Back

Suggestions

Make Flight Rising better by sharing your ideas!
TOPIC | Legacy eye type
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 57 58
I agree with the above. And the staff's favorite tactic of "say nothing, don't address it, hope it goes away" has really burned my desire to continue playing. I figure as long as the staff don't care to address these very serious changes, the only thing I can do is not support the site in any way. Legacy eyes would be a good step into mending that broken trust and confidence in the staff, but at this point I've lost my optimism... I still find myself checking in every few days and hoping, sigh.
I agree with the above. And the staff's favorite tactic of "say nothing, don't address it, hope it goes away" has really burned my desire to continue playing. I figure as long as the staff don't care to address these very serious changes, the only thing I can do is not support the site in any way. Legacy eyes would be a good step into mending that broken trust and confidence in the staff, but at this point I've lost my optimism... I still find myself checking in every few days and hoping, sigh.
ccDyspX.png
FULL SUPPORT.

Some of my dragons had eyes matching pri's or tert's and now no longer do, and it makes me sad. And on some, the new shades just clash with their natural colors... like with my random progen.
FULL SUPPORT.

Some of my dragons had eyes matching pri's or tert's and now no longer do, and it makes me sad. And on some, the new shades just clash with their natural colors... like with my random progen.
EST-FTM-any pronouns
x7T6htX.pngx7T6htX.pngx7T6htX.png
[quote name="Kryda" date="2018-06-26 14:35:53" ] This is what really gets to me. Many users have spent real money to get their dragons to look the way they want, and those dragons now look completely different. In many cases, they look much worse. What those users paid for was just taken away from them, and apparently they're expected not to care. Frankly, that's unreasonable. I suppose this isn't as consequential as spending money, but I'll mention it anyway - what about the users who have undergone lengthy breeding projects for very specific dragons? Users who spent months or even years breeding for a particular color combo, only to have the eyes suddenly clash because of this update? I've had a project on another site be ruined after I spent ~2 years on it, and let me just say, [i]it does not feel good.[/i] That particular instance made me so bitter that I can't bring myself to use the site anymore. Now it's happening here to other users because the new eyes ruin the plans people have been working towards for so long. A Legacy eye type would be a good compromise, letting people that want the old eyes have them while letting those that don't keep the new ones. Users that paid for their dragons with [i]very specific color schemes[/i] deserve to be able to keep them. Really, anyone whose dragons are now completely dead-eyed (ie. Guardians, Imperials) deserve to have that rectified. Just let people restore their dragons to the way they're supposed to look. [/quote] I'm sorry to hear about your breeding project! That really sucks. :( One could argue that the same sort of thing happened to users who spent money on/bred for pastel dragons that were drastically altered by the CWE, but... I think a crucial difference is that the colour wheel [i]had[/i] to be automated/standardized if it was going to expand as much as it did. Previously, the 67(?) colours on the wheel were hand-done for every gene, which was already a lot of work-- and then 100 or so new colours were added. There's no way staff could do that all by hand, at least not without taking several months for one gene! Still sucks, and I don't get why the pastels got neon'd, but... the process behind it makes more sense, at least. Common eyes, on the other hand, [b]didn't need to be standardized[/b]. There are only 11 Flights to make eye types for-- that's far less than the amount of dragon colours and genes that were originally hand-drawn! On top of that, we [i]know[/i] we're getting new eye types. There's no logical reason why Legacy eyes couldn't be added in. It's not like the CWE, where we'd have to have gotten "old Ice" and "new Ice" after the update, which would probably be hard to implement. The Legacy eye art is already there for all breeds, ages, and genders. New breeds can have pseudo-Legacy eyes, or have Common and Legacy be the same. The art is already there and ready to be used, like it had been for the last five years. [quote name="Nineteen" date="2018-06-26 14:59:25" ] I agree with the above. And the staff's favorite tactic of "say nothing, don't address it, hope it goes away" has really burned my desire to continue playing. I figure as long as the staff don't care to address these very serious changes, the only thing I can do is not support the site in any way. Legacy eyes would be a good step into mending that broken trust and confidence in the staff, but at this point I've lost my optimism... I still find myself checking in every few days and hoping, sigh. [/quote] Yeah, same here. I've got adblock on and won't be buying Gems until this issue is taken care of-- not "mentioned in an update and dismissed again"; I want it to [i]actually[/i] be listened to. ;__; I still come online every day, same as I always have for the last 5 years... but honestly, how hideous the new Common eyes are on almost all of my dragons, how bad Light Common looks on most hatchlings I breed, and the "ignore it and see if it goes away" feeling you mentioned has kind of killed some of my love for the site. New eye types are a cool idea, but they can't salvage my dozens of beloved permas that have been wrecked by the update. Like I've said in earlier posts, I want to have faith; this is/was my favorite website... but I just don't know anymore. :c
Kryda wrote on 2018-06-26 14:35:53:
This is what really gets to me. Many users have spent real money to get their dragons to look the way they want, and those dragons now look completely different. In many cases, they look much worse. What those users paid for was just taken away from them, and apparently they're expected not to care. Frankly, that's unreasonable.

