Back

Art Sales

For commissions and flat-sale of your creative efforts.
TOPIC | PLEASE READ! Art Pricing + Selling Guide
1 2 3 4 5 6
@Yeti
Wow this is so helpful!! I wish I found this earlier. I made an art shop but I think I'm actually charging too much. Can you help me?

Here are the examples:
Chibi linearts - http://sta.sh/2myr9snt8yn
Chibis colored - http://sta.sh/2ku9mu4ufgl

What would you personally charge (in Treasure) for something like these? They take me about 1-2 hours each to complete.

(I hope it is okay that I am asking this here! Sorry if this is considered spam OTL)
@Yeti
Wow this is so helpful!! I wish I found this earlier. I made an art shop but I think I'm actually charging too much. Can you help me?

Here are the examples:
Chibi linearts - http://sta.sh/2myr9snt8yn
Chibis colored - http://sta.sh/2ku9mu4ufgl

What would you personally charge (in Treasure) for something like these? They take me about 1-2 hours each to complete.

(I hope it is okay that I am asking this here! Sorry if this is considered spam OTL)
artshopbanner345_zpsb4451a1f.pngkismethatcherybanner_zps4ff7dd80.png
33ueat0.png
@ailea

i'd love to help, it's totally fine to post here that is
half this threads purpose also i'm glad it was
helpful for you!

those are super cute i love your colouring !

i would say somewhere around 150k-250k?
and then maybe 80-100k for the lineart? i
don't know what your previous prices were
but that is what i would say! thanks for
poppin' in friend also your icon dragon is
an adorable triple rose!
@ailea

i'd love to help, it's totally fine to post here that is
half this threads purpose also i'm glad it was
helpful for you!

those are super cute i love your colouring !

i would say somewhere around 150k-250k?
and then maybe 80-100k for the lineart? i
don't know what your previous prices were
but that is what i would say! thanks for
poppin' in friend also your icon dragon is
an adorable triple rose!
@Yeti

Oh wow apparently I was UNDERpricing. o.o
Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!
@Yeti

Oh wow apparently I was UNDERpricing. o.o
Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it!
artshopbanner345_zpsb4451a1f.pngkismethatcherybanner_zps4ff7dd80.png
33ueat0.png
@ailea

it could be that the market is skyrocketing so poorly right now you might HAVE to undercharge to get clients unfortunately

i would try those prices for maybe a week or something and if you get nobody slowly decrease until you find a comfortable ground.
@ailea

it could be that the market is skyrocketing so poorly right now you might HAVE to undercharge to get clients unfortunately

i would try those prices for maybe a week or something and if you get nobody slowly decrease until you find a comfortable ground.
@Lioness @Yeti

I made this point in another thread, but I can't seem to locate the thing.

Prices are a fickle beast, especially treasure prices. It may be the most common currency, but it's also dreadfully hard to gain - and its value in comparison to gems (and thus USD) has fallen throughout the game's history rather sharply (from some 60:1 to, now, 500:1 or more), but the ratio at which one can MAKE treasure has not changed significantly (or even dropped overall, with dragon prices dropping).

The end result is most players will simply not have enough treasure to pay for the 'proper' conversion, or will be unwilling to spend that much on an art piece - especially a simple one, like a sketch. If it takes a player 8 hours of poking at the Fairgrounds over 4 days to earn 300,000t, is this a fair price to ask for a quick 10-minute sketch made by a self-taught amateur artist? I'm not sure.

Anyway, treasure prices tend to cleave a good deal lower for these reasons, even for professional artists. The arrangement is very good for customers, especially ones who are looking for a lot of different quickie pieces from a lot of artists; bearable, for amateur artists who need practice or portfolio filling more than high-end payments; and quite crap for professional artists who just want to sell their work for a tidy profit.

PS: Just in case you're thinking, 'OH YOU JUST WANT CHEAP ART', keep in mind I, too, am looking to sit in a corner here and sell my art. Don't be quick to judge, yo! I'm both customer AND saleswoman. XD
@Lioness @Yeti

I made this point in another thread, but I can't seem to locate the thing.

Prices are a fickle beast, especially treasure prices. It may be the most common currency, but it's also dreadfully hard to gain - and its value in comparison to gems (and thus USD) has fallen throughout the game's history rather sharply (from some 60:1 to, now, 500:1 or more), but the ratio at which one can MAKE treasure has not changed significantly (or even dropped overall, with dragon prices dropping).

The end result is most players will simply not have enough treasure to pay for the 'proper' conversion, or will be unwilling to spend that much on an art piece - especially a simple one, like a sketch. If it takes a player 8 hours of poking at the Fairgrounds over 4 days to earn 300,000t, is this a fair price to ask for a quick 10-minute sketch made by a self-taught amateur artist? I'm not sure.

Anyway, treasure prices tend to cleave a good deal lower for these reasons, even for professional artists. The arrangement is very good for customers, especially ones who are looking for a lot of different quickie pieces from a lot of artists; bearable, for amateur artists who need practice or portfolio filling more than high-end payments; and quite crap for professional artists who just want to sell their work for a tidy profit.

