Back

Help Center

Ask questions and help others in this forum.
TOPIC | The math behind Coliseum?
I'm just starting out, and although I've read several guides on builds for the coliseum and know what the common wisdom is, I'm still interested in figuring it out myself.

The problem is, all the descriptions for the abilities and stats are very... vague.

For example, the description of Scratch just says that it's a low damage attack. I can't spreadsheet "low damage attack."
I would have less of a problem if the descriptions were more akin to "Scratch does 200% STR" or something like that, but here we are.

It's also vague as to how much points in various stats actually help you. I have no idea how much less often a 10 QCK dragon gets turns as opposed to a 100 QCK dragon.

Points in AGI make you crit and dodge more often, which sounds incredible. I like the sound of taking no damage and dealing increased damage more often. But, I have no idea how much a point actually changes the chances. Does each point roughly translate to 1%, but with diminishing returns? I have no clue.
I'm not even sure what a crit actually does - can an attack that crits be dodged? Does it do double damage, or does it use some other multiplier?

How much do points in MND and DEF reduce damage you take/multiply your health? I have no way of really knowing without doing a lot of testing...

The only thing I can figure out is it seems like dragons gain 30 health per level, and 20 health per point of VIT. I can only get that idea because max health is one of the few hard numbers actually shown in party formation.

If anyone has any insights on any of this it'd be super rad to hear about it.
I'm just starting out, and although I've read several guides on builds for the coliseum and know what the common wisdom is, I'm still interested in figuring it out myself.

The problem is, all the descriptions for the abilities and stats are very... vague.

For example, the description of Scratch just says that it's a low damage attack. I can't spreadsheet "low damage attack."
I would have less of a problem if the descriptions were more akin to "Scratch does 200% STR" or something like that, but here we are.

It's also vague as to how much points in various stats actually help you. I have no idea how much less often a 10 QCK dragon gets turns as opposed to a 100 QCK dragon.

Points in AGI make you crit and dodge more often, which sounds incredible. I like the sound of taking no damage and dealing increased damage more often. But, I have no idea how much a point actually changes the chances. Does each point roughly translate to 1%, but with diminishing returns? I have no clue.
I'm not even sure what a crit actually does - can an attack that crits be dodged? Does it do double damage, or does it use some other multiplier?

How much do points in MND and DEF reduce damage you take/multiply your health? I have no way of really knowing without doing a lot of testing...

The only thing I can figure out is it seems like dragons gain 30 health per level, and 20 health per point of VIT. I can only get that idea because max health is one of the few hard numbers actually shown in party formation.

If anyone has any insights on any of this it'd be super rad to hear about it.
@CrazyMLC

You might want to check out this thread!
@CrazyMLC

You might want to check out this thread!
EDPdzPA.pngoCyuG6K.pngM4gRmAb.png
Mz977my.png
That's extremely helpful. Thank you!

I guess the only questions I still have after reading the first few posts in that thread are about the exact mechanics behind QCK and AGI, but I suppose those might not be as well known? I'll keep reading that thread though, it looks like the right place to be.
That's extremely helpful. Thank you!

I guess the only questions I still have after reading the first few posts in that thread are about the exact mechanics behind QCK and AGI, but I suppose those might not be as well known? I'll keep reading that thread though, it looks like the right place to be.
@CrazyMLC

A heads-up, you need to ping if you want to ensure that the other person gets your answer.

As far as I know, Agi is more than a bit broken at the moment (and partially disabled?) and generally considered useless. (And since Mnd, Def and Vit don't give enough health/defence to balance with the lack of damage output, they are more or less useless as well.)

Looking at Sylvandyr's thread, especially the last couple of pages, and it looks like the math behind Qck is still largely unknown. I did some very quick testing and going by that, the beginning is easy to predict but after that it does something a lot more complicated.

Asking Sylvandyr and Maki would be the best - they know the system probably better than anyone else!

If you are just looking to start Coli and don't have any lv25s yet, following Culex and/or Sedona guide is the best way to begin (which one depends on if you have Eliminates or not). Training dragons to lv25 is very fast so there's not really any use in making builds for anything else than them.

@CrazyMLC

A heads-up, you need to ping if you want to ensure that the other person gets your answer.

