Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Brandon Sanderson Appreciation Thread
Brandon Sanderson Brainwashing Recruitment Appreciation Thread

Reasons you should read Brandon Sanderson novels or just love him
  • Fantastically original fantasy universes
  • Some of the best contemporary worldbuilding I have ever seen
  • Compelling, original, diverse, and incredibly realistic characters
  • Some of the most original magic systems you'll find anywhere
  • Multiple genres: short story modern-day thrillers, epic fantasy trilogies, wacky children's novels, provoking psychological shorts, a gritty superhero novel even!
  • He does a great podcast aimed at writers who want to get better at writing
  • He's very prolific: at least one epic-length book a year, with short stories etc. smattered in. No George R. R. Martining here!
  • I love him
  • So original
  • He's the best
LIST O' BOOKS
Mistborn
This is Sanderson's best known series, beginning with Mistborn. Although a trilogy, each book is a contained narrative, meaning that none of them end with some huge cliffhanger. Arguably, none of his books are like that. Sure, there's foreshadowing, but the big questions raised in the novel will get answered in that book.

Here's what it says on the back:
Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.
Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.
Tell me that does not intrigue you. C'mon, just tell me!

SEQUELS: The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages, The Final Empire

More to come!
Brandon Sanderson Brainwashing Recruitment Appreciation Thread

Reasons you should read Brandon Sanderson novels or just love him
  • Fantastically original fantasy universes
  • Some of the best contemporary worldbuilding I have ever seen
  • Compelling, original, diverse, and incredibly realistic characters
  • Some of the most original magic systems you'll find anywhere
  • Multiple genres: short story modern-day thrillers, epic fantasy trilogies, wacky children's novels, provoking psychological shorts, a gritty superhero novel even!
  • He does a great podcast aimed at writers who want to get better at writing
  • He's very prolific: at least one epic-length book a year, with short stories etc. smattered in. No George R. R. Martining here!
  • I love him
  • So original
  • He's the best
LIST O' BOOKS
Mistborn
This is Sanderson's best known series, beginning with Mistborn. Although a trilogy, each book is a contained narrative, meaning that none of them end with some huge cliffhanger. Arguably, none of his books are like that. Sure, there's foreshadowing, but the big questions raised in the novel will get answered in that book.

Here's what it says on the back:
Brandon Sanderson, fantasy's newest master tale spinner, author of the acclaimed debut Elantris, dares to turn a genre on its head by asking a simple question: What if the hero of prophecy fails? What kind of world results when the Dark Lord is in charge? The answer will be found in the Mistborn Trilogy, a saga of surprises and magical martial-arts action that begins in Mistborn.

For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark.
Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Only then does he reveal his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot.
But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets, and gotten it. She will have to learn to trust, if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.
Tell me that does not intrigue you. C'mon, just tell me!

SEQUELS: The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages, The Final Empire

More to come!
296kyt5.jpg
YES. @aquabutt will understand too.
YES. @aquabutt will understand too.
Current Project A: BORDERLANDS! Got some brights for sale/trade? Shoot me a message, son!
/WUB WUB/
Current Project B: MASS EFFECT! I'm shooting for the stars with this one. Dragons for the team, planets, and the Normandy herself! Let's talk breeding programs.
Oh hey look it's MY FAVORITE AUTHOR.
Oh hey look it's MY FAVORITE AUTHOR.
I plan on making a sort of master post of Brandon. I started out writing about him in my profile, but after a while I decided I should just make a forum post XD
I plan on making a sort of master post of Brandon. I started out writing about him in my profile, but after a while I decided I should just make a forum post XD
296kyt5.jpg
Excellent writer, indeed. Mistborn Trilogy and Warbreaker are amazing. All fans of fantasy books should read these.

Way of Kings is leaving me unimpressed so far, though.
Excellent writer, indeed. Mistborn Trilogy and Warbreaker are amazing. All fans of fantasy books should read these.

Way of Kings is leaving me unimpressed so far, though.
DQ9DP8W.png
@Azure Imo Way of Kings got a lot better towards the end. As for how good it is compared to other books written by him I wouldn't really know. I've so far only read the books he finished in the Wheel of time series (plus Way of Kings obviously). He did an amazing job on those though, he really breathed new life to that series while still staying true to the original author.
@Azure Imo Way of Kings got a lot better towards the end. As for how good it is compared to other books written by him I wouldn't really know. I've so far only read the books he finished in the Wheel of time series (plus Way of Kings obviously). He did an amazing job on those though, he really breathed new life to that series while still staying true to the original author.
@Azure @Daishar Way of Kings and the encompassing Stormlight Chronicles are actually Sanderson's first attempts at an ongoing series. All of his books before it were strictly stand-alones, even if they did have sequels, so I'm really happy with how well it came out. I actually think his work on the Wheel of Time really helped him with the complexities, though I haven't really read all of those books myself. I currently have the second book in that series in the back of my truck, a little reward for when I get done with finals.
@Azure @Daishar Way of Kings and the encompassing Stormlight Chronicles are actually Sanderson's first attempts at an ongoing series. All of his books before it were strictly stand-alones, even if they did have sequels, so I'm really happy with how well it came out. I actually think his work on the Wheel of Time really helped him with the complexities, though I haven't really read all of those books myself. I currently have the second book in that series in the back of my truck, a little reward for when I get done with finals.
296kyt5.jpg
@Jathar I see, that explains a bit. I'm actually going to pick up Mistborn now that I'm on break. But from what I've read of Sanderson so far I'm quite positive he will be one of my favourite authors.
@Jathar I see, that explains a bit. I'm actually going to pick up Mistborn now that I'm on break. But from what I've read of Sanderson so far I'm quite positive he will be one of my favourite authors.
He's going to be at Salt Lake Comic Con FanX this weekend. I intend to touch his face.
He's going to be at Salt Lake Comic Con FanX this weekend. I intend to touch his face.
Current Project A: BORDERLANDS! Got some brights for sale/trade? Shoot me a message, son!
/WUB WUB/
Current Project B: MASS EFFECT! I'm shooting for the stars with this one. Dragons for the team, planets, and the Normandy herself! Let's talk breeding programs.