Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Thank you, staff for all this art.
1 2
Last night, my boyfriend asked a question that got me wondering:
"So, how many different dragon images could there be?"
At the time, I just said a lot, but today I actually did the math, and well...

12 breeds * 3 lineart per breed = 36 linearts
5 primary * 6 secondary * 5 teriatiary = 150 gene combinations * 67 colors = 10,050 gene-color combinations

36 * 10,050 = 361,800 images currently possible (not including apparel)

Creating a new breed: 3 linearts * 10,050 gene-color combinations = 30,150 images

Creating 1 new gene: 36 linearts * 1 gene * 67 colors = 2,412 images (adding bar and daub at the same time will introduce 4,824 new images to the site)

WOW. SO MUCH ART!
Last night, my boyfriend asked a question that got me wondering:
"So, how many different dragon images could there be?"
At the time, I just said a lot, but today I actually did the math, and well...

5 primary * 6 secondary * 5 teriatiary = 150 gene combinations * 67 colors = 10,050 gene-color combinations

36 * 10,050 = 361,800 images currently possible (not including apparel)

Creating a new breed: 3 linearts * 10,050 gene-color combinations = 30,150 images

Creating 1 new gene: 36 linearts * 1 gene * 67 colors = 2,412 images (adding bar and daub at the same time will introduce 4,824 new images to the site)

WOW. SO MUCH ART!
I knew it was a lot but...WOW. I'm impressed!
I knew it was a lot but...WOW. I'm impressed!
tumblr_n6xwujrYxg1rd5h0co1_500.png
she/her +2 FR time
Now add the amount of familiars, monsters, apparel, food and other items accessable on the site. Multiply all of the apparel by how many dragons there are *for each breed and gender has unique art after all*

Now contemplate about how there are 11 flights. Each flight has it's own unique banner at the top of the page and their own unique nest artwork. Let's not even start with the different kinds of eggs ... (especially when rotton eggs had their own artwork alone)

Would you like some more insight or are ya good for now? =D

@Denim

Now add the amount of familiars, monsters, apparel, food and other items accessable on the site. Multiply all of the apparel by how many dragons there are *for each breed and gender has unique art after all*

Now contemplate about how there are 11 flights. Each flight has it's own unique banner at the top of the page and their own unique nest artwork. Let's not even start with the different kinds of eggs ... (especially when rotton eggs had their own artwork alone)

Would you like some more insight or are ya good for now? =D

@Denim

DragonEnchantress - Gaia | #19969 - Wajas
DEForeverArcane.png
Oh my. *covers eyes*

SO MUCH WORK I HAVE NO CLUE HOW THEY HANDLED IT
Oh my. *covers eyes*

SO MUCH WORK I HAVE NO CLUE HOW THEY HANDLED IT
I think they do each lineart+gene+color combo seperately, not as an entire dragon. It's still an impressive number! I do hope for the sake of their hands they actually do each lineart+gene combo and then it gets colored by some other process, perhaps a script. That would cut the number down significantly, but it's still a damn huge number!
I think they do each lineart+gene+color combo seperately, not as an entire dragon. It's still an impressive number! I do hope for the sake of their hands they actually do each lineart+gene combo and then it gets colored by some other process, perhaps a script. That would cut the number down significantly, but it's still a damn huge number!
xT454ue.png
Yup, the art is amazing, and there's so much of it! I love how even the smallest items have so much work put into them.

@Mintww No, they don't get colored by a script! I mean, it's not done completely by hand, it's just a color-fill kind of thing from what I recall, but there's still an artist sitting there actually doing the colors. It's insane!
Yup, the art is amazing, and there's so much of it! I love how even the smallest items have so much work put into them.

@Mintww No, they don't get colored by a script! I mean, it's not done completely by hand, it's just a color-fill kind of thing from what I recall, but there's still an artist sitting there actually doing the colors. It's insane!
@Quinhwyvar @DragnEnchantres @ Opaline It is QUITE a bit of work, this site! Yet they do all this to make it appealing and beautiful for us TwT They need more love than they get.

@Mintww I hope they do, it'd be overwhelming to do all of that separately O.O even with those methods, it's a huge undertaking. Not starting my own site any time soon...
@Quinhwyvar @DragnEnchantres @ Opaline It is QUITE a bit of work, this site! Yet they do all this to make it appealing and beautiful for us TwT They need more love than they get.

@Mintww I hope they do, it'd be overwhelming to do all of that separately O.O even with those methods, it's a huge undertaking. Not starting my own site any time soon...
I'm not sure if my brain is just asleep or not, but shouldn't there be much more? Because there are combinations of colors in sets of 3 for each dragon.
I'm not sure if my brain is just asleep or not, but shouldn't there be much more? Because there are combinations of colors in sets of 3 for each dragon.
tumblr_oo2jy3Tl6r1tsrduio1_500.png
Quote:

I haven't fully checked the math, but this isn't quite correct. This is how it would work out if you only had one color per dragon with three genes on top of it, but you have three colors per dragon.

So replace the 67 with 67^3 and you get: 45,114,450 in this stage.

They also wouldn't draw all of the colors, etc by hand: they probably automate as much of it as they can. So once you know how a color plays out, you wouldn't draw every possible combination of colors and you wouldn't even necessarily draw every color once. So the actual number of drawings could be much smaller.
Quote:

I haven't fully checked the math, but this isn't quite correct. This is how it would work out if you only had one color per dragon with three genes on top of it, but you have three colors per dragon.

So replace the 67 with 67^3 and you get: 45,114,450 in this stage.

They also wouldn't draw all of the colors, etc by hand: they probably automate as much of it as they can. So once you know how a color plays out, you wouldn't draw every possible combination of colors and you wouldn't even necessarily draw every color once. So the actual number of drawings could be much smaller.
@hrafn hm! I do believe you are right! Pardon my math-y mistakes- it's not exactly my forte. MAN, that's a lot of variety.
@hrafn hm! I do believe you are right! Pardon my math-y mistakes- it's not exactly my forte. MAN, that's a lot of variety.
1 2