Back

Flight Rising Discussion

Discuss everything and anything Flight Rising.
TOPIC | Breed names in your language
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
@thace
that's a really good conclusion
@thace
that's a really good conclusion
Art Shop
Africa's Brewing Service!
Perma Challenge
Hello there, fellow rain enthusiasts. I bless rains, for free! That's quite a deal, if you ask me- I can fill up your local water reserve and sprinkle your garden, all at the same time!
@Fluoroantimonic
Hey there! I'm the one who suggested Danceciel and Filemarais before :3 I also used Attrapeperle, though like you I don't know if I like it better than Attrapeur de Perle... And I guess Wildclaw is the same for all French people, the littéral translation sounds pretty nice already.

Anyway, I love the idea of Reflet instead of Miroir, it sounds much cooler ! Same goes for Elfelins for Faes, it's lovely :3
@Fluoroantimonic
Hey there! I'm the one who suggested Danceciel and Filemarais before :3 I also used Attrapeperle, though like you I don't know if I like it better than Attrapeur de Perle... And I guess Wildclaw is the same for all French people, the littéral translation sounds pretty nice already.

Anyway, I love the idea of Reflet instead of Miroir, it sounds much cooler ! Same goes for Elfelins for Faes, it's lovely :3
2H1KHHC.png
@thace I think lot of people ended up leaving Coatl as it is because they either don't know where the word comes from, or they figure it's just a shortened form of Quetzalcoatl the diety (or really want to keep it Aztec). Coatl is the (Classical) Nahuatl word for snake/serpent, so in most languages I'd probably either use the language's word for snake, or the word for snake in the region's ancient/aboriginal language @Lawkuroi [quote name="Lawkuroi" date="2018-05-10 07:57:28" ] Gah! Our country has too much language to bear with. I guess I'll use my local dialect. Guardian= Tigbantay Fae=? Imperial=? Mirror= Samin Coatl=? Wildclaw= ihalas nga kulamoy Tundra=? Spiral= kilikos Snapper=?? Skydancer= tigsayaw sa langit Ridgeback= luyong gi taytay Pearlcatcher= tigdakop ug perlas Nocturne= Gabii [/quote] That's Cebuano, right? At first I thought it was Tagalog (not that I can write in Tagalog, but I can speak a little and understand a lot of what's said in conversations/soap operas). It's really cool seeing languages from the Philippines here :D
@thace
I think lot of people ended up leaving Coatl as it is because they either don't know where the word comes from, or they figure it's just a shortened form of Quetzalcoatl the diety (or really want to keep it Aztec).
Coatl is the (Classical) Nahuatl word for snake/serpent, so in most languages I'd probably either use the language's word for snake, or the word for snake in the region's ancient/aboriginal language

@Lawkuroi
Lawkuroi wrote on 2018-05-10 07:57:28:
Gah! Our country has too much language to bear with. I guess I'll use my local dialect.

Guardian= Tigbantay
Fae=?
Imperial=?
Mirror= Samin
Coatl=?
Wildclaw= ihalas nga kulamoy
Tundra=?
Spiral= kilikos
Snapper=??
Skydancer= tigsayaw sa langit
Ridgeback= luyong gi taytay
Pearlcatcher= tigdakop ug perlas
Nocturne= Gabii

