Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Kentucky Derby
A historical and controversial decision has been made in the 145th Kentucky Derby. Country House has won the Kentucky Derby after an objection over the lane obstruction of War of Will and Maximum Security, the would-be winner. Though it's a sad day for Luis Saez, his jockey, it may set a precedent for race decisions in the future.

What do you think? Did Maximum Security obscure War of Will? Should Maximum Security have won? Should Country House have won after all?
A historical and controversial decision has been made in the 145th Kentucky Derby. Country House has won the Kentucky Derby after an objection over the lane obstruction of War of Will and Maximum Security, the would-be winner. Though it's a sad day for Luis Saez, his jockey, it may set a precedent for race decisions in the future.

What do you think? Did Maximum Security obscure War of Will? Should Maximum Security have won? Should Country House have won after all?
While you're playing Flight Rising, please remember to take care of yourself. You're loved, cherished, and are a human being with dignity and personhood. Also remember that there are many people in need of your love, your talents, your kind words, and your actions. You needn't advertise, but instead, advocate. Do your best to maintain healthy boundaries and to help those who need your help. In the end, love heals all wounds.
I believe that it was an unintentional bump, it was a sloppy track; it'd be hard to not to hit into another horse.

Personally I think Maximum Security, is the rightful winner, he was the best horse out there, though I am a little disappointed that the crowed was booing Country House, and his jockey !
I believe that it was an unintentional bump, it was a sloppy track; it'd be hard to not to hit into another horse.

Personally I think Maximum Security, is the rightful winner, he was the best horse out there, though I am a little disappointed that the crowed was booing Country House, and his jockey !
UZVTEBc.png
It was a definite interference (whether intentional or not) on War of Will and...was it Long Range Toddy? as War practically clipped heels with Security and could have gone down. It didn't look like Country House had to check up at all, and I don't think it affected the race outcome, which is what the stewards often base their decision on: was it intentional, and/or did it affect the race outcome?

I don't think either apply here (curious it was Country House, and not the two jockeys directly affected that claimed foul). However, I have seen DQs in similar situations like this, and I think it was because of the severity of the interference.

I'm actually still sore that Bayern wasn't DQed from the 2014 Classic due to his interference, and that was done at the gate, lol.
It was a definite interference (whether intentional or not) on War of Will and...was it Long Range Toddy? as War practically clipped heels with Security and could have gone down. It didn't look like Country House had to check up at all, and I don't think it affected the race outcome, which is what the stewards often base their decision on: was it intentional, and/or did it affect the race outcome?

I don't think either apply here (curious it was Country House, and not the two jockeys directly affected that claimed foul). However, I have seen DQs in similar situations like this, and I think it was because of the severity of the interference.

I'm actually still sore that Bayern wasn't DQed from the 2014 Classic due to his interference, and that was done at the gate, lol.
Its sad but they made the right call. Although I don't think it was intentional, maximum could have EASILY caused a massive breakdown there. I'm just glad war could pull back fast enough that it didn't.
I don't think maximums bump affected country house though, but I see why the jockey brought it up. If you can win the derby with 65-1 odds, even on a technicality? why wouldn't you!
tldr: it does suck, but ultimately it doesn't matter who wins so much as everyone making it out safely.
Its sad but they made the right call. Although I don't think it was intentional, maximum could have EASILY caused a massive breakdown there. I'm just glad war could pull back fast enough that it didn't.
I don't think maximums bump affected country house though, but I see why the jockey brought it up. If you can win the derby with 65-1 odds, even on a technicality? why wouldn't you!
tldr: it does suck, but ultimately it doesn't matter who wins so much as everyone making it out safely.
98bf1699ec3a8a9904ee0a7db6e28469c9948a3c.gif
I also agree that the right call was made, for the reasons Blackthorns stated above. Horse racing can be incredibly dangerous, and rules like that are in place to prevent/discourage something like this from happening. This isn't the first race where horses have to race on a sloppy, wet track in the rain with a dozen others, and while I'm absolutely sure those conditions played a factor, it doesn't excuse what happened. It was negligent, whether it was intentional or otherwise.

Thankfully, no tragedy came from this, although honestly I think that was pure luck. If one horse had fallen, the rest of the field behind them could have been taken down. Not only is that millions of dollars from a business standpoint, but the physical and emotional trauma that could have been suffered by the horses and jockey's (and owners, families, caretakers) would have been mind boggling.

The best horse didn't win, but he didn't win for the right reasons.

/climbs down from soapbox
I also agree that the right call was made, for the reasons Blackthorns stated above. Horse racing can be incredibly dangerous, and rules like that are in place to prevent/discourage something like this from happening. This isn't the first race where horses have to race on a sloppy, wet track in the rain with a dozen others, and while I'm absolutely sure those conditions played a factor, it doesn't excuse what happened. It was negligent, whether it was intentional or otherwise.

Thankfully, no tragedy came from this, although honestly I think that was pure luck. If one horse had fallen, the rest of the field behind them could have been taken down. Not only is that millions of dollars from a business standpoint, but the physical and emotional trauma that could have been suffered by the horses and jockey's (and owners, families, caretakers) would have been mind boggling.

The best horse didn't win, but he didn't win for the right reasons.

/climbs down from soapbox
nature_zps16f4c1be.png