Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | Snow in Ireland!
1 2 3 4
@Altariel Yeah the snow has undoubtedly had a huge impact on transport across Ireland, honestly, the snow has such depth today, it's like an endurance test just walking down to the shops from my house. I'm sorry to hear that a lot of people couldn't make the launch, it must be a major disappointment for them all. The snow has done you all an injustice. I hope that they do something about it eventually, and I hope that you're well also. This just doesn't feel like a holiday when I can't even go anywhere, my family went to the park and the snow was up to their waists at one point! So I know how frustrating the snow can be at times
@Altariel Yeah the snow has undoubtedly had a huge impact on transport across Ireland, honestly, the snow has such depth today, it's like an endurance test just walking down to the shops from my house. I'm sorry to hear that a lot of people couldn't make the launch, it must be a major disappointment for them all. The snow has done you all an injustice. I hope that they do something about it eventually, and I hope that you're well also. This just doesn't feel like a holiday when I can't even go anywhere, my family went to the park and the snow was up to their waists at one point! So I know how frustrating the snow can be at times
giphy.gif
@pirealu
Snow's quite common where I'm from. It's more unusual NOT to have at least some during winter. We've had snow most of February now and with the temperature during the past week having been -15C or lower I am honestly ready for some spring right about now.
Last year we had some really weird weather with barely any snow and pretty warm temperatures. When it did snow it would melt again pretty quickly. Problem was this persisted well into May. MAY! We had 0C temps and light snow in freaking MAY!.
@pirealu
Snow's quite common where I'm from. It's more unusual NOT to have at least some during winter. We've had snow most of February now and with the temperature during the past week having been -15C or lower I am honestly ready for some spring right about now.
Last year we had some really weird weather with barely any snow and pretty warm temperatures. When it did snow it would melt again pretty quickly. Problem was this persisted well into May. MAY! We had 0C temps and light snow in freaking MAY!.
@pirealu at least you have a rational reaction to it. If you haven’t had snow in 8 years it makes sense to freak out. Where I live, (Virginia, USA) people freak out if there is an inch of snow. Like everything is canceled, and if there is a little snow on the ground they don’t let kids out for recess. And today we had school canceled because of wind.
@pirealu at least you have a rational reaction to it. If you haven’t had snow in 8 years it makes sense to freak out. Where I live, (Virginia, USA) people freak out if there is an inch of snow. Like everything is canceled, and if there is a little snow on the ground they don’t let kids out for recess. And today we had school canceled because of wind.
FR +3, they/them :)
@Shalabele That's so cool! Over the years we did get light snow occasionally around February, March, but it was absolutely nothing compared to what we have now! Ireland has had pretty heavy snow in 1982, 2009, 2010 and of course 2018. The temperature in Dublin and where I live is currently 1°C. I suppose it could be much worse, I think last night temperatures were as low as -7°C.
@Shalabele That's so cool! Over the years we did get light snow occasionally around February, March, but it was absolutely nothing compared to what we have now! Ireland has had pretty heavy snow in 1982, 2009, 2010 and of course 2018. The temperature in Dublin and where I live is currently 1°C. I suppose it could be much worse, I think last night temperatures were as low as -7°C.
giphy.gif
@xmoonlightx1 Oh I'm telling you, the whole country is cancelled because of how much snow is here at the moment. It's all over the news and it's the only thing that people are talking about on the TV. All schools and universities in Leinster and Munster have been closed since Wednesday and they are not due to reopen until next week. I wore sunglasses when I went outside just to prevent snow from getting into my eyes.
@xmoonlightx1 Oh I'm telling you, the whole country is cancelled because of how much snow is here at the moment. It's all over the news and it's the only thing that people are talking about on the TV. All schools and universities in Leinster and Munster have been closed since Wednesday and they are not due to reopen until next week. I wore sunglasses when I went outside just to prevent snow from getting into my eyes.
giphy.gif
@pirealu oh wow that’s pretty bad
I just looked it up on google
Honestly if something like that happened here we would probably have school canceled for a month and the roads would be unrecognizable as roads and recognizable as salt fields and then even if there wasn’t any snow on the roads we probably wouldn’t be able to drive because of all the salt
And because I only live like 20 something miles away from D.C. the whole government would probably panic and shut down
@pirealu oh wow that’s pretty bad
I just looked it up on google
Honestly if something like that happened here we would probably have school canceled for a month and the roads would be unrecognizable as roads and recognizable as salt fields and then even if there wasn’t any snow on the roads we probably wouldn’t be able to drive because of all the salt
And because I only live like 20 something miles away from D.C. the whole government would probably panic and shut down
@xmoonlightx1 I couldn't even imagine all of the hard work some people have to do to clear the snow off of the roads to allow vehicles to drive around, but earlier on a lot of people were just walking on the roads because there were no cars out and the snow on the footpath was just so deep that it was physically really exhausting trying to trench your way through. How often would you guys get snow in Virginia?
@xmoonlightx1 I couldn't even imagine all of the hard work some people have to do to clear the snow off of the roads to allow vehicles to drive around, but earlier on a lot of people were just walking on the roads because there were no cars out and the snow on the footpath was just so deep that it was physically really exhausting trying to trench your way through. How often would you guys get snow in Virginia?
giphy.gif
@pirealu in the winter we get it maybe every few weeks, but if we get like an inch or more school is canceled. But if we got a really big storm or an ice storm, school is canceled for a week or more, but if it’s snow on the scale you guys are getting in Ireland, we would probably run out of snow plows and the with the sidewalks we would have to get a lot of people to shovel it or just wait for all the snow and ice to melt
Even my dad calls it dumb and he grew up in like a desert in Southern California or something.
@pirealu in the winter we get it maybe every few weeks, but if we get like an inch or more school is canceled. But if we got a really big storm or an ice storm, school is canceled for a week or more, but if it’s snow on the scale you guys are getting in Ireland, we would probably run out of snow plows and the with the sidewalks we would have to get a lot of people to shovel it or just wait for all the snow and ice to melt
Even my dad calls it dumb and he grew up in like a desert in Southern California or something.
@xmoonlightx1 I see, well you do need to make a way for people to walk through in these cases. I probably won't be leaving my house very much over the next few days I can tell you that. I just feel like I'm living in Antarctica I can't deal. I know I'm being dramatic but I don't like staying in all of the time.
@xmoonlightx1 I see, well you do need to make a way for people to walk through in these cases. I probably won't be leaving my house very much over the next few days I can tell you that. I just feel like I'm living in Antarctica I can't deal. I know I'm being dramatic but I don't like staying in all of the time.
giphy.gif
Munster here! The roads are full of snowmen, the shop queues are half an hour long, schools are closed and nobody can drive anywhere. In my town there's about 4 shops open, it's wild here aha.
Munster here! The roads are full of snowmen, the shop queues are half an hour long, schools are closed and nobody can drive anywhere. In my town there's about 4 shops open, it's wild here aha.
1 2 3 4