I suppose this isn't as consequential as spending money, but I'll mention it anyway - what about the users who have undergone lengthy breeding projects for very specific dragons? Users who spent months or even years breeding for a particular color combo, only to have the eyes suddenly clash because of this update? I've had a project on another site be ruined after I spent ~2 years on it, and let me just say, it does not feel good. That particular instance made me so bitter that I can't bring myself to use the site anymore. Now it's happening here to other users because the new eyes ruin the plans people have been working towards for so long.

A Legacy eye type would be a good compromise, letting people that want the old eyes have them while letting those that don't keep the new ones. Users that paid for their dragons with very specific color schemes deserve to be able to keep them. Really, anyone whose dragons are now completely dead-eyed (ie. Guardians, Imperials) deserve to have that rectified. Just let people restore their dragons to the way they're supposed to look.

I'm sorry to hear about your breeding project! That really sucks. :(

One could argue that the same sort of thing happened to users who spent money on/bred for pastel dragons that were drastically altered by the CWE, but... I think a crucial difference is that the colour wheel had to be automated/standardized if it was going to expand as much as it did. Previously, the 67(?) colours on the wheel were hand-done for every gene, which was already a lot of work-- and then 100 or so new colours were added. There's no way staff could do that all by hand, at least not without taking several months for one gene!

Still sucks, and I don't get why the pastels got neon'd, but... the process behind it makes more sense, at least. Common eyes, on the other hand, didn't need to be standardized. There are only 11 Flights to make eye types for-- that's far less than the amount of dragon colours and genes that were originally hand-drawn!

On top of that, we know we're getting new eye types. There's no logical reason why Legacy eyes couldn't be added in. It's not like the CWE, where we'd have to have gotten "old Ice" and "new Ice" after the update, which would probably be hard to implement. The Legacy eye art is already there for all breeds, ages, and genders. New breeds can have pseudo-Legacy eyes, or have Common and Legacy be the same.

The art is already there and ready to be used, like it had been for the last five years.
Nineteen wrote on 2018-06-26 14:59:25:

Yeah, same here. I've got adblock on and won't be buying Gems until this issue is taken care of-- not "mentioned in an update and dismissed again"; I want it to actually be listened to. ;__;

I still come online every day, same as I always have for the last 5 years... but honestly, how hideous the new Common eyes are on almost all of my dragons, how bad Light Common looks on most hatchlings I breed, and the "ignore it and see if it goes away" feeling you mentioned has kind of killed some of my love for the site. New eye types are a cool idea, but they can't salvage my dozens of beloved permas that have been wrecked by the update.

Like I've said in earlier posts, I want to have faith; this is/was my favorite website... but I just don't know anymore. :c
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
Honestly, given how all the eyes are absolutely not standardized among types of eyes (for example, Rare Plague eyes have two colors, Rare Arcane eyes do not, and Unusual Wind eyes do), I don't see why there shouldn't be an old style of eyes. The only problem that I see is that all eyes are standardized across species and if "Old" is an eye type, then the "Old" eye type might not look the same in some colors from one species to another.

But, you know... who actually cares?
Honestly, given how all the eyes are absolutely not standardized among types of eyes (for example, Rare Plague eyes have two colors, Rare Arcane eyes do not, and Unusual Wind eyes do), I don't see why there shouldn't be an old style of eyes. The only problem that I see is that all eyes are standardized across species and if "Old" is an eye type, then the "Old" eye type might not look the same in some colors from one species to another.

Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="Almedha" date="2018-06-26 19:47:03" ] Honestly, given how all the eyes are absolutely not standardized among types of eyes (for example, Rare Plague eyes have two colors, Rare Arcane eyes do not, and Unusual Wind eyes do), I don't see why there shouldn't be an old style of eyes. The only problem that I see is that all eyes are standardized across species and if "Old" is an eye type, then the "Old" eye type might not look the same in some colors from one species to another. But, you know... who actually cares? [/quote] I wouldn't since the new standardization seems to be hit n miss to begin with. Plus the glorious thing about a legacy vial would be that it'd be totally optional. Even if it doesn't look the same or doesn't look as good on some dragons or is noticeably different between species--it ultimately doesn't matter because players can fully pick and choose which of their dragons it would appear on. If Player A thinks legacy eyes don't look good on snappers, A doesn't use them on his/her snappers. If Player B thinks that legacy eyes look totally amazing on snappers, then B can totally add them to his/her snappers. And both walk away happy.
Almedha wrote on 2018-06-26 19:47:03:

I wouldn't since the new standardization seems to be hit n miss to begin with.