As far as I know, Agi is more than a bit broken at the moment (and partially disabled?) and generally considered useless. (And since Mnd, Def and Vit don't give enough health/defence to balance with the lack of damage output, they are more or less useless as well.)

Looking at Sylvandyr's thread, especially the last couple of pages, and it looks like the math behind Qck is still largely unknown. I did some very quick testing and going by that, the beginning is easy to predict but after that it does something a lot more complicated.

Asking Sylvandyr and Maki would be the best - they know the system probably better than anyone else!

If you are just looking to start Coli and don't have any lv25s yet, following Culex and/or Sedona guide is the best way to begin (which one depends on if you have Eliminates or not). Training dragons to lv25 is very fast so there's not really any use in making builds for anything else than them.

hWsjkHE.png
@CrazyMLC @Elaendorlien

I'd like to note that Vitality, Defense, and Mind are very much not useless, at least for some specialized builds. In some cases you end up with a ton of extra points to invest in bulk. Vitality is much more useful than Defense or Mind, up to a certain point (for the venue I was looking at it was 40 points), at which point Defense is usually way more relevant.

But if you're just starting out in the Coliseum, you don't need to figure everything out on your own. Stat points and stone choices have already been fairly optimized at this point. Here are two great guides to get you started:

How to Train Your Dragon
The Sedona Build

I recommend starting with a Water and an Arcane dragon, since those elements do well in later venues.
@CrazyMLC @Elaendorlien

I'd like to note that Vitality, Defense, and Mind are very much not useless, at least for some specialized builds. In some cases you end up with a ton of extra points to invest in bulk. Vitality is much more useful than Defense or Mind, up to a certain point (for the venue I was looking at it was 40 points), at which point Defense is usually way more relevant.

But if you're just starting out in the Coliseum, you don't need to figure everything out on your own. Stat points and stone choices have already been fairly optimized at this point. Here are two great guides to get you started:

How to Train Your Dragon
The Sedona Build

I recommend starting with a Water and an Arcane dragon, since those elements do well in later venues.
@CrazyMLC

Comprehensive Coli Builds List is a lifesaver for high-level venues. Like Kasael said, you want to have your first level 25 with Elim be a Water (Ruins Raider/Monk) or Arcane (Mire Flyer) type to make maximum profit.

It looks like someone above me gave you the link to Sylvandyr's tools for calculating damage/etc. as well!

@CrazyMLC

Comprehensive Coli Builds List is a lifesaver for high-level venues. Like Kasael said, you want to have your first level 25 with Elim be a Water (Ruins Raider/Monk) or Arcane (Mire Flyer) type to make maximum profit.

It looks like someone above me gave you the link to Sylvandyr's tools for calculating damage/etc. as well!

badges_02.png
AJ | 27 | FR +3
Badges 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | Persistent | LDCC
REBIRTH.png
@Elaendorlien

I assume this is how pinging works? Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't sure if it was considered polite to always ping responses or not.

From what you're saying and what I've read, It sounds like the best defense is a good offense?
With DEF and MND reductions being flat instead of %s, I can see how they'd lose relevance at later levels. With AGI not doing anything (?) the only way to not take damage is to take out the enemy first. Got it.

@Kasael @Kodak

Thanks for the advice! I'll set up an Arcane/Water team and level those up. Will definitely be referencing the links you gave as I do so. :)

And Kasael, I think I understand the reasoning there. If most teams are about finishing battles hard and fast with glass cannons, then enemy spellcasters aren't really a problem since they need to gather breath, so you can just dump MND. (?)
So, you can put points into DEF to get it to a nice multiple of 3 to hold out slightly better against enemies that can actually fight back. (like is done in that Sedona build) Correct me if I'm wrong there.
@Elaendorlien

I assume this is how pinging works? Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't sure if it was considered polite to always ping responses or not.

From what you're saying and what I've read, It sounds like the best defense is a good offense?
With DEF and MND reductions being flat instead of %s, I can see how they'd lose relevance at later levels. With AGI not doing anything (?) the only way to not take damage is to take out the enemy first. Got it.