PS: Just in case you're thinking, 'OH YOU JUST WANT CHEAP ART', keep in mind I, too, am looking to sit in a corner here and sell my art. Don't be quick to judge, yo! I'm both customer AND saleswoman. XD
DQ9DP8W.png
WOW BLESS THIS POST THANK YOU . SO so soso many people on this site undersell themselves SO MUCH its disgusting.
WOW BLESS THIS POST THANK YOU . SO so soso many people on this site undersell themselves SO MUCH its disgusting.
@Azure yes, this is a good point, and i understand where you are comin' from! but it honestly doesn't take that long for me at least? like i feel pretty comfortable earning about 50k a day from various things (pretty much doing nothing but familiars / gathering / selling stuff i find) and i don't spend a lot of time on the computer! maybe i'm lucky or something i dunno! that's kinda why i put 'free' in quotes, though. i mean it totally takes effort to earn your $$$ dragon dolla, but i [i]do[/i] think that it's important to note that treasure is a virtual currency, and thus ultimately no matter how you look at it has 'less' value. not to say that sometimes i don't want a really rad snapper more than an apple, but still you're selling your work for something that can only be used within the bounds of flight rising and can only be made here too from clicking around. also woah yea that wouldn't be fair at all! but that would have only taken them ten minutes! i am talking about people spending at least an hour on their art and getting paid less than 50k! from what i have learned/ my personal opinion, that should never be the case. i understand that skill definitely has a big role in pricing, but i just think under fifty k treasure (unless it's free, or for practice) is totally a different story! this is just my opinion though, i'm sure lots of people will have differing ones as people value things like treasure AND art quite differently! sorry wow this is a MEGA LONG REPLY anyways i hope that cleared up some things, because i agree i don't want a bunch of people running around overcharging either! i'm gonna revise my guide to speak to that as well, thanks for the contrib [img]http://age-of-aincrad.com/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/thumbs_up.png[/img]
@Azure

yes, this is a good point, and i understand where you are comin' from! but it honestly doesn't take that long for me at least? like i feel pretty comfortable earning about 50k a day from various things (pretty much doing nothing but familiars / gathering / selling stuff i find) and i don't spend a lot of time on the computer! maybe i'm lucky or something i dunno!

that's kinda why i put 'free' in quotes, though. i mean it totally takes effort to earn your $$$ dragon dolla, but i do think that it's important to note that treasure is a virtual currency, and thus ultimately no matter how you look at it has 'less' value. not to say that sometimes i don't want a really rad snapper more than an apple, but still you're selling your work for something that can only be used within the bounds of flight rising and can only be made here too from clicking around.

also woah yea that wouldn't be fair at all! but that would have only taken them ten minutes! i am talking about people spending at least an hour on their art and getting paid less than 50k! from what i have learned/ my personal opinion, that should never be the case. i understand that skill definitely has a big role in pricing, but i just think under fifty k treasure (unless it's free, or for practice) is totally a different story!

this is just my opinion though, i'm sure lots of people will have differing ones as people value things like treasure AND art quite differently! sorry wow this is a MEGA LONG REPLY anyways i hope that cleared up some things, because i agree i don't want a bunch of people running around overcharging either! i'm gonna revise my guide to speak to that as well, thanks for the contrib thumbs_up.png
@Ledge

yeah!!!! i wanna see people get the dolla they deserve!
@Ledge

yeah!!!! i wanna see people get the dolla they deserve!
oops i missed your reply, sorry!

@Lioness

azure spoke to your point, but i wanted to say something too.

that is my opinion yes! but as azure said, with the up and down state of things that may not be a possibility at the time being. i still think that i personally would rather try and fail at overcharging then end up undercharging and ultimately regretting it later. if you don't feel comfortable settling with the current conversion rate (because really, a lot of artists DO drastically undercharge themselves) maybe go at a 1:300 or 1:200 ratio.
oops i missed your reply, sorry!

@Lioness

azure spoke to your point, but i wanted to say something too.

that is my opinion yes! but as azure said, with the up and down state of things that may not be a possibility at the time being. i still think that i personally would rather try and fail at overcharging then end up undercharging and ultimately regretting it later. if you don't feel comfortable settling with the current conversion rate (because really, a lot of artists DO drastically undercharge themselves) maybe go at a 1:300 or 1:200 ratio.
@Yeti would you say I'm underpricing? I switched to the 1:300 conversation rate because the treasure gain I noticed was kind of a grind unless you're already really well established, and I wiggled at the prices a little. I'd love ANY feedback, really, as I'm just now trying to take online commissions as an income source really seriously and I'm working on my footing still.
@Yeti would you say I'm underpricing? I switched to the 1:300 conversation rate because the treasure gain I noticed was kind of a grind unless you're already really well established, and I wiggled at the prices a little. I'd love ANY feedback, really, as I'm just now trying to take online commissions as an income source really seriously and I'm working on my footing still.
shadowbadge_51014_zpsa06aab4a.png
1 2 3 4 5 6