Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Customize Coli controls!
I think being able to set which keys did what would really help streamline grinding.

They implemented the keyboard controls to make it better to control in the first place, why not improve upon it? Cause I don't know about y'all, but having the keys so close together really cramps up my hands.

I reckon it'd be a pretty good addition to the site! What do y'all think?
I think being able to set which keys did what would really help streamline grinding.

They implemented the keyboard controls to make it better to control in the first place, why not improve upon it? Cause I don't know about y'all, but having the keys so close together really cramps up my hands.

I reckon it'd be a pretty good addition to the site! What do y'all think?
@Haxonosh

Always support for this. It's the one real downside to the otherwise-wonderful keybind system, imo.

1. Keyboard orientation: some, like you, might not want to use keys that are close together. Others do want to but use nontraditional keyboards.

2. Particular letters being assigned multiple functions often causes mistakes if there's lag/delay/etc. (Defending when you meant to use the attack in the third slot, because your original A for attack wasn't registered, etc.)

3. Players who don't often use particular functions often could either remove the bind entirely or bind them to out-of-the-way keys.

4. Functions that are not currently bound could be added without disruption (including fight on, as is so often suggested).

5. Some keys have other functions and people would prefer to avoid them for that reason. As a specific example, my mobile device has a QWERTY keyboard, and it's great to be able to fight in the coli using that...except that the W, S, and R keys all have browser functions, so when I need to hit them during a battle, I have to immediately click back out of window selection/search/readability mode.

(I know this isn't a common mobile issue, but I've heard in mentioned re: desktop browsers too.)

Or, for that matter, if a particular key on your keyboard is broken or sticks, that would be a major pain.
@Haxonosh

Always support for this. It's the one real downside to the otherwise-wonderful keybind system, imo.

1. Keyboard orientation: some, like you, might not want to use keys that are close together. Others do want to but use nontraditional keyboards.

2. Particular letters being assigned multiple functions often causes mistakes if there's lag/delay/etc. (Defending when you meant to use the attack in the third slot, because your original A for attack wasn't registered, etc.)

3. Players who don't often use particular functions often could either remove the bind entirely or bind them to out-of-the-way keys.

4. Functions that are not currently bound could be added without disruption (including fight on, as is so often suggested).

5. Some keys have other functions and people would prefer to avoid them for that reason. As a specific example, my mobile device has a QWERTY keyboard, and it's great to be able to fight in the coli using that...except that the W, S, and R keys all have browser functions, so when I need to hit them during a battle, I have to immediately click back out of window selection/search/readability mode.

(I know this isn't a common mobile issue, but I've heard in mentioned re: desktop browsers too.)

Or, for that matter, if a particular key on your keyboard is broken or sticks, that would be a major pain.
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
@lara8

Yes! That's exactly what I mean!

And great point about the mobile issues, I never would've thought about that!
@lara8

Yes! That's exactly what I mean!

And great point about the mobile issues, I never would've thought about that!
@Haxonosh

I doubt it's a common mobile issue, since very few devices have physical keyboards these days; I use a Blackberry Classic specifically because I hate touchscreens, lol.

(But it's golden for absently fidgeting through the coli while I'm more occupied with something else.)
@Haxonosh

I doubt it's a common mobile issue, since very few devices have physical keyboards these days; I use a Blackberry Classic specifically because I hate touchscreens, lol.

(But it's golden for absently fidgeting through the coli while I'm more occupied with something else.)
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
@lara8

Oh for sure, but there's probably a fair few people who also use physical keyboards for the same reason, so the option to change controls would be swell lol
@lara8

Oh for sure, but there's probably a fair few people who also use physical keyboards for the same reason, so the option to change controls would be swell lol
@Haxonosh

Absolutely, even if it only affected my desktop use I'd do some rearranging. It's just more of an inconvenience on mobile because of the browser-function keys (which, again, I believe is also a desktop issue for some).
@Haxonosh

Absolutely, even if it only affected my desktop use I'd do some rearranging. It's just more of an inconvenience on mobile because of the browser-function keys (which, again, I believe is also a desktop issue for some).
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
Yes please. I'd be more likely to use the keybinds if I could set my own custom ones. I'm so right hand dominant that I find the left handed orientation of the keys very awkward and uncomfortable to use.
Yes please. I'd be more likely to use the keybinds if I could set my own custom ones. I'm so right hand dominant that I find the left handed orientation of the keys very awkward and uncomfortable to use.
70963472_XPWFcmaFImCJJZ5.png