Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Bearded dragon cage help?
So I'm starting to pool my money and having been researching Bearded dragons and what enclosures are good for them, but I want to know if anyone here is able to help of a few things?

1) Flooring
I've heard that sand/substrate is generally bad and may cause impaction. Is that true? If so, are there any good recommendations on what to use as a flooring for them?

2) 40 gallon tank
Most people I've seen recommend a 40 gallon tank. I've read it's for adults, but will Juveniles be fine in a tank that big? It's only one Beardie, not to mention my first one ever, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Are there any better tanks that could be better over all for them? Anything larger then a 40 perhaps?

3) Live food
I've heard meal worms shouldn't be given often, and I'm planning to not feed them to my little Beardie. Crickets and pellets will be his/her's main diet for a few days/weeks until I can truly look through all the bearded dragon meal options. Any suggestions that you guys can give before hand? I want to make the transition from one home to another comfortable. Is there a certain kind of container I should keep the live bugs in?

I think that's about it, thanks in advance!
So I'm starting to pool my money and having been researching Bearded dragons and what enclosures are good for them, but I want to know if anyone here is able to help of a few things?

1) Flooring
I've heard that sand/substrate is generally bad and may cause impaction. Is that true? If so, are there any good recommendations on what to use as a flooring for them?

2) 40 gallon tank
Most people I've seen recommend a 40 gallon tank. I've read it's for adults, but will Juveniles be fine in a tank that big? It's only one Beardie, not to mention my first one ever, so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Are there any better tanks that could be better over all for them? Anything larger then a 40 perhaps?

3) Live food
I've heard meal worms shouldn't be given often, and I'm planning to not feed them to my little Beardie. Crickets and pellets will be his/her's main diet for a few days/weeks until I can truly look through all the bearded dragon meal options. Any suggestions that you guys can give before hand? I want to make the transition from one home to another comfortable. Is there a certain kind of container I should keep the live bugs in?

I think that's about it, thanks in advance!
I used to work at a pet store (plus much independent studies and years on reptile forums) and successfully rescued 3 beardies, so I've definitely got some advice ;) Flooring - definitely avoid sands unless you sift natural sand such as playground sand. The stuff you can get from pet stores is not good for any lizards, especially calcium sands, which can cause impactions. Just from personal experience, you may want to give your beardie a box of sand so they can dig, because that stuff gets everywhere. I have used everything from newspaper to sand to slate tiles, and I'm now using linoleum flooring for ease of cleaning. Tiles can be nice, but keep in mind that when your dragon poos that it'll get in between all of the little nooks and crannies of the substrate. This goes doubly so for sand. Tank - Definitely go with a 40 gallon. Juvies will do just fine in a larger tank, and you can always cordon off a smaller area. It will save you money in the long run since you won't have to size up your tank after your beardie grows a few inches (and babies grow fast!). Tanks larger than 40 gallons are difficult to find that suit beardies and don't cost an arm and a leg or weigh a ton. Avoid 55 gallon tanks, they're only a foot wide and your beardie will have a hard time turning. 40 gallons are 18" x 36", and most beardies will get to be around 18 - 22 inches total. If you want a really nice cage, I've always drooled over http://www.cagesbydesign.com/t-hybridreptile.aspx. Expensive, but worth. There are a few tutorials out there for building your own cage. Provided that you have the tools required, this is probably the most cost effective way of getting the best bang for your buck. Back when I was on the bearded dragon forums, this was the favored custom cage plans - http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/ Live Food - You are correct, meal worms aren't the best for beardies. Too much chitlin (shell) and not enough nutrition. I would plan for crickets, but be prepared to go through a lot during your beardie's first year. Mine would pack down 20-30 in a single sitting and stare at me like they were starving. I would also avoid pellets, I know they've come a fair ways in recent years but none of mine would touch the stuff. Collard greens are a great staple food, plus they can be frozen and keep for a few months. A lot cheaper than pellets in the long run, trust me :) You can keep live bugs in larger tupperware containers or moving boxes, just if you have crickets be warned - the @#)(!@# thrice accursed insects can escape from sealed plastic bags. I just had this happen about 2 nights ago. Was not fun. Here's a great website with beardie nutrition facts - http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Just a few other pieces of advice~ Keep one beardie per cage. There will always be a dominant beardie in the group, and with two in a cage one won't get enough food, plus there's the possibility of breeding, fights, etc. I've seen a few bad incidents caused because one beardie was agressive. UVB lighting - Don't skimp! 10.0 Reptisuns work great, I like using the fluorescent tube style. Always change your light out every 6-8 months or your dragon will get Metabolic Bone Disorder. UVB light allows diurnal reptiles to process calcium, and without it their bones will become soft and easily broken/twisted. Kana, one of my rescues, has permanent damage to her ribs due to MBD, and I have to be super careful to make sure she doesn't get any worse. Food part 2 - Order your proteins in bulk if at all possible, it's much cheaper than buying from the pet store every week. Crickets are a total pain to keep, however, there are other options for feeder insects. Superworms are great once your beardie hits the 15" length from nose to tail tip, there is a bend in their GI tract that gets a bit wider so they can handle the hard shells. Phoenix worms are amazing, not only for their nutritional content but also for how beardies go nuts for them. Food part 3 - Babies should eat about 75-90% of their meals as protein and the rest as salad. Adults should eat about 75% salad/25% protein. Food part 4 - Beardies are notorious for changing their tastes. What they devour one day they may not touch the next. Switch up greens and add fruits to get them to eat their salad. Good resources - Aside from the already linked stuff, the forums over here - https://www.beardeddragon.org/ are a magical collection of knowledge. It's my go-to for any new questions I may have Plan on saving about $300 (https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/newbies-guide-what-to-buy/) for the initial purchase of supplies and dragon if you're in the US, and don't be afraid to visit reptile shows! They'll often have gorgeous, well bred dragons for sale. Also, be very wary of what people at the box reptile stores tell you. Sadly, reptile care isn't taught correctly, and often kits are junk. You're better off buying the things you need separately instead of as a kit. I'd recommend the bd forums as your primary source of information ;) You'll likely spend about $35 every 6 months on a UVB bulb, at least $20 a month on food (especially when they're babies). Sorry if I rambled/gave too much info, I used to do this over on the bd forums a lot ^^; [img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/544695_10100273424412676_1720759717_n.jpg[/img]
I used to work at a pet store (plus much independent studies and years on reptile forums) and successfully rescued 3 beardies, so I've definitely got some advice ;)