Plus the glorious thing about a legacy vial would be that it'd be totally optional. Even if it doesn't look the same or doesn't look as good on some dragons or is noticeably different between species--it ultimately doesn't matter because players can fully pick and choose which of their dragons it would appear on. If Player A thinks legacy eyes don't look good on snappers, A doesn't use them on his/her snappers. If Player B thinks that legacy eyes look totally amazing on snappers, then B can totally add them to his/her snappers. And both walk away happy.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="Almedha" date="2018-06-26 19:47:03" ] Honestly, given how all the eyes are absolutely not standardized among types of eyes (for example, Rare Plague eyes have two colors, Rare Arcane eyes do not, and Unusual Wind eyes do), I don't see why there shouldn't be an old style of eyes. The only problem that I see is that all eyes are standardized across species and if "Old" is an eye type, then the "Old" eye type might not look the same in some colors from one species to another. But, you know... who actually cares? [/quote] I think it's supposed to be more that individual Flight hues are "standardized"-- Common Plague is allegedly the same across all breeds, Rare Ice is allegedly the same across all breeds, and so on. Even so, colours like Rare Lightning can look very different between dragons. But they also [i]completely[/i] ruined the lineart and shading on all breeds, and coloured in PC/Tundra sclera, so none of the colours look consistent across breeds anyway. :'/ I'm still so boggled about why they updated the lines and shading for "hue standardization"-- that's way more than just "Light Common is the same shade of yellow on all dragons".

I think it's supposed to be more that individual Flight hues are "standardized"-- Common Plague is allegedly the same across all breeds, Rare Ice is allegedly the same across all breeds, and so on. Even so, colours like Rare Lightning can look very different between dragons.

But they also completely ruined the lineart and shading on all breeds, and coloured in PC/Tundra sclera, so none of the colours look consistent across breeds anyway. :'/ I'm still so boggled about why they updated the lines and shading for "hue standardization"-- that's way more than just "Light Common is the same shade of yellow on all dragons".
PB-logo-transparent1.png gem.png Ashes | F
gem.png +4h FR time
gem.png Feel free to ping me!
[quote name="Ningyo" date="2018-06-26 20:20:45" ] [quote name="Almedha" date="2018-06-26 19:47:03" ] Honestly, given how all the eyes are absolutely not standardized among types of eyes (for example, Rare Plague eyes have two colors, Rare Arcane eyes do not, and Unusual Wind eyes do), I don't see why there shouldn't be an old style of eyes. The only problem that I see is that all eyes are standardized across species and if "Old" is an eye type, then the "Old" eye type might not look the same in some colors from one species to another. But, you know... who actually cares? [/quote] I think it's supposed to be more that individual Flight hues are "standardized"-- Common Plague is allegedly the same across all breeds, Rare Ice is allegedly the same across all breeds, and so on. Even so, colours like Rare Lightning can look very different between dragons. But they also [i]completely[/i] ruined the lineart and shading on all breeds, and coloured in PC/Tundra sclera, so none of the colours look consistent across breeds anyway. :'/ I'm still so boggled about why they updated the lines and shading for "hue standardization"-- that's way more than just "Light Common is the same shade of yellow on all dragons". [/quote] Yeah. But if you're gonna be standardized, then [i]be standardized[/i], is my thing. You can't say, "It was for standardization!" and then be like, "Oh, yeah, but we just did whatever we wanted in these respects. That part isn't supposed to be standardized." So. Like. Why did you care so much about standardizing, then? Especially if you're going to change something that people have had for three, four years and more. I'm overall okay with the new eyes, except for Bogsneaks. It also bothers me a little that Wind eyes are yellow. But given that there is an entire new feature surrounding giving dragons different eyes, I don't know why the old eyes couldn't be one of the different eyes.
Ningyo wrote on 2018-06-26 20:20:45:

I think it's supposed to be more that individual Flight hues are "standardized"-- Common Plague is allegedly the same across all breeds, Rare Ice is allegedly the same across all breeds, and so on. Even so, colours like Rare Lightning can look very different between dragons.

But they also completely ruined the lineart and shading on all breeds, and coloured in PC/Tundra sclera, so none of the colours look consistent across breeds anyway. :'/ I'm still so boggled about why they updated the lines and shading for "hue standardization"-- that's way more than just "Light Common is the same shade of yellow on all dragons".
Yeah. But if you're gonna be standardized, then be standardized, is my thing. You can't say, "It was for standardization!" and then be like, "Oh, yeah, but we just did whatever we wanted in these respects. That part isn't supposed to be standardized." So. Like. Why did you care so much about standardizing, then?

