont have any gloves tho. I think i may have some lol.

Also ill be sure to ping you! Ill be updating the same time around tom :)
@Zenzic
@hhoneydew
I meant to ask this but, im planning to use one of my moonstones in my sculpture (the tail is going to curl around the stone. But is it ok if i bake it with the sculpture? Ill prob use bake and bond to attach it to the tail so it wont fall off.
@Zenzic
@hhoneydew
I meant to ask this but, im planning to use one of my moonstones in my sculpture (the tail is going to curl around the stone. But is it ok if i bake it with the sculpture? Ill prob use bake and bond to attach it to the tail so it wont fall off.
@ireneiss OOoooh I'm really interested in seeing the final product. I like to do a lot of art and craft, but clay is something that I have only rarely worked with. I would love to see what you can do with it. Do you have a pinglist, or would mind pinging me as you update the thread with your progress?
@ireneiss OOoooh I'm really interested in seeing the final product. I like to do a lot of art and craft, but clay is something that I have only rarely worked with. I would love to see what you can do with it. Do you have a pinglist, or would mind pinging me as you update the thread with your progress?
arkantos_signature_by_sludgy_by_sludgy-dben8lb.png
@Sludgy
thank you :) and ill ping you as ill update me thread but then again thank you.
@Sludgy
thank you :) and ill ping you as ill update me thread but then again thank you.
1 2