@Kasael @Kodak

Thanks for the advice! I'll set up an Arcane/Water team and level those up. Will definitely be referencing the links you gave as I do so. :)

And Kasael, I think I understand the reasoning there. If most teams are about finishing battles hard and fast with glass cannons, then enemy spellcasters aren't really a problem since they need to gather breath, so you can just dump MND. (?)
So, you can put points into DEF to get it to a nice multiple of 3 to hold out slightly better against enemies that can actually fight back. (like is done in that Sedona build) Correct me if I'm wrong there.
@CrazyMLC

Yep, that's exactly why DEF is generally more useful than MND.

However, VIT is usually more useful than either of those. Not only does it cover both magical and physical attacks, the amount of damage you'd save by investing in either defensive stat is usually a lot less than the extra HP you get per VIT point. It's only once you get to higher VIT values, where it takes a lot more points to improve your HP, that tossing the points in DEF makes any sense. A lot of builds just don't have the spare points to get that high!

Glad I could help, and good luck.
@CrazyMLC

Yep, that's exactly why DEF is generally more useful than MND.

However, VIT is usually more useful than either of those. Not only does it cover both magical and physical attacks, the amount of damage you'd save by investing in either defensive stat is usually a lot less than the extra HP you get per VIT point. It's only once you get to higher VIT values, where it takes a lot more points to improve your HP, that tossing the points in DEF makes any sense. A lot of builds just don't have the spare points to get that high!

Glad I could help, and good luck.
@CrazyMLC I see that a lot of users gave very detailed answers and their views on coli, so I'll just add a little more. Have you read about the Anticitank? Cause I think this build might be just right for you! [url]http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2157767[/url] It is a unique but efficient build made for training 2 unleveled fodders at the ghostlight ruins. The trainer of this build is a physical attacker, [b]but does not use scratch![/b] It uses : [item=anticipate] This little piece of hidden gold. Bogsneaks and Snappers have them naturally. It's a very underrated battlestone in my opinion, but everyone admits they're one of the best options in this build. The general idea of it is a tanky warrior with relatively low The general idea of this build is to use anticipate to lower the damage and build breath fast for a quick haste+eliminate. More hits your trainer gets, the more breath it gets. Ghostlight ruins has SO many physical enemies, this build plows through ghostlight. It's also the best build for leveling fodders up to 5. Mire is faster for leveling up to 7, but Ghostlight has so many good sides- it's able to take on a boss while leveling fodders(http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2411649 < a guide to beat ghostlight bosses), Can start with almost all monster packs(packs of three magis are a NO though), at a relatively low food cost.(this shouldn't be ignored. Your trainer will eat a lot of food. Especially if you're burning through fodders. I recommened using a dragon that eats plants to save money in the long run, since plants are the cheapest food.) I really recommend having at least one dragon statted in this build. It'll get you a lot of treasure:) If you need help training dergs, I'm glad to help.. so feel free to give me a ping for help!
@CrazyMLC

I see that a lot of users gave very detailed answers and their views on coli, so I'll just add a little more. Have you read about the Anticitank? Cause I think this build might be just right for you!

http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2157767

It is a unique but efficient build made for training 2 unleveled fodders at the ghostlight ruins. The trainer of this build is a physical attacker, but does not use scratch! It uses :
Anticipate

This little piece of hidden gold. Bogsneaks and Snappers have them naturally. It's a very underrated battlestone in my opinion, but everyone admits they're one of the best options in this build. The general idea of it is a tanky warrior with relatively low

The general idea of this build is to use anticipate to lower the damage and build breath fast for a quick haste+eliminate. More hits your trainer gets, the more breath it gets. Ghostlight ruins has SO many physical enemies, this build plows through ghostlight. It's also the best build for leveling fodders up to 5. Mire is faster for leveling up to 7, but Ghostlight has so many good sides- it's able to take on a boss while leveling fodders(http://www1.flightrising.com/forums/gde/2411649 < a guide to beat ghostlight bosses), Can start with almost all monster packs(packs of three magis are a NO though), at a relatively low food cost.(this shouldn't be ignored. Your trainer will eat a lot of food. Especially if you're burning through fodders. I recommened using a dragon that eats plants to save money in the long run, since plants are the cheapest food.)

I really recommend having at least one dragon statted in this build. It'll get you a lot of treasure:) If you need help training dergs, I'm glad to help.. so feel free to give me a ping for help!