Especially if you're going to change something that people have had for three, four years and more.

I'm overall okay with the new eyes, except for Bogsneaks. It also bothers me a little that Wind eyes are yellow. But given that there is an entire new feature surrounding giving dragons different eyes, I don't know why the old eyes couldn't be one of the different eyes.
Cheerful Chime Almedha | share project
Fandragons
Lore Starts Here (WIP)
I collect Pulsing Relics!
candle-smol.png ____
47432632.png
[quote name="@gemajgall" date="2018-06-26 20:10:26" ] Plus the glorious thing about a legacy vial would be that it'd be totally optional. Even if it doesn't look the same or doesn't look as good on some dragons or is noticeably different between species--it ultimately doesn't matter because players can fully pick and choose which of their dragons it would appear on. If Player A thinks legacy eyes don't look good on snappers, A doesn't use them on his/her snappers. If Player B thinks that legacy eyes look totally amazing on snappers, then B can totally add them to his/her snappers. And both walk away happy. [/quote] This. When there are so many issues surrounding the eyes that, unfortunately, can't be fixed at this point without making [b]somebody[/b] unhappy, it's mystifying that this solution, which would do so much good and absolutely [b]zero[/b] harm, is still being overlooked. edit: Sorry about that!
@gemajgall wrote on 2018-06-26 20:10:26:
Plus the glorious thing about a legacy vial would be that it'd be totally optional. Even if it doesn't look the same or doesn't look as good on some dragons or is noticeably different between species--it ultimately doesn't matter because players can fully pick and choose which of their dragons it would appear on. If Player A thinks legacy eyes don't look good on snappers, A doesn't use them on his/her snappers. If Player B thinks that legacy eyes look totally amazing on snappers, then B can totally add them to his/her snappers. And both walk away happy.

This. When there are so many issues surrounding the eyes that, unfortunately, can't be fixed at this point without making somebody unhappy, it's mystifying that this solution, which would do so much good and absolutely zero harm, is still being overlooked.

edit: Sorry about that!
Y2CN2aK.png wc26tNn.png
Thanks for the agreement but please don't ping me.
Thanks for the agreement but please don't ping me.
Pings are disabled.

If writers are supposed to "show not tell," why are we called "storytellers" and not "storyshow-ers"?
[quote name="@Almedha" date="2018-06-26 20:39:59" ] [quote name="@Ningyo" date="2018-06-26 20:20:45" ] But they also [i]completely[/i] ruined the lineart and shading on all breeds, and coloured in PC/Tundra sclera, so none of the colours look consistent across breeds anyway. :'/ I'm still so boggled about why they updated the lines and shading for "hue standardization"-- that's way more than just "Light Common is the same shade of yellow on all dragons". [/quote] Yeah. But if you're gonna be standardized, then [i]be standardized[/i], is my thing. You can't say, "It was for standardization!" and then be like, "Oh, yeah, but we just did whatever we wanted in these respects. That part isn't supposed to be standardized." So. Like. Why did you care so much about standardizing, then? [/quote] I'm fairly sure the real reason for new lineart was just that having multiple eye tints required a template system similar to gene colors (so instead of drawing each tint for each breed by hand, they could just draw each breed once and then pick the colors for each tint and have the system automatically make all the eyes), and they didn't have the old eye artwork in a format that was compatible with a template system, so they needed to draw new lineart to make it work. And "standardization" is just the generic word they're using for this. So it [i]was[/i] necessary in a sense - but they could have done it in a way that kept the result close to the old eyes, and instead they clearly decided to do an update instead. /sigh And art updates can be good, some of the new eyes are probably better right now. But please give us a legacy option for the dragons that definitely don't look better.
@Almedha wrote on 2018-06-26 20:39:59:
@Ningyo wrote on 2018-06-26 20:20:45:
Yeah. But if you're gonna be standardized, then be standardized, is my thing. You can't say, "It was for standardization!" and then be like, "Oh, yeah, but we just did whatever we wanted in these respects. That part isn't supposed to be standardized." So. Like. Why did you care so much about standardizing, then?

I'm fairly sure the real reason for new lineart was just that having multiple eye tints required a template system similar to gene colors (so instead of drawing each tint for each breed by hand, they could just draw each breed once and then pick the colors for each tint and have the system automatically make all the eyes), and they didn't have the old eye artwork in a format that was compatible with a template system, so they needed to draw new lineart to make it work. And "standardization" is just the generic word they're using for this. So it was necessary in a sense - but they could have done it in a way that kept the result close to the old eyes, and instead they clearly decided to do an update instead. /sigh

And art updates can be good, some of the new eyes are probably better right now. But please give us a legacy option for the dragons that definitely don't look better.
1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 57 58