That's Cebuano, right? At first I thought it was Tagalog (not that I can write in Tagalog, but I can speak a little and understand a lot of what's said in conversations/soap operas). It's really cool seeing languages from the Philippines here :D
4NA9bEO.gif
Need an ice nest? Just send food
I train dragons! Elemental egg or 250kt/g to lvl25, 2-3 days
If you're waiting on a response, please check username spelling and ping/PM again :)
mTHWciO.gif tumblr_inline_nsthqhH2Q11s23g03_540.png
[quote name="@LynterriaHatake" date="2018-05-11 06:00:02" ] I think lot of people ended up leaving Coatl as it is because they either don't know where the word comes from, or they figure it's just a shortened form of Quetzalcoatl the diety (or really want to keep it Aztec). Coatl is the (Classical) Nahuatl word for snake/serpent, so in most languages I'd probably either use the language's word for snake, or the word for snake in the region's ancient/aboriginal language [/quote] I figured it was something to that effect, but I still think it's super interesting that something can be so consistent across so many cultures. Thanks, I never made the connection to that last part!
@LynterriaHatake wrote on 2018-05-11 06:00:02:
I think lot of people ended up leaving Coatl as it is because they either don't know where the word comes from, or they figure it's just a shortened form of Quetzalcoatl the diety (or really want to keep it Aztec).
Coatl is the (Classical) Nahuatl word for snake/serpent, so in most languages I'd probably either use the language's word for snake, or the word for snake in the region's ancient/aboriginal language
I figured it was something to that effect, but I still think it's super interesting that something can be so consistent across so many cultures. Thanks, I never made the connection to that last part!
dDVbBvO.pngaOKWJGu.gif
*feeling very awkward, because doesn`t know if there are some romanians on the site*
Ok, actually I am moldavian, but this is kinda the same language. Let`s start:
Guardian - Paznic
Fae - Zâna.
Imperial - Regesc \ imperial o3o
Tundra - Tundra
Skydancer - Dansatorul cerului
Bogsneak - Mlastina se strecura. (if we translate it to english - The marsh is sneaking :\ )
Coatl - Coatl
Mirror - Oglinda
Nocturne - Nocturna
Pearlcatcher - Prinzator de perle
Ridgeback - Creasta de spate
Snapper - Agrafa
Spiral - Spiral?
Wildclaw - Gheara salbatica

waaa, the main letter is missing, FR doesn`t like it :c
I will change them in simple "a", but if you wanted to know what was that letter - it was like "a", but with sombrero on the head. xD
Also in the Bogsneak translation there was an "s", but with tail.
*feeling very awkward, because doesn`t know if there are some romanians on the site*
Ok, actually I am moldavian, but this is kinda the same language. Let`s start:
Guardian - Paznic
Fae - Zâna.
Imperial - Regesc \ imperial o3o
Tundra - Tundra
Skydancer - Dansatorul cerului
Bogsneak - Mlastina se strecura. (if we translate it to english - The marsh is sneaking :\ )
Coatl - Coatl
Mirror - Oglinda
Nocturne - Nocturna
Pearlcatcher - Prinzator de perle
Ridgeback - Creasta de spate
Snapper - Agrafa
Spiral - Spiral?
Wildclaw - Gheara salbatica

waaa, the main letter is missing, FR doesn`t like it :c
I will change them in simple "a", but if you wanted to know what was that letter - it was like "a", but with sombrero on the head. xD
Also in the Bogsneak translation there was an "s", but with tail.
r7LsxK2.png
@KitchenOfDeath here we goes, my first language is polish

Guardian - obronca
Fae - wrozka
Imperial - cesarski / majestatyczny
Tundra - tundra
Skydancer - tancerz nieba
Bogsneak - bagienny skradacz
Coatl - coatl
Mirror - Lustro
Nocturne - nokturn
Pearlcatcher - perlowy lapacz
Ridgeback - (this one is hard) prega grzbietowa
Snapper - lamacz
Spiral - spirala
Wildclaw - dziki pazur
@KitchenOfDeath here we goes, my first language is polish

Guardian - obronca
Fae - wrozka
Imperial - cesarski / majestatyczny
Tundra - tundra
Skydancer - tancerz nieba
Bogsneak - bagienny skradacz
Coatl - coatl
Mirror - Lustro
Nocturne - nokturn
Pearlcatcher - perlowy lapacz
Ridgeback - (this one is hard) prega grzbietowa
Snapper - lamacz
Spiral - spirala
Wildclaw - dziki pazur
g9hf0Da.png *Zavi
*any pronouns
*old cryptid
r0FIu06.png
Heck. My first language, but I had to look up a couple words lol.

Guardian= Tagabantay
Fae=?
Imperial=Imperyal
Mirror= Salamin
Coatl=?
Wildclaw= Mabangis na kuko
Tundra=?
Spiral= Pilipit
Snapper= Sikmat
Skydancer= Mananayaw sa langit
Ridgeback= Taluktok na likod
Pearlcatcher= Tagasalo ng perlas
Nocturne= Gabi

Language: Tagalog

The other three breeds don't have literal translations as far as I know.
Heck. My first language, but I had to look up a couple words lol.