Flooring - definitely avoid sands unless you sift natural sand such as playground sand. The stuff you can get from pet stores is not good for any lizards, especially calcium sands, which can cause impactions. Just from personal experience, you may want to give your beardie a box of sand so they can dig, because that stuff gets everywhere. I have used everything from newspaper to sand to slate tiles, and I'm now using linoleum flooring for ease of cleaning. Tiles can be nice, but keep in mind that when your dragon poos that it'll get in between all of the little nooks and crannies of the substrate. This goes doubly so for sand.

Tank - Definitely go with a 40 gallon. Juvies will do just fine in a larger tank, and you can always cordon off a smaller area. It will save you money in the long run since you won't have to size up your tank after your beardie grows a few inches (and babies grow fast!). Tanks larger than 40 gallons are difficult to find that suit beardies and don't cost an arm and a leg or weigh a ton. Avoid 55 gallon tanks, they're only a foot wide and your beardie will have a hard time turning. 40 gallons are 18" x 36", and most beardies will get to be around 18 - 22 inches total.
If you want a really nice cage, I've always drooled over http://www.cagesbydesign.com/t-hybridreptile.aspx. Expensive, but worth.
There are a few tutorials out there for building your own cage. Provided that you have the tools required, this is probably the most cost effective way of getting the best bang for your buck. Back when I was on the bearded dragon forums, this was the favored custom cage plans - http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/

Live Food - You are correct, meal worms aren't the best for beardies. Too much chitlin (shell) and not enough nutrition. I would plan for crickets, but be prepared to go through a lot during your beardie's first year. Mine would pack down 20-30 in a single sitting and stare at me like they were starving. I would also avoid pellets, I know they've come a fair ways in recent years but none of mine would touch the stuff. Collard greens are a great staple food, plus they can be frozen and keep for a few months. A lot cheaper than pellets in the long run, trust me :) You can keep live bugs in larger tupperware containers or moving boxes, just if you have crickets be warned - the @#)(!@# thrice accursed insects can escape from sealed plastic bags. I just had this happen about 2 nights ago. Was not fun.
Here's a great website with beardie nutrition facts - http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Just a few other pieces of advice~
Keep one beardie per cage. There will always be a dominant beardie in the group, and with two in a cage one won't get enough food, plus there's the possibility of breeding, fights, etc. I've seen a few bad incidents caused because one beardie was agressive.

