Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Spider Friend (warning - pics incoming)
1 2
So I got this little spiderling yesterday. Species - Brachypelma Vagans, commonly known as a Mexican Red Rump. Unsexed at the moment, but I'm just gonna call it a she in the hopes that it is indeed a she lol. I'm calling her Shelob...if you get that reference, you're awesome [quote]Right after I got her out of her shipping vial...that's where the paper towel came from [img]https://i.imgur.com/RaWiQ9A.png[/img][/quote] [quote]She was a bit finicky about eating at first, but I finally got her to munch on something late last night. Looks like she's gonna be a nighttime eater haha! [img]https://i.imgur.com/JrUAVko.png[/img][/quote] Sorry the photos aren't the best quality but yes...here you go!
So I got this little spiderling yesterday. Species - Brachypelma Vagans, commonly known as a Mexican Red Rump.

Unsexed at the moment, but I'm just gonna call it a she in the hopes that it is indeed a she lol. I'm calling her Shelob...if you get that reference, you're awesome
Quote:
Right after I got her out of her shipping vial...that's where the paper towel came from

RaWiQ9A.png
Quote:
She was a bit finicky about eating at first, but I finally got her to munch on something late last night. Looks like she's gonna be a nighttime eater haha!

JrUAVko.png

Sorry the photos aren't the best quality but yes...here you go!
I've no fear of spiders but im going to say it for the sake of my friends. "BURN IT WITH FIRE"

On the other hand, the simple fact you can take care of something (Other than a chicken) speaks well of you. Why Shelob and not Aragog(Hary Potter) or Arachne (Greek spider godess)? Shelob is a little overdone as of late due to the popularity of the Shadow of War game.... although they are all overused due to them being popular.
I've no fear of spiders but im going to say it for the sake of my friends. "BURN IT WITH FIRE"

On the other hand, the simple fact you can take care of something (Other than a chicken) speaks well of you. Why Shelob and not Aragog(Hary Potter) or Arachne (Greek spider godess)? Shelob is a little overdone as of late due to the popularity of the Shadow of War game.... although they are all overused due to them being popular.
The last thing on my list of things to do is try dying
If you wanna live forever, then you will die trying.
@TheDarkerDepth

I don't know I just like the sound of the name. I've never actually played Shadow of War lmao (I only ever read the LotR books/watched the movies)...and could never get into Harry Potter sadly. I don't really care how popular a name is as long as I like the sound of it.

I mean, I was gonna call her Baggins because I kept mispronouncing the 'Vagans' in her name at first. But then I remembered Lord of the Rings had a spider in it and went to look up that name instead.
@TheDarkerDepth

I don't know I just like the sound of the name. I've never actually played Shadow of War lmao (I only ever read the LotR books/watched the movies)...and could never get into Harry Potter sadly. I don't really care how popular a name is as long as I like the sound of it.

I mean, I was gonna call her Baggins because I kept mispronouncing the 'Vagans' in her name at first. But then I remembered Lord of the Rings had a spider in it and went to look up that name instead.
@ZllP
Interesting. Im just a Lore nerd (Even in most things i dont watch/read/play) and happen to have a weird fascination with "odd" names. I read LOTR books, and never watched the movies. i just happen to know the name Shelob from my other friend who owns a spider and called her that.

Baggins is also from the LOTR franchise and would be a great name. Thought of making her a fan-dragon yet?
@ZllP
Interesting. Im just a Lore nerd (Even in most things i dont watch/read/play) and happen to have a weird fascination with "odd" names. I read LOTR books, and never watched the movies. i just happen to know the name Shelob from my other friend who owns a spider and called her that.

Baggins is also from the LOTR franchise and would be a great name. Thought of making her a fan-dragon yet?
The last thing on my list of things to do is try dying
If you wanna live forever, then you will die trying.
Listen, I like the sound of the name. I really don't care how many people use it. Your friend can call their spider whatever they want, and I'll call my spider what I want to call her. Baggins might have been a nice name, but Shelob sounds better in my opinion.
Listen, I like the sound of the name. I really don't care how many people use it. Your friend can call their spider whatever they want, and I'll call my spider what I want to call her. Baggins might have been a nice name, but Shelob sounds better in my opinion.
she's gorgeous!! personally i like the name shelob. i've gone with some "overused" names for my pets too, but they fit their personality so i didn't care too much :')

i'm glad you were able to get her to finally eat, and hopefully she gets comfortable soon. congrats on getting such a beaut!
she's gorgeous!! personally i like the name shelob. i've gone with some "overused" names for my pets too, but they fit their personality so i didn't care too much :')

i'm glad you were able to get her to finally eat, and hopefully she gets comfortable soon. congrats on getting such a beaut!
tumblr_inline_p9tieiGTwc1qbn90k_75sq.giftumblr_inline_p9tifvs2vw1qbn90k_75sq.gif
give her a pat for me. I don’t know a lot about spiders, since the only time I owned one was when I was was in preschool-2nd grade (it got loose and our dog killed it) but pls love her
give her a pat for me. I don’t know a lot about spiders, since the only time I owned one was when I was was in preschool-2nd grade (it got loose and our dog killed it) but pls love her
@ZllP Aw, what a cutie!! Welp, I guess you gotta say goodbye to your sleeping schedule now that she decided her "breakfast/only time she eats" is gonna be midnight!!
@ZllP Aw, what a cutie!! Welp, I guess you gotta say goodbye to your sleeping schedule now that she decided her "breakfast/only time she eats" is gonna be midnight!!
77ec1a36661e11a40962b415b0b10b4babdc0c65.png
@Kataracts

Maybe. She did arrive the same day I tried to feed her though so...I blame most of that on a stressful trip halfway across the country haha! And it really wasn't that late at night...around 9 pm.
@Kataracts

Maybe. She did arrive the same day I tried to feed her though so...I blame most of that on a stressful trip halfway across the country haha! And it really wasn't that late at night...around 9 pm.
[quote]A little size comparison using my thumb. She's a smol bab. And for context, I have small hands [img]https://i.imgur.com/L9V0vWD.jpg[/img][/quote]
Quote:
A little size comparison using my thumb. She's a smol bab. And for context, I have small hands

L9V0vWD.jpg
1 2