Back

General Discussion

Discuss your favorites: TV shows, music, games and hobbies.
TOPIC | American only sweets?
I'm curious what are some of the American sweets chocolate or otherwise...
My friend is sending a care package for the holidays and I mentioned having some candy would be neat, until I realized I don't actually know what ones I wouldn't be able to get here. (In Canada)

Relative to this, what are some Canadian sweets you've always wanted to try? Sadly kinder can't count, as it's illegal to bring over the boarder.

Thanks for the help!
I'm curious what are some of the American sweets chocolate or otherwise...
My friend is sending a care package for the holidays and I mentioned having some candy would be neat, until I realized I don't actually know what ones I wouldn't be able to get here. (In Canada)

Relative to this, what are some Canadian sweets you've always wanted to try? Sadly kinder can't count, as it's illegal to bring over the boarder.

Thanks for the help!
yGResdm.gif
Not a candy but a snack cake, I think Moonpies are exclusively American but I could be wrong, they look like this [img]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91XTwaLi%2ByL._SX355_.jpg[/img]
Not a candy but a snack cake, I think Moonpies are exclusively American but I could be wrong, they look like this
91XTwaLi%2ByL._SX355_.jpg
[quote name="thesmallestshark" date=2017-12-22 04:38:23] Sadly kinder can't count, as it's illegal to bring over the boarder. [/quote] Only the traditional "surprise inside" kind, we've got a different version without the toy inside (it is included, just not inside the candy) that has fairly recently come out called [url=https://www.kinder.com/us/en/]Kinder Joy[/url].
thesmallestshark wrote on 2017-12-22:
Sadly kinder can't count, as it's illegal to bring over the boarder.

Only the traditional "surprise inside" kind, we've got a different version without the toy inside (it is included, just not inside the candy) that has fairly recently come out called Kinder Joy.
Formerly known as Brenning.
American Smarties are a weird thing unto their own. They're most like Necco Wafers or candy hearts, in that they mostly taste like chalk and sugar.

American milk chocolate tastes different from what you generally see elsewhere, though the exact reason why isn't clear. In my opinion it's because of a shelf-stabilization technique used by Hershey, which dominates the chocolate market here: they use butyric acid in their milk chocolate, which other manufacturers copied to mimic the taste. Butyric acid is better known as why Parmesan smells a little funky.

Also, in general, we will sweeten anything and everything with high fructose corn syrup, so everything from our sodas to our bread tastes different.

...Darn, I'm coming up blank otherwise :(

As far as Canadian candies go... Coffee Crisp bars are a wonderful thing and I wish they were distributed here.
American Smarties are a weird thing unto their own. They're most like Necco Wafers or candy hearts, in that they mostly taste like chalk and sugar.

American milk chocolate tastes different from what you generally see elsewhere, though the exact reason why isn't clear. In my opinion it's because of a shelf-stabilization technique used by Hershey, which dominates the chocolate market here: they use butyric acid in their milk chocolate, which other manufacturers copied to mimic the taste. Butyric acid is better known as why Parmesan smells a little funky.

Also, in general, we will sweeten anything and everything with high fructose corn syrup, so everything from our sodas to our bread tastes different.

...Darn, I'm coming up blank otherwise :(

As far as Canadian candies go... Coffee Crisp bars are a wonderful thing and I wish they were distributed here.
ZM3TQUN.png
@DoctorValentine You guys don't have coffee crisp!? That's....horrible. They are amazing.... I could definitely send some in a care package to my friend, as long as the heat doesn't eat them like they did my maple toffee in previous years. Those smarties sound..interesting to say the least. I'm a bit worried but maybe I'll ask for some to try, I do like candy hearts. America sounds more like the chocolate factory then a country by the way you describe it lol, although I do know that most things are very sweet over there. I've tried having some iced tea near the boarder once when travelling and it was far sweeter then any tea we have here. @Brenning That's only started to be legal within the first month of the new year, not this year, which is when I plan to send the package :( @Barrypaws I have to admit those look very disgusting XD but I do like mallow snacks. I think it's mostly the off white/yellow colours that make me inwardly cringe. We have something similar (at least shape wise) called Jos-louis [img]https://i5.walmartimages.ca/images/Enlarge/-05/600/999999-60737-05600.jpg[/img] which is two red velvet cakes with cream filling inside and chocolate coating. Honestly best snack.
@DoctorValentine

You guys don't have coffee crisp!? That's....horrible. They are amazing.... I could definitely send some in a care package to my friend, as long as the heat doesn't eat them like they did my maple toffee in previous years.
Those smarties sound..interesting to say the least. I'm a bit worried but maybe I'll ask for some to try, I do like candy hearts.

America sounds more like the chocolate factory then a country by the way you describe it lol, although I do know that most things are very sweet over there. I've tried having some iced tea near the boarder once when travelling and it was far sweeter then any tea we have here.

@Brenning

That's only started to be legal within the first month of the new year, not this year, which is when I plan to send the package :(

@Barrypaws

I have to admit those look very disgusting XD but I do like mallow snacks. I think it's mostly the off white/yellow colours that make me inwardly cringe.
We have something similar (at least shape wise) called Jos-louis 999999-60737-05600.jpg which is two red velvet cakes with cream filling inside and chocolate coating. Honestly best snack.
yGResdm.gif
Hmmm I forget if Spree and Bottlecaps are US only candies :U
Hmmm I forget if Spree and Bottlecaps are US only candies :U
28932619_ol7.gif ...
tyrian | she/her | +3
tumblr | toyhouse | fandragons
Swedish fish, 100 Grand bars, sugar babies, Heath bars, and Milky ways, based off of candy swap videos on youtube! Those ones are the most common/popular where I live (California) that I think are good that Canada doesn't seem to have

100 Grand bars are one of my favorite sweets, but i like all of those ones. Sugar babies are not as popular because they stick to your teeth!
Swedish fish, 100 Grand bars, sugar babies, Heath bars, and Milky ways, based off of candy swap videos on youtube! Those ones are the most common/popular where I live (California) that I think are good that Canada doesn't seem to have

100 Grand bars are one of my favorite sweets, but i like all of those ones. Sugar babies are not as popular because they stick to your teeth!
Accent_Banner.pngHatchery_Banner.png
35674625.png36307371.png