UVB lighting - Don't skimp! 10.0 Reptisuns work great, I like using the fluorescent tube style. Always change your light out every 6-8 months or your dragon will get Metabolic Bone Disorder. UVB light allows diurnal reptiles to process calcium, and without it their bones will become soft and easily broken/twisted. Kana, one of my rescues, has permanent damage to her ribs due to MBD, and I have to be super careful to make sure she doesn't get any worse.

Food part 2 - Order your proteins in bulk if at all possible, it's much cheaper than buying from the pet store every week. Crickets are a total pain to keep, however, there are other options for feeder insects. Superworms are great once your beardie hits the 15" length from nose to tail tip, there is a bend in their GI tract that gets a bit wider so they can handle the hard shells. Phoenix worms are amazing, not only for their nutritional content but also for how beardies go nuts for them.

Food part 3 - Babies should eat about 75-90% of their meals as protein and the rest as salad. Adults should eat about 75% salad/25% protein.

Food part 4 - Beardies are notorious for changing their tastes. What they devour one day they may not touch the next. Switch up greens and add fruits to get them to eat their salad.

Good resources - Aside from the already linked stuff, the forums over here - https://www.beardeddragon.org/ are a magical collection of knowledge. It's my go-to for any new questions I may have

Plan on saving about $300 (https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/newbies-guide-what-to-buy/) for the initial purchase of supplies and dragon if you're in the US, and don't be afraid to visit reptile shows! They'll often have gorgeous, well bred dragons for sale. Also, be very wary of what people at the box reptile stores tell you. Sadly, reptile care isn't taught correctly, and often kits are junk. You're better off buying the things you need separately instead of as a kit. I'd recommend the bd forums as your primary source of information ;)

You'll likely spend about $35 every 6 months on a UVB bulb, at least $20 a month on food (especially when they're babies).

Sorry if I rambled/gave too much info, I used to do this over on the bd forums a lot ^^;
544695_10100273424412676_1720759717_n.jpg
Check out my Patreon!
Avoid any loose substrates. If they can ingest it, they will and it can cause impaction. Slate tile is really great as it is easy to clean, holds heat well, and will keep their nails filed. Plus you only have to buy it once and unless you manage to break it, will never have to replace it. Newspaper and paper towels are easy as well but if you're feeding insects outside of a dish, they'll hide under the folds. If you want to let them dig, you can make a dig box and fill it with edible substrates such as flax seed or alfalfa pellets.

40 gallon is like the minimum for an adult. It would be good to keep a baby in, just section it off if needed. Also get a tube ReptiSun 10.0, NO COILS as they can cause serious eye problems and don't give off the UVB they claim to. ReptiSun 10.0 tubes are about the only kind that can be trusted. You also want nothing in the way of the bulb, even a screen. Either mount it in the tank or over the open top.

For live food, mealworms shouldn't be fed to babies, only to adults if you have no choice. The shell can't be digested and can cause impaction in babies. They have low nutrition anyway so shouldn't really be bothered with. Wax worms make a tasty treat but aren't very nutritious either.
Crickets are good but should be coated with calcium 7 times a week and a multivitamin about 4 times a week. Another great staple insect is dubia roaches, if they are legal where you live. The thought is gross to most people, but they are packed with nutrition, easy to keep alive until feeding time, don't cannibalize each other as readily as crickets do, and can't climb slick surfaces meaning you can toss them into a deep ceramic dish so they can't get away from your beardie. They also don't bite on reptiles like crickets (which can cause infection) so it isn't quite as worrying if they are lose in the terrarium overnight. They can be kept in a plastic container with small airholes and egg crate. I feed them whatever vegetables my dragon doesn't eat by the end of the day.The best works to feed are Phoenix worms, also known as Repti-Worms. Lots of calcium, low phosphorus. Great as a mainstay or supplemental feeder. Pelleted food is worthless, honestly. It's all filler, little nutrition. They don't need it and it's expensive for what it is. A baby should be getting about 75% insects and 25% fresh vegetables.

