Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Random Cat Aggression
I was sitting on the bed when one of my cats sat on my lap. I was petting him a bit, and then he fell asleep. That seemed normal enough. Then, when he woke up, he stretched his paws in my face, or so I though. But then he started smacking me a bit harder. I don't understand why he would do this. Is there any logic to this sudden strange behavior?
I was sitting on the bed when one of my cats sat on my lap. I was petting him a bit, and then he fell asleep. That seemed normal enough. Then, when he woke up, he stretched his paws in my face, or so I though. But then he started smacking me a bit harder. I don't understand why he would do this. Is there any logic to this sudden strange behavior?
eSzGOae.pngCollector of Sickle Claws
He seems friendly now. I'm still wondering about the random smacking, though. His claws were out, so its not like he was playing normally.
He seems friendly now. I'm still wondering about the random smacking, though. His claws were out, so its not like he was playing normally.
I have no idea why that happens, but my cat does it too. I'll be petting her, and she just starts attacking my hand.
I have no idea why that happens, but my cat does it too. I'll be petting her, and she just starts attacking my hand.
tumblr_o23mwcXPEZ1u3wsjco6_250.png 4f4c01ec3fcd06d45834f28097a7fb2be50dc3cf.png dEo6ta2.png
nbZE1po.png
5iXiC8z.png
V7wUqxW.png
bYt72YT.png
jbMLSIO.png

nGKuPIQ.gif
@Drakel
@MagicIcewing
Sometimes cats that didn't grow up with another kitten will play rough like this because they didn't learn not to! I work at an animal clinic, and this is a pretty common thing I've seen. :3
You can usually get your cat to stop by gently scruffing them and moving them away. Like when kittens nip, they don't know that it hurts. You don't want to encourage your cat to play rough like this, so basically walkig away from them when they do this is a good idea. Other adult cats will usually give an offending cat a good pop with their claws to tell them they've gotten out of hand ahahah
@Drakel
@MagicIcewing
Sometimes cats that didn't grow up with another kitten will play rough like this because they didn't learn not to! I work at an animal clinic, and this is a pretty common thing I've seen. :3
You can usually get your cat to stop by gently scruffing them and moving them away. Like when kittens nip, they don't know that it hurts. You don't want to encourage your cat to play rough like this, so basically walkig away from them when they do this is a good idea. Other adult cats will usually give an offending cat a good pop with their claws to tell them they've gotten out of hand ahahah
arcane.gif
MUYNhfy.png
uFMfy5S.png
8aGsMI1.png
oaolHwW.png
Tra5J1M.png
My cat does this too-I think it's because she gets tired of being petted after a while.

@Drakel Did your cat's paws do what the cat in this video's doing? That's called kneading, it means he's happy.
My cat does this too-I think it's because she gets tired of being petted after a while.

@Drakel Did your cat's paws do what the cat in this video's doing? That's called kneading, it means he's happy.
[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen4/platinum_shiny/292.png[/img] idk cats just tend to be jerks sometimes but if this aggression gets worse you may want to look into it
292.png idk cats just tend to be jerks sometimes but if this aggression gets worse you may want to look into it
view him.
IZ55cqW.gif
@Novem
Thanks for the info! My two cats didn't have a momma with them growing up (we found them stray at a few weeks old- waited a few hours, but no mother came to take care of them, so we took them in), so I guess that's what's getting one of them to play rough like this.
@Novem
Thanks for the info! My two cats didn't have a momma with them growing up (we found them stray at a few weeks old- waited a few hours, but no mother came to take care of them, so we took them in), so I guess that's what's getting one of them to play rough like this.
@Novem

I know this is abit out of the topic but still somewhat relevant?
I just wondered if you possibly know why and/or how you make adult cats stop playing with their claws out? I have two cats, one 3 years old and the other one soon 1 year. I'd love to play with them but it's not nice when they hurt :c
@Novem

I know this is abit out of the topic but still somewhat relevant?
I just wondered if you possibly know why and/or how you make adult cats stop playing with their claws out? I have two cats, one 3 years old and the other one soon 1 year. I'd love to play with them but it's not nice when they hurt :c
@drakel It could very well be the cat becoming overstimulated by the petting. If you don't already do so, make sure you play with them for at least 15 minutes a day and, preferably, right before you feed them.

@Jellyparrot Try yelping or saying 'ow!' in a high pitched voice then stopping play and completely ignoring them for 1 minute. The yelp is just to communicate that it hurt and not meant to shock them. And, honestly? I only rarely play with my cats with my hands. Only toys.
@drakel It could very well be the cat becoming overstimulated by the petting. If you don't already do so, make sure you play with them for at least 15 minutes a day and, preferably, right before you feed them.

@Jellyparrot Try yelping or saying 'ow!' in a high pitched voice then stopping play and completely ignoring them for 1 minute. The yelp is just to communicate that it hurt and not meant to shock them. And, honestly? I only rarely play with my cats with my hands. Only toys.