Guardian= Tagabantay
Fae=?
Imperial=Imperyal
Mirror= Salamin
Coatl=?
Wildclaw= Mabangis na kuko
Tundra=?
Spiral= Pilipit
Snapper= Sikmat
Skydancer= Mananayaw sa langit
Ridgeback= Taluktok na likod
Pearlcatcher= Tagasalo ng perlas
Nocturne= Gabi

Language: Tagalog

The other three breeds don't have literal translations as far as I know.
flightrising_forum_mephistopheles_by_sunfaun-dbffmeb.png
How about some Scottish Gaelic?

Guardian - Dìdionnair
Fae - Sìth
Imperial - technically Impireil but I think Rìoghail would be a more common usage
Tundra - Dail-eighe (lit. ice-field)
Skydancer - Dannsair-adhar
Bogsneak - Bleidir-churrach
Coatl - Nathair, maybe Arpag which has more mythological implications
Mirror - Sgàthan
Nocturne - Dàn-oidhchean got poetic with this one, 'Night Song'
Pearlcatcher - Glacadair-iamhann
Ridgeback - Dronnag or Cratach-lurg
Snapper - Airsear
Spiral - Sgrobhach
Wildclaw - Spàg-fiadhaich
How about some Scottish Gaelic?

Guardian - Dìdionnair
Fae - Sìth
Imperial - technically Impireil but I think Rìoghail would be a more common usage
Tundra - Dail-eighe (lit. ice-field)
Skydancer - Dannsair-adhar
Bogsneak - Bleidir-churrach
Coatl - Nathair, maybe Arpag which has more mythological implications
Mirror - Sgàthan
Nocturne - Dàn-oidhchean got poetic with this one, 'Night Song'
Pearlcatcher - Glacadair-iamhann
Ridgeback - Dronnag or Cratach-lurg
Snapper - Airsear
Spiral - Sgrobhach
Wildclaw - Spàg-fiadhaich
My first language is English, but I took 4 years of Latin and still know some vocab words and declensions and conjugations and such, so with the help of dictionaries and my memory let's go ROMAN!

Guardian: Custos (which I don't like cuz I'm sure I learned a different word for this)
Fae: Nympha (liked it better than some other options XD)
Imperial: Dux (leader), Imperator (Emperor)
Tundra: Terra frigida
Skydancer: Saltator caeli
Bogsneak: Repere palo (to sneak in a bog...?)
Coatl: Serpens
Mirror: Speculo
Nocturne: Draco noctis (night dragon, for lack of a better alternative)
Pearlcatcher: Capere margaritam (to catch the pearl...?)
Ridgeback: Rursus spiceus
Snapper: Mordere (to bite)
Spiral: Spira
Wildclaw: Ungula fera
My first language is English, but I took 4 years of Latin and still know some vocab words and declensions and conjugations and such, so with the help of dictionaries and my memory let's go ROMAN!

Guardian: Custos (which I don't like cuz I'm sure I learned a different word for this)
Fae: Nympha (liked it better than some other options XD)
Imperial: Dux (leader), Imperator (Emperor)
Tundra: Terra frigida
Skydancer: Saltator caeli
Bogsneak: Repere palo (to sneak in a bog...?)
Coatl: Serpens
Mirror: Speculo
Nocturne: Draco noctis (night dragon, for lack of a better alternative)
Pearlcatcher: Capere margaritam (to catch the pearl...?)
Ridgeback: Rursus spiceus
Snapper: Mordere (to bite)
Spiral: Spira
Wildclaw: Ungula fera
FooterAds.gif
@LynterriaHatake Its Bisaya similar to Cebuano but it's awesome you know this obscure dialect. Most foreigners think we only speak Tagalog when there's actually many dialect in our country. Are you a Filipino too?

@Solztize Hello, fellow citizen. XD
@LynterriaHatake Its Bisaya similar to Cebuano but it's awesome you know this obscure dialect. Most foreigners think we only speak Tagalog when there's actually many dialect in our country. Are you a Filipino too?

@Solztize Hello, fellow citizen. XD
1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11