If you have a Tumblr, I highly recommend this blog. It's run by several knowledgeable dragon keepers who are always willing to answer questions.
And here's a good resource when it comes to feeding
here
Avoid any loose substrates. If they can ingest it, they will and it can cause impaction. Slate tile is really great as it is easy to clean, holds heat well, and will keep their nails filed. Plus you only have to buy it once and unless you manage to break it, will never have to replace it. Newspaper and paper towels are easy as well but if you're feeding insects outside of a dish, they'll hide under the folds. If you want to let them dig, you can make a dig box and fill it with edible substrates such as flax seed or alfalfa pellets.

40 gallon is like the minimum for an adult. It would be good to keep a baby in, just section it off if needed. Also get a tube ReptiSun 10.0, NO COILS as they can cause serious eye problems and don't give off the UVB they claim to. ReptiSun 10.0 tubes are about the only kind that can be trusted. You also want nothing in the way of the bulb, even a screen. Either mount it in the tank or over the open top.

For live food, mealworms shouldn't be fed to babies, only to adults if you have no choice. The shell can't be digested and can cause impaction in babies. They have low nutrition anyway so shouldn't really be bothered with. Wax worms make a tasty treat but aren't very nutritious either.
Crickets are good but should be coated with calcium 7 times a week and a multivitamin about 4 times a week. Another great staple insect is dubia roaches, if they are legal where you live. The thought is gross to most people, but they are packed with nutrition, easy to keep alive until feeding time, don't cannibalize each other as readily as crickets do, and can't climb slick surfaces meaning you can toss them into a deep ceramic dish so they can't get away from your beardie. They also don't bite on reptiles like crickets (which can cause infection) so it isn't quite as worrying if they are lose in the terrarium overnight. They can be kept in a plastic container with small airholes and egg crate. I feed them whatever vegetables my dragon doesn't eat by the end of the day.The best works to feed are Phoenix worms, also known as Repti-Worms. Lots of calcium, low phosphorus. Great as a mainstay or supplemental feeder. Pelleted food is worthless, honestly. It's all filler, little nutrition. They don't need it and it's expensive for what it is. A baby should be getting about 75% insects and 25% fresh vegetables.

If you have a Tumblr, I highly recommend this blog. It's run by several knowledgeable dragon keepers who are always willing to answer questions.
And here's a good resource when it comes to feeding
here
@Aether
@Nightcrawler

Ohhh thanks you guys! This actually helped me quite a lot, I've always found it better to get information from people like you.
I'll make sure to try and avoid pellets, the ones I was looking at seemed to be getting bad reviews, so I think I'll definitely find fruits and veggies my new little dragon will be willing to eat - as long as it's good for him/her, of course!
I've heard of Dubia Roaches and Phoenix worms, I'm unsure of where I can obtain them, but I'm willing to look around because of all the great things I've been hearing about them
Thanks again guys! I plan to set up my tank tomorrow if anything, I just need to re-arrange a few things
@Aether
@Nightcrawler

Ohhh thanks you guys! This actually helped me quite a lot, I've always found it better to get information from people like you.
I'll make sure to try and avoid pellets, the ones I was looking at seemed to be getting bad reviews, so I think I'll definitely find fruits and veggies my new little dragon will be willing to eat - as long as it's good for him/her, of course!
I've heard of Dubia Roaches and Phoenix worms, I'm unsure of where I can obtain them, but I'm willing to look around because of all the great things I've been hearing about them
Thanks again guys! I plan to set up my tank tomorrow if anything, I just need to re-arrange a few things
@Bayon you can always check around at reptile shops in your area. Sometimes they bred dubias there. If not, there are a lot of sites that will ship them out to you. That's the easiest way to get Phoenix worms too.
I been using this site as well as this one. Best prices I could find. A lot of sites have guarantees on their bugs too in case they're DoA.
@Bayon you can always check around at reptile shops in your area. Sometimes they bred dubias there. If not, there are a lot of sites that will ship them out to you. That's the easiest way to get Phoenix worms too.
I been using this site as well as this one. Best prices I could find. A lot of sites have guarantees on their bugs too in case they're DoA.
@Nightcrawler Oh I've been meaning to check that site out, and I'm going out today to look around at some reptile shops too! I'm just hoping their good shops, my friend says that they aren't the best in town but I don't have a car to travel much further then where I'm going haha;;
@Nightcrawler Oh I've been meaning to check that site out, and I'm going out today to look around at some reptile shops too! I'm just hoping their good shops, my friend says that they aren't the best in town but I don't have a car to travel much further then where I